The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

Helping people when they most need it.
Shelter Manager (Current Employee) –  Freeport, TXNovember 20, 2017
Love working helping people. To much stress for the amount of pay. Great health benefits just little pay. Love the people I work with and the different organizations I get to work with.
Work and the bible
Addiction Counselor Intern (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CANovember 19, 2017
Only go here to avoid jail, or get off the streets. It's more of a free labor scam than a rehab. Most counselors are interns and know very little, very little recovery.
Pros
they supply all your needs
Cons
alot of work and the bible
mainly its helping homeless and needy *which is a payment in itself
Scott Moorhouse, Senior Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 19, 2017
open the shelter, do in-take, and then at 8:30 pm lights out until 5 to 6 am, clean up, and then shelter staff can leave. Primarily its to keep the homeless safe from the streets in a place where they may rest from the day and not be in the elements.
Pros
helping people in need
Cons
some inept managers
very fun
Customer Service Team Member (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORNovember 18, 2017
I worked there for almost a year i loved it and was very sad to leave, it was fast paced and our customers were amazing always made you smile. miss it
productive and safe job for the holidays.
Bell Ringer (Former Employee) –  Monroe, LANovember 18, 2017
A typical day at work is dealing with all races, attitudes, mood swings of different people. There will be laughter, and joy especially around the holidays. I learned how to be more polite and more nicer to others, to not only think of myself but the one's around me. I also learned how to not be shy and talk to people. The management is really nice. The workplace culture is nice and friendly. The hardest part of the job is when the sun goes down and the temperature drops, the most enjoyable part is putting smiles on everyone's faces and the feeling of knowing you helped out on giving someone's misfortunate child a Christmas.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Breaks, Pay fairly
I enjoyed the job
Assistant Manger (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 17, 2017
I learned a lot working there. I met and still today maintained connections with the families we helped. It was nice watching the families that visited the store,the children growing up. Knowing that because we helped them their children had coats for the winter.
Pros
Great job, good benefits.
Cons
They dont pay into unemployment
Decent first time job
Full-Time Donation Attendant (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILNovember 17, 2017
Wouldn't recommend if you are trying to advance in company. you start at part time and have to work your way up to full time because there is only one full time position per store besides management. The first store I worked at was great, had a very friendly atmosphere and the majority of managers were good. Then I got promoted to full time and had to transfer to another store. Store manager at that store was very unprofessional and disrespectful. She had favorites and it was very obvious because her favorites could leave early or call off whenever. But overall you get low pay and rarely any advancements. Would only recommend for a first time job for experience.
Pros
Good co-workers, paid holidays
Cons
low pay, little room for advancement, some poor management
Productive and caring work environment
Bell Ringer (Former Employee) –  Providence, RINovember 17, 2017
On a typical workday we would meet at the main Salvation Army office in Providence, RI and then be dropped off at different retail locations by van where would spend 8 hours collecting cash donations from the general public.
Great Job 10/10
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Mount Vernon, NYNovember 17, 2017
We get in, get our routes & get out to work. We got a helper, a hand truck and some tools for our route. we greet donors and connect with dispatch always.

at the end of the day the dispatcher whose been at base with the captain relays a message to the driver whether to come back to base with donations or to place them in one of our stores.

we close the yard at 4 and come in and do it again.
Pros
great lunches if you work store truck
Cons
sometimes your working in a slippery truck due to snow or rain
At the time I was there, there was a very young, authoritarian manager. I doubt this is still the case.
Financial Services Intake Specialist (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORNovember 17, 2017
Non profits pay little monetarily but are rewarding spiritually if you have a good manager and are given the leeway to do what you feel is right and good.
Pros
fighting the good fight
Cons
low pay
good work place with good people
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VANovember 16, 2017
I wish i could go back i only stopped working for them because i moved out of the state. They were very nice and always willing to work with me around my life outside of work.
Pros
people are nice
Cons
Very greatful to have worked for the salvation army.
Bell Ringer (Former Employee) –  Yubacity ca,November 16, 2017
Bell, ringing was a wonderful experience , able to meet all different types of people willing to give from their own pocket to help out another American in the time of need.the staff and management where very nice and easy to get along with .
Pros
Helping others in need.
Cons
That it is only seasonal.
It felt good to help others.
Store Maintenance and Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Trenton, NJNovember 16, 2017
The Salvation Army has an intrinsic role in the community by the way it helps the needy and less fortunate with affordable goods and clothing. The Salvation Army is a an excellent organization to be a part of.
Pros
Positive atmosphere
Cons
Low pay
Best job ever.
Christmas Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXNovember 15, 2017
I've never had any other job that excited me as much as this job. I believe in everything we do, and the staff are so down to earth! I wish they offered more than seasonal positions, but either way, I will always go back every year!
Pros
Free snacks, casual environment, 1 hour lunches.
Cons
Less than 40 hour work weeks.
counseling.
Rehabilitation Center Internship (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 15, 2017
It was a typical day at work just like any other office work. You will follow the rule that has been set for you by your supervisor, attend to the client according to their need and report to your supervisor. You will learned how to listen to the client and respond to their need; management are fair, if they want to target you, then no matter what you do, they will always complain about it, but nevertheless, its still not bad to work. The hardest part of the job is when you can't fulfill your client want, but you are always allow to referral them to where they can get help. The most enjoyable part of the job is when you can make your client smile then you too can smile.
Pros
Alway meet new client
Cons
not ready to change.
Sally Life
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Pontiac, MINovember 15, 2017
It was an okay job. I think the reason I liked it so much was because of the people that I worked with majority of the time. it was a different but fun experience for sure.
Family
Driver/Custodian (Former Employee) –  Hanford, CANovember 15, 2017
Great employer! Everybody was respecting each other. The work environment overall was great and I got nothing but respect for the organization. We work together as a family and that was a great experience.
Facilities Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NENovember 15, 2017
The benefits and people who work here are awesome. a lot of the employees have been here a very long time and really feels like a family at times. I have been able to advance twice through the years to better myself and for my family. I love working here.
Great Job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brockton, MA 02301November 14, 2017
The people at this job are great people that love to help others.The job is all about helping the less fortunate and can really put a smile on your face every single day.
Pros
People
Cons
N/a
work
Accounting Clerk/Staff Accountant (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 14, 2017
i work there in accounting. it is alright. my boss is very old and i don't think she ever intends on retiring. the pay is outrageous. I barely make minimum wage and save the company tens of thousands per year.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Salvation Army. Our community is ready to answer.