The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

Found 2,992 reviews matching the search
At the time i was there it was great.
Linen Attendant (Former Employee) –  MarylandAugust 19, 2016
A typical day was like any other day. I'm just not a complainer. if i had to say what I'd learned there, i would have to say that everybody is entitled to their own opinion. management needs improving. most people i work with are good humor folk.the hardest part of the job was having to work with ones the didn't seemed to enjoy they're life. the most enjoyable part of that job was the pay check.
Pros
the lunches were limited to my liking.
not good
Warehouse Foreman (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NESeptember 26, 2016
Your setup for failure always Do not make a single mistake its a hoax to turn and butn people for employment you wont get your benefits and it is so micro managed you wont be able to do the job your hired for . They will question everything and not trust you for a minute its a scam to take government money using the people in the program for work therapy not actually caring about the rehabilitation recovery very few graduate
Pros
non
Cons
everything
It's a job where you can actually make a difference
Assistant Manager/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 23, 2016
In the beginning, things were challenging because there was a great lack and compromise of leadership and management. Things have since then become better, but the tendency for employee drama is pretty great.
There have been some good managers, but they have been treated poorly, so leadership still remains a challenge here
Pros
Decent benefits, fair salary
Cons
Poor job security, lots of employee turn-around
Has a Great Mission
Warehouse Assistant Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Perris, CAMarch 31, 2016
I love working for the Salvation Army ARC but I feel as though we are going in two different directions. I feel as though if you work really hard for a company that they should compensate you for it and Salvation Army doesn't.
Pros
Free Breakfast and Lunch
Cons
Hourly Compensation
Great Place to work with great benefits.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 8, 2016
Great environment and benefits. Not enough upward mobility. You feel good about the work you do with the Salvation Army, but being a non-profit means there are not many high paid positions.
Pros
Free Meals, Benefits
Cons
No Upward Mobility
Basically helping people help themselves.Lots of unpaid overtime,still a good place to work
Resident Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cambridge,MassAugust 18, 2016
Enjoyable place to work,able to aid and assist with the needs of the clients while ensuring the safety of all.While enforcing the rules of the center,I was also able to become friendly with staff and clients. Only problem was also residing at the center:pretty much on call 24/7.
Pros
Easy Commute to work
Cons
Not much personal time, unless I left the property
productive working place for all people of life
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 25, 2016
cleaning store putting objects and items where they need to be, stocking shelves with objects and items to be purchased, helping elderly customers and customers that need help to their car with their purchased items, the staff was pretty cool and very mature.Unloading the truck with new shipments for the store was kinda hard but i managed to get the job done all the time. Seeing the smiles on the customers face after helping load their merchandise in their car was priceless.
Pros
1hr lunch breaks
Cons
short breaks
I enjoy working at the Salvation Army of Jackson, MS. I love the idea of hardwork and community involvement.
Bookkeeper/Accountant (Current Employee) –  110 Presto Lane, Jackson, MS 39206August 7, 2016
A typical day at work include balancing statements, reconciling credit card statements and communicating with vendors via email. I assist management with audit and financial reports so we could have a successful audit. The most enjoyable part of this job is seeing the ongoing help to the needy families and community leaders.
My day at the office
Senior Center Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMarch 29, 2016
A day at the Salvation Army Warr Acres Senior Center is very active. My day includes setting up activities for senior citizen participants to partake in throughout the day to keep them active both mentally and physically. Helping those in need locate necessary resources and how to communicate their needs to their nurses and doctors. I am also responsible for connecting with other community agencies to provide resources and information for the senior population. I usually end my day collecting data and completing reports and finally researching grants and locating funding sources.
Pros
Ability to structure the program and activities to fit the need of the participants
Cons
Dealing with multiple personalities, sometimes not knowing if it is early signs of dementia
clean facility ,
Food Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Amarillo, TXJune 3, 2016
There is no order or accountability in the facility . It is all about keeping the numbers up for grants.Their is no leadership. The ones in charge are never here,it is constant chaos.they are more concerned with entertaining the outside than they are spending money on groceries for the clients. Its a media show place. all about the image that we represent.
Pros
great insurance & benefits
Cons
split shifts, work weekends, you are promised raises that never happen, no management, continual staff turn over
Small staff with very friendly managers
Emergency Assistance Worker (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILJanuary 5, 2016
Day begins with seeing clients for emergency assistance, usually five clients a day for a total of 20 clients a week. The afternoon usually consists of record keeping and data management. I have learned hoe to become very professional with clients as well as with other professionals within the community. The hardest part of the job is not being able to help everyone with all of their needs as much as I would like to. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the gratitude and hope that is given to a client when we are able to assist them.
I miss working here
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJuly 5, 2016
The day would start with counting my drawer pricing clothes putting clothes out helping customers cashing cleaning doing paperwork and night deposit I learned you don't have to be blood to be family the management work right with the employees coworkers are all human with good and bad days there was no hard part.The best part of my job was the bond I had with other employees and customers.
Pros
part time employees get vacation time
Cons
not a living wage
Employee oriented organzation.
Director of Social Services (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 1, 