The Salvation Army

2.9K reviews

The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

productive challenging
Truck Driver (Former Employee), Hot Springs, ARJuly 9, 2015
Pros: independed
Cons: health insurance
fun challenging supportive learned a new trade hard work spiritual I would work on the truck or warehouse learning new something everyday to grow as my responsabilies grew
Fun work place and good peoples to work with
General Laborer (Former Employee), Toledo, OHioJuly 9, 2015
Pros: Good discount
Cons: healthcare
sitting up floor for people can buy furniture lean more about maintenance responsibility and work with good peoples help peoples
A typical work day
Officer (Former Employee), NY,NYJuly 8, 2015
A typical day at work involves working with diverse group of people from politician, business people, low income families, professional, employees and religious members.
Life Altering
Event Staff (Current Employee), Pittstown, NJJuly 8, 2015
Pros: Usually free meals
Cons: Some volunteers are not in the best mood
Volunteering for The Salvation Army is always a blast! You meet new people and have a great chance to make someone's day! The work can be challenging but the people around you can either help make it go by or slow everything down.
Taught children how to play music and lead worship service on Sundays!
Director of Music (Former Employee), Riverhead, NYJuly 8, 2015
Pros: Great staff, amazing organization, great benefits
Cons: Had trouble teaching many children at once.
I had an wonderful experience leading the worship service with guitar playing and singing! This was my favorite part of the job with being the director of music. The other part of my job was to spend a few hours with kids a few nights a week and teach different instruments. I taught drums, piano and guitar. I found difficulty with this position because I never had experience working with kids and also teaching so many at once. It was challenging but it was something I wasn't capable of handling. I'm a better one on one teacher and with people ages 16 and up. Unfortunately, I couldn't just be the worship leader and not teach the kids music classes. I no longer saw myself fit for teaching the classes, so I resigned from my position. The management was wonderful and extremely understanding of my issue with the teaching and we left off on good terms! Lt. Kelly was one of the best bosses I've ever had and she has an amazing heart for people.
Nice People
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJuly 7, 2015
Pros: Free Lunch
Cons: Working Graveyard
Worked Nights I Learned How To Deal With People With Mental Health Issues. Management Were Very Good People.And Co-Workers Were Awesome. Hardest Part Of The Job Was Working Nights. Most Enjoyable Part Of The Job Was Interacting With Clients
effective management team
Production Manager (Former Employee), Swansea, MAJuly 7, 2015
Pros: excellent management team
Cons: pay is to low for work required
as a manager you are asked to work with little resources, many times short-handed fortunately for me I have an excellent team that works with me to make for a satisfying work experience
liked the people i worked with
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Marinette, WIJuly 7, 2015
Pros: free luches
Cons: not enough hours and pay
Fill food baskets, review mail, send out mail, get deposit ready to go to the bank. Take deposit to the bank. filing, Filling out profiles for persons for food pantry.
Working with people
Program Monitor (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHJuly 7, 2015
Pros: reading
Cons: nothing
I just like working with people and helping them it was like doinging what I always wanted to do in the nursing field.IT was a growing challenge to use my skills and experience to help.
Fun place to work, but poor hours and managment
Production Employee (Former Employee), Litchfield, ILJuly 6, 2015
Pros: payed sick time and vacation time
Cons: short breaks
It was a fun place to work. However, the management was very poor which made the requirements of the job inconsistent at best.
Social Service Coordinator/Office Manager (Former Employee), Bradford, PAJuly 6, 2015
I really enjoyed my time with the Salvation Army. If you enjoy helping others this is a great career choice for you. This organization will truly make you part of their family.
Not a fun place to work.
Receptionist (Former Employee), Turlock, California.July 5, 2015
Pros: None.
Cons: Rude management.
