The Salvation Army
2,794 reviews

The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

Rewarding
Closing Supervisor (Former Employee), Portsmouth, NHJune 12, 2015
Good place to work for. constant errors on scheduling. usually fixed after talking to Tracy. very busy store and work environment.
Great co-workers and managment
Volunteer (Former Employee), Rosamond, CAJune 11, 2015
Loved volunteering for this company. Always good helping people in need. The job was not difficult at all. Learned the value of a hard days work.
always a job well done
intake coordinator (Former Employee), charlotte ncJune 11, 2015
Pros: help people better themselves
Cons: didnt always work out
provide encouragement to men struggling from addiction and homelessness by providing structure, nutrition and positive role models. enjoyed seeing men turn their thinking patterns around and start to want something out of life as opposed to just wanting to give up.
Rewarding
Social Services (Former Employee), Winston-Salem, NCJune 11, 2015
Pros: The Mission, Rewarding work
Cons: Silo management structure is archaic. Few training opportunities.
The silo management structure inhibits growth and innovative ideas which limits the staff and organization from doing the most good.
I greet many people and i enjoy.
Bell ringer and greet people (Former Employee), Pendleton, ORJune 10, 2015
Pros: I enjoy working for a good cause.
Cons: I was very cold on some days.
I ring bell and greet them as they would leave store and the would donate money in the red bucket. I also wore a suit and coat to keep warm because it was winter time.
Learned new skills while enjoying my position.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJune 9, 2015
Self-motivated worker searching for a rewarding position that will use my education and experience while expanding my professional horizons.
not a good work place
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee), Detroit, MIJune 9, 2015
I did not like this place the environment was very negative and not fair to their workers wish they had better management
Productive and Fun space with children
Activities Counselor (Former Employee), Morristown, NJJune 8, 2015
Pros: interact with children
A tipical day will start with receiving all the children and then giving them the breakfast. After we will play or get ready to go to the zoo, park, museum etc. Around 12 to 1 is lunch. If we were at building it will be like pasta or if were at the park or museum it will like hot dogs sandwich or so.
All we had so much fun, always doing something crafts, sports, reading etc.
emotionaly draining
Head of accounts payables, Payroll and Tax preps (Former Employee), Plymouth Meeting, PAJune 8, 2015
was not the right setting for me, people that were working there were not there for the right reasons. managment was horrible, they cared to much for there own empolyees instead of the people who needed it
Productive workplace with friendly environment
Processor (Former Employee), Morton Grove, ILJune 6, 2015
A typical day at work begins with a team meeting, were everyone goes over the sales of the previous day. Then it's on to getting the product out on the shelves.
The job taught me how to process items for the sales floor.
The management listens to you, and helps you with whatever questions you may have. My co-workers were also very friendly and were willing to lend a helping hand. The hardest part of the job is probably the heavy lifting, but if you get help it's no problem. The job isn't so hard if you just focus and be productive. The most enjoyable part is the people you work with, since they're usually sociable and fun to talk with during break.
friends
brick worker (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJune 5, 2015
Pros: it would be nice to have free lunch
Cons: im ok
ive learned to have more patience with people, and that the things that we throw away daily can help the next person. i also like that fact that the money goes to help people who dont have it or have an addiction.
Productive work place
SECRETARY/SS ASSISTANT (Current Employee), Sanford FloridaJune 5, 2015
Cons: 30 minute lunch break
The typical work day is pretty routine. I learned about the history of the Salvation Army. The hardest thing about my job is the clients different needs and complaints. The thing I like about my job is that is is close to home and they are very family oriented.
The Salvation Army
Volunteer (Former Employee), Camden, NJJune 4, 2015
Pros: Helping others
Cons: no cons
I volunteered for The Salvation Army and it was a wonderful experience. I helped out wherever I was needed. I mostly enjoyed serving lunch to the less fortunate. Although at times it was sad, it really warmed my heart to know that I was helping in some way. I always enjoyed volunteering with the children. Being able to help them with homework or just life situations was a big highlight. I felt that if I could help one problem it was all worthwhile.
Food pantry
Receptionist/Intake Worker Volunteer (Former Employee), Kenosha, WIJune 3, 2015
Data Entry for clients personal information and services obtained using Service Point System, Create Spreadsheets of Donated Goods, Input Volunteer time into Excel
Caring Staff
Social Ser Rep/Furn. Pick-Up Sup (Former Employee), Sanford, NCJune 3, 2015
Pros: Help and Assisting People in Need Throughout The Community
Cons: Low Pay Wages Due to the fact The Salvation Army is a Non-Profit
I had two separate Captains (the Salvation Army gives their leaders titles like those in the Army) while working at the Salvation Army. The first Captain was very hands on: he assisted in the furniture pick-ups and assisted at the Family Store as well. The second Captain focused more on the ministry side of things. Thus, when I transitioned to the Social Services Representative, a lot of times I had to handle the clients' needs on my own. Still, the people who worked for the Salvation Army cared about reaching out to the community and even though it was a thrift store, the Family Store Staff cared for the place as if it was a Major Department Store. Loved the People I had the Opportunity to Work with!
fun place
Volunteer (Former Employee), woodhavenJune 3, 2015
Knowledge of effective customer service techniques; the principles and practices of basic mathematics.Ability to meet attendance requirements; read, write, and communicate the English language; operate a cash register; perform routine mathematical computations and count change; perform frequent walking and/or standing, kneeling, or squatting relieved by lesser periods of sitting or operating a vehicle.
Productive work environment with great co workers
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), Bronx, NYJune 2, 2015
Pros: none
Cons: dinner break 1 hr health care
My typical work day is busy with a constant flow of clients entering the facility for services. Constant supervision of intake,security and housekeeping staff. Learned that Team work gets things done with your co workers. The hardest part of the job is the complex nature of the residents, dealing with mental health, substance abuse and non complaint resident. The most enjoyable part of the job is when clients tahnk you for the services rendered, which does not happen all the time.
Postive Work envioronment
Retail Manager (Former Employee), Rochester, NYJune 2, 2015
Pros: Flexability
Cons: not enough staffing
I love working with new people and advancing my work experience at the salvation army, always had a positive outlook and tried my best to succeed in the retail world
Fulfilling work with positive environment
Crisis services advocate (Current Employee), Jamestown, New YorkJune 2, 2015
A typical day at the Anew center varies on position and shift. It is a fast paced work environment that can be difficult emotionally depending on the client case. There is a lot of time spent talking to clients either on the phone or in person at the shelter. There are also many opportunities to go to surrounding hospitals and come along side those in need. While the job is not emotionally easy, changing the lives of women in the community makes it worth it.
Fun place to work
IT PROJECT MANAGER (Former Employee), Sacramento, Ca.June 1, 2015
Pros: Excellent sick time and vacation.
Cons: Lower pay for the type of work done.
I really enjoyed working here. I did a wide variety of IT related duties. Management was excellent, as well as, co-workers. The job just didn't offer top pay for the work done, since it was non-profit. Also, the benefits packages were very expensive for a person with a family, but vacation and sick time were good. The best part of this job was the wide range of things I was involved to work on.

About The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army is a Christian church known for its thrift stores and charity work. It is an international movement that works – Read more

The Salvation Army Salaries

Monitor
$8.71 per hour

The Salvation Army Photos

Captain Kettle---Holiday Parade
This is why I worked there
feeding others