The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

Found 3,346 reviews matching the search
Review
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCFebruary 12, 2017
I enjoyed working in this position. I had a great deal of satisfaction in knowing that I was able to help people in need. I would definitely do this job again.
High stress, low pay.
Shelter Monitor (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYFebruary 12, 2017
The folks who run the place have big hearts.

That being said, you can expect the experience to be emotionally draining, psychologically taxing, and generally stressful. Combine that with the ole' 25 hour workweek (Thanks Obamacare!!) and low hourly wages, and you are looking at a temporary job at best. It will chew you up and spit you out.

That is the nature of working at a shelter, so brace yourself.
Pros
You feel like you are doing good...for a while.
Cons
You soon realise you are just enabling drug adicts and drunks, and things sour quickly from there. Low pay. Few benefits.
Wonderful place to be part of a team.
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Hayward, CAFebruary 11, 2017
I have had a very good time working with this company. I made many wonderful connections with great people. The staff and the customers have all been very delightful.
cashier, clerk, receptionist, bookkeeping.
REHABILITATION CENTER AND ACCOUNTING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Waukegan, IL 60085February 10, 2017
cashier, receptionist, bookkeeping, store reports, daily reports, invoice, bill payments, customer service. the most enjoyable part of the job it was visiting the stores to make sure everything was working the right way.
Productive and fun place to work
Production Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 10, 2017
A typical day at work, I get my 28 foot box truck ready. A person in the program rides with me. We get our route and go pick up donations, from peoples houses or there business. Sometimes the person riding with me is having a bad day, because they are in a rehabilitation program.Most often than not I will be able to give them words of encouragement and help them through their problems.
Pros
I get to help people save there lives
Enjoyable and hardest part
Cashier and stocker duties (Former Employee) –  Roseburg, ORFebruary 10, 2017
Most enjoyable part was helping customers in need in the community. The hardest part of the job was cleaning up after the harder to deal with customers. I learned how to work with people that were different than myself or lived a different lifestyle.
Pros
Helping people in need, co workers, making a difference
Cons
Cleaning up after customers before closing
Amazing work place.
Volunteer (seasonal) (Former Employee) –  MissouriFebruary 9, 2017
It was great. Just to do stuff for other people. The people were nice and very welcoming. Helped out if needed. There was never a problem it was very professional.
Pros
The people
balanced social activity
bell ringer (Former Employee) –  Brunswick, GAFebruary 9, 2017
rigourous social constructs but very healthy for growth as an individual and very complex ethics but very well structured requires involvement and commitment
Very rewarding position
Social Service Coordinator Baldwin County (Former Employee) –  Foley, ALFebruary 8, 2017
Working with people and helping them with food, counselling, shelter, and the resources they need made this job exciting and most rewarding. I was sadden by the fact my office and position was the subject of reduction of work force in Baldwin County Alabama.
cusomer service
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAFebruary 8, 2017
people person is what you have to be at this place. lots of work to do and never a dull moment in this enviroment .Management was great and enjoyed working there for the most part.
volunteer
JANITOR (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILFebruary 8, 2017
donated my time to pay back what was given to me when using their services. Always helpful when needing help in regards to id birth certificate or any other area
Loved the job
Manager - Family Store (Former Employee) –  Aiken, SCFebruary 8, 2017
Enjoyed fellow co-workers during both positions I held within the Salvation Army, and especially enjoyed assisting and interacting with the many lovely customers.
Excellence in service
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 8, 2017
Staff members are a team. They rely on each other to do their jobs and assist with tasks of peers as needed. It is a caring atmosphere, and genuinely good things are shared with the community to meet needs. They are proactive and reactive in public service and treat customers with dignity.
Pros
friendly
Cons
Some of the situations are sad
productive
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 8, 2017
Western dental was a fun workplace with different fun way's to help meet your goals, we also had Christmas party's...The managers were good on helping each employee to the best they could be a their job
Prince George's Corps - The Salvation Army
Corps Program Director (Former Employee) –  Hyattsville, MDFebruary 7, 2017
The captains have no understanding of work/life balance. They are not forthright in the job requirements for the position. They don't want the employees to socialize with other inside or outside the office. The want you to work 6 days a week. They don't respect African Americans. The captains are immigrants and seem very power hungry. The captains are very shady. The office environment is the best when the captains are not present.
Pros
The staff other than the captains are great, You are giving back to a needy community, The salary is average
Cons
No work/life balance, unrealistic expectations, the captains are micro-managers, the captains do not care if you have a family, when the captains are present the office environment is very tense
It was rewarding
Ropes Course Director (Former Employee) –  Denton, NCFebruary 7, 2017
The management used to be good, then it was bad, then good again... They change management a lot. They best part is working with the kids.
Have to be able to stand for hours at a time
Bell Ringer (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 7, 2017
It was a okay seasonal job you really have to be a people's person and be able to stand the cold temperatures for hours at a time.the benefits from ringing the bell in the morning hours is free coffee and donuts that was pretty cool
Seasonal work... rewarding job
Bell ringer (Former Employee) –  Medford OrFebruary 7, 2017
My job was ringing the bell and collecting donations. It's an awesome job referring to customer service goes. 6 days a week working at multiple locations...
Pros
Loved the hours
Cons
seasonal work only
Encouraging place to work.
Angel Tree Manager (Former Employee) –  Mesquite, TXFebruary 6, 2017
I worked at Town East Mall for the Angel Tree program.The management for the Salvation Army was really polite and the job was rewarding.The hours were part time and fit right into my schedule.
busy work place always something to do
Receptionist/Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Maria, CAFebruary 6, 2017
start computers, check in with supervisors, listen to voice mails, and open the office. help clients with questions and the application process. Take your breaks when needed go to lunch hour and be back on time to resume work.
Pros
friendly and caraing enviroment
Cons
hectic fast passed work lots of clients

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Salvation Army. Our community is ready to answer.