The Salvation Army
2,367 reviews

The Salvation Army Employer Reviews

Really good place to work!!!
Volunteer/Intern (Former Employee), Southfield, MIDecember 30, 2014
Pros: learn so many great things!!!
Cons: nothing
This organization really does what it can to change and uplift the world. By providing services that really change lives, and I was able to witness this. My life was impacted by the drive the employees to go over and beyond.
productive and fun workplace with bells
Bell Ringer (Former Employee), Berlin, NHDecember 30, 2014
Pros: left to own devices
Productive and fun workplace with bells
a day at work was collecting money
I learned how to professionally ring a bell
the management was great
my coworkers were great
there is nothing hard about this job
the most enjoyment I got out of this job was watching all the excited children as Christmas aproached
Did my internship at the Elyria, ohio center. It was a nice experience, but could use some improvement.
Operations Assistant-internship (Former Employee), Elyria, OHDecember 30, 2014
I learned alot, but some improvement is needed. I was expecting more hands on work, but instead didnt get to do much. Too much emphasis was put on my weight, and not where it should have been, I felt the organization was discriminating against me because of non important issues.
Kettle Worker Summary
Kettle Worker (Former Employee), Coatesville, PADecember 29, 2014
Pros: knowing i was helping someone other than myself.
Cons: bitter cold and people assuming i was asking for money when stating "good morning".
Ringing the bell to capture customer attention as I greeted them during the holiday season, to support donations given.

Engaging people as they approached, met children who would bring their parents to me and made work pleasant and worth the agony of enduring the bitter weather of the season.
Pathetic Workplace
Bell Ringer (Former Employee), Logan, WVDecember 29, 2014
Pros: n/a
Cons: the lt. is rude, one 30 min lunch during 10 hr shift
the Salvation Army in Logan, is completely out of line. They are disrespectful to almost all employees , and the Lt. is worthless
Helpful to the Community
VOLUNTEER (Current Employee), Yonkers, NYDecember 29, 2014
Being able to distribute goods to the less fortunate such as food toys etc. Helping in the office with paper work, program youth leader, and fitness instructor during the week.
Very friendly environment especially with greeting the customers
Store Clerk (Former Employee), Newnan, GADecember 28, 2014
Pros: employee discounts.
Cons: long hours
We were a family here. Everyone watched out for everyone and we built strong friendships. The customers that were regulars formed bonds with us that made going to work enjoyable.
It was nice seeing people i knew.
Bellringer (Former Employee), Bakersfield, CADecember 27, 2014
Pros: there were breaks at 12 and 4 for 15 minutes and a half hour lunch at two.
Cons: it only lasted a little over month
A typical day at work would be standing from 10 am to 630 pm in front of a store and ringing a bell. I would greet the people who came and tell the people leaving to have a nice day. It was a very easy job for me but a lot of people apparently didn't last.
very good organization
Group Home Supervisor (Former Employee), New York, NYDecember 22, 2014
productive and good organization to wok for. I learned the important of listening and establishing a good and healthyrelationship with those you are helping.
Great Experience
SUMMER DAY CAMP ASST. LEAD; SOCIAL SERVICES REP (Former Employee), Lodi, CaDecember 22, 2014
Working with The Salvation Army is great because its great security and reliability
great work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee), vancouver,waDecember 22, 2014
Pros: in my area, great co-workers, loving customers
Cons: late breaks, write ups for nothing, and too much stress
the salvation army was my first job. I worked there for 9 months because it was a wonderful work place. great employees and the management was very helpful when training it's employees. after I got hired for part time work I leaned how to work the cash register and help close the tills after hours. my co-workers became a second family to me we we're a great team. the hardest part of my job was when the store closed. the most enjoyable part was getting to work with a lot of great people in great community.
Non productive
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Charlotte, NCDecember 21, 2014
Pros: good benifits
Cons: unskilled managerw
Employment is for those who are called to do this type of work. Very little opportunity for advancement and job creation.
Salvation Army
Camp Councilor/ Christmas Help (Former Employee), Grand Haven MIDecember 21, 2014
I felt like I made a difference in the kids life and I cared very much for the staff. We were like a mini family over the summer.
running the store
Lead Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), caDecember 21, 2014
opening and closing the store doing bank runs and setting the work schelude
Very stern, safety first environment.
Supervisor / Manager Trainee (Former Employee), Detroit, MIDecember 18, 2014
very fast pace, loading and unloading trucks.
I learned to operate the Commercial compactor, the Bailing machine, to Count inventory,Sort product, Dispatch trucks, Take store orders, Log time of orders.
Managing and working with other, I found it to be okay as long as I kept my attitude in check.
The most enjoyable part was the fact that I was really work for God!
Fun way to provide for people in my community
Volunteer (Former Employee), San Francisco, CADecember 18, 2014
Pros: service
Help serve food and beverages to people in need of nourishment. Clean dishes and dinning areas. Learn to work as a team to provide the best help possible to others being served.
great job
Counselor/Intern (Current Employee), winston salemDecember 18, 2014
help kids with homework also was in charger with handling paper work an answer phone calls
fun work place
warehouse worker (Former Employee), Houston, TXDecember 18, 2014
this was a job where i learned to help others and be able to give back to the people who needs the help.
Productive Place
Voulenteer (Former Employee), Bristol, CTDecember 17, 2014
Everyday you cook food and put them out and serve the people at a certain time then after you clean all the dishes and set up for the bread and food pantry give out. Its a very good thing to do.
outside work
bellringer (Former Employee), Oakbrook Terrace, ILDecember 17, 2014
standing outside for long periods ,getting donations for the less furtunate , the most enjoyable part of the day the customers that were surprised how long i could stand outside , also was a friendly work enviroment

About The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army is a Christian church known for its thrift stores and charity work. It is an international movement that works – Read more

The Salvation Army Photos