The Salvation Army
2,564 reviews

The Salvation Army Employer Reviews

good friendly place to work
Department of Human Service Worker {vouleeter} (Former Employee), Kewanee, ILMarch 11, 2015
Pros: learning new things everyday
Cons: moveing furniture
I would get to work sorting itemes of clothes ,nic naks, toys, glasswear , or electonics to see what could or could nt be sold. then if they were in good condition we price them and put them out to be sold . I learned a lot from her i learned to sort, price put out to be sold, shrink wraping new unused stuff,and ti use tagging guns. The management was very understand nice hard working people. Moveing furniture because we moved beds couches chairs ect. all the workers and volunteers got along good to make it an enjoyable working enviorment. i like dealing with sorting and priceing the best and i was good at it.
friendly
Admin Assistant (Current Employee), Long beachMarch 11, 2015
The Salvation Army is a great place to work. It' s a diverse community in which the employees are all very nice. The perk is going to Chapel on Tuesday mornings while you are on the job.
The Salvation Army Family Store
Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee), Ashtabula, OHMarch 10, 2015
My typical day included organizing the store, working and supervising crew members, providing excellent customer service. I loved my co-workers and manager. The hardest part of my job was when I had to leave it because I relocated. The best part about the job was we were helping those in need.
Pretty descent team
Shelter Manager/Statistician/Spanish Advocate (Current Employee), Warner Robins, GAMarch 10, 2015
Everyone in my department seems pretty ok. Some people are easier to get along with than others, but that is with most jobs. It has career potential for the right person.
Excellent
Customer service (Former Employee), New Orleans, LAMarch 10, 2015
Pros: christian bassed
Cons: insurance
Great place to work, and always challenging.
I also enjoyed the daily challenges of day to day operations.
There was a slight issue with the chain of command but overall it was an excellent place to work.
Productive and fun work place
Afterschool Daycare Worker (Former Employee), Providence, RIMarch 10, 2015
Pros: working with different ethnic groups
Cons: working as a temp
I enjoyed working with all types of ages and personalities. Working with children is a blessing because I learn something new every day.
Good Working Enviorment
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Warwick, RIMarch 10, 2015
A normal day at work is ok you learn new things meet new customers everyday the managers and co worker are really great to work with the hardest part of the job is on a busy day trying to get big amounts of clothing price and ont the floor the good part of the job is working with my coworkers and talking nd meeting the customers and makin there day easier for them as best as I can
Helping others one day at a time
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Detroit, MIMarch 9, 2015
Pros: work with a company that is helping others
Cons: pay is on the low end
I enjoy working at the Salvation army because I am helping others and learning how to deal with a diverse group of employees. Every employee I have managed are hard workers as well and take great pride in what they do like myself.
BUSY BUT GOOD PLACE TO WORK
HOUSE KEEPER (Former Employee), Austin, TXMarch 9, 2015
WELL THAT WAS A DIFFERENT ,WORK PLACE ,BUT LOVE THE PEOPLE I HAVE CAME TO KNOW. MANAGEMENT WAS VERY GOOD. COWORK AL VERY FRIENDLY HARD WORKING . WELL IT WAS NOT A HARD JOB. GETTING OFF AT THE END OF THE DAY.
Life changing
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee), Spokane Valley, WAMarch 9, 2015
Pros: busy, enjoyable
Cons: no benifits, no more then 40hrs a week
I've learn retail from the best of co-workers. My job is something I've learned to enjoy while working in this line of work. I love helping a customer find something then ringing them up cause I helped them find just the right item. The hardest part of my job would be that moment when we're slammed and I'm the only cashier not on break.
Kettle Worker
Kettle Worker (Former Employee), East Northport, NYMarch 9, 2015
worked collecting funds for the poor and needy, coworkers were fine and worked in their own designated kettle collecting areas. Management was respectful and kind and understanding. The worst part of the job was the cold the best part of the job was that it was rewarding knowing that you were helping the poor and sometimes local vendors would give you a coffee or hot cocoa.
A joyful place
Volunteer (Former Employee), Lafayette, IndianaMarch 7, 2015
Cons: low pay
Because I only worked on the holidays, I do not see what occurs on a regular basis.What I did observe, the Salvation Army seems like a great place to work.
Productive and great learning environment to learn customer service
Retail Sales (Former Employee), Austin, TXMarch 6, 2015
Pros: helps a lot of people
Cons: pay can be better
- Thrift stores have you busy
- Learn customer service and how to sell
- Management team are very fair
- Co-workers can take time to work with
- The most enjoyable part of the day is when you see every customer leaves happy
I want to work for them again ASAP.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), 2433 ErIe blvd. Syracuse NY. 13224March 6, 2015
Pros: Very good teachers.
Cons: None.
Very good experience and wood love to work for them again. I learn about retails, I learn about associate sales. I learn about cashier skills and I know they are good company to work for. Thank you.
Quiet and Focused
Executive Assistant (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVMarch 4, 2015
Quiet but busy place to work. Everyone is very focused. If you have an off-color personality, probably not the right fit for you.
Great Organization
Sales /Production Associate (Former Employee), Rochester, NYMarch 4, 2015
Pros: friendships that will last an lifetime.
I learn about the history of the salvation army.
I am an people person as well as highly capable of resolving confrontational customers that are having an bad day.
I made friends easily despite their background or religion.
I was able to come out of my comfort zone by talking to people which made the job easier to do when you get to know one another.
I enjoyed working with new people.
I enjoyed making an difference in people life because I told them how salvation army is.
Hostile Work Environment
Store Manager (Former Employee), Great Falls, MTMarch 4, 2015
To many pots on the stove. No gratitude. Negative corp office. Nothing positive about the corp. Work load heavy and not payed accordingly.
The employees believe in sharing their interest with one another and their religion
Volunteer for Non-profit (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLMarch 3, 2015
Pros: employees stay with this company until retirement
Cons: job openings with this company is very slim in numbers
There objective is the advancement of the Christian religion… of education, the relief of poverty, and other charitable objects beneficial to society or the community of mankind as a whole.’*

While volunteering for the Salvation Army I have noticed structure is the most important key when dealing with their clients on a daily basis. They believe in demonstrating what they want their clients to possess in their personal lives: Christian values, time management and giving back to the community.
My review is the same as the one previously posted, so there's no sense repeating myself.
Warehouse Worker/Beneficiary (Former Employee), Davenport, IAMarch 2, 2015
Pros: discounts
My Review is the same as the one previously written. I see no reason to repeat myself. These Q&A forms test my patience!!!!!!
Great customers and clients
Store Manger (Former Employee), Bellingham, WAMarch 2, 2015
So enjoyable helping those in need. Donations were always greatly appreciated to help those in need. Volunteers were also a big part.

About The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army is a Christian church known for its thrift stores and charity work. It is an international movement that works – Read more

The Salvation Army Photos