Typical day consisted of answering the telephone for the management part of the building as well as greeting anyone who happened to walk through the front doors as well. The management was sub-par since if you made a mistake they would make you work in the pantry despite it not being apart of your job title and responsibilities.
Always Fun
Furniture Mover (Former Employee), Tampa, FLJuly 4, 2015
I would work on a moving truck and work with my partner moving furniture out of peoples house or sometimes even help move a piece of furniture to another location in the house. My co-worker and me would greet the person we were taking the furniture from and hand would hand them a receipt with what they were donating on it, so they could use it for tax purposes. Sometimes we would be moving furniture out of homes for hours and then go to the next home to move more. In a typical day we would move anywhere from 8-25 tickets a day.( tickets being the receipts for people donating) We moved entertainment centers of all sizes, TV's of all sizes, desks, couches, beds.(ect...) We may have to go up to thrid story apartments and carry couches and tvs up and down stairs for 30 minutes to an hour straight. But working with my partner all day was a lot of fun because we became really good friends. We met really nice people with interesting backgrounds and stories. We traveled anywhere within a 1-2 hour radius of the Salvation Army warehouse. Then we would have to off-load the furniture with anywhere from doing it by ourselves to having three people help us and then would distribute the donations throughout the warehouse which i would see alot of my friends while running a piece of furniture down to a location.
Fun Place
Tagger/pricing (Former Employee), Fort Lauderdale, FLJuly 4, 2015
Working for salvation army is a really great work place the duties I preform are sorting items and to the carts to be marked down tagging each item making sure the sorting room area is clean at the end of the day
Teacher's Assistant
Relief Resident Assistant (Current Employee), Rochester, NYJuly 3, 2015
Pros: Kids are great.
Cons: Worried about keeping job all the time. Low on budget
Mostly working with children all day. Helping them complete their assignments. Alot of paperwork on the children and point scales of each child behavior. Alot of meetings on if the child will progress at the program.
FRIENDLY, CLEAN, AND COOPERATIVE WITH EMPLOYEES NEEDS.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Casselberry, FLJuly 3, 2015
Pros: CLEAN BREAK ROOM AND BONUS AT THE END OF THE YEAR.
Cons: CLEANING BATHROOMS.
A TYPICAL DAY IS WORKING AT A STEADY PACE OF EITHER RINGING AT THE CASH REGISTER OR MAINTAINING FLOOR MERCHANDISE OR PROCESSING MERCHANDISE TO BE PULL ON TO THE FLOOR. I LEARNED TO BE POLITE TO CUSTOMERS AND AT THE SAME TIME BE ALERT TO ALL MY SURROUNDINGS. MANAGEMENT WAS ALWAYS ON POINT AND CONSIDERATE TO ALL EMPLOYEES AND TREATED EVERYONE FAIRLY. THE HARDEST PART OF THE JOB WAS DEALING WITH SHOP-LIFTERS. THE MOST ENJOYABLE WAS CATCHING THEM.
good place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Key West, FLJuly 2, 2015
Pros: company bonuses
Cons: hanging a million 'tried on' clothes at the end of the day when you are already beat.
fun place to interact with customers. constantly entertained by what people buy and collect. sometimes you get free entertainment.. for example .. a piano donation almost always draws those who can't resist showing us their talent.. fun.
Assisting Clients
Shelter intake/Adinstrative Assistant (Former Employee), Bristol, TNJuly 2, 2015
Pros: Assisting others
Cons: Admininstrators never in the office
Assisted clients staying in the shelter with housing and employment opportunities. Assisted clients in the community with financial assistants for rent, electric, and water bills in the process of getting turned off as well as providing food. Coordinated the Angel Tree program for families with small children needing help with Christmas.
not to bad
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Fairless Hills, PAJuly 2, 2015
they kept changing my hours all the time which made me mad and wondered why I came in late. "some " of the people were nice didn't really like having to put all those clothes back
not good
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJuly 1, 2015
Pros: salary
Cons: no life beyond work.
as a exempt employee working for the salvation it felt we were not entitled to a life of our own. That my life now belonged to my employer i.e. The Salvation Army.