The Salvation Army
1,752 reviews

The Salvation Army Employer Reviews

Fast paced up beat job environment
Volunteer Worker (Former Employee), Hammond, INApril 5, 2014
assisted customers with account info. Applied credits to accounts as needed. Trouble shooted equipment as well.
Standing outside of a store. Ringing a bell for 5 hours
Bell Ringer (Former Employee), Wichita, KSApril 5, 2014
Pros: helping poor collect funds
Cons: standing in cold for 5 hrs straight
Standing outside of a store and ring a bell for five hours straight. If you live where it is cold, you better bundle up, because it can get really cold. The job is only seasonal for a few weeks from Thanksgiving to christmas
excellent
kitchen supervisor (Current Employee), Altoona, PAApril 4, 2014
great place for people to start getting their lives back together and make a difference in the community
great enviorment
Volunteer (Current Employee), Lodi, CAApril 3, 2014
Pros: free dinner and lunch
I enjoy working for The Salvation Army, they are nice people who care for others! I think the organization is a good thing to have and they should make more in other cities. They help the homeless and anyone else who needs help.
Great place to gain experience!
Intern/Case Manager (Former Employee), Rock Hill, SCApril 3, 2014
A typical day at the Salvation Army can be very hectic but it's well worth it. You never know what you may deal with that particular day and that makes the job exciting. There are lots of opportunities to learn things and interact with the community! I loved it!
Processing invoices for payment.
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAApril 2, 2014
Pros: finishing a eight hour shift. assisting other departments in their functions.
Cons: no room for advancement and doing the same task day in and day out.
A typical day at work is processing invoices against purchase orders for payments and researching problems with invoices from payment amounts and quantity. Processing domestic and international invoices.
A great place to work. Everyday had new and exciting challenges.
Warehouse Production Supervisor (Former Employee), Worcester, MAApril 2, 2014
Pros: great workers. every day exciting challenges
Cons: only a temp position
I was a shipment supervisor incharge of 5 to 7 men and women daily. I was responsible for the shipment of a variety of items to the 8 satalite locations. I was also responsible for the storing and item distribution for the several hundred individual items received daily. I reported to the warehouse Manager directly.
If you want back breaking labor this one is for you!
LEAD CASHIER/STORE MANAGER IN CHARGE (Former Employee), Anchorage, AKApril 1, 2014
Pros: meet new people and help them make a difference
Cons: the salvation army is not out to help anyone just making money off of the needs of consumers, that is all.
While working with The Salvation Army, I found out that even your managers either aren't sure or either not caring. The only reason why I stood it out with this employer is because I worked hard to get where I was. Promised promotions that never came through. Then being transferred and demoted for a cause that was never my fault to begin with, on top – more... of that suspended and then given vacation time to work in the warehouse with men from their program, ODD MUCH? In the sense of it all, I do not appreciate being stepped on, and as much as I would love to take it all back and continue school, I can't because what's done is done. Now when I go into looking for other options I'm stuck with having to put down supervisors that not only solely wanted to gone but weren't even professional about it either!? Would I ever recommend this company as far as it's reputation goes to work within? No, I would not. As far as donations go? Yes, for they'll take even literal trash and make their employees sort through it. It's very disturbing to think about, and no I will not tread lightly on that case. The Captain would come into stores and yell at the employees, and basically threaten them with their jobs due to his own job being on the line. My advice, look for a reliable and sturdy company to work within, one that will promise you growth and dependability! – less
warahouse driving folklift and driving a truck
operator Forklift (Former Employee), Winston-Salem, NCApril 1, 2014
. Operate Forklift / truck driver
. Cooler service and Refrigerator
• Supervised store and the workers
• Responsible for opening and closing the store
• Prepared Food /daily sales report
• Assisted manager with pricing and putting store in order
Hard, but worth it in the end for the kids
Bell Ringer (Former Employee), Wichita, KSMarch 31, 2014
Pros: raising the money
Cons: the weather
Rang bell to raise money
How generouse people could still be.
Never seen
Never had any at my locations
The weather
Seeing people smile even though it was bad weahther, people loosing jobs, kids not minding, they all seemed to keep smiling.
It felt good to help people in need
Social Services Case Manager (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKMarch 31, 2014
Pros: working with people of faith.
Cons: can't think of any bad to say.
Everyday was busy but it was a good busy. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing people get the help they needed; food, utility assistance, shelter, etc.
Rewarding doing service to those in need.
Food Services Coordinator (Former Employee), Harrisburg, PAMarch 31, 2014
Pros: prepare the menus
Cons: not full time
Prepared breakfast foods for 50-100 persons who are either low income or homeless. Keeping a positive outlook to those down on their luck and just need a little smile and encouragement. Also directed volunteers to assist in the kitchen. Fun environment and I loved serving the clients and just treating them with the respect I expected from them.
Serving God while serving the public.
Driver / Asst. Supervisor (Former Employee), South Bend, INMarch 30, 2014
Pros: the best part of the job is that it is never routine, there is always something different to see and someone different to meet.
Cons: the salary is not very good but i like the job so money is not that important.
A typical days work would start off with a complete inspection of the truck, including all fluids, the tires, under the truck for inspection of the driveshaft and then check for safety flairs and equipment. Then I would load up product for the store to be serviced, one of six different store in the territory. I would then go over my tickets for the – more... day, where I am going and the best way to complete my route in the least amount of time. After completing my route, I would stop one more time at the store to off load and the drive back to the warehouse to finish unloading and clean out my truck. – less
Very Rewarding
Residential Treatment Counselor (Current Employee), Portland, ORMarch 29, 2014
Very rewarding! I love working with the youth and their children. The program is unorganized, Management is unprofessional, and staff are not consistent. It doesn't feel like I am working with a team, as it should.
Productive and fun environment with an amazing group of people.
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Vancouver, WAMarch 28, 2014
During my time as an office assistant I learned to not be afraid of my own voice on the phone. The only thing I did was sit at a desk for a couple hours and call people. The hardest part of it was the first step and getting out of my comfort zone to talk to people.
good/poor
worker (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNMarch 27, 2014
not a good respectable co. as much as you would assume. But warehouse experience was a plus.
the salvation army
Laborer (Former Employee), Bakersfield, CAMarch 26, 2014
was basically all volunteer work i lived there and worked there for my room and board helping the community with anything and everything i can!
I was doing voluteer work .
volunteered at the Salvation Army (Former Employee), Vincennes, INMarch 26, 2014
The Salvation Army does a lot of great things for the communities.
Social Service Intake Worker (Intern) (Current Employee), West Chester, PAMarch 25, 2014
As an intern, I help clients with resources and referrals for dilemmas. I provide the clients with rental and utilities assistance. I have to write case notes and re-organize files for the agency.I'm learning how to help clients who are dealing with addiction. The most enjoyable part of the job is I get to help people who are in need of assistance.
Summer Camp Director
Summer Camp Director (Seasonal) (Former Employee), Salinas, CAMarch 25, 2014
Made lesson plans, guided the teen mentors who led the children in groups, taught the main lesson, regulated the day and delegated appropriate assignments to teenagers.

Most enjoyable part of the job were seeing the kids happy.
The team leaders were amazing and the Supervisors were
awesome.

About The Salvation Army

Battling to provide social services, The Salvation Army is more than 4 million strong -- including some 3.4 million registered – Read more

The Salvation Army Photos