The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army United States Employee Reviews

Faith based organization
Receptionist / Human Resource Clerk (Current Employee), Tulsa, OKMarch 25, 2015
Pros: free lunch
The Salvation Army is a great company to work for if you love people and interacting with them. You truly see the kind nature of others while working in this environment. The hardest part of this job is not being able to help those whom may really be in need due to their lack of follow through. The best part of the job is seeing those whom you could help and encourage.
It was a fun and simple job to achieve.
Greeter/Customer Service (Former Employee), Newport News, VAMarch 25, 2015
Pros: Free Breakfast Snacks, Coffee, 3 15 minute breaks.
It is a very good job for a very good pay. If i could re-apply for this position i will. The management was very good as well.
It seemed long to ring that bell all those hours.
Kettle Worker (Former Employee), Kearny, NJMarch 25, 2015
Pros: It gave money to a good cause.
Cons: It was cold standing outside.
It was cold standing outside and my feet got sore standing all those hours but I was cheerful throughout my job. I found out that some people are very generous: some people gave $20,
Salvation Army Work Day
Donation Collector (Former Employee), Chester, PAMarch 25, 2015
Pros: employment, good cause, management.
Cons: battering work with minimum pay
Collectors were to report to The Salvation Army church at 8:30 and be signed in with location slip in head awaiting work day and location briefing. After the briefing, drop you location slip into The Salvation Army official collection bucket and load onto work vans and await transport. Once the driver arrives at a set up spot, collector gets out, unloads Salvation Army stand and sign along with collection bucket, sets up (if assistance is needed, another collector will get out and help his fellow co-worker) and begins to ring their bell and uses any acceptable method they can to catch peoples attention to entice shoppers to donate to the Salvation Army. Collectors can not badger shoppers, walk around with collection bucket, use hands to stuff money into bucket, pocket donations or money offered by kind shoppers who want to give collectors something for themselves. Must use an object to push money into bucket such as a pencil, pen, paint mixing stick, ruler etc.Some lessons I learned while working at this job was that going outside the realm of other collectors with methods for bringing in shoppers has a big impact on the over all outcome. though you can't really call the shoppers customers, it's like customer service; you make a shopper smile, laugh or entertain them with dancing, singing or dressing up, seven times out of ten you'll get a donation. This applies to any workplace that deals with people; give the customer a happy, fun and re-memorable experience, eight times out of ten that customer will come back.The management at The Salvation Army was good to work with. Kind, – more... respectful, professional but above all held the workers to the standards that have been set. The co-workers for the most part were fun to work with, but just like in any other job, you have those certain co-workers that don't go above and beyond let alone fulfill basic requirements for the job- ringing the bell, greeting shoppers, being respectful to those who do not wish to donate, standing while at your post unless ordered by a doctor to use a chair due to medical condition, must be wearing Salvation Army apron while at collection post, when going on a break collector must down Salvation Army sign and bucket and take bucket to co-worker that is still on the clock to hold while you are one break, if smoking, collector must remove apron and stand ten feet away from post. They made the Salvation Army look bad, so management dealt with those workers with 2 warnings then termination. In my opinion, the hardest part of the job was standing for hours on end in the snow and below freezing weather, but as long as you bundled up you'd be good. what made it a little more stressful was standing out in the rain, snow, ice and/or freezing rain for hours getting paid $7.25 per hour. The most enjoyable part of the job was entertaining the shoppers with music, singing, dancing, dressing up and joking around with them. Putting smiles on peoples faces is one of my most sacred joys, along with doing something that would impact the community is a big way. – less
What a shelter monitor does
Shelter Monitor (Current Employee), Seattle, WAMarch 23, 2015
We line up clients to bring into the shelter. First if they were here the night before, then the ones that missed a night or more then the ones that are new. With the new clients we process them into our system by doing several forms of information on them and give them a blanket and a plastic bag ,to place the blanket into in the morning, and give them a mat to sleep on. In the morning, we wake them up, pick up the mats, sweep up the floor and clean up the bathrooms before we leave for the day.
Double standardized working environment
Bell Ringer (Former Employee), Gary, INMarch 23, 2015
Pros: nothing
Cons: poor treatment by management; temporary employment
Every day, I typically worked in the shadow of the day shift.
I learned how to have a positive attitude.
Management was unfair to our evening shift.
My coworkers would complain about the unfair treatment of the evening shift.
Coming to work every day was the hardest part of my job.
Nothing was enjoyable about this job.
a hard place to work
sorting room attendant (Former Employee), Akron, OHMarch 23, 2015
Pros: good people
Cons: short break times
a hard days work for a good days pay and although it was at times a challenge it taught me a lot about teamwork.i do not regret it at all.
PART TIME
Store Clerk (Former Employee), New York, NYMarch 23, 2015
Pros: free lunch
Cons: minimun waige
I LEARN TO WORK AS A CLERK AND ORGANIZED STOCKS, ALSO THERE WAS A LOT OF TEAM WORK, HARDEST DAY WAS THE SALES DAY WHEN THE STORE IS FULL OF CLIENTS,
THE BEST PART WAS MAKING COSTUMERS HAPPY.
A good experience for dishwashing.
Bellringer (Former Employee), St. Joseph MoMarch 23, 2015
Pros: free lunches.
Cons: no breaks, apart from the bellringing job.
The work was a learning experience to get into dishwashing. The bellringing was cold daily, but brought in at least some cash to put in my pockets.
Very Fun workplace
Cook Rd (Current Employee), Houston, TXMarch 22, 2015
I go in and assist my specific children with their homework. We then go to dinner in the fellowship hall of the recreational center. After that the kids take part in various activities from playing basketball to playing "Lets make a deal". My co-workers are awesome and very easy to work with. The hardest part of the job is when the kids have a bad day and you feel really bad for them and you make it your goal to make them feel better.
fun place
Cashier, Customer service (Former Employee), Gardner, MAMarch 20, 2015
Pros: hours were great and i was bery close
Cons: outdoor donations, and worcesters lack of management
Would sort clothing and other merchandise. Price it, run the register. I learned different ways to merchandise. I loved my manager she was the greatest and my co-workers were awesome. The hardest part of the job was the outdoor donations. The part I loved best was my customers. I really became close with alot of them
excellent work place with pastries and coffee in the morning.
Bell Ringer (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 20, 2015
Pros: all the goodies we get for doing a good job including gift cards, for being a top ten bell ringer for the week..
Cons: the standing all day, and sometimes very rude people where you just have to smile and greet them anyway.
The salvation army is a great all around place to work for.I learned how to better interact with people and the public on a daily basis,got along well with my coworkers.They had pastries and coffee for us every morning.The hardest part was standing on my feet in one spot for 8 hours and i really enjoyed interacting with people as they walked past the kettle.Sometimes customers will bring you starbucks coffee.during your shift.
The Salvation Army is a rewarding place to work.
Social Worker (Former Employee), Cleburne, TXMarch 20, 2015
Pros: getting to help out the less fortunate.
Cons: sometimes having to tell someone that we can't help, can be heartbreaking and stays with you awhile.
A typical day of work at the Salvation Army During non holiday time, incudes answering phones, checking in clients, helping clients fill out applications, putting together food boxes, verifying information with landlords, utility companies. Working here I learned some Spanish, also that social security as well as the community (and up) do not think twice about our elder citizens.
The management was wonderful, and my coworkers were amazing. Management would arrange outings for us on the weekends for us to unwind and have some fun together, Both would go out of their way for you, and the clients as well.
The hardest part of the job was having to tell a client that we could not help them for one reason or another since helping others is just natural to me. The most enjoyable part of the job was the Angel Tree program. I love seeing all the caring people in the county pulling together to help kids from a lower income family. Seeing the kids light up with they came to pick up the gifts provided was very fulfilling.
Family Friendly
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee), Fort Lauderdale, FLMarch 19, 2015
I loved working for my church. It taught me how to serve others needs before my own.

