The Salvation Army Employee Reviews in United States

Found 2,886 reviews matching the search
People are great
HR & Property Management Assistant (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 13, 2016
I loved everyone at headquarters. They were fantastic group of people always willing to give a hand. Management's open door policy allows anyone to feel comfortable coming in with questions or problems, or just feedback.
Pros
Free coffee and tea and soups, flexible scheduling
Cons
1/2 lunches
My day at the office
Senior Center Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMarch 29, 2016
A day at the Salvation Army Warr Acres Senior Center is very active. My day includes setting up activities for senior citizen participants to partake in throughout the day to keep them active both mentally and physically. Helping those in need locate necessary resources and how to communicate their needs to their nurses and doctors. I am also responsible for connecting with other community agencies to provide resources and information for the senior population. I usually end my day collecting data and completing reports and finally researching grants and locating funding sources.
Pros
Ability to structure the program and activities to fit the need of the participants
Cons
Dealing with multiple personalities, sometimes not knowing if it is early signs of dementia
Great atmosphere among office associates, every day is an opportunity to help someone/families, and look for more ways to uphold our mission.
Administrative Assistant to Officer in charge (Current Employee) –  Evanston, ILJune 1, 2016
I am always the first employee in the building. It is my responsibility to startup and double check that everything is running correctly. I am also the first face to greet whom ever, be it a client or associate from another location.

It is my pleasure and goal to help and answer any questions to the best of my ability.

Typically I could service a client for food pantry, assist in inquiries in applying for emergency assistance, Shelter searches. assist with applications for daycare action, our summer camps, after school enrollment. Clean and set up for any special event we may have scheduled.
I believe the hardest part of the job is when a customer may need more help but I am not able to assist them out in the world (meaning accompany or make the calls for them).

The most enjoyable part is when they are eligible for our assistance or I have found a resource that will work to there benefit.
a none stressful enviroment
Senior Citizen Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 9, 2016
Productive and lots of interaction with seniors
presentation provided by health care providers, such as Triad Oklahoma Law Enforcement,

Management of kitchen staff -

Co-workers - as supervisor I found that they were very cooperative, and often told me that they enjoyed working with me and hoped that I would continue working there for a long time.

Having to deal with the death of one of the seniors

Learning along with the seniors new crafts, quilt making for the disadvantage people who came to the center for financial and food assistance.
Pros
Free breakfast and lunches
Cons
the death of some of the seniors
very good stable company
Lead Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 23, 2016
I enjoyed working for the Salvation Army NW Headquarters NW Division. We helped so many people in need of food, energy assistance, and homes. The staff was professional and the leadership was superb.

I supervised 6 accounting clerks and assisted the accounting manager with special projects on a daily basis.

I was called upon to shift of my task and priorities on a daily basis. I enjoyed helping the Salvation Army Corps officers meet their goals through our communication, and our staff completing our individual Corps AP assignments.

I would gladly dedicate myself to such a company in the future.
Pros
flexible work assignments
Bell Ringer
Bell Ringer (Former Employee) –  East Chicago, INDecember 11, 2015
Motivated,dedicated, focused, and a team player. Ringing the bell to raise monies for different programs for the Salvation Army and to help people in need of financial assistant.
Pros
Motivation
Cons
cashier stocking shelfs unloading trucks
Cashier- truck unloader (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 9, 2016
i leard how to opereta a cashier unload trucks in a fast and safe paste, management and employees and customers loves me, the most enjoyable part of this job is working with great managment and employees everybody loved the way i worked and speak to customers
Pros
lunch break
Cons
short breaks
Friendly and hard working staff and volunteers
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Jamestown, NDDecember 12, 2015
I assisted in the overall success of running the Jamestown Salvation Army. My duties included putting up new displays, running the cash register, monitor change and cash on hand, and processing clothing and other items donated on a daily basis. The management was ok but rarely made visits to the store to see how we were doing. I do not know of anything that was difficult as I loved every aspect of the job. It was very humbling to see how much some of volunteers donate to the store to make sure it can make money for the poor.
Pros
Working with the volunteers
Cons
Pay
A great place to work as a team member and helping others!
Family Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Pierce, FLJune 14, 2016
I love my job. It has helped me to help others. It has taught me how to listen to people and to help solve problems. Management has been very helpful in helping me to succeed! The hardest part of my job is when I have to turn people away and cannot provide any assistance. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with a great team and having their support in the decisions I have to make. We have a lot of fun staff days and different promotions!
Pros
Staff outings great break area, wonderful fellowship, family like place to work.
Productive and Fast paced
Volunteer Special Event Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Austin, MNNovember 14, 2015
Every day is very diverse in what kind of people we might be dealing with. Management is good at delegating all tasks. Co workers are awesome and it is fun to go to work daily to see what can be accomplished.
Pros
Healthcare Benefits
Cons
Can be very stressful
Overall a good company to work for
Residential Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 1, 2015
I assisted homeless women with personal, medical, and resource and referrals daily. I learned a lot about P.T.S.D and the long term effects. The management here is very supportive and provided essential continuing education. The hardest part of the job is balancing work with home life, not taking the job home with me so to speak. The most rewarding part of my job is providing services to all the clients. I am passionate about service work.
Pros
It is a good stable company providing great services to those in need.
Cons
The base pay and ability to move up in the company is limited.
Productive challenging rewarding
Building Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJJanuary 20, 2016
First thing meeting with manager talk over days schedule get work orders put in order talk with warehouse supervisor about repairs needed hardest part of job was maneuvering 300-pound cart to makeroom to get to machinery and Baylor most enjoyable was the challenges and the problem solving of the building maintenance repairs.
Pros
Love the free lunch
Cons
Healthcare and Benefits
productive
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Corsicana, TXMarch 28, 2016
the bosses were selfish and didn't like to help the customers that went in for help. the coworkers were very nice and were great team members.
Pros
learned new things
Cons
now growth in the company or benefits
Safe and good environment
Senior Counselor (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIFebruary 6, 2016
A typical day yielded anywhere between 20 and 30 kids. We would have an opening and play a game, we had 2 snacks during the day; there was a large portion of the day where the children would practice for a talent show at the end of the summer. The management was spectacular, I loved working there. From this job, I learned what's necessary to take care of a child.
Great atmosphere
Youth Leader (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAMarch 3, 2016
The Salvation Army Red Shield Community Center is a great job opportunity. I always enjoyed going to work. It was at times stressful, but altogether rewarding. There are great supervisors that care deeply about your future and the overall result of the kids at the community center.

On a typical day at work I would respond and write e-mails, plan quarterly calendars for multiple youth programs, pray over the youth, prep lessons and events for the week, create any posters or flyers if needed, when the youth arrived I would communicate with them by doing activities they like(games, homework, drawing, crafts or talking). I keep the kids accountable for their actions and grades at school and overall maintain a healthy relationship with them as their Youth Leader, each day was always different.
Pros
Seeingthe growth of the youth
Cons
Stress about the well being of the Youth
Nice Place,Enjoyed Serving People,and had pop machine
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHApril 28, 2016
I set up tables to place the food on,rolled food carts from the stockroom in the back,and served people.Checked food carts if they were full and if not go to storage room and restock food carts.Cleaned tables,storage room,and checked food in storage room to see what else was needed for people so if any items were low they would be ordered and delievered on Mondays. I had a co volunteer and would take turns serving people and we would do this every Monday,Tuesday,and Wendsday.
Pros
Allowed to take foods home after serving people
Cons
8:00am to 11:00pm
Productive and very interactive
Kettle Worker (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAMarch 19, 2016
talked to a lot of people, my co-workers were very friendly, management was great and friendly, the hardest part was standing on my feet all day and smiling no matter what happens
Pros
Free lunches
Good stepping stone for experience and basic knowledge
Solicitor/ Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Waukegan, ILApril 2, 2016
Overall management focus does not allow the success I envision, but departmental supervisor was very encouraging and willing to give knowledge and direction.
productive working place for all people of life
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 25, 2016
cleaning store putting objects and items where they need to be, stocking shelves with objects and items to be purchased, helping elderly customers and customers that need help to their car with their purchased items, the staff was pretty cool and very mature.Unloading the truck with new shipments for the store was kinda hard but i managed to get the job done all the time. Seeing the smiles on the customers face after helping load their merchandise in their car was priceless.
Pros
1hr lunch breaks
Cons
short breaks
Salvation Army
Clothes Processor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 7, 2015
I am pretty sure that most stores offer better services. The Salvation Army thrift store on 90th and Harlem is completely unprofessional. I didn't know my job title for the first two weeks. The management doesn't take the time to learn the new employees' names. The schedules were dictated and could change any week. Most of the employees are Hispanics that barely speak any English.The work was pretty simple. A typical day at work consisted of sorting the clothes, cleaning and organizing the shelves, and cleaning the store after closing time. The hardest part of the job is sorting through the donated clothes because you never know what's going to come out of those bags.
Cons
short breaks, language, unprofessional