The Salvation Army
2,271 reviews

The Salvation Army Employer Reviews

productive and fun workplace
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Springfield, MANovember 17, 2014
I learned to work well with others and communicate with customers. co-workers were friendly. they helped me with any questions I had to do the job right. the most enjoyable part of the job was making sure my customers needs were met and they were happy.
Productive, friendly people to work with
Volunteered sorting out clothes for the homeless (Former Employee), Hayes, VANovember 16, 2014
Pros: breaks and friendly people
Cons: a student who cussed and had to leave early
At work there was one student who cussed and he had to leave early. I learned how to short different clothes and put them in the right place. My co workers were friendly. I enjoyed volunteering there. The hardest part was lifting heavy things.
great experience
Front Desk Attendant (Former Employee), Oakland, CANovember 13, 2014
great to help the community,putting a smile on family faces on holidays
lifeguarding
kettle ringer (Former Employee), Decatur, GANovember 13, 2014
maintain balance of pool chemicals. supervise swim time, offer and teach swim lessons.
Volunteer Work
Significant Volunteer Work (Former Employee), Moberly, MONovember 13, 2014
Pros: helping the community
i was the president of an organization called Mac Scholars, it was duty to book community service and to get businesses to sponsor us and help us out with fundraising so we could go visit colleges.
Communication and compensation sucks
Floor Supervisor (Current Employee), New Baltimore, MINovember 12, 2014
Pros: great people, interesting merchandise, flexibility
Cons: turn over, lack of communication, constantly short staffed
Salvation Army exploits the poor...to help the less fortunate???

They pay minimum wage (29 hours max) except to a select few. As a supervisor overseeing 7 people (it should be 12) I am paid a dollar more than minimum wage, as are the other supervisors in the store. It's definitely not a living wage.

We're always short staffed and hiring, however most – more... people can't seem to a) pass the drug test at orientation or b) handle the chaotic environment.

Communication is atrocious there on every level. In the 11 months I've worked at the same store, I've had 15 different supervisors. Managers are constantly being moved (apparently they can only be at a store 1 year, but only 2/15 got to that year mark. The store manager can definitely make or break working at the store. As an employee for 11 months, I have been in my department the longest.

Employees often have low morale; due to the stress of being short staffed, and under appreciated by management.

If you stay, it's probably because you like your coworkers. It's definitely not for the $. – less
good place to work
Warehouse/Forklift Operator (Former Employee), Montgomery street savannah, GA 31410November 12, 2014
management needs a lot of improvements,A bunch of manual labor.
depending what site and manager you have
Administration Assistant (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PANovember 12, 2014
The worst , upper management has no idea what staff responsibilities are or should be ...
I worked there as a temporary . My responsibilities were to review all charts, pre_ certification . Also included a system where rental receipts were automatically recorded for client , my manager the best. Wanted me there as a full time employee, HR, located a – more... location for me to expedite my skills, so
Within 8 hours of showing up at the site where I ed as requested I receive A phone call from some manager don't go there they selected a volunteer ,put offered me volunteer for the
Same position. They did not want too ok include a salary.. – less
we
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), Des Moines, IANovember 12, 2014
A typical day at work involves making sure all tills are ready for use for each cashier, all self checkouts are functioning properly for customers, plastic and paper bags are restocked for easy access for cashiers during busy hours, and practicing "COM" (count on me) for every customer. What I've learned is some of the grocery aspects of store as wel
OK.
Accounts Receivable Clerk (Former Employee), Detroit, MINovember 11, 2014
Pros: co workers.
Cons: not organized.
Ok place to work. Interesting job. Learned a lot about finance.
Fun workplace
Community Service Worker (Former Employee), Fontana, CANovember 10, 2014
starts by cleaning your work area. I did learn lots of things ┬┤cause this was my first work experince.
good place to be and see how you can touch peoples lives
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee), Champaign, ILNovember 8, 2014
the amount of daily donations are large so we have to get all that processed quickly so we don't get backed up,ive learned the registers and all the tasks an assistant manager entails.i enjoy when all staff sees the goals and works together to reach them but we are so short staffed right now that some of them are getting overwhelmed and not caring as – more... much about their job... I like the fact that we help so many people in making their life a little better....I just need a job at this time that gets me home sooner to my motherly duties as I don't get home now til 7:00 at night – less
excellent place for helping the less fortunate.
bell ringer (Former Employee), 1645nth25thstNovember 8, 2014
Pros: i got to help others as well as get extra cash for christmas.
Cons: standing in the cold
myself and others went out to various locations ringing bells to fund-raise for christmas.
Great mission to help the less fortunate in a Christian atmosphere
Secretary (Former Employee), TexasNovember 7, 2014
Pros: free lunch. good medical insurance.
Cons: confrontational leadership catered to those who fawned over them.
Higher management changes frequently. Each director changes policies with little or no warning or input from staff. Most have unattractive leadership skills and were difficult to work with. Employee staff were great, always trying to do the work helping others.
Great Workplace
Front lead Clerk (Former Employee), Northport, ALNovember 7, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: no cons
A typical day will be meeting all types of people. I learned that donation could be used on your taxes. Management is fun. Co-workers are a pleasure to work with. Hardest part of the job is being a cashier because everyone wants a deal. I enjoy every bit of the job.
A fun and professiona experience to gain
Housing Monitor (BOP) (Current Employee), Chattanooga, TNNovember 7, 2014
Work well with others as well as supervisors and learning new changeling stuff
Caretaker of toddlers
Teacher's Aide (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYNovember 5, 2014
Pros: free meals
Cons: not everyone is in it for the kids
Watching and caring for toddlers and infants. That child learn from what they see at home within their living enviroment. They are not a proactive in the overseeing of their workers. they come to get a paycheck not to help with the caring of the toddlers. Making sure that the toddlers learn soemtihg while in my care. When the kids come back to visit – more... when they leave to go on to kindergarden.. – less
very laid back
Manager (Former Employee), Sumter, SCNovember 3, 2014
Pros: long lunch, good pay
Cons: the management was almost unbearable
-waiting for customers to even show up
-learned what the manager has to do
-co workers could be rude, not accepting of you
-The management was rude and sometimes racist, did not want to listen to any suggestion and then would be very upset if you didnt get the business they needed.
-trying to make a manager happy when they wont listen but get angry – more... (almost throwing things) when you dont make the store any money.
-the customers and the hours were the most enjoyable part of the job – less
Productive and Fun place to work
Case Management Specialist (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXNovember 3, 2014
Very Challenging job but very rewarding. You are treated like family there and not like just an employee.
fast pace
Cook (Former Employee), Long Beach, CANovember 3, 2014
I was able to gain some manager skills that I still practice in my day to day life.

About The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army is a Christian church known for its thrift stores and charity work. It is an international movement that works – Read more

The Salvation Army Photos