Great atmosphere.

The hardest part was having to leave. Because its non profit pay and hours were limited.

I enjoyed helping families and serving my community.
Not steady, no structure.
Shipping and Receiving Supervisor, Store Cashier (Current Employee), Waukegan, IL Gurnee, IL.March 19, 2015
Pros: job
Cons: no time for family, no security.
Day at work is hectic in the stores. No structure, balance, caring about employees on the ground level there. 6 day work week with minimum home time. Constant negativity. bad. Great mission goals, but hard to work for and be happy with.
A job that offers great personal satisfaction
Dispatch / Beneficiary Process Counselor (Current Employee), Las Vegas, Nev.March 19, 2015
Pros: free meals, excellent healthcare and retirement benefits
Cons: low pay
I work everyday ffrom 7:00 am until 3:30 pm or until the job is done. I work with the befneficiaries of the program which are recovering substance abuse addicts. The staff is incredible and we all make this a wonderful place to watch people become sober and beneficial members of society.
Expect to much for the pay rate and were never satified
Truck Driver (Former Employee), Reno, NVMarch 18, 2015
Pros: free lunches
Cons: very hard to please
Very nerve racking, always walking egg shells. Poor management and very unorganized. Expected to go beyond your daily duties when ever they needed you too, which was pretty much all the time. There for instead of thinking out the situation properly they would just drop a bomb on you at the last minute like it was nothing. No preparation what so ever. Equiptment was run down and warehouse was always filthy and dirty.
work
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Takoma Park, MarylandMarch 18, 2015
relaxed environment. friendly co-workers and manager
I would have continued working there but due to a medcal emergency I had to relieve myself
Busy Place
Housing Monitor (Former Employee), Tampa, FLMarch 18, 2015
Days were very busy. I learned how to manage and check databases. Most of the coworkers were very caring. Hardest part was dealing with clients under the influence of drugs and alcohol. Easiest part was when the the clients went to sleep and i was able to get my work done.
Productive work place with a pool table!
Supervisor (Former Employee), Grand Rapids, MIMarch 18, 2015
Pros: meet alot of people
Cons: none.
Excellent Program for beneficiary. Able to steer others into beneficial life choices. Enjoyed the challenge of changing difficult peoples minds. Showing them the benefit of positive choices.

About The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army is a Christian church known for its thrift stores and charity work. It is an international movement that works – Read more

The Salvation Army Salaries

Assistant Manager
$9.16 per hour

The Salvation Army Photos

Captain Kettle---Holiday Parade
This is why I worked there
feeding others