The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

Found 3,345 reviews matching the search
Fun Place to work
Youth Evangelism & Outreach Director (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDJanuary 24, 2017
It was a great experience. I was able to work with families, children and seniors. I was able to plan and organize programs and events. Hours were flexible based on program needs.
Pros
Lots of oppertunity to develope puplic relations skills
Cons
To many turn overs within organization
Very rewarding position
Social Service Coordinator Baldwin County (Former Employee) –  Foley, ALFebruary 8, 2017
Working with people and helping them with food, counselling, shelter, and the resources they need made this job exciting and most rewarding. I was sadden by the fact my office and position was the subject of reduction of work force in Baldwin County Alabama.
working angle tree in 2013 to 2014
Assistant of Angel Tree and clean (Former Employee) –  Winter Haven, FLSeptember 28, 2016
my days here where not typical because this is a seasonal job. i came in and started off hellping set up the staging area and then cleaning other areas for the church. i have learned how to be more ornigaized and that there are very loving and caring people out there.
mangement was great they gave me my duties and i did what i was told and got it done. i worked great with my coworkers and hardest thing there was nothing . most enjoyable thng was who i worked with and the people we helped
vary motivated, make sure everybody gets the help they need,
Bell Ringer (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILFebruary 5, 2017
Vary cold doing bell ringing but had alot of fun being able to talk to new people and showing people im tougher then they think. I love being apart of salvation army and being one of many bell ringers.
Pros
can warm up as much as you wanted
Cons
being cold the whole time
horrible experience
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 2, 2016
I was hired to be the store manager but was not allowed to ACTUALLY manage. I was micromanaged by my boss and his wife (who actually isn't at all responsible for any aspect of the store).
I was semi-regularly mentally attacked by my superiors. They were total bullies.They picked on me so much I began regularly having anxiety attacks at work and eventually resigned.
It was difficult to perform my job while I was there because of that and because they provide absolutely NO training,no literature, no nothing that teaches you about how to perform your job.
They also use a very antiquated register system which was occasionally pretty frustrating to deal with sometimes.

