The Salvation Army
2,490 reviews

The Salvation Army Employer Reviews

One of the hardest jobs I had. and worst paying
Cashier, Sales, Dept Management (Former Employee), Sacramento, CAFebruary 11, 2015
Pros: medical insurance
Cons: the unfair treatment of the employees.
I worked in the sorting room, and the store both at different times. I learned every aspect of the business, but there was no typical day. The management had no control over the workers, The sorting room was 10 degrees hotter in then out in the summer, 10 degrees colder in the winter. The co-workers, some was nice and others mean to the bone. The day I went back to doing in home care full time and walked out into the real world was the best part of the job.
Great Organization
Custodial Maintenance Worker (Current Employee), Dallas, TXFebruary 11, 2015
Pros: when get go to sports events
Cons: work partime
Always had a great and productive work day, there was somrthing new and exciting on a day by day basic.How to be a people person interacting with the senior and youth patrons.The management was very professional. Co-worker were team players.Most enjoyable when everyone had a good day at the facilities.
good retail enviroment
SALES,PRICER (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: store area
Cons: part time
overall rating good. management a plus and peaple the a friendly. job only part time as i would like to work full time for them.
Bad Management
Team Member (Seasonal) (Former Employee), Newark, NJFebruary 9, 2015
One of the benefits of volunteering is that we can decide to intentionally leave our comfort zones in order to experience new and challenging situations, environments, or roles.
Horrible
Assistant Supervisor (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLFebruary 9, 2015
The worst job ever! I wouldn't recommend it to a felon. They treat their workers (men that are court ordered to go through the program) like they are animals. They expect the supervisors to do the same.
It was a good experience.
Stock Team Member (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNFebruary 8, 2015
A typical day at this job for me was stocking and moving furniture. I learned how people donations really help people that is less fortunate. Management at this job was fair, nice and I enjoyed work along side them. My Co-workers for the most part were okay. the hardest part of the job was using physical strength everyday. the most enjoyable part of the job is getting to meet all the different customers.
Very stable company.
Business Director (Current Employee), Camden, NJFebruary 8, 2015
Pros: benefit heavy with significant vacation days and holidays
Cons: little job security and chance for advancement
My position requires the management and oversight of several departments with long hours. Unfortunately, I have reached the pinnacle of my career with The Salvation Army without becoming an Officer/Minister.
An effective learning environment
Caseworker (Former Employee), Bismarck, NDFebruary 8, 2015
I learned a great deal about affordable housing and the homeless and at-risk of homelessness population through serving them and providing emergency services.
Productive and fun workplace with opportunities to advance
SORTER (Former Employee), Syracuse, NYFebruary 8, 2015
Pros: subsidized food, free gym, personal training for very cheap
Cons: only 30 min lunch break, must work some/most holidays/snowdays/etc., sitting at a desk for 8 hours/day
This is a good job if you have no other options. They hire mostly people that have little to no work experience or who are desperate for a job, or people they know. It’s great if you got hired based on knowing someone, because then you will be fast track promoted within no time. Otherwise, there is no chance at moving up, no matter how hard you work. No breaks, micromanagement like nothing I’ve ever experienced before, complete lack of critical thinking skills in every department. God forbid you have a good idea that might help the business, it will get shot down or someone will take it as their own. Pay is terrible. Stay away from this place unless you are desperate.
The position at SA allows me groth....
Warehouse Supervisor (Current Employee), Waukegan, ILFebruary 7, 2015
Pros: positive feedback
Cons: slow donation season
7:30 AM Mon- Fri starts with a meeting with our drivers followed with a meeting with key staff members, in order to set the directional tone for the day. Truck loading, delivery schedules, unloading of arrival trucks. Processing donations to determine sellable from un-sellable so as to accumulate the product to be shipped the following day. Everyday is different in that we just don't know what to expect so we are proactive in our approach to each day. Some days the hardest part is not knowing if we are prepared, and if we aren't, we have a situation added to the following day.
Enjoyable is receiving a sales report showing sales are up. This means we shipped the write amount of the write product...
fun place to work
Cashier (Current Employee), Davison, MIFebruary 7, 2015
Working at this store was often times fun, but only because of excellent co-workers. Dealing with customers gets old fast and the job because tiresome quickly.
Good place to work.
Driver / Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Santa Ana, CAFebruary 7, 2015
Pros: all the food you can eat.
Cons: not many. great place to, great benefits
Picking up donations from business, sorting and delivering to the four family services offices, that serviced the needed. Taking over for the manager in his absence. I learned there was a lot of people in need. Management was great, showed compassion to me and the people we served. My co-workers most were good people, others did not compassion needed for the job. The hardest part was seeing all the needed people. The most enjoyable was we were trying to help.
Loved the job, felt very appreciated by other staff
Support Supervisor (Former Employee), Denver, COFebruary 7, 2015
Found the job challenging. People were very appreciative of my teams work and my positive attitude. Many compliments on how quickly issues were resolved and the quality of work.
Upper management was out of touch of daily issues and seemed closed minded to new ideas.
My team was great. They all worked hard and did great work. Again not really appreciated by upper management.
Getting upper management to take a closer look at the problems that our local locations were having technically. Hard to get anyone to respond to my requests.
Again the job was fun and all the people I worked with really appreciated my effort.
Amazing place to work
Housing Assistant (Former Employee), Spokane, WAFebruary 6, 2015
Pros: friendly people, helpful, understanding
I very much enjoyed working for salvation army. The people I worked with were amazing and very friendly , they also did everything they could to make me feel at home and comfortable. I learned a lot about the office setting and how to use all different types of office equipment as well as learning to multi-task more then I already knew. I felt very good working someplace where people cared about other people and just about them selfs
A place where you need to be yourself,and learn to trust others.
Clothing Prosessor (Former Employee), Denver, COFebruary 6, 2015
Pros: became a better person, and learned more about who i am.
A very enriching and wholesome place to work. I learned something new everyday about work and about myself. Everybody there seemed to have a very positive attitude about life, and seemed to enjoy being there as much as I did.
Great place to work, Fun people and they care about you.
Life Skills Coordinator (Current Employee), Decatur, ILFebruary 6, 2015
This is a great place to work, a lot of fun. Everyone treats you like family and understands your daily needs and struggles as a human being.
Poor, unprofessional work environment
Center employee (Former Employee), Houston, TexasFebruary 6, 2015
Pros: the poor, unhealthy rehab clients that work 80 hours a week
Cons: poor work environment and no respect for truly good people
The work environment at the Houston (Hemphill) location is poor and unprofessional. The Salvation Army officers do not foster inclusion. In other words, there is a great deal of fighting between those from different ethnic backgrounds ( Hispanics versus African Americans), socioeconomic backgrounds (highly compensated paid Salvation Army officers versus low paid regular employees), loyalists (those that do whatever the Salvation Army officers want done whether ethical or unethical versus those that are by the books), etc.

