The Salvation Army
2,701 reviews

The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

Great volunteer organization
Volunteer (Current Employee), East Chicago, INApril 25, 2015
I regularly volunteer for the Salvation Army. I play piano and teach classes for youth and adults.

I can't say that there is anything difficult about the job. I really enjoy it!
Working here at Salvation Army has been great
Truck Driver (Current Employee), Saint Petersburg, FLApril 24, 2015
Pros: I do get free breakfast, surrounded by nice people
Cons: Not much i can i can say about the con, except i can only advance so far.
I meet a lot of new faces everyday. Young and old struggling with their addiction. I have seen broken home restored. I was once one of these addicts who came through the doors a few years ago. i was a broken man, Without no hope, no one to turn to. Salvation Army gave this hope and a new life. I had a very bad employment history because of my alcoholism. Salvation Army gave me a chance where no one else would. I was told when i got hired , to use this as a stepping stone. To fine a job to help grow more. i feel its time for me to break away From Salvation Army and seek employment elsewhere. I am hoping someone will give me a chance just like this company that gave me a chance a few years ago..
Productive and Fun Workplace
Cashier and Sales Associate (Former Employee), Manhattan, NYApril 23, 2015
Cons: short lunch breaks
A typical day at the Salvation Army is a calm day , the store can get crowded when it's sells on things which is mostly everyday but mainly Wednesdays. My co-workers were very helpful and kind people , they were willing to help me and others with anything they needed help with. It wasn't really no hard part to my job at the Salvation Army. The most enjoyable part about my job at the Salvation Army was my co-workers and managers they made my experience wonderful.
moving furniture, pallets unloading trucks taking donations tagging clothes
Customer Service/Donations (Former Employee), Bloomington, MNApril 22, 2015
Pros: great place to be to help out
Cons: none
a day at work was busy learned how to use a pallet jack and how to set up boxes on pallets tag clothes without ripping or making holes customer service skills because i was always taking donations my manager was cool always had my back 1-2 of my friends were there everyone was friendly and helped when i needed hardest part when we had sales and trucks at the same time donations were backed up but we all managed and handled it well it was seeing everyone work as hard as me and helping keeping me pushing very people oriented still go back to help out now-a-days
Vast experience in behavioral health.
Intern Counselor (Current Employee), Canoga Park, CaApril 22, 2015
Pros: Experience in individual and group counseling at an inpatient treatment center.
Cons: Unpaid
I am an intern providing work that benefits the operations, productivity and business of the Salvation army. I am unpaid. I am collection hours towards my licensure, however, as an intern I should not be doing work that is within the domain of paid employment. I am doing the work of the Lead Counselor, and I feel I should be compensated. nevertheless, I am extremely humble, and value the experience and knowledge I have gained working with an all male criminal justice population at the Salvation Army's rehabilitation center. My background in cognitive behavioral modification therapy and humanistic-Rogerian therapy has been vastly strengthened. I am a very good individual counselor, and I am a supreme facilitator of process and psycho-educational group therapy. I am grateful.
Enjoyed helping population regain sobriety
Substance Abuse Counselor (Former Employee), Denver, COApril 22, 2015
Enjoyed working with addicts. Learned how to help lead groups and teaching a variety of relapse prevention tools. Helped clients gain insight into addictive behaviors and prepared them for job search. Facilitated reconciliation between family members. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing people grow and move into their own apartments.
learned about pricing
Team member (Former Employee), Romulus, MIApril 22, 2015
cleaned priced and out out shoes and accessories. too much work for little money. no worthwhile advancement. needs major improvement in all aspects of the company
floor supervisior
floor supervisior (Former Employee), portsmouth n,h. 03801April 20, 2015
Pros: fun together when working
Cons: breaks are too short, no venting machines
A typical day at work is , greet the girls, the plans for the day or projects. Run clothes racks to the floor,make sure that the displays are all dressed. Greet the customers, see if they need help. Help the floor girls with any problems that might come up.Just have some fun with the work.
MY day would begin with a smile and good morning to my boss,then walk the floor to be sure we are ready for business
Dock janitor / Truck helper (Current Employee), Fort Lauderdale, FLApril 20, 2015
Pros: I Learned design skills, without having any formal schooling.
Cons: healthcare......i was parttime and not elligible.no full time position for sales associates
Our team was small and close knit. Designer and associates worked closely together. Managers where always there to assist with a sale that just needed another voice to overcome objections....Greeting the customer at the door was the first thing that would take place. You can win a sale or lose it within the first 5 minutes of what and how something comes out of your mouth. you want to be professional yet warm and understanding, attentive and knowledgeable with your answers. I love meeting different sorts of people with their unique and interesting stories on there life I have some too. When the sale is completed they feel as the they made a friend doing business when it never felt like just business.
Productive and fun enviornement
Janitor (Former Employee), 1151 Bushwick AveApril 19, 2015
Pros: free lunch
Cons: none
The salvation army was a great work experience I've gained through syep. I was a maintenance man responsible for the building.
The opportunity to raise funds for a good cause
Bell Ringer (Former Employee), Dallas, TXApril 19, 2015
Pros: The purpose
Cons: Seasonal
Standing at locations: Bell ringing

