The Salvation Army

3.0K reviews

The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

get to see lot of nice items I enjoy people being happy deals in store
Labourer (Current Employee), Brunswick, MEAugust 7, 2015
Pros: people i work with nice most of them work hard to
Cons: wages
I hang between 2000 2800 pieces of clothes a day take old clothes out price clothes depends what needs to get done having this job leaned name brands how get things done fast in organized matter I have nice boss I like people I work with and customers The hardest part is stocking an over stocked section I enjoy it customers can find items they need in right place I feel good when I leave all clothes are done
Great place to work for.
Bell Ringer (Former Employee), Fresno, CAAugust 7, 2015
Pros: christian based program
Cons: seasonal job
The Salvation Army was a great experience, I got to meet great leaders and learn a lot from this experience. It was a great honor for me to work with them and help with the fundraiser. I met kind people while I was out in the field.
Good place to work...
Cashier (Current Employee), Danville, PAAugust 7, 2015
Friendly atmosphere, family type place... if it were not for the fact that I moved and gas expenses have risen immensely, I would not be looking for another job closer to home.
good start for first time job
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Mount Vernon, NYAugust 7, 2015
relaxed environment, good employees, good pay for a part time job
friendly atmosphere. not many employees but nice customers.
Love to sale it in meeye concact is a plus and always smile.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Dallas, TXAugust 6, 2015
Pros: listen
Cons: eye contact
people love a person that knows what they are doing so I put my self out their for that person to the fullest.the peple all knew that I would give them a deal to steal so I was a inside sales person lead sales person man of the month cashier ive cook also for them.
Any other work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee), West Nyack, NYAugust 6, 2015
Pros: Benefits
Cons: Short Breaks, Salary, Management
During my time working for The Salvation Army i found the company to be very generous in Benefits, although it lacked in pay. The employees are great people who really make sure when your new that transition is smooth and that you able to adjust right away. The officer some can allow there power to go to there head and belittle empolyees.
This position does not exist anymore
Child Care Counselor (Former Employee), Providence, RIAugust 5, 2015
Unfortunately, the Child Care Program at the Salvation Army does not exist any more due to lack of funds. While I worked there, I used to drop children off to school in the morning and pick them back up from school. I would feed them lunch and snacks, help them with their home work and then break them up into different groups for different activities based on age.
Quite enjoyable with cheer and joy to spare
Volunteer (Former Employee), Winston-Salem, NCAugust 5, 2015
Pros: free luch
Cons: long hours
ALL volunteer work... Holiday season. Beautiful weather, smiles that l came from parents and children alike. It felt good to do something nice for asomeone else.
Always Helping the community.
Bell ringer seasonal, anualy (Former Employee), Ontario, CAAugust 5, 2015
Pros: Many perks.
Cons: Long hours with transitions to new tasks.
Great seasonal work.The public at times push the worker's boundaries and moral obligations to the limit. They always meet and go the rise, regardless.
Great Place!!
Accountant (Current Employee), Memphis, TNAugust 5, 2015
The Salvation Army is a great place to work for understanding and knowledge of how the non profit sector works. In this business I have learned a great deal of communication and I have also improved my skills in not only accounting but learning others areas of the organization as well. The downfall to this position is that there is no place for growth.
It's a homeless shelter, need I say more?
Shelter Volunteer (Former Employee), Wilmington, NCAugust 5, 2015
Pros: The staff was nice.
Cons: They kicked us out for the day.
This place is a sad excuse for a shelter. I thought I was being helped, but I was not. I met with a social worker who was trying to get me a place in the area, but she said it was flooded. In closing, I do not find this place appealing.
voluteer work
Thrift Store Associate (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 5, 2015
it was okay for the work I did do when I was there. I just wish they had more people that could info you on all your duties you were suppose to be doing while you were there.
Love it
Director (Former Employee), Elizabethtown, KYAugust 4, 2015
Pros: Help people
Cons: Lots of hours
I really enjoyed working for The Salvation Army, it was a lot of work but worth it to be able to help those in need. And the thrift store was great too
Fun Place
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Florida,TallahasseeAugust 4, 2015
Pros: Free Everything
Cons: Short breaks
Salvation Army is a fun place, enjoyable place. The staff are good workers. My time that was there was very excellent. I enjoy every step of the way. I experience a lot of activities there.
Productive work place
Volunteer Office Clerk (Current Employee), Saginaw, MIAugust 4, 2015
Pros: Communication and free food
It is a very productive work place and helps a lot of people. The Captains are very easy to work with and very caring. The staff at the Salvation Army are even more productive and caring.
Amazing Experience!
Music Instructor (Former Employee), Caguas, PRAugust 3, 2015
Pros: Serve young people
Cons: The program was dependent in insecure funds.
The job culture was very significant in my job as a instructor. I was able to employ all my abilities for the sake of accomplish every goal that the organization made for the program.
No consistency
Fitness/Exercise Instructor (Current Employee), Pensacola, FLAugust 3, 2015
Pros: Wonderful Benefits
Cons: Management
The Salvation Army is a wonderful non-profit organization as a whole, but the issue lies within the individual corps. Officers are transferred every 2-4 years so there is no consistency within the corps. Every officer comes in with new visions for the corps. Besides the lack of consistency the pay caps are low leaving very little opportunity to advance within your position.

I learned a great deal about ways that The Salvation Army helps those in need, and the organization really is amazing. The Salvation Army helps whenever and where ever they can.

The hardest part of the job is the inconsistency and lack of advancement.

The most enjoyable part of the job was helping those in need and teaching the children different life skills at the community center.
Great company to work with.
Family Services Coordinator (Current Employee), Las Vegas, NVAugust 3, 2015
Fast paced, exciting. Great people to work with.Great company to work with. Most known for drives and community service projects.
Cashier (Former Employee), Pontiac, MIAugust 2, 2015
Great customers who helps and teaches you everyday. So many different personalities running around you get a little bit of everything in their. You find a great experience in their. Things that you wouldn't think you would get in their you notice everyday.
very productive and busy
Store Manager (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLAugust 2, 2015
Pros: meeting new people and enjoying customers and attending graduations
Cons: Saying goodbye to transferring employees
Good employees made the job fun. New merchandising techniques were always implemented. The upper management was always willing to listen to new ideas. The hardest part of the job occurred when the bus with the workers was late or leaving to early. It put an extra load on those days for cashiers. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping customers and catching up with their daily lives, and sharing special occasions with the employees.