The Salvation Army
2,228 reviews

The Salvation Army Employer Reviews

above average this was just a temporary job
Evening Lodge Manager (Former Employee), Gadsden, ALOctober 27, 2014
Pros: helping and sevivng people
Cons: seeing others hardship and eventually seeing them get kicked out
I would come in at 4pm to register residents for the night. Then I provided a hot meal and clean it up. Then record the information from check in into the computer.
I enjoyed this job although it could be sad at times seeing peoples' misfortune.
interesting place to work
Stock processor (Current Employee), East Lansing, Mi 48823October 27, 2014
A typical day for me at work is aiding customers and employees in finding what they are looking for or need to complete a job. THis job has taught me alot in about to manage a crew of people and the strengths and weaknesses that are shown among the group and helping compensate for the weaknesses. I speak directly with management about what is going – more... on with the team, and different things that could improve the productivity as well as improving relations between management and other employees. The hardest part of my job is that there is sometimes miss communication that can effect a persons work schedule. The positive of my job is being able to help people and be able to work with a wide range of people. – less
Undefined Constantly Changing Job Description with no warning; Lack of staff; High turn over
Counselor (Former Employee), The Salvation Army Clitheroe CenterOctober 26, 2014
Pros: health insurance
Cons: no definitive job descriptions, no training, absent and abusive supervisors, lack of management, hostile work environment, no leadership, no team work, no human resources help, and absent supervisors and accountability to employees or clients
I would not work for The Salvation Army Clitheroe Center at this particular time because of the high turn over of supervisors, high turn over of counselors, constantly new untrained staff, and other supporting employees, and because of an extremely hostile work environment with no structure, accountability, or support for an employee.

The Salvation – more... Army Clitheroe Center, once a well respected non-profit. has become a very dysfunctional organization, that abuses it employees, allows a hostile work environment, and treats employees with as much as 12 years at the organization with unprofessional, unorganized, and abusive professional ethical treatment. Firing some 12 plus year supervisors on the spot, with no dignity, reasoning, or loyalty to those dedicated not to making money but to making a difference in someone's life.

The Clitheroe Center used to be a Clinical Program with
In the past two years The Clitheroe Center Outpatient and Residential programs have lost 85% of its Management, staff, directors, supervisors, financial, support staff, counselors, counselor assistants, and is not a place I would recommend to anyone at this time.

This environment cause a normally rewarding job that already deals with a high risk, high pressured deadline drive position to become in vain, unappreciated, and result in the employee doing 5-7 jobs for the pay of one job with expectations after hire. This protocol and lack of procedures , clear job descriptions, and lack of training causes stress to dedicated counselors who truly care about being an affective counselor. This occurs regardless of the employees title, efforts to want to be "on the front lines" in helping those in need, years of dedications, and loyalty

