The Salvation Army
2,663 reviews

The Salvation Army United States Employee Reviews

love this place
Bell Ringer (Former Employee), Yuma, AZMarch 30, 2015
i loved working with the salvation army i loved doing good for the community and the people who run the salvation army here in yuma are amazing.
Very good place to work/good people
Truck Driver (Former Employee), Bend, ORMarch 30, 2015
Pros: flexable hours if needed, Steady raises
Cons: Long road trips, frequent layoffs
Great place to work,fun people,and good tools.The vehicles were always maintained. They are very flexable if you need time off,and they gave steady raises.
Excellent and enjoyable work place, always challenging.
Asst. Resident Manager (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZMarch 30, 2015
Pros: Ability to have access to a Chapel and great TEAM!
Cons: N/A
Salvation Army is an Excellent place to work and a Great Christian Organization. You could not ask for a better team to work with or for better more concerned supervisors. I enjoy my position with the Salvation Army.
Rewarding Experience
Director (Current Employee), Hudson, NYMarch 30, 2015
Pros: Meeting amazing people
Every day is different and allows for a rewarding community experience. The generosity of volunteers and individuals is constantly surprising as to how much support is available to those in need.
good
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee), Hatfield, PAMarch 29, 2015
friendly people good selection of clothing. good service good work hours good pay easy work also they get tons of business.
Fast Paced and fun
Cashier/Clerk (Former Employee), New York, NYMarch 29, 2015
Salvation Army is an entry level position and doesn't pay enough money at the lower level for you to survive. Furthermore They are very helpful if your looking to work and have a steady income
Great Co-workers
Customer Service sales associate (Current Employee), Hillsboro, ORMarch 27, 2015
excellent company I love my work environment, i know customers by name, busy work days lots of new merchandise daily, never a boring job
Thrift Store with good customer service skills
Handler, Merchandiser, and Cashier (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 27, 2015
I had work Tuesday,Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday. Sometimes Sunday with 29 hours a week. My minimum wage was 8.25 and my jobs was backroom, merchandiser, and cashier. The hardest job was put up with bad attitude from supervisors and the managers. The service was poor it need more training employees and less rules.
Nice place to work and see how they help the people in need.
Volunteer (Current Employee), Meriden, CTMarch 27, 2015
Pros: You meet all kinds of people and see the needs and they have what it takes to help them.
Cons: As for salary, well it non profit so it fits.
I like to work in a place that I can help people. The salvation army has the resources to help people in need. They also help those that need employment. The Shelter is close by and they have a soup kitchen that also helps the people.
A great Experience
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Chester, PAMarch 27, 2015
Assisting residents in the Delaware Valley/Chester section of Pennsylvania with Supervision in the shelter of the Salvation Army.
Co-workers were wondering and helping along the way and very supportive. The most enjoyable aspect of the job was working with people from all walks of life to better themselves.
Fun workplace with a noble cause
Volunteer Work (Current Employee), Killeen, TXMarch 26, 2015
I'm usually in the warehouse, sorting goods to be brought out to the pricing table. I also take in donations and occasionally write out receipts for their donated items. I also help move furniture, sterilize said furniture and help the employees there whenever they request it. The management are genuinely good people who care about helping those that can't help themselves. The other employees/ fellow volunteers are also nice and more than willing to help others out. The hardest part of the job for me is trying to maneuver large pieces of furniture through the small doors into/out of the store. The most enjoyable part for me is going through the donated items; it's always interesting to me to see the different things that come through the warehouse.
Productiive and fun workplace
Warehouse Clothing price tagger and hanger (Current Employee), Tampa, FLMarch 26, 2015
Pros: Free lunches
At the Salvation Army people of all different cultural background work together to complete numerous task that affect the world and the surrounding community. Here at the Salvation Army we are as they say "Doing the most good".
A good place to work where you felt you were assisting those in need
Store Manager (Former Employee), Syracuse, NYMarch 26, 2015
Customer service, merchandising, stocking, payroll, scheduling and supervision of 20-21 employees. We had sales daily, huge anniversary sale once a year that was intense. The most enjoyable part of the job were the customers that you got to know on a personal level and the employees were like family.
Great to work here and feel good about helping people.
Store Manager (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALMarch 25, 2015
Pros: sick time and personal time start after 6 months.
Cons: low pay
Each day consisted of receiving 3 trucks, and maintaining clothing racks. We had lots of regular customers which made it all worth while.
Provided a good start for me from college, I learned a lot of skills from the position.
Accountant (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INMarch 25, 2015
Pros: Friendly atmosphere and good benefits.
Cons: No room for growth.
A typical day at work, I check my emails first thing in the morning, process accounts payables then print checks. I post cash receipts and update general ledger accounts. On the last week of the month, I write and post month end journal entries and review fixed assets schedule. I do bank reconciliations and close the prior month by the 10th of the month. Before sending out financial reports, I do a budget variance analysis and compile a report.

The management is good because my supervisor does not micromanage me. I get along with everyone that I work with and that says a lot since most of my coworkers are ladies.

I have learned that time management is very important. I have learned everything I know from my supervisor. She is an excellent teacher.
it was a place where homeless could lay there heads.
Temp Intake Worker (Former Employee), Tucson, AZMarch 25, 2015
I enjoyed helping all the families that needed shelter, and making sure they had all the outreach info they needed. but it was one of the hardest places I've ever worked cause it was hard to see so may people need help and not enough resources.
Great Place To Volunteer, Or To Even Work.
Bell Ringer (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLMarch 25, 2015
Pros: Free laughs And Smiles.
Cons: None.
My Day at Salvation Army Was Tremendous, I Enjoyed Ever Bit Of My Time There, I Meet A Lot Of Great Employers And the Supervisor Always Made Time For Fun In The Work Area, He Would Do Pranks Every Now In Then or Tell A Few Jokes, But It Wasn't Offensive To Others, It Always Put A Smile On People Faces, To See A Boss Not Always Strict, Makes The Environment More Easier I'll Say. He Cooked For Us At The End Of Our Bell Ringer Season, Him And His Wife. There Was No Hard Part Of This Job, To Stand And Ring Bells For The Homeless Who Are In Need, Puts A Smile In my Heart, It Always Made My Day.
Faith based organization
Receptionist / Human Resource Clerk (Current Employee), Tulsa, OKMarch 25, 2015
Pros: free lunch
The Salvation Army is a great company to work for if you love people and interacting with them. You truly see the kind nature of others while working in this environment. The hardest part of this job is not being able to help those whom may really be in need due to their lack of follow through. The best part of the job is seeing those whom you could help and encourage.
It was a fun and simple job to achieve.
Greeter/Customer Service (Former Employee), Newport News, VAMarch 25, 2015
Pros: Free Breakfast Snacks, Coffee, 3 15 minute breaks.
It is a very good job for a very good pay. If i could re-apply for this position i will. The management was very good as well.
It seemed long to ring that bell all those hours.
Kettle Worker (Former Employee), Kearny, NJMarch 25, 2015
Pros: It gave money to a good cause.
Cons: It was cold standing outside.
It was cold standing outside and my feet got sore standing all those hours but I was cheerful throughout my job. I found out that some people are very generous: some people gave $20,

About The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army is a Christian church known for its thrift stores and charity work. It is an international movement that works – Read more

The Salvation Army Salaries

Assistant Manager
$9.16 per hour

The Salvation Army Photos

Captain Kettle---Holiday Parade
This is why I worked there
feeding others