The Salvation Army
2,480 reviews

The Salvation Army Employer Reviews

Interesting Place to Work
Closing Supervisor (Former Employee), Portsmouth, NHFebruary 13, 2015
Pros: good coworkers
Cons: minimum wage. hard to advance. no benifits
Always know what days are busy due to sale days. Learned management skills. Nice co-workers.

Only paid minimum wage. No benefits.
Very good work enviroment
Welder/Fabrication (Current Employee), Perris, CAFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: my skills did not get rusty.
Cons: i can't think of any at the time.
I enjoyed working here and again was able to utilize my skills here.I'm very grateful to be able to fabricate and weld for them. Thankyou Sally!!!
Supportive and Inspiring workplace.
Maintenance Technicain (Former Employee), Pasadena, CAFebruary 12, 2015
I learned how to asess and address requests. I would start the day by reviewing projects and making sure nothing new popped up, then go about repairing or installing things in a mostly remodeling environment. I feel the hardest part was the criticism but it helped me better myself and my skills.
always a happy enviorment
Cashier (Former Employee), Saginaw, MIFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: 2 15 minute breaks and 1 lunch 30 minute break
Cons: no cameras
Typical day i was on register most of the day. I learned to make the best of your job even if someone else cant follow through with theirs. Management was great. All my co workers worked as a team. Hardest part was working after lunch. Best part was making customers smile.
fun and productive
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: free lunch
Cons: short break
A typical at work was fun and productive.
I learned to manage my time wisely.
The hardest part of this job is the rude people.
it was fun working for them
Bell ringer (Former Employee), davenport, IaFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: help the children
Cons: short breaks, cold
i really enjoyed the work. the only thing i didnt like doing was the cold. so i would bundle up but it was really cold. i enjoyed doing it because it was my first job but i helped the children.
family store
Clothing Sorter (Former Employee), Temple, PAFebruary 12, 2015
good place to work. It non profit organization. People would go donate unwanted items constantly. Great prices for items
Sorter (Former Employee), Sumter, SCFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: free lunches
Cons: no pay
Things I have learned while being there was how to put clothes in color-coordination and pricing items for their worth. The co-workers are wonderful they really know how to get you going. The hardest part of the job is when you have to tag the clothes and finding comfortable shoes to wear for the concert floors. Also the enjoyable part about the job is everyone come together as one to help out customers and other co-workers.
Manager (Current Employee), Marysville, CAFebruary 12, 2015
Satisfying customer needs.
Balancing your life with work pressure, travelling and personal.
Co-workers give a lot of respect and always wanting to get work done without supervision.
The hardest part would be that when there is limited or not enough merchandise to put on the sales floor.
To see your customers going out of the store happy.
overall great place
delivery driver (Former Employee), Centralia, ILFebruary 12, 2015
i really enjoyed the people i worked with and the customers i came in contact with.The job as delivery driver was a fun and energetic job, but the pay and lack of benefits is less than deseriable
Non-Profit
IT MANAGER (Former Employee), Dallas, TXFebruary 12, 2015
The Salvation army does some very awesome things.
Typical day would be managing the ticket system que, assigning tasks to staff members. Monitoring network and bandwidth, contacting users for issue resolution. Inventory management, Life Cycle management and budgeting.
Provided one on one Substance Abuse Counseling & Case Management to 7 beneficiaries
House Mother (Current Employee), Saugus, MAFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: friendly staff/beneficiaries- cohesive work environment-same goals
Cons: would of like to run groups, not enough time.
I would check in with my supervisor, then meet with the beneficiaries one on one. Assess and monitor their care, issues, concerns and recovery process. Teach life skills, Introduced 12 step program, gave homework assignments for beneficiaries about changes in their way of life. Assessed how treatment benefited them or not.
Facilitated Doctor appts, court dates, spoke with probation officers, provided documentation on progress.
How to do Psych-social, Progress notes.
Followed up with Staff members to ensure beneficiaries concerns etc were followed through.
I learned how to work effectively with a multicultural group of men and how they differ in the recovery process.
Management was cohesive and worked effectively to ensure beneficiaries growth, spirituality, work therapy, social skills all aspects of each beneficiaries life was dealt with through weekly staff mtgs.
The hardest part of job, was when beneficiaries left the program with out completion.
The most enjoyable was the interaction between the beneficiary and myself working through the recovery process.
House Mother (Current Employee), Saugus, MAFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: friendly staff/beneficiaries- cohesive work environment-same goals
Cons: would of like to run groups, not enough time.
How to do Psych-social, Progress notes.
One of the hardest jobs I had. and worst paying
Cashier, Sales, Dept Management (Former Employee), Sacramento, CAFebruary 11, 2015
Pros: medical insurance
Cons: the unfair treatment of the employees.
I worked in the sorting room, and the store both at different times. I learned every aspect of the business, but there was no typical day. The management had no control over the workers, The sorting room was 10 degrees hotter in then out in the summer, 10 degrees colder in the winter. The co-workers, some was nice and others mean to the bone. The day I went back to doing in home care full time and walked out into the real world was the best part of the job.
Great Organization
Custodial Maintenance Worker (Current Employee), Dallas, TXFebruary 11, 2015
Pros: when get go to sports events
Cons: work partime
Always had a great and productive work day, there was somrthing new and exciting on a day by day basic.How to be a people person interacting with the senior and youth patrons.The management was very professional. Co-worker were team players.Most enjoyable when everyone had a good day at the facilities.
good retail enviroment
SALES,PRICER (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: store area
Cons: part time
overall rating good. management a plus and peaple the a friendly. job only part time as i would like to work full time for them.
Bad Management
Team Member (Seasonal) (Former Employee), Newark, NJFebruary 9, 2015
One of the benefits of volunteering is that we can decide to intentionally leave our comfort zones in order to experience new and challenging situations, environments, or roles.
Horrible
Assistant Supervisor (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLFebruary 9, 2015
The worst job ever! I wouldn't recommend it to a felon. They treat their workers (men that are court ordered to go through the program) like they are animals. They expect the supervisors to do the same.
It was a good experience.
Stock Team Member (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNFebruary 8, 2015
A typical day at this job for me was stocking and moving furniture. I learned how people donations really help people that is less fortunate. Management at this job was fair, nice and I enjoyed work along side them. My Co-workers for the most part were okay. the hardest part of the job was using physical strength everyday. the most enjoyable part of the job is getting to meet all the different customers.
Very stable company.
Business Director (Current Employee), Camden, NJFebruary 8, 2015
Pros: benefit heavy with significant vacation days and holidays
Cons: little job security and chance for advancement
My position requires the management and oversight of several departments with long hours. Unfortunately, I have reached the pinnacle of my career with The Salvation Army without becoming an Officer/Minister.

About The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army is a Christian church known for its thrift stores and charity work. It is an international movement that works – Read more

The Salvation Army Photos