But with the loss of several directors, several supervisors, multiple (20 plus) counselors, Grants, Wellness Court, and staff it has suffered greatly.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the former Directors (two years ago) who were educated, doctors, licensed clinicians, and counselors dedicated to "doing only good", but sadly The Salvation Ciltheroe has now become a organization, that not only violates the "first do no harm policy", but abuses long time dedicated employees, verbally, emotionally, and professionally with no effort to offer a reasonable choice for firing, laying off, terminating or driving out with hostility, abuse, and unprofessional "constant new supervisors", who do not take into account those who have seniority, dedication, and loyalty. – less
love it
Tutor (Former Employee), Detroit, MIOctober 26, 2014
this job is going to be fun you work with everyone to someoit this job is the best i swear in the wokrd
Working wit customers
Cashier (Current Employee), Chicago, ILOctober 25, 2014
Pros: good hours
Cons: no insurance
Cashier, hanging clothes, working under pressured with customers, handling money and helping in other departments.
Fun and cooperative people
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Reading, PAOctober 24, 2014
Pros: listen the radio station while working
Cons: short breaks
I volunteer in the Salvation Army Store so I could do my senior project. It was a unique experience I learn a lot. The empoyees were really nice to me well I was the younger in there. I learn to work with other people, be organized, cooperative, and help others.
The hardest part of the job was to check if the donated clothes was clean; that was the – more... hardest thing to do because some of the donator were nasty and donate dirty clothes. – less
Intern position
Lead volunteer (Former Employee), Dallas, TxOctober 23, 2014
I enjoyed every minute. I love helping those in need. The employees were genuine and caring. They gave sack lunches to those waiting on food from food pantry. Great place to intern.
It is my joy to help Volunteer with the Salvation Army.
Volunteer (Current Employee), WIOctober 23, 2014
I support the mission, "Doing the most good". It is a Christmas job my family and I do every year. Giving back to others reminds us what Christmas is really about.
Great learning experience, good people, great staff
Volunteer,Warehouse and Kitchen (Former Employee), Orlando, FLOctober 23, 2014
I really enjoyed my time at this non-profit organization. They do a great job helping change lives, not only locally, but world wide
Unpaid internship
Call Center Intern (Former Employee), Denver, COOctober 23, 2014
Pros: friendly staff, management and co-workers. work life balance is excellent !!
I was an unpaid intern working in the call center for the Intermountain Division Headquarters and was greatly impressed with management and other staff members that worked in the building.
i had fun working there with others
Sorter/Packer (Former Employee), Rochester, NYOctober 22, 2014
Pros: nothing was free
Cons: there was a hour lunch brack
was working how to sorte threw stuff and keep good stuff and threw bad stuff away i was vary well managment i enjoy aver co worker that i worked with there was no hard part was working with others and geting my job done
It's a fun place to work and learn
Counselor (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYOctober 21, 2014
Pros: when the light comes on
Cons: too many end up back
I enjoy seeing a man start to come into his own and begin to understand his roll in life
productive place to work
Janitorial Services (Former Employee), Detroit, MIOctober 21, 2014
the most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with customers/ fellow coworkers.
Productive and fun with very energaetic people!
Production Line Supervisor (Current Employee), Sterling Heights, MIOctober 21, 2014
Pros: allowing me to freely exspress my new and fresh ideas pertaining to the store
Cons: short breaks
My typical work day is supervising a group of individuals in a fun, friendly and safe enviornment. Making sure that the production line is keeping up with the daily quota while attending to everyones individual needs. I also cashier and mercahandise the front end of the store while maintaining a stern but professional image. The hardest oart of my job – more... is being emapathetic to individual needs while holding a professional role and maintaining the store's needs. The most enjoyable part of my day is learning new things and accomplishing my daily goals as far as production output of a quota of 3200 pieces of clothing hitting the floor daily!!!! – less
helpfil work place
Housing Advocate (Current Employee), Bloomington, MNOctober 20, 2014
Pros: free food for everyone
Cons: busy
I injoy working with the homeless meeting people from all around the world their are so many different stories that come with ppl I mysele have learned a lot about myself just from working at the salvation army.
Salvation Army was a fun place to work because of the staff and children attending summer camp.
Driver (Former Employee), Hampton, VAOctober 20, 2014
Pros: 1 hour lunches
Cons: no longevity at this position, which is what i was initially looking for while seeking employment. .
What I learned while being employed with the Salvation Army is that they sincerely care for all of the children that they provided childcare for.

Although I was employed with them for a short span the managing staff was very dedicated to fulfilling their roles which greatly exceeded my expectations. This had always occurred during a typical day at – more... work and was the most enjoyable part of it.

The hardest part of the job was waiting for some of the staff to get the children ready for these organized scheduled field trips causing us to be late for some of them (field trips). – less
THE SALVATION ARMY
SUMMER CAMP COUNSELOR (Former Employee), Bronx, NYOctober 16, 2014
A TYPICAL DAY AT WORK WAS GREAT INTERACTING WITH THE CHILDREN WATCHING THEM HAVE SO MUCH FUN. I LEARNED HOW TO CARE FOR CHILDREN AND MAINTAIN IN A WORKING BUILDING. I ALSO LEARNED HOW TO BECOME PROFESSIONAL. MY CO-WORKERS ALWAYS STUCK TOGETHER BECAUSE WE KNEW THAT OUR JOB EFFECTS THE CHILDREN. THE HARDEST PART OF THE JOB WAS DEALING WITH THE BOSS.
Very helpful in the community
Receptionist (Former Employee), Rock Hill, SCOctober 16, 2014
Pros: helping others
Cons: part-time no benefits
I worked part-time and really enjoyed the services that were offered to the community.
Fun Place
House Parent (Former Employee), Grace HavenOctober 16, 2014
When the Child never come back from school, carryout the abscond procedures report to authority...
Goverment is very precious of our youth.Do their parent concern?

Management need to be updated and follow the social changes than work with co-workers to improve the youth.

The hardest part of the job when the children go against the house parent.

The – more... most enjoyable part is , they growing up still remember us. – less
Amazing Non-profit Organization
DATA ENTRY (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKOctober 15, 2014
Amazing group of people working for the betterment of the community. Taught me how to interact with the public with a positive attitude. Daily duties included data entry of personal information and filling shopping carts with food for the elderly, and various families to take home.

About The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army is a Christian church known for its thrift stores and charity work. It is an international movement that works – Read more

The Salvation Army Photos