The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

Found 2,617 reviews matching the search
productive with a cost.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Glendale, CAJanuary 5, 2016
its basically a cleaning job. The district manager makes a lot of broken promises when hiring just to keep you wanting to work for this company. Company hire people that aren't fit for the job. Theres no advancement. The company keeps the part-timers way under part-time. The company makes their employers take a 45 minute lunch. If you're a shift lead and put in your time for a vacation, they always deny it because of being short handed. The only positive thing about working for this company are the few customers that are friendly and my co-workers for being strong for one another. Constant battle of employees vs. customers.
Pros
team that helps each other out.
Cons
customers are very disrespectful towards the employees, store is always trashed due to customers not picking up after themselves, company hires people that aren't fit for the job, broken promises.
Small staff with very friendly managers
Emergency Assistance Worker (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILJanuary 5, 2016
Day begins with seeing clients for emergency assistance, usually five clients a day for a total of 20 clients a week. The afternoon usually consists of record keeping and data management. I have learned hoe to become very professional with clients as well as with other professionals within the community. The hardest part of the job is not being able to help everyone with all of their needs as much as I would like to. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the gratitude and hope that is given to a client when we are able to assist them.
great place to work
Pricing/Sales Associate-I (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJanuary 4, 2016
a normal day was me pricing the item for sale and helping in every part of the store i learned how to pick out the hi end cloths and how to price them to sale
Pros
had my work area
Cons
couldnt get over time
amazing place to work/volunteer
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Salisbury, MDJanuary 4, 2016
I would come afterschool and wait for the children to come and start homework, and then let them play for a while then start to prepare their lunch. After lunch I would join them in whatever they are doing. I loved everything about the salvation army because I love to work with others
Pros
free time
Cons
no cons
people i work with were cool adminiustration sucks
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 4, 2016
they claim competitive wages then give you minimum wage....competitive for who us or them?...obviously them. no advancements and ive seen them fire long time employees of 20 years for no reason besides they wanted to save money....dirt bag , greedy administration
Pros
free lunch
Cons
the boss expects everybody to treat her like the queen and pay sucks
I would have stayed but was forced out
Centralized Accounting Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  Portland, MaineJanuary 4, 2016
I was so excited to get the job as a centralized accounting bookkeeper. I had been downsized out of my 12 3/4 years job. I started out getting trained by my supervisor, but he soon left me on my own. I did the every day work but had questions when they arose. I thought I was doing great but my supervisor brought me into two meetings to pressure me and after only two months of training he forced me out during a third meeting. I was devastated.
Pros
I had plenty of paperwork to do and I like that
Cons
I had a supervisor who made me feel nervous every day, instead of giving me a chance to learn
Very good company to work for.
Bell Ringer (Former Employee) –  Ocala, FLJanuary 4, 2016
The salvation army is a good company to work for because it helps people the can not provide for their family's. It is not a lot of hours but it can help during Christmas.
Enjoyed communicating with the people
SOLICTING DONATIONS (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILJanuary 4, 2016
Employers stated my skill set was superior, I was always timely, and my professionalism was second to none. Employer stated i was easy to work with.
Pros
Communication skills
Cons
Inclimate weather
An excellent place to wprk
Bell Ringer (Former Employee) –  Hemet, CAJanuary 4, 2016
I enjoyed working for the Salvation Army because they are very supportive. The staff helped with the paperwork and made sure my time sheets and kettle were ready for me on time. The staff was very pleasant and helpful. It was a nice job for the holidays. I would do it again anytime.
The facility was like being a part of a family group
Substance Abuse Counselor Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 3, 2016
The experience of interning at Salvation Army ARC was incredibly fulfilling in the sense that I was able to put into effect the practical applications of my training in the field of counseling.
Pros
They have pretty good food there for free.
Cons
unpaid internship
I like working for the Salvation Army
Salvation Army (Former Employee) –  Wakefield, MAJanuary 3, 2016
I still temporary working for the Salvation Army.I help the poor people for the toys that the parents count afford them at christmas.
Wonderful Job Experience
SEASONAL SOCIAL SERVICES SUPPORT (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VADecember 30, 2015
I love working here. The days can sometimes be long but everything we do for each client is worth our time and effort. Working with the Angel tree program this year especially was fun. Seeing the gratefulness in the faces of families who received toys for their children made all the hard long days worth it.
Pros
Laid Back, Easygoing, Always Busy
Productive and helpful work enviroment.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Douglas, GADecember 29, 2015
The Salvation Army was a very respectful place to work, I loved the idea of helping families that were in need, most of them with children. Working there was very inspiring, never did they turn away anyone in need of help. That job taught me to not judge anyone because you never know what they have been through.
Pros
Met a lot of interesting people. Was involed in helping families in need.
Cons
Short breaks.
productive and fun work place emphasizing safety
shipping clerk (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CADecember 28, 2015
a typical day at work involved loading and unloading trucks.contacting carrier representatives to make arrangements or to issue instructions for shipping and delivery of materials
Pros
free lunch, coffee and donuts at breaktime
Cons
a little stressful at times to meet deadlines
review
clerk (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXDecember 28, 2015
good place to work, staff needs better compensation, need more staff, take better care of non employees than employees, do great work for the community
Pros
staff
Cons
compensation
I loved the work and the people I came in contact with on a daily basis!
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Sturgis, MIDecember 26, 2015
It was a fun job, and I enjoyed helping people. I also liked that each day was different and each day was a new day to be blessed and be a blessing!
Pros
My Coworkers, flexible schedule
Cons
very short breaks or no breaks
Fun/outgoing work place
Bell Ringer (Former Employee) –  Sterling, ILDecember 23, 2015
*get to choose morning or night shift
*work in public
*Dress accordingly to weather
*Not hard to do
* Helping people in our Community
GREAT company
CAPTAIN / CORPS OFFICER (Former Employee) –  FloridaDecember 22, 2015
I learned several things that will greatly help me in my future career. A great environment, very flexible hours, GREAT health insurance, I really LOVE this organization they are THE BEST!!!!
Pros
The best!!!!
Cons
N/A
Could be a great workplace if they would get a better managenet department
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Hickory, NCDecember 22, 2015
Go out and pick up daily pick ups assigned for the store of the days services. I have got to meet some really nice people and see a lot of interesting things and places. Although the job is over seen by some very poor management I make the best of it and for the most part enjoy the job.
Pros
seeing different parts of the state
Cons
deailing with un clean and somrtimes un sanitary donations
nice workplace
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIDecember 22, 2015
Being able to work with the children for the summer day camp and the after school program had to be the best. The parents could get rude at times but the joy from the children made up for it.