The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army Employer Reviews

A place for recovery
Volunteer (Former Employee), Perris caJuly 17, 2014
Pros: 3 meals a day, exercise equipment and bible study daily
Cons: attended classes daily short down time
I learned how to work well with others and become a team player.
How to follow oral and or written instructions. The most enjoyable part about Volunteering was me stepping outside myself my life and being of service for those who are in need. It made me feel good about myself as well.
Rewarding job, knowing that you've assisted in helping others.
Volunteer Worker (Former Employee), Mount Pleasant, MIJuly 17, 2014
Pros: it's personally rewarding to help the less fortunate.
I am not qualified to give a complete review. I did not work as an employee. I merely, volunteered for a couple of weeks.
>I helped out with sorting merchandise, shifting and reorganizing stock, and cleaning.
>It wasn't a very difficult job. It was more like large scale chore work.
My daily summaries at work
Receptionist (Current Employee), Petersburg,VaJuly 16, 2014
Answering incoming telephoned calls monitoring visitors and maintain office supplies.
Years of working with great people.
Assistance Supervisor (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 16, 2014
Pros: teaching
Cons: laid off
Salvation Army was a job people can say it is a stepping stone of learning. This job was my learning tool. All my skill came from Salvation Army. I worked there for over 10 years I have no regrets my coworker were good, daily task was always a learning experiences.
I worked as an intern in the kitchen I enjoyed being in there and working for them it was fun
Bell Ringer (Former Employee), Boone, NCJuly 15, 2014
Pros: wish it didn't have to end
I had fun working as an intern I learned what it takes to operate and cook in a full-size commercial kitchen.I enjoy cooking and loved beng around everyone who worked there.
Productive fun place to work
Housekeeper (Former Employee), Queens, NYJuly 13, 2014
Pros: free lunch
Cons: break time to short
Nice place to work if your willing to work with the homeless. Pretty small place.
help the community
Bell Ringer (Former Employee), Bay City, MIJuly 12, 2014
Pros: meeting people, talking, helping the community
Cons: cold, long hours
I like this non profit organization program because doing the bell ringing helps fund the needy who are not so wealthy, poor, or very poor. You get to meet and greet and help people. It helped me with my communication skills. I talked a lot in good high spirits and was joyous for the Christmas season.
Great place to work, wonderful managers
Resident Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Davenport, IAJuly 11, 2014
Pros: great company to work for, great co-workers, i love that i can help clients in thier situation.
Cons: not having communication, trust with other assistant manager, not being able to share my thoughts, having them heard, no respect for me of being the assistant manager as well.
I really love my job working at Salvation Army, I've been here a year and a half. I have a great relationship with my managers and co-workers. Ive had the chance to excel in my job, going from 3rd shift to days and then becoming a assistant manager with in year of being here.
Liberty of helping others
cleaning crew, kitchen server (Former Employee), Greenville, MSJuly 10, 2014
Pros: supplying food and clothes for those in need
Cons: not having enough supplies
It was very satisfying being able to be there for someone who needs help.
Busy
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Tampa, FLJuly 9, 2014
Pros: close by
Cons: bad management
I really enjoyed my job and interactions with Board members and residents in the shelter. We served all kinds of people and we did not discriminate at all.
Excellent place to work at.
Assistant to Social Service director (Current Employee), rochester nhJuly 9, 2014
It is very fullfilling to help other people. Very organized office.
not enough pay for dock work
Dock Worker (Former Employee), Detroit, MIJuly 9, 2014
Cons: pay
needs new and better functioning equipment, days where long and boring, not enough pay for dock work, breaks where fine, pallet jacks broke often and they only had 2 hi-lo's
Fun place to work in, family oriented
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 9, 2014
It was a pleasure working with this company. Supporting the community and being part of helping those in read was a rewarding experience.
Teaching the Kids
Volunteer Work (Former Employee), Stockton, CAJuly 8, 2014
Pros: free lunch, flexible, and reasonable hours
Cons: kids that don't like to listen
Teaching the kids day to day for a week was challenging but overall very entertaining and fun. A typical day would consist of breakfast-snack in the morning and playtime during the day. Also some days we would do special activities or go on field trips.
Rewarding job with direct view of community benefit
Salvation Army Officer (Former Employee), Santa Monica, CAJuly 8, 2014
I enjoyed working for The Salvation Army and learning the many skills that I can carry on towards my next career.
Produtive
Case Manager/ Facilitator (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVJuly 8, 2014
Pros: fun environment
Cons: got shut down!
• Refereed residents and families to community resources to improve well-being and quality of life.
• Streamlined and improved program operational processes by offering up new ideas and researching positive outcomes in other agencies.
• Set goals with clients related to employment and financial planning and worked with them to track progress.
• Kept – more... current case notes on all clients.
• Facilitated Life Skills courses.
• Worked with senior case managers to coordinate team development activities and trainings.
• Conducted competency-based, interactive interviews to identify client’s needs – less
Great work environment!
Customer Service (Former Employee), North Canton, OHJuly 8, 2014
Pros: great people
I loved working for this company but I wanted to be able to continue my education full-time.
Nights working a christmas tree lot
Christmas Tree Sales to benefit (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAJuly 7, 2014
This was not directly affiliated with The Salvation Army but our profits were donated as a group
A nice job
Accounting/Payroll Clerk (Former Employee), Trenton, NJJuly 6, 2014
As the payroll/account clerk at the Salvation Army Trenton ARC, I expanded on my experience. I completed the payroll in its entirety from timecards to processing and distribution utilizing Paychex Preview. I handled benefits for the employees, such as health and life insurance, workman's comp, pension contributions, W-2s. I also learned about the hiring – more... process at the Salvation Army and what was required by government and company guidelines.

The management was less than desirable and left room for a lot of suspicion. At the latest audit just held at the end of June, the management was cited for not handling the money deposits according to the protocol of the Salvation Army. My manager did not have any respect for protocols and yet, she was handling some very large amounts of money.

The environment was hostile and got even worse as time went on and I gained expertise in my limited functions. I tolerated this the best that I could; but made sure that I did my job accurately, and honestly, and kept meticulous records. Because I followed the policies and adhered to the guidelines of the company, I believe worsened the hostility as this did not coincide with the shady practices of the manager. I wasn't really cited for anything in the audit, but was taught a couple of things that were unbeknownst to me. I believe it is because of my recordkeeping that these shady practices were revealed in the audit. Therefore, I was let go.

I only had one office co-worker who I enjoyed working with. I was not permitted to talk to anyone so I never really got to know anybody. But, I did enjoy servicing whoever I was permitted to service. I really did not have a problem with anybody, nor did they have a problem with me. Unfortunately, my manager was highly suspicious and distrustful of me the whole length of my employment. I did not manage any funds.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the fact that I was doing the work that I had expertise in, and I got to learn a couple of new things.

Although I knew my ending would not be happy, I felt strongly that I had to consistently maintain my limited workload to the best of my ability according to what was required by the standards of the Salvation Army. I have no regrets; I feel I accepted the job in good faith, understood my position, and provided honest and detailed work. – less
Below Average
Volunteer (Former Employee), Portland, ORJuly 5, 2014
Pros: free food.
Cons: lazy/easy work
The work was hardly fulfilling, and my partner and I had too much free time.

About The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army is a Christian church known for its thrift stores and charity work. It is an international movement that works – Read more

The Salvation Army Photos