The Salvation Army
2,495 reviews

The Salvation Army Employer Reviews

overall great place
delivery driver (Former Employee), Centralia, ILFebruary 12, 2015
i really enjoyed the people i worked with and the customers i came in contact with.The job as delivery driver was a fun and energetic job, but the pay and lack of benefits is less than deseriable
Non-Profit
IT MANAGER (Former Employee), Dallas, TXFebruary 12, 2015
The Salvation army does some very awesome things.
Typical day would be managing the ticket system que, assigning tasks to staff members. Monitoring network and bandwidth, contacting users for issue resolution. Inventory management, Life Cycle management and budgeting.
Provided one on one Substance Abuse Counseling & Case Management to 7 beneficiaries
House Mother (Current Employee), Saugus, MAFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: friendly staff/beneficiaries- cohesive work environment-same goals
Cons: would of like to run groups, not enough time.
I would check in with my supervisor, then meet with the beneficiaries one on one. Assess and monitor their care, issues, concerns and recovery process. Teach life skills, Introduced 12 step program, gave homework assignments for beneficiaries about changes in their way of life. Assessed how treatment benefited them or not.
Facilitated Doctor appts, court dates, spoke with probation officers, provided documentation on progress.
How to do Psych-social, Progress notes.
Followed up with Staff members to ensure beneficiaries concerns etc were followed through.
I learned how to work effectively with a multicultural group of men and how they differ in the recovery process.
Management was cohesive and worked effectively to ensure beneficiaries growth, spirituality, work therapy, social skills all aspects of each beneficiaries life was dealt with through weekly staff mtgs.
The hardest part of job, was when beneficiaries left the program with out completion.
The most enjoyable was the interaction between the beneficiary and myself working through the recovery process.
House Mother (Current Employee), Saugus, MAFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: friendly staff/beneficiaries- cohesive work environment-same goals
Cons: would of like to run groups, not enough time.
How to do Psych-social, Progress notes.
One of the hardest jobs I had. and worst paying
Cashier, Sales, Dept Management (Former Employee), Sacramento, CAFebruary 11, 2015
Pros: medical insurance
Cons: the unfair treatment of the employees.
I worked in the sorting room, and the store both at different times. I learned every aspect of the business, but there was no typical day. The management had no control over the workers, The sorting room was 10 degrees hotter in then out in the summer, 10 degrees colder in the winter. The co-workers, some was nice and others mean to the bone. The day I went back to doing in home care full time and walked out into the real world was the best part of the job.
Great Organization
Custodial Maintenance Worker (Current Employee), Dallas, TXFebruary 11, 2015
Pros: when get go to sports events
Cons: work partime
Always had a great and productive work day, there was somrthing new and exciting on a day by day basic.How to be a people person interacting with the senior and youth patrons.The management was very professional. Co-worker were team players.Most enjoyable when everyone had a good day at the facilities.
good retail enviroment
SALES,PRICER (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: store area
Cons: part time
overall rating good. management a plus and peaple the a friendly. job only part time as i would like to work full time for them.
Bad Management
Team Member (Seasonal) (Former Employee), Newark, NJFebruary 9, 2015
One of the benefits of volunteering is that we can decide to intentionally leave our comfort zones in order to experience new and challenging situations, environments, or roles.
Horrible
Assistant Supervisor (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLFebruary 9, 2015
The worst job ever! I wouldn't recommend it to a felon. They treat their workers (men that are court ordered to go through the program) like they are animals. They expect the supervisors to do the same.
It was a good experience.
Stock Team Member (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNFebruary 8, 2015
A typical day at this job for me was stocking and moving furniture. I learned how people donations really help people that is less fortunate. Management at this job was fair, nice and I enjoyed work along side them. My Co-workers for the most part were okay. the hardest part of the job was using physical strength everyday. the most enjoyable part of the job is getting to meet all the different customers.
Very stable company.
Business Director (Current Employee), Camden, NJFebruary 8, 2015
Pros: benefit heavy with significant vacation days and holidays
Cons: little job security and chance for advancement
My position requires the management and oversight of several departments with long hours. Unfortunately, I have reached the pinnacle of my career with The Salvation Army without becoming an Officer/Minister.
