The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

Found 2,628 reviews matching the search
Productive and rewarding.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Burbank, CAApril 6, 2013
Each day was an unpredictable at the Salvation Army. Almost everyday I was sent off to do something different, Whether it was packing food boxes, cleaning up trash around the building, or working the front desk. Once I became the only Receptionist, it began to feel like work. I always had to put files back into the right spot alphabetically and the phone never stopped ringing. Whenever I had a question, my boss was there to answer any question I had. My Co-workers were all different. Some were officers in the Army and some where officers from the Fire Station. The hardest part of the job was getting phone calls and not having someone around to answer the questions I was unsure they had. If I did not know the answer I learned it is better to take down their full name, number, and a message so I can just get back to them with the right information. I enjoyed handing a family a food box or two, or joining a new member in my signing them up into the Salvation Army program. I could personally say the Salvation Army was one of my best work experiences because it gave me a taste of the office life.
Pros
free breakfast, calm enviroment, friendly co-workers
Cons
short breaks
Don't believe I should be forced to review any place I've worked
Volunteer Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Warren, OHOctober 19, 2015
This is a job I was assigned to in exchange for food stamps and a monthly $25 assistance voucher. Most people I worked with were nice/fun! There was always something to do to keep busy, which was great! However, the store I worked at needs cleaned top to bottom (ex. dusting, cleaning floors/shelves/display cases/windows), it looks old and outdated and could be remodeled (if at all possible by using abilities of the community, resources and/or assistance from churches affiliated with The salvation Army), better restroom (cleaner, especially since we're all busy usually all day, so this is hard to tend to, and employees share one bathroom with customers) and more restrooms (this could fall under remodeling suggestion), better layout of store/products and better layout of stockroom (update of stockroom procedures, too), and better heating/cooling units (especially in stockroom).
Pros
Managers treat people like adults, free bread/sweets provided by local stores
Cons
Ensuring clothing merch is put back in correct place, processing consolidations, multiple sections for similar products (confusing)
I was the volunteer coordinator
Volunteer Coordinator (Former Employee) –  La Crosse, WIAugust 6, 2014
• Recruitment of volunteers to fulfill the needs of those living in the emergency homeless shelter and local Corp needs.
• Assist staff to locate volunteers with the right skills to help residents find jobs, write resumes, get haircuts, learn interviewing skills, find volunteers to mentor residents, provide counseling, graphic design, etc
• Worked with those in need of court ordered community service and literally hundreds of students from Viterbo, UWL and WTC – worked with Sheryl Jacobson, teacher in the nursing program at Viterbo to make her service learning program highly effective for her students.
• Administrator for two large databases to keep stats on volunteer hours and service.
• Developed and lead summer “Feed the Kids” program, “Back to school” program.
• Developed, during Christmas season, “Angel Tree” program, “Coats for Kids” program, recruited bell ringers for the Red Kettle campaign (nearly 3000 this past season)
• Strong multi-tasking skills.
• Kept databases to evaluate programs for improvement.
Pros
great staff, awesome volunteers!
Cons
hard place to work with so many sad stories and so many homeless families!
Communication and compensation sucks
Floor Supervisor (Current Employee) –  New Baltimore, MINovember 12, 2014
Salvation Army exploits the poor...to help the less fortunate???

They pay minimum wage (29 hours max) except to a select few. As a supervisor overseeing 7 people (it should be 12) I am paid a dollar more than minimum wage, as are the other supervisors in the store. It's definitely not a living wage.

We're always short staffed and hiring, however most people can't seem to a) pass the drug test at orientation or b) handle the chaotic environment.

Communication is atrocious there on every level. In the 11 months I've worked at the same store, I've had 15 different supervisors. Managers are constantly being moved (apparently they can only be at a store 1 year, but only 2/15 got to that year mark. The store manager can definitely make or break working at the store. As an employee for 11 months, I have been in my department the longest.

Employees often have low morale; due to the stress of being short staffed, and under appreciated by management.

