The Salvation Army
2,351 reviews

The Salvation Army Employer Reviews

Helping to raise money for the needy
Bell Ringer (Former Employee), Independence, MOJanuary 4, 2015
Pros: lots of break's
Cold weather better dress warm. Dress in layers. management understanding. great bunch of people, Cold weather. A full kettle at the end of my shift. The people who donate are very grateful that your out there day after day thank me for doing it and buying me a cup of hot coffee.
Great Non-profit company
Dispatcher (Current Employee), Oakland, CAJanuary 4, 2015
The Salvation Army is a great place to work for if you want to give back to the community.
Productive place to work at.
Internship I (Former Employee), Cadillac MIJanuary 3, 2015
They do so much to help the commutity. I did most of the required tasks .except for the cash register.
Strong customer service skills a must!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Portland, MEJanuary 2, 2015
Pros: fun enviroment
Cons: clientele at this particular salvation army location
I priced and set up displays for donated merchandise.
I loved seeing all the items coming in, I like working with people. Strong customer service skills were a must for this job, due to the culture, clientele, and co-workers.
Weds. was half price day. The business of the day usually doubled due to price reduction. We often had antique dealers come in to find that special item to re sell at their shops.
I learned so much about how to price items the correct way, at a fair price. Many times research was essential for this.
A really great place to work, everyone here is amazing
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Spokane WAJanuary 2, 2015
*Sometimes its really busy but Its always a good day here
*I learned how to help unfortunate people
*The management is amazing
*The people that work at the salvation army are always kind
*The hardest thing about working here is telling people No
*The most enjoyable part about being here is helping people that need it
salvation army
salvation Army (Former Employee), Fitchburg, MADecember 31, 2014
Pros: feeling like family, having holidays off
Cons: pay rate, not enough job opportunities
Working at salvation army, was one of the best jobs i have ever had besides the lack of working conditons. i enjoyed working with different types of people with problems or without. i gained new skills to work with the disabled and in the christian organization. i learned to help my peers out with problems when encountered on, new cash handling skills, working as a team to help charity out. the most enjoyable part of woeking there is that you felt like family 100 percent. the pay rate wasnt all that great or thr benefits, but the help was great. learning to help those in need was a great motto to follow.everyone there worked as a fsmily
Not worth it.
Lead Store Clerk (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNDecember 30, 2014
Pros: flexible break schedule
Cons: low pay, hot working enviroments
I've worked for this company almost a year, within that time, my work ethic moved me from Store Clerk to Lead Store Clerk in about 4 months time. The major downside is the low pay with high-wage responsibilities. The company in itself isn't bad to work for, but overall, they give very little and ask a lot.
I enjoyed ringing the bell at Christmas to help the people in need.
Bell Ringer (Former Employee), Marietta, OHDecember 30, 2014
Pros: helping people
Cons: weather too cold
I rang the bell for donations for people to help them thru Christmas. I learnt a lot about people and most were very generous. There wasn't anything hard about the job other than the cold weather. The most enjoyable part about my job was helping people.
Really good place to work!!!
Volunteer/Intern (Former Employee), Southfield, MIDecember 30, 2014
Pros: learn so many great things!!!
Cons: nothing
This organization really does what it can to change and uplift the world. By providing services that really change lives, and I was able to witness this. My life was impacted by the drive the employees to go over and beyond.
productive and fun workplace with bells
Bell Ringer (Former Employee), Berlin, NHDecember 30, 2014
Pros: left to own devices
Productive and fun workplace with bells
a day at work was collecting money
I learned how to professionally ring a bell
the management was great
my coworkers were great
there is nothing hard about this job
the most enjoyment I got out of this job was watching all the excited children as Christmas aproached
Did my internship at the Elyria, ohio center. It was a nice experience, but could use some improvement.
Operations Assistant-internship (Former Employee), Elyria, OHDecember 30, 2014
I learned alot, but some improvement is needed. I was expecting more hands on work, but instead didnt get to do much. Too much emphasis was put on my weight, and not where it should have been, I felt the organization was discriminating against me because of non important issues.
Kettle Worker Summary
Kettle Worker (Former Employee), Coatesville, PADecember 29, 2014
Pros: knowing i was helping someone other than myself.
Cons: bitter cold and people assuming i was asking for money when stating "good morning".
Ringing the bell to capture customer attention as I greeted them during the holiday season, to support donations given.

Engaging people as they approached, met children who would bring their parents to me and made work pleasant and worth the agony of enduring the bitter weather of the season.
Pathetic Workplace
Bell Ringer (Former Employee), Logan, WVDecember 29, 2014
Pros: n/a
Cons: the lt. is rude, one 30 min lunch during 10 hr shift
the Salvation Army in Logan, is completely out of line. They are disrespectful to almost all employees , and the Lt. is worthless
Helpful to the Community
VOLUNTEER (Current Employee), Yonkers, NYDecember 29, 2014
Being able to distribute goods to the less fortunate such as food toys etc. Helping in the office with paper work, program youth leader, and fitness instructor during the week.
Very friendly environment especially with greeting the customers
Store Clerk (Former Employee), Newnan, GADecember 28, 2014
Pros: employee discounts.
Cons: long hours
We were a family here. Everyone watched out for everyone and we built strong friendships. The customers that were regulars formed bonds with us that made going to work enjoyable.
It was nice seeing people i knew.
Bellringer (Former Employee), Bakersfield, CADecember 27, 2014
Pros: there were breaks at 12 and 4 for 15 minutes and a half hour lunch at two.
Cons: it only lasted a little over month
A typical day at work would be standing from 10 am to 630 pm in front of a store and ringing a bell. I would greet the people who came and tell the people leaving to have a nice day. It was a very easy job for me but a lot of people apparently didn't last.
very good organization
Group Home Supervisor (Former Employee), New York, NYDecember 22, 2014
productive and good organization to wok for. I learned the important of listening and establishing a good and healthyrelationship with those you are helping.
Great Experience
SUMMER DAY CAMP ASST. LEAD; SOCIAL SERVICES REP (Former Employee), Lodi, CaDecember 22, 2014
Working with The Salvation Army is great because its great security and reliability
great work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee), vancouver,waDecember 22, 2014
Pros: in my area, great co-workers, loving customers
Cons: late breaks, write ups for nothing, and too much stress
the salvation army was my first job. I worked there for 9 months because it was a wonderful work place. great employees and the management was very helpful when training it's employees. after I got hired for part time work I leaned how to work the cash register and help close the tills after hours. my co-workers became a second family to me we we're a great team. the hardest part of my job was when the store closed. the most enjoyable part was getting to work with a lot of great people in great community.
Non productive
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Charlotte, NCDecember 21, 2014
Pros: good benifits
Cons: unskilled managerw
Employment is for those who are called to do this type of work. Very little opportunity for advancement and job creation.

About The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army is a Christian church known for its thrift stores and charity work. It is an international movement that works – Read more

The Salvation Army Photos