If you work there and they dislike your personality (Perhaps you are someone that cannot ignore the Salvation Army officers continually taking expensive donated items home for their personal profit), then they will just simply fire you. The reason will be layoff.

Since they "classify" themselves as a "church", then you are NOT ENTITLED TO UNEMPLOYMENT. Churches are not required to pay for unemployment and the Salvation Army does not participate in unemployment. When you are fired, you leave there with nothing. No unemployment. If you live paycheck to paycheck, then good luck in finding a new job as soon as possible. If you are a good person, the Salvation Army doesn't care about you.
Good Place if you love others!
Administrative Assistant/Human Resources (Former Employee), Mountain Home, ARFebruary 5, 2015
Pros: helping others, good pay, benefits
Cons: management, over-working at times.
I wonderful place to work if you have a heart for others and want to make a difference in the lives of the others.

The Management (Corps Officer) at the time of this writing is not a good boss to work for as he demands much and does little.

Co-Workers are fine, you really feel the sense of comradeship feeling like you are a part of something bigger than yourself.
Extremely hard work
Store Cashier (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXFebruary 5, 2015
Pros: easy to gain employment
Cons: no advancement
You work your fingers to the bone at this job. It is easy to get hired but all of the "benefits" are for those going through the rehabilitation program.

Managers are not concerned with you as an "outsider." Very little hope of advancing, but the work is steady.
Scheduled and dispatched for pick up of donations
scheduler (Current Employee), Altoona, PAFebruary 5, 2015
Working with I was in charge of taking donors phone calls, scheduling pick up appointments, and dispatching trucks to pick up donations from personal donors as well as fixed donation boxes. The Salvation Army has been a pleasure to work for.

About The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army is a Christian church known for its thrift stores and charity work. It is an international movement that works – Read more

The Salvation Army Photos