The Salvation Army
2,372 reviews

The Salvation Army Employer Reviews

Fun way to provide for people in my community
Volunteer (Former Employee), San Francisco, CADecember 18, 2014
Pros: service
Help serve food and beverages to people in need of nourishment. Clean dishes and dinning areas. Learn to work as a team to provide the best help possible to others being served.
great job
Counselor/Intern (Current Employee), winston salemDecember 18, 2014
help kids with homework also was in charger with handling paper work an answer phone calls
fun work place
warehouse worker (Former Employee), Houston, TXDecember 18, 2014
this was a job where i learned to help others and be able to give back to the people who needs the help.
Productive Place
Voulenteer (Former Employee), Bristol, CTDecember 17, 2014
Everyday you cook food and put them out and serve the people at a certain time then after you clean all the dishes and set up for the bread and food pantry give out. Its a very good thing to do.
outside work
bellringer (Former Employee), Oakbrook Terrace, ILDecember 17, 2014
standing outside for long periods ,getting donations for the less furtunate , the most enjoyable part of the day the customers that were surprised how long i could stand outside , also was a friendly work enviroment
Enjoyable time
Seasonal Bell ringer (Former Employee), Farmington Hills MIDecember 16, 2014
Pros: helping the less fortunate
Cons: standing in the cold for 10 hours everyday
I arrived at the site everyday. I worked from 10 a.m- 8 p.m. I watched the faces come up to the kettle to give and they really enjoyed giving gifts of money to the less fortunate. The hardest part of that job was standing outside ringing the bell in the winter season. My supervisor was very smart and taught me a lot.
Regional Account
Accountant Clerk (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDDecember 16, 2014
Bank Reconciliation

Transactions and Journal Entries at Great Plain System

Reviewing, updating, and reconciling general ledger and accounting records

Preparing month end closing, financial reports, and statements

Management reporting and analysis

Special projects and others duties assigned
Great cause
Bell Ringer (Former Employee), Peoria, ILDecember 16, 2014
Pros: meeting new people avery day
Cons: stand out in the cold for lots of hours
This was a very good cause to work for. meeting so many good people that would bring you something warm seeing the kindness of others.
Fun
Bell Ringer (Former Employee), New Haven, CTDecember 15, 2014
My most enjoyable time about the Salvation Army was seeing and learning how many children were in need of help during the holidays the hardest part is that the job is only seasonal once a year
productive and fun work place
Lead Donations Handler (Former Employee), Dallas, TXDecember 15, 2014
helping out people in need. giving toys to little kids. giving back to the community
Veryl damanding organization. Multi faceted in all the areas of this non profit organization.
Thrift Store Manager (Former Employee), Spartanburg, SCDecember 15, 2014
have to be willing to step outside the box and able to be flexible in your job description. Benefits are good for full time employees
helping people
Assistant Manager/Customer Service (Former Employee), Marion, NCDecember 12, 2014
Helping people and meeting people was the most important part of job not so big on the pay for what a asst. manager should get.
great helping place
Warehouse Stocker/Cashier/Driver (Former Employee), Lawton, OKDecember 11, 2014
i was a donation truck driver and warehouse assistant. i loved the way they helped out with the people around the community.
Inconsistent divisional and territorial leadership muddies antiquated business model
Executive and Assistant Executive Director (Former Employee), IADecember 10, 2014
There are great people within the organization, but the structure is similar to the Catholic church, making change and local autonomy nearly impossible. Those in leadership are often less educated than the people they supervise, which makes for challenging interactions. There is a great deal of fear within the culture there: fear of losing donors, of losing funding, of declining statistics, of increased pressure to serve people more completely, of lawsuits, of change in general. They handle perceived forces of change with intimidation and threats. It can be an incredibly uncomfortable work environment if your religious opinion varies even a tiny bit from your boss's, even if you are not hired in a ministry position.
New and acceptable
Seasonal Helper (Former Employee), Victorville, CADecember 10, 2014
Pros: truth is all the duties and work i got to do
Cons: it was a temporay job (accepted)
I get to work on time. I put on my required business apron and grab the kettle for donations, along with the bell. I stand outside greeting customers and ringing my bell. Smiling while asking customers if they like to donate and goodbyes in thank you, God bless, Merry Christmas and happy holidays. I gotten ten minute breaks, so I usually would use 5 minutes to do personal duties and just go straight back to work. For 8 hours working, I proceeded waiting for my supervisor to come and tell me when it is time to go home.
I enhanced my learning in customer service with first and ending meets in greetings. Also, that people really care about others having a wonderful holiday. The Management was very nice they gave me a job! Actually the hiring manager was out on business so the hiring manager that hired me was a substitute. I had no co-workers and really wasn't nothing hard about the job it was easy going. Lastly, the most enjoyable part of the job was, honestly, the whole job. I enjoyed waking up and getting ready to go to work. I enjoyed getting to work, on time was more nice. I enjoyed the job I was working for and what the job was in for too. I enjoyed seeing people really showing support and care to there donations. The whole me apart of Salvation Army was wonderful.
Productive and gratifying work place
Store processor / Driver (Current Employee), Alpena, MIDecember 10, 2014
Pros: helping those in need
Cons: very demanding in the winter months
maintaining two propertys and 76 apartments caring for the residents needs common areas and grounds in senior living tending to special needs and accomidations and that everything is working properly.
It was a very busy company to work for. I logged in about 100 or more clients a day.
Receptionist (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLDecember 8, 2014
Pros: they provided free lunch sometimes
Cons: they had healthcare for their employees
It was a good place to work. I assisted many clients, and I assisted the probation Officers with clerical support.
Love to be with the people outside
Bell Ringer (Former Employee), Miami, FLDecember 8, 2014
Responsible for setting up Bell Ringer Stand

Responsible for taking down Bell Ringer Stand

Motivate customers to donate to the Salvation Army

Collect money for donations and turn in proceeds to the Salvations Army
bell ringer
bell ringer (Former Employee), lebanon paDecember 6, 2014
it was a very cold job but I loved helping other people so they could get what they need
productive workplace
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Harrisburg, PADecember 5, 2014
Pros: helping those in need
Cons: salvation army in company politics
Working for Salvation Army was very self rewarding.
Enjoyable co-workers.
Management could have been a little more professional.
Biggest thing I learned was to have patience with the public.
Enjoyed helping people who needed the most help etc. Fire victims, homeless. Salvation Army has very good benefits.

About The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army is a Christian church known for its thrift stores and charity work. It is an international movement that works – Read more

The Salvation Army Photos