The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

Fun Place to work but boring
Volunteer Worker (Former Employee) –  Easton, PADecember 1, 2017
It was more or less a tutoring program for people to help children do their homework. After the children went home than they opened a food kitchen for people in need and bag food for families that came in.
Pros
Good Culture
Cons
Boring after awhile of no customers
Field Work; Great opportunity to meet and work with others.
Holiday Bell Ringer (Former Employee) –  La Mesa, CADecember 1, 2017
I got to mingle with some of the most generous and especially kind Holiday Shoppers in the East County San Diego area. Work location varied between Shopping Centers and Malls.
Pros
Lunch Break
Cons
No Stock Options
Supporting recreation department with children sports
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, OHDecember 1, 2017
Open the front end office so that people who needed assistants in certain needs like help paying rent, or electric bill, or medical assistants

Handled all front end office duties for the Major of the Corporation
Prepared all office documents for billing and outgoing mail
Prepared correspondence to vendors that donated to the corporation

The Major of the Corporation was very fast paced and the language barrier was difficult at times.

The work culture was mild it could get stressful at times especially around Christmas season

The hardest part of the job was dealing with the public when the Corporation ran out of funds for the month.

The most enjoyable part was learning and experiencing how to run a front-end office and helping people in need.
Pros
Working with great co-workers
Cons
Never reconized for my accomplishments
Great environment
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Laramie, WYNovember 30, 2017
The core values of the Salvation Army make for a great environment with an ethical focus. It helped to see doing good in the community, and I saw exactly where my time and service were going.
poor management
Truck Driver/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pampa, TXNovember 30, 2017
it was a fun job but the management was some of the worst I've ever had! they treated me very poorly all the time and still managed to get away with steeling from the store, crashing the truck, and even convincing the higher ups to let them live in the basement of the retail store.
Pros
interesting people and you never know what you might find.
Cons
poor management and unfair treatment.
change of senery
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Hanover, MANovember 30, 2017
I would like to change my career of being a cashier and do something else, i have given 5 years to this company. It gets very busy and stressful on senior days (1st Monday of every month.)
Pros
friends that have turned into family members
Cons
not what i want to do for the rest of my life
Busy, but a nice place to work at
Brooklyn - Lead Drawing Teacher (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 29, 2017
The job just the same as other teachers. I need to prepare drawings and materials before going to the classes. When the class started, It's important to keep the students' interest. This job gives me a lot of chance to get closer to children, and increase my child care skill.
Workplace
Front Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas NVNovember 29, 2017
Everyday was really smooth. I learned about the homeless people that go there every morning and dinner for food. Its like working at a restaurant. Management was professional. Workplace was clean and smooth. Hardest part was not knowing what type of person would come through that door. And I enjoyed working with my co workers there.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Health benefits
Amazing hands on learning environment
Utility Worker (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 29, 2017
A typical day at work would include clocking in and getting started with your day according to the type of specific duties that are assigned for your specific job title.
Honorable work
Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 29, 2017
Any time you seek to help others, the rewards are unlimited. Equally, the frustrations can also be unlimited. A person does not enter this type of work to gain financial "success." The rewards are small and often personal.
Pros
Helping people
Cons
Helping people
great place to work
Bell Ringer (Former Employee) –  Sun City, AZNovember 28, 2017
I loved the job. I wish it was not just seasonal. The employees are friendly and great to work with. I could hear the bell in my sleep and sometimes you would have to stand.
Pros
nice people
Cons
short breaks
Enjoyable workplace..
Prep cook (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 28, 2017
Advancement opportunities are limited. I just want to better myself and use my full potential as a team player with similar people who want to grow together. I want to increase my benefits and my potential for growth.
Pros
I enjoy the Christian environment and many of the employees
Cons
Limited potential for growth...
Salvation Army is a wondeful place to work
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 27, 2017
I have did alot there in helping in making myself better we went of trips and did plays i love to see others happy when things were going on there we prepared meals for the customers at the salvation Army
in salvation
Donation Retrieval Worker (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNNovember 27, 2017
they paid ok but when you are new you get to working only part time. and some of the women i see they working their talking about other ethic. in their native language. they why i want to find a better job. pay ok and track people nice.
Pros
30 minute brock
Cons
they don't pay for hearlth care
salvation army
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 27, 2017
great new experiences to learn as you work there. you will get a work out will working sitting down for to long is unaccepted there. i was pretty satisfied with my pay.
Semi enjoyable
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYNovember 27, 2017
Salvation army was a good job however due to being an establishment based of of charities it did not pay enough to provide for my family nor did it allow free time to get A second job or see much of my children.
Excellently Run Company with Cheerful Staff
Internship (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 27, 2017
There are so many good things about this company which is truly committed to its mission and its religious values. The leadership listens to everyone and is constantly looking to innovate and improve. There were no cliques or bad personalities in leadership when I worked there.
A seasonal job with some perks
Kettle Operator (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GANovember 26, 2017
The Salvation Army provided me assistance in the past. To that effect, each year I provide my services to this organization as a way to pay it forward.
Pros
Acts of kindness
Cons
The inability not to respond to rude people
Horrible place to work
Data Entry/ Case Manager/ Case Worker (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 26, 2017
You do not get unemployment and they leave their employees in crisis in the gutter. Full time contracts are not honored. Grants are not utilized per requirements.
Pros
The clients
Cons
Discrimination, Favoritism, And harrassment
Salvation Army
Soup Kitchen Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Freeport, IL 61032November 26, 2017
Through each day we would work together, learn new things and enjoy ourselves. Each day we learned more about working together, and how things would each cook different.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Salvation Army. Our community is ready to answer.