If you stay, it's probably because you like your coworkers. It's definitely not for the $.
Pros
great people, interesting merchandise, flexibility
Cons
turn over, lack of communication, constantly short staffed
Court preparation for Legal Guardianship
Kinship Case Manager/Legal Guardianship (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJJanuary 23, 2015
My day could be very emotional. Interviewing caregivers and the children they care for explain their hardships and sometimes abandonments. Helping caregivers go through a process that would devastate them reliving their past, taking on a responsibilty of raising a child or children that is not theirs biologically without an income and walking them through with support to accomplish caring for a child with equal rights as the biological parents. My day may consists of home visits, children interviews and typing cases for the courts. My job consists of parent searches and criminal and child abuse record checks. I have been on this job for 11 years and think it is time for a change for a greater opportunity. This company has no unemployment benefits and the health insurance is sometimes not accepted by most doctors. I enjoyed helping the caregivers because it was my life being raised by my grandmother, so I took pride in my work. I work independently and I would get the job completed in timely manner.
Pros
i get to work independently.
Cons
no unemployment or room for advancement
This company has many great volunteer opportunities.
Volunteer -Kettle bell ringer (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNSeptember 30, 2012
I love to volunteer for this company, because of what everything this company believes in. I mainly volunteer standing in the freezing cold, ringing the bells while collecting donations for thier Christmas program. Salvation Army Provides assistance to individuals or families that have either low or no income with Christmas gifts, clothing, food furniture, suits for job interviews, and even help with disconnections for lights or gas bills. But that is if they get enough donations coming in. Sometimes they have to turn people away because they just didn't get enough donations. Salvation Army as well provides free medical care and dental care to individuals with no insurance, they also will try to help fill medications that your insurance won't cover, that also depends on how high the cost of the prescription is. All of the employees and volunteers are very friendly and very approachable. Salvation Army has many different functions to collect donations to cover for everything that they try to help our people here in Rochester.
Pros
many free services
Cons
not enough donations
A great place with really, really nice people.
Clerk, dock foreman (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield CAAugust 14, 2012
I had two jobs there. I was a dock foreman and a cashier /store worker. The dock workers unload and go through and sort things that are donated to the Sally. That is what all the workers called it. Some times we would have loads and loads of old clothes that we ended up bundling to sell for recycling. The workers worked hard and long hours, but they seemed to like it. When you find a job after needing one so long, you look at the work world a lot different. The toughest thing for me was learning how to deal with the public. They put me on the cash register and I learned how to deal with all sorts of people. It taught me a lot about how many people it takes just to run a little store. Everyone has their own job and if they don't do it, it ruins everything. So you have to help others sometimes so the whole thing doesn't get behind and then every thing has to stop. Not very fun. I think the way I felt after having a busy day at work and doing a good job helped me sleep like a log at night.
Pros
i had some nice bosses that really cared about the people who worked for them.
Cons
there is no way up there, they don't want you to get comfortable and stay there
Second-hand retail operation with ties to rehabilitation program.
Inbound Operator/Front Desk (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 4, 2014
An operator in the Salvation Army dispatch office receives calls all day from private citizens and businesses who have matériel they would like to donate. Operators compile a listing of all the items to be donated, then schedule a date and time which is workable for the donor and the dispatcher. Calls are received 8 hours a day, six days a week. In that position I learned the value of accuracy and the importance of following directions. The managers were helpful and did their best to handle the stress of servicing an entire city with 8 trucks. My coworkers were hardworking and pleasant. The hardest part of the job was communicating clearly to customers the vital importance of an accurate "pick-up" listing. The drivers would not pick up anything not on that list. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that all those donated items would then be sold to people who could not afford new items, and the profits would go to men and women in need of rehabilitative support.
Pros
comfortable office setting and bountiful meals.
Cons
short breaks, network issues.
A very rewarding place to work and serve others
Director of Operations (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GA / McComb, MSJuly 13, 2015
Working for The Salvation Army there is never a typical day! However, each day had its rewards. In this position I had the opportunity to hold the hands of the sick and less less fortunate offering hope to a better way of life. It was also my responsibility to raise funds to meet operational budgets for my assigned area through public speaking and awareness events. I was responsible for the area of southwest Mississippi covering the lower five counties of the state. Through this position I learned to adapt quickly to a very different culture in the workplace while never compromising my integrity. In addition I hope though my style of people management I was able to bring constructive operational procedures that enhanced the day to day operations of the command as a whole. This describes my work in McComb, Ms
My work with the Army in Atlanta was very different. There my typical day was to manage the day to day operations of the business administration and Human Resources. Some of those responsibilities included payroll and benefit processing, and account payable,
Sacramento Salvation Army was fun!
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CANovember 29, 2012
I really did love working there. I was fun. I worked at 5 different stores during the week, and got to see all of the great stuff the stores sold. Salvation Army once set the standard for other chain thrift stores .It was the Salvation Army that came up with color hanging the clothing, like all the white shirts together. They also brokered seasonal items to other organization from donations. Heavy coats, boots, for really cold weather were shipped off to brokers who resold to cold climate countries. Hot weather stuff like cottons, linens, would go to South America, or Africa. Everything was fine, until someone figured out, my boyfriend was Muslim. Then upper management started to bug me about him. Some even thought they knew the Quran/Koran, and would try to say stuff that wasn't true about Muslims. Overall my co-workers were religious and professional. They hired all ages, types, etc. So I was shocked when they started bugging me about the boyfriend. Who by the way, I still know.
Pros
easy daily work environment with co-workers
Cons
un-knowledgeable about the muslim religion, and bugged me about the boyfriend