An effective learning environment
Caseworker (Former Employee), Bismarck, NDFebruary 8, 2015
I learned a great deal about affordable housing and the homeless and at-risk of homelessness population through serving them and providing emergency services.
Productive and fun workplace with opportunities to advance
SORTER (Former Employee), Syracuse, NYFebruary 8, 2015
Pros: subsidized food, free gym, personal training for very cheap
Cons: only 30 min lunch break, must work some/most holidays/snowdays/etc., sitting at a desk for 8 hours/day
This is a good job if you have no other options. They hire mostly people that have little to no work experience or who are desperate for a job, or people they know. It’s great if you got hired based on knowing someone, because then you will be fast track promoted within no time. Otherwise, there is no chance at moving up, no matter how hard you work. No breaks, micromanagement like nothing I’ve ever experienced before, complete lack of critical thinking skills in every department. God forbid you have a good idea that might help the business, it will get shot down or someone will take it as their own. Pay is terrible. Stay away from this place unless you are desperate.
The position at SA allows me groth....
Warehouse Supervisor (Current Employee), Waukegan, ILFebruary 7, 2015
Pros: positive feedback
Cons: slow donation season
7:30 AM Mon- Fri starts with a meeting with our drivers followed with a meeting with key staff members, in order to set the directional tone for the day. Truck loading, delivery schedules, unloading of arrival trucks. Processing donations to determine sellable from un-sellable so as to accumulate the product to be shipped the following day. Everyday is different in that we just don't know what to expect so we are proactive in our approach to each day. Some days the hardest part is not knowing if we are prepared, and if we aren't, we have a situation added to the following day.
Enjoyable is receiving a sales report showing sales are up. This means we shipped the write amount of the write product...
fun place to work
Cashier (Current Employee), Davison, MIFebruary 7, 2015
Working at this store was often times fun, but only because of excellent co-workers. Dealing with customers gets old fast and the job because tiresome quickly.
Good place to work.
Driver / Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Santa Ana, CAFebruary 7, 2015
Pros: all the food you can eat.
Cons: not many. great place to, great benefits
Picking up donations from business, sorting and delivering to the four family services offices, that serviced the needed. Taking over for the manager in his absence. I learned there was a lot of people in need. Management was great, showed compassion to me and the people we served. My co-workers most were good people, others did not compassion needed for the job. The hardest part was seeing all the needed people. The most enjoyable was we were trying to help.
Loved the job, felt very appreciated by other staff
Support Supervisor (Former Employee), Denver, COFebruary 7, 2015
Found the job challenging. People were very appreciative of my teams work and my positive attitude. Many compliments on how quickly issues were resolved and the quality of work.
Upper management was out of touch of daily issues and seemed closed minded to new ideas.
My team was great. They all worked hard and did great work. Again not really appreciated by upper management.
Getting upper management to take a closer look at the problems that our local locations were having technically. Hard to get anyone to respond to my requests.
Again the job was fun and all the people I worked with really appreciated my effort.
Amazing place to work
Housing Assistant (Former Employee), Spokane, WAFebruary 6, 2015
Pros: friendly people, helpful, understanding
I very much enjoyed working for salvation army. The people I worked with were amazing and very friendly , they also did everything they could to make me feel at home and comfortable. I learned a lot about the office setting and how to use all different types of office equipment as well as learning to multi-task more then I already knew. I felt very good working someplace where people cared about other people and just about them selfs
A place where you need to be yourself,and learn to trust others.
Clothing Prosessor (Former Employee), Denver, COFebruary 6, 2015
Pros: became a better person, and learned more about who i am.
A very enriching and wholesome place to work. I learned something new everyday about work and about myself. Everybody there seemed to have a very positive attitude about life, and seemed to enjoy being there as much as I did.
Great place to work, Fun people and they care about you.
Life Skills Coordinator (Current Employee), Decatur, ILFebruary 6, 2015
This is a great place to work, a lot of fun. Everyone treats you like family and understands your daily needs and struggles as a human being.

About The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army is a Christian church known for its thrift stores and charity work. It is an international movement that works – Read more

The Salvation Army Photos