The Salvation Army
2,805 reviews

The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

The Salvation Army
Volunteer (Former Employee), Camden, NJJune 4, 2015
Pros: Helping others
Cons: no cons
I volunteered for The Salvation Army and it was a wonderful experience. I helped out wherever I was needed. I mostly enjoyed serving lunch to the less fortunate. Although at times it was sad, it really warmed my heart to know that I was helping in some way. I always enjoyed volunteering with the children. Being able to help them with homework or just life situations was a big highlight. I felt that if I could help one problem it was all worthwhile.
Food pantry
Receptionist/Intake Worker Volunteer (Former Employee), Kenosha, WIJune 3, 2015
Data Entry for clients personal information and services obtained using Service Point System, Create Spreadsheets of Donated Goods, Input Volunteer time into Excel
Caring Staff
Social Ser Rep/Furn. Pick-Up Sup (Former Employee), Sanford, NCJune 3, 2015
Pros: Help and Assisting People in Need Throughout The Community
Cons: Low Pay Wages Due to the fact The Salvation Army is a Non-Profit
I had two separate Captains (the Salvation Army gives their leaders titles like those in the Army) while working at the Salvation Army. The first Captain was very hands on: he assisted in the furniture pick-ups and assisted at the Family Store as well. The second Captain focused more on the ministry side of things. Thus, when I transitioned to the Social Services Representative, a lot of times I had to handle the clients' needs on my own. Still, the people who worked for the Salvation Army cared about reaching out to the community and even though it was a thrift store, the Family Store Staff cared for the place as if it was a Major Department Store. Loved the People I had the Opportunity to Work with!
fun place
Volunteer (Former Employee), woodhavenJune 3, 2015
Knowledge of effective customer service techniques; the principles and practices of basic mathematics.Ability to meet attendance requirements; read, write, and communicate the English language; operate a cash register; perform routine mathematical computations and count change; perform frequent walking and/or standing, kneeling, or squatting relieved by lesser periods of sitting or operating a vehicle.
Productive work environment with great co workers
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), Bronx, NYJune 2, 2015
Pros: none
Cons: dinner break 1 hr health care
My typical work day is busy with a constant flow of clients entering the facility for services. Constant supervision of intake,security and housekeeping staff. Learned that Team work gets things done with your co workers. The hardest part of the job is the complex nature of the residents, dealing with mental health, substance abuse and non complaint resident. The most enjoyable part of the job is when clients tahnk you for the services rendered, which does not happen all the time.
Postive Work envioronment
Retail Manager (Former Employee), Rochester, NYJune 2, 2015
Pros: Flexability
Cons: not enough staffing
I love working with new people and advancing my work experience at the salvation army, always had a positive outlook and tried my best to succeed in the retail world
Fulfilling work with positive environment
Crisis services advocate (Current Employee), Jamestown, New YorkJune 2, 2015
A typical day at the Anew center varies on position and shift. It is a fast paced work environment that can be difficult emotionally depending on the client case. There is a lot of time spent talking to clients either on the phone or in person at the shelter. There are also many opportunities to go to surrounding hospitals and come along side those in need. While the job is not emotionally easy, changing the lives of women in the community makes it worth it.
Fun place to work
IT PROJECT MANAGER (Former Employee), Sacramento, Ca.June 1, 2015
Pros: Excellent sick time and vacation.
Cons: Lower pay for the type of work done.
I really enjoyed working here. I did a wide variety of IT related duties. Management was excellent, as well as, co-workers. The job just didn't offer top pay for the work done, since it was non-profit. Also, the benefits packages were very expensive for a person with a family, but vacation and sick time were good. The best part of this job was the wide range of things I was involved to work on.
Great at helping people between jobs!
Temporary Maintenance Worker (Former Employee), Bell, CAJune 1, 2015
Very Helpful
Offers short term training
Transfer into new employment
Enjoy meeting new people
Great experience
Working with a variety of people
Very Fulfilling working with them
Volunteer (Former Employee), Fairfield, CAMay 31, 2015
My experience at the salvation army was a positive one. I was able to help tons of people in need.Since i was only a volunteer it is not fair of me to rate things like job security and benefits.
challenging
Floor Associate (Current Employee), Southgate, MIMay 31, 2015
a typical day consists of sorting and putting away all of the clothes that have been processed throughout the day,cleaning fitting rooms, and cleaning the store. i have learned patience. the hardest part of this job is that it is very hectic and physical. the most enjoyable part of working at this store is that everybody is close like a big family and we all support each other.
work place
dinner room attendent (Former Employee), 814 light st 2nd floor Baltimore MD 21230May 29, 2015
Pros: free lunches, free snacks
Cons: short breaks, 9 hours of work everyday
it was hot.i gain experience.co-workers was a push on. the hardest was getting to know people and remember names. the enjoyable part was getting to get experience to get another job.
Doing the most good.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVMay 29, 2015
Great organization to work for and reach people, great health benefits. Needs to find a better balance to be able to raise their employees wages.
Come to work and deal with it!
Clothing Processer/Cashier (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMMay 29, 2015
Pros: bonuses
Cons: only part-time work
The supervisor was never around when you had a question. There was no medical coverage. No open door policies for the employees. The job was only part-time.
Excellent work training to re-enter job market
Team Member/Leader (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMay 29, 2015
Pros: Excellent work training
Cons: dirty/dusty warehouse work
production-driven environment, standing all day, management system that didn't always make sense, able to work without being micro-managed, relaxed like-minded co-workers
free food
Temporary Stocker (Former Employee), Dodge Park MichiganMay 29, 2015
Nice and friendly enviroment. I learned the importace of organizing and separating. The manager was really nice and was looking forward to hiring me after graduation. The hardest part of the job was unloading large items off of trucks. i mostly enjoyed the co-workers. This experience really taught me a lot about work ethics.
Very productive enviorment. Great people i worked with.
cashier/customer service (Former Employee), Redondo Beach, CAMay 28, 2015
Pros: Great benefits
Cons: Breaks werent always given at the proper time
A typical day greet customers, order special merchandise, working in the call center product management. What i learn is if you show intrest in learning new things it gives you a chance to grow in the company. The management team was wonderful and helpful. My co workers where great team players. The most challenging thing was learning different departments. I enjoyed the sense of getting things done and having satisfied customers
Relaxed and fun
Summer Camp Director (Former Employee), Rock Hill, SCMay 27, 2015
One of my favorite things to do is work with children and with this job I was able to do that. The workplace itself was a relaxed and fun place to go to work, I loved it.
Volunteer (Former Employee), Mankato, MNMay 26, 2015
Volunteering here made me more interested in stocking clothes. I learned how to tagged clothes and hang clothes. My co-workers were all friendly. I enjoyed walking around the store fixing clothes that are knocked down. I also enjoy making the work area much more neat.
Productive and fun place to work
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), Bronx, NYMay 26, 2015
Overall a great place to work. You feel a sense of need by helping those in need. Great people and wonderful environment.

About The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army is a Christian church known for its thrift stores and charity work. It is an international movement that works – Read more

The Salvation Army Salaries

Camp Counselor
$316 per week

The Salvation Army Photos

Captain Kettle---Holiday Parade
This is why I worked there
feeding others