Encounter a lot of people.

Honesty and purpose raises more revenue.

You are individually accountable for raising funds.
worked with other bellringers who where doing the same job
bellringer (Former Employee), Indiana, PAApril 18, 2015
Pros: buy our own food
Cons: scheduled breaks when they decide
I would go back and work for them again,and work with other people
who did the same cold job as I did, they are greatful and helpful people. they where long hours and the other workers where happy
that we where out there helping the people in our community who had less and needed help with clothing and food.
Fun opportunity for musicians to make money.
Kettle Worker (Former Employee), Lancaster, CAApril 18, 2015
A typical day at work for Salvation Army started with me going to a business like Vons or Walmart and setting up the stand with the collection bucket outside. The days were between 6 and 8 hours long 15 minute breaks and an hour lunch, if you worked 7-8 hours. Due to going to different locations every few days or so, the co-workers I had were always different, but I never had any issues with them because they all acted professionally. The hardest part of the job and the most enjoyable part were the fact that I was playing music for 6-8 hours a day. It was tough to perform at a consistent high quality after so many hours, but since I would like a career in music someday it was great to get paid to do something I love. The management did a good job of checking on us to make sure everyone was doing what they needed to be doing, and making sure nothing happened to us or the collection buckets. They also were rarely late to pick up the collection buckets, but if they were late it was never due to their negligence, always something they could not control, such as holiday traffic.
Not so great.
Cashier (Former Employee), New Baltimore, MiApril 17, 2015
What salvation army stands for is a great thing. Working here is another thing. I only worked here right out of high school so perhaps it has improved since. The management do not treat their employees well at least not at my location. although i did love the customers! they truly made it worth while.
Supervisor
Bric-A-Brac Supervisor (Former Employee), Centerline, MIApril 17, 2015
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
• Oversee activities directly related to making products or providing services.
• Direct and coordinate activities of businesses or departments concerned with the production, pricing, sales, or distribution of products.
• Perform sales floor work, such as greeting or assisting customers, stocking shelves, or taking inventory.
• Plan store layouts or design displays
employee of the month
floor clerk (Current Employee), Columbus, OHApril 16, 2015
always does as told and gets job done, willing to learn new things and other positions. gets along good with co-workers and costumers. hard to lift heavy objects. meet new people every day and able to guide them to what they are looking for
Administrative Assistant
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), San Marcos, TXApril 16, 2015
Pros: Helping people
A typical day at the Salvation Army was a little fast paced at times. I learned how to interact with different people and their different needs. The management was great. The hardest part was when I wasn't able to help someone. The most enjoyable part was helping people in need.
one of the best places in elmira to work for
Bell Ringer (Former Employee), Elmira, NYApril 16, 2015
Pros: the job was well worth the time
Cons: it was cold
I enjoyed working for salvation army they do a lot for the community and i am glad be part of their team at Christmas time . they are a great equal opportunity program that helps needy families and children
The bell ringer (Former Employee), Lawrencellville, gaApril 16, 2015
Pros: You get paid a little more, get to meet new people every day
Cons: I would have to stand for long periods of time
When I went to work it was a positive environment and the bell ringers are polite we also encourage one another who needs it most. the salvation army feed their works before sending the do they're job.
My dream job!!
Public Relations Officer (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVApril 15, 2015
Pros: Positive and supportive work environment.
My position of Public Relations Officer for The Salvation Arny in southern Nevada was absolutely my dream job. I finally was able to merge all of my skills gained from experience and from my college education into one perfect position. The organization does amazing work for those who need a hand up, not a hand out, and I was blessed with the opportunity to tell the community about the work they did.

About The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army is a Christian church known for its thrift stores and charity work. It is an international movement that works – Read more

The Salvation Army Salaries

Assistant Manager
$9.00 per hour

The Salvation Army Photos

Captain Kettle---Holiday Parade
This is why I worked there
feeding others