I loved meeting and working with the people that I met.
AOD COUNSELOR / WOMENS RESIDENT ASST MANGR (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 16, 2013
There were two routines that I had to follow depending on my role of the day. Three days in the week I was Assistant Manager for The Army's Women Residential portion of their program. At 5:00 am I begin to supervise the women doing their chores and preparing to be transported, by me to the main location where I then begin to conduct regular counseling sessions, intake, assessment, case management, and a host of other duties. I learned that everyone is the same, no matter what color your skin, class, how much money you have, or education. Life touches everyone. There are several dynamics to management, there are Salvation Army Officers, regular employees and interns. My co-workers were great, I learned alot from them. The hardest part om my job was my commute. Coming and going It was at least 51/2 hours, four bridges; two under water, and being stopped by earthquakes, and never being home.The most enjoyable part of my job was being told that I made a difference in someones life.
Pros
being able to accumulate intern hours while working.
Cons
untrained management
I enjoyed working with the customers and the staff worked as a team. It was great working there.
Warehouse worker/Salesman (Former Employee) –  Brandon FL.December 10, 2012
A typical day at work for myself was getting to the store early to make sure I was in my work area and set up to start my day. I learn to take everything that I do as an employee as a challenge. If it was the first time doing a certain job, I would make it a point to take the time to listen carefully at how the manager wanted it done. After I completed the job, I would make sure it was done to managements' specifications. The next time I did the same job I would start timing myself to see how quick I could do it while keeping in mind it needed to be done in a neat and safe manner. I've always been a team player and have always gotten along with co-workers and management. As far as a hard part of the job, there was really nothing hard about it. I was taught at an early age that a job is what you make it. I really enjoyed working and helping people find what they were looking for and also having them come back and ask for me personally.
Pros
the store would sometimes buy us lunch or snacks and there was always drinks in the refridgerator
Cons
no insurance
Great opportunity to invest in peoples lives and learn new things. Look beyond yourself.
Community Center Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MIDecember 2, 2013
This Job was a great Job to have for me because it really allowed me to put to practice what I was learning at school. It pushed me to look beyond myself to other people's needs.
On a typical day at work, I would first pray with my coworkers before we start, then I would go to the bus stop and wait for the kids to get dropped off to bring them inside the building. I would help them with homework and create fun educational exercise to help them improve academically. I set up the dining hall for a snack before we go to the gym and play fun team constructive games. Then we create lessons to teach for them the bible. After the parents come pick up their children I get the gym ready for the adults in the community to come play in the open gym basketball activity. I supervised the adults and made sure that all went well and broke up the occasional confrontations. At last when it is time, we picked up all trash and close up the center for the night.
Pros
great relationships with coworkers and community.
Cons
not allowed to get too personal.
Great learning center
Pre-School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Pekin, ILNovember 13, 2013
My typical day at work would be serving all the children breakfast. Having them use the restroom when finished. After everyone was finished we would line up and either go outside or to the gym to let them run and play for an hour. When the hour was up we all lined up to come down stairs to read a book while lunch was being served. Once lunch was finished all the kids would go to the bathroom and brush their teeth, and head for nap. Usually after 2 hours they all were woke up to go to the restroom again and to line up for snack. The last part of our day the children and teachers would all go either outside or to the gym until their parents picked them up. I learned a lot working at the salvation army, such as how to calm a child when their upset. What and how to teach the younger ones. Also I gained a lot of patience and care for all of them. My co-workers all love and share the same passion as I do for the kids. The hardest part of the job was when I had to move away and leave them all. The most enjoyable part of the job was all the children running up to me screaming my name.
Pros
free breakfast, lunch.
Cons
very shork breaks
a great job to help the helpless
Case manager (Current Employee) –  Asheville, NCAugust 14, 2013
• Responsible to the RRC Director for day to day operation of the Residential Re-Entry, fulfilling the Statement of Work as issued by the Federal Bureau of Prisons
• Responsible for fulfilling custodial requirements and accountability of residents assigned to the Federal and Pre-Release Program
• Maintain a clean and orderly living, recreation and sleeping area for the resident population
• Maintain contract with community resource agencies, referral agencies and officials involved in the resident’s programs as authorized by the RRC Director
• Assist the RRC Director in the program planning, reviews, counseling, and documentation
• Compile and submit scheduled records, reports, and documentation
• Administer program duties and assignments, supervise the overall program when the RRC Director is out of the area
• Implement provision of services, budgeting and pass requests, bringing any problems to the attention of the RRC Director
• Assist in house meetings
• Appraise resident dorms progress and counsel on morale, motivation, adjustment and supportive needs
Working with others in a professional and comfortable setting
SPECIAL OPERATIONS/EMT-DRIVER (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 22, 2014
A typical day would entail advising the truck crew about the details of all of the contributions that we are going to be picking up. During the day , my interpersonal interaction with the crew bonded our commitment to teamwork, mutual cooperation and respect for each other. My experience allowed me to learn more about different cultures and people's understanding and points of views. Though management was only in radio contact with the trucks, management receive periodic appraisal of the demeanor of the crew and driver and when appropriate complimented the crews on a job well done. I had a crew of exceptional men , whose commitment to a balanced work environment, lead to cohesion amongst all of us. In my opinion there wasn't any aspect of the job that myself and the crew assigned to me could not surmount and accomplish our task. I enjoyed just working with the assigned crew and throughout the day our work experience made everyone comfortable and eager to work together .
Pros
viewing the city and interacting with people
Great Place
Production Assistant (Current Employee) –  Greece, NYJanuary 10, 2015
The schedule I work is awesome and the team I work with is great. I don't really know if there is opportunity for advancement so I rated a 3. The management is good and the culture of the place seems to be that people want to help each other. Fun place to work.

A typical day is pretty consistent. Punch in, dump, sort and hang clothing for the floor. Learned a lot about the ebb and flow of production and the charity of others. Also how to coexist with different types of people. Co-workers are awesome! Hardest part of job is being a little micromanaged and sometimes it is a little monotonous. Most enjoyable part of job is the team and the schedule.
Pros
great schedule, great team, fun place to work, nice discount on clothing, learned about ebb and flow of production, people are great, like interaction with customers, they really have nice clothing to buy, nice to see the charity of others
Cons
wish for more pay and it is a little micromanaged, would like more autonomy, good to have direction, but i would like management to be flexible, not crazy about a quota for production when certain things not controllable
Fun opportunity for musicians to make money.
Kettle Worker (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CAApril 18, 2015
A typical day at work for Salvation Army started with me going to a business like Vons or Walmart and setting up the stand with the collection bucket outside. The days were between 6 and 8 hours long 15 minute breaks and an hour lunch, if you worked 7-8 hours. Due to going to different locations every few days or so, the co-workers I had were always different, but I never had any issues with them because they all acted professionally. The hardest part of the job and the most enjoyable part were the fact that I was playing music for 6-8 hours a day. It was tough to perform at a consistent high quality after so many hours, but since I would like a career in music someday it was great to get paid to do something I love. The management did a good job of checking on us to make sure everyone was doing what they needed to be doing, and making sure nothing happened to us or the collection buckets. They also were rarely late to pick up the collection buckets, but if they were late it was never due to their negligence, always something they could not control, such as holiday traffic.
Hectic, Friendly, Good Staff
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  Ishpeming, MIApril 29, 2013
I only worked at the Salvation Army as a volunteer for a few months but I would definitely work there again if I got paid for it. The place is about helping people that don't have much and I think thats wonderful. The other volunteers were some of the friendliest people I have ever met. You have to have patience and a friendly personality to help out there. The customers were very rude at times but we had to be nice anyway. Mostly homeless people came in but thats what the place was intended for. The clothes were very cheap and that was a good thing because even people who have nothing could afford it. It wasn't the most organized place but we made it work. Lots of people donated bags and boxes to the salvation army and that really made a difference. A lot of people did steal clothes from there but there really was no need to. The prices were beyond reasonable and we made exceptions if you could not afford something that you really liked or wanted.
Pros
helping people, friendly staff, not very boring
Cons
rude customers, organizing, lots of retail fraud, no camera's, lack of storage space
I was over qualified for this position when I accepted it. I was able to implement some new policies and best practices that needed to be in place.
Social Services Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Dalton, GAAugust 3, 2014
Overall I love working for The Salvation Army. There simply is no opportunity for upward mobility in the local office. Unfortunately that also means that there is no opportunity for significant salary increase. The job in itself was very enjoyable and was second nature to me. The co-workers are very dedicated and knowledgeable people. I am the only social service worker. The most enjoyable aspect of my job is life coaching. I enjoy teaching and observing how clients adopt new positive ways of overcoming things that were obstacles in the past. The most difficult part of the job is leaving each day. In this field, there is always so much to do. The work is never ending. I honestly love this position but I have outgrown it and must move forward; even if that means using my talents and skill base elsewhere.
Pros
awesome, supportive management team and staff members, exceptional organization
Cons
low salary with little or now advancement potential