For a Christian-based organization, this company acts less than holy towards its employees.
Pros
paycheck, free meals at work
Cons
insubordinate staff, understaffed, bullying, overworked
not good
Warehouse Foreman (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NESeptember 26, 2016
Your setup for failure always Do not make a single mistake its a hoax to turn and butn people for employment you wont get your benefits and it is so micro managed you wont be able to do the job your hired for . They will question everything and not trust you for a minute its a scam to take government money using the people in the program for work therapy not actually caring about the rehabilitation recovery very few graduate
Pros
non
Cons
everything
I support their Christian Mission!!! I am blessed to be a part of it!!
Cahier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Fairless Hills, PANovember 26, 2016
I really enjoy my positon always being productive. I also like seeing the customers getting great bargains for their buck. The customers also saying what great prices we have compaired to other Thrift stores in our area helps to no that. Our customers always leave with some item or piece of clothing they never leave empty handed. I love the customer service part of the job helping customers with my.opinions and my knowledge of products we sell in the store. I take pride in my job so if the store gets to be untidy I make sure I tend to the apperance right away. The job for me is like my second home so we need to take care of our store as such. Our professional and friendly Management staff is very dedicated to employees and customers always.
Pros
Being proud to be a.part of our Mission and grateful for the job opprutunity.
Cons
Only part time hours
Very good first job experience
Maintenance/Custodian/Landscaping (Former Employee) –  Barberton, OHDecember 7, 2016
First ever summer job. Wasn't volunteered it was on payroll. Taught me a lot of guidance and how to work in an environment such as one at Salvation Army. I learned a lot of skills and advanced into becoming a great worker
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Only lasted a few months. Was a great job
Fun yet challenging
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Midlothian, TXFebruary 23, 2017
I loved working here for the summer, though the people in charge can be challenging sometimes, communication was a bit of an issue when I was there. However, helping and spending time with the kids who attend the camp is a blast.
Pros
Bed, Food and Fun
Cons
Long work weeks (Monday-Saturday) 24hrs a day
Great company
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Killeen, TXNovember 16, 2016
I love volunteering and helping my community. This company assist members in the community by giving back, providing clothing and assistance to those that need it. They have food banks and will assist by paying utility bills. Our community is so important and they are front runners in the efforts of assisting people in need.
Fun workplace
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Gary, INJanuary 16, 2017
Tutor kids for the next grade they were going too. I learned that children can be fun. The management was very organized, and a pleasure to work for. The hardest part of the job was keeping the kids focused on their work. I overcame it by preparing before the children came.
Pros
Helping the children
Cons
Leaving
free food.
lead groundskeepter (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXJanuary 13, 2017
i liked working for this company it gave me the opportunity to be a supervisor. even tho at first i was a bit scared of the responsibility management was great in encouraging me to try my best. and i thank the salvation army for that.
Pros
free food
Cons
long hours during angel tree and kettle season.
It is a fun and easy job, and I am in complete support of what they stand for, but advancement opportunities are few and would probably take a while.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAFebruary 16, 2017
A typical day at work would involve stocking and cleaning the store, determining what items ( typically different types of apparel) we need more of and assisting customers with carrying out heavy items, typically furniture. I've learned more about hands on customer service. The management is friendly, but they have definite expectations about how you present yourself, and that you stay continually productive. The workplace culture is definitely up-beat but advancement opportunities seem slow in coming. The hardest part of the job is taking out heavier furniture items. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting and helping people.
Pros
I can eat for free at the adult rehabilitation center across the street, provided my meal time coincides with when they are serving.
Cons
not full time, no benefits.
Salvation Army is a great organization, doing the Lord's work.
Bell Ringer (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAFebruary 15, 2017
I enjoyed being a Bell Ringer for Salvation Army, although I only did it for one season. The Salvation Army helps so many people and I loved being able to help with fund raising, even though it was for a short time.
Pros
A break anytime I needed it
Cons
No cons
Busy but fun atmosphere
Cashier/Customer Service/stocker (Former Employee) –  Moore, OKNovember 26, 2016
Working with people and helping them to aquire items they need for daily living and making it possible to buy for others.I love that they contribute to charities and help troubled people to regain thier life.
Cons
no room for advancement, no healthcare, long periods between raises
Horrible workplace there are bugs and rats in the building
Electronics Associate (Former Employee) –  Taylor, MINovember 15, 2016
Very nasty management is very rude they treat their employees horrible they don't appreciate nothing that then please do it not a good work place just horrible there are rats and mouse and bugs in the building but they dont want anyone to know anything
Cons
cashier, clerk, receptionist, bookkeeping.
REHABILITATION CENTER AND ACCOUNTING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Waukegan, IL 60085February 10, 2017
cashier, receptionist, bookkeeping, store reports, daily reports, invoice, bill payments, customer service. the most enjoyable part of the job it was visiting the stores to make sure everything was working the right way.
Very nice place to work
Bell Ringer (Former Employee) –  Bessemer, ALSeptember 17, 2016
Great people interesting places to positioned the people you meet and the work you do is greatly appreciated. The atmosphere is depending on the location you're dropped at but the many people you meet and the fact that you know that you're helping someone in need makes you feel great working here as long as you don't mind working on your feet for 8-10 hours a day and ringing a bell that you'll hear when you go to sleep.
Pros
worker appreciation
Cons
Weather climate
Overall great place to work
Emergency Social Services Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MO 65801December 24, 2016
My time with TSA was great. Excellent super visor and lovely co workers. TSA does so much good in our town it was an amazing experience getting to be a part of that.
Pros
Great co workers, lunch, excellent insurance benefits
Cons
short breaks, some micro managing
the job was for the most part easy .. it eventually becomes monotnous
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bath, NYSeptember 20, 2016
working st salvation army , i learned how to run cash registers and run store clothes and supplies . the hardest part of the job was dealing with unruly customers and business politics . the enjoyable part of the job was browsing for select items while working. the worst part was getting wrapped up in poor management
Pros
browsing
Cons
politics and poor management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Salvation Army. Our community is ready to answer.

81%