The Salvation Army
2,644 reviews

The Salvation Army United States Employee Reviews

overall it was okay
Bell Ringer (Former Employee), Munster, INApril 3, 2015
Pros: long hours
Cons: not enough pay
i would be on my feet for long periods of time with short breaks, that my feet were always sore,most of the time they were on time to pick up at the end of the day,i learned about my brother's medical condition,always standing,meet people and watching how generous they could be
one of the best places to work at
Business Internship (Former Employee), Buffalo, NYApril 2, 2015
Pros: setting your own schedule
the managers were super cool and fun and i learned alot from them on how to make it in the retail business.the co-workers were funny. the hardest part of the job was also the most enjoyable part of the job
I will be glad to leave.
Case Manager (Current Employee), Ventura, CAApril 2, 2015
Pros: I like working with clients.
Cons: Don't like politics
Management is hard to deal with. There is not much respect between management and subordinates. Typical day, I answer phones, do miscellaneous clerical and occasionally see clients
no fun
Cashier (Former Employee), Colorado Springs,CoApril 2, 2015
Pros: sometimes having pot lucks but it was mostly a 30 mins
Cons: two 15 mins breaks
I worked register, stocked merchandise on shelves, hanged clothes on racks. My management was a help at times. my co-worker I got along with some. The hardest was stacking shelves with to much, and hanging the clothing on rack to much made it look messy. My most enjoyable was just having a job.
Productive fun place to work
House Aide (Former Employee), Jefferson City, MOApril 1, 2015
Pros: Family oriented, cozy
Cons: none
A typical day at the homeless shelter was supervising residents and monitoring for compliance of rules. Doing intake, and monitoring job seeking, alcohol testing, counseling, confronting and conferencing.

Management and co-workers were a team and getting the job done.

The hardest part of the job was to pass to baton to the next shift attendant and go home.

Most enjoyable part of the job was the people. Working with people is great.
enjoyed helping the people that donated for a special cause.
Truck Driver Helper/ Donations (Current Employee), Charlotte, NCApril 1, 2015
Pros: meeting new people
Cons: having to take things that couldn't be used or resold to public.
I got to meet people first hand that cared so much for other people less fortunate. they where filled with the spirit and was so thankful to donate to a wonderful cause.
An excellent place to work
Front Desk Attendant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 31, 2015
The supervisors take time with the employees to train them in the job that they are doing. They also are enjoyable to work for.
love this place
Bell Ringer (Former Employee), Yuma, AZMarch 30, 2015
i loved working with the salvation army i loved doing good for the community and the people who run the salvation army here in yuma are amazing.
Very good place to work/good people
Truck Driver (Former Employee), Bend, ORMarch 30, 2015
Pros: flexable hours if needed, Steady raises
Cons: Long road trips, frequent layoffs
Great place to work,fun people,and good tools.The vehicles were always maintained. They are very flexable if you need time off,and they gave steady raises.
Excellent and enjoyable work place, always challenging.
Asst. Resident Manager (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZMarch 30, 2015
Pros: Ability to have access to a Chapel and great TEAM!
Cons: N/A
Salvation Army is an Excellent place to work and a Great Christian Organization. You could not ask for a better team to work with or for better more concerned supervisors. I enjoy my position with the Salvation Army.
Rewarding Experience
Director (Current Employee), Hudson, NYMarch 30, 2015
Pros: Meeting amazing people
Every day is different and allows for a rewarding community experience. The generosity of volunteers and individuals is constantly surprising as to how much support is available to those in need.
good
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee), Hatfield, PAMarch 29, 2015
friendly people good selection of clothing. good service good work hours good pay easy work also they get tons of business.
Fast Paced and fun
Cashier/Clerk (Former Employee), New York, NYMarch 29, 2015
Salvation Army is an entry level position and doesn't pay enough money at the lower level for you to survive. Furthermore They are very helpful if your looking to work and have a steady income
Great Co-workers
Customer Service sales associate (Current Employee), Hillsboro, ORMarch 27, 2015
excellent company I love my work environment, i know customers by name, busy work days lots of new merchandise daily, never a boring job
Thrift Store with good customer service skills
Handler, Merchandiser, and Cashier (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 27, 2015
I had work Tuesday,Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday. Sometimes Sunday with 29 hours a week. My minimum wage was 8.25 and my jobs was backroom, merchandiser, and cashier. The hardest job was put up with bad attitude from supervisors and the managers. The service was poor it need more training employees and less rules.
Nice place to work and see how they help the people in need.
Volunteer (Current Employee), Meriden, CTMarch 27, 2015
Pros: You meet all kinds of people and see the needs and they have what it takes to help them.
Cons: As for salary, well it non profit so it fits.
I like to work in a place that I can help people. The salvation army has the resources to help people in need. They also help those that need employment. The Shelter is close by and they have a soup kitchen that also helps the people.
A great Experience
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Chester, PAMarch 27, 2015
Assisting residents in the Delaware Valley/Chester section of Pennsylvania with Supervision in the shelter of the Salvation Army.
Co-workers were wondering and helping along the way and very supportive. The most enjoyable aspect of the job was working with people from all walks of life to better themselves.
Fun workplace with a noble cause
Volunteer Work (Current Employee), Killeen, TXMarch 26, 2015
I'm usually in the warehouse, sorting goods to be brought out to the pricing table. I also take in donations and occasionally write out receipts for their donated items. I also help move furniture, sterilize said furniture and help the employees there whenever they request it. The management are genuinely good people who care about helping those that can't help themselves. The other employees/ fellow volunteers are also nice and more than willing to help others out. The hardest part of the job for me is trying to maneuver large pieces of furniture through the small doors into/out of the store. The most enjoyable part for me is going through the donated items; it's always interesting to me to see the different things that come through the warehouse.
Productiive and fun workplace
Warehouse Clothing price tagger and hanger (Current Employee), Tampa, FLMarch 26, 2015
Pros: Free lunches
At the Salvation Army people of all different cultural background work together to complete numerous task that affect the world and the surrounding community. Here at the Salvation Army we are as they say "Doing the most good".
A good place to work where you felt you were assisting those in need
Store Manager (Former Employee), Syracuse, NYMarch 26, 2015
Customer service, merchandising, stocking, payroll, scheduling and supervision of 20-21 employees. We had sales daily, huge anniversary sale once a year that was intense. The most enjoyable part of the job were the customers that you got to know on a personal level and the employees were like family.

About The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army is a Christian church known for its thrift stores and charity work. It is an international movement that works – Read more

The Salvation Army Salaries

Assistant Manager
$9.00 per hour

The Salvation Army Photos

Captain Kettle---Holiday Parade
This is why I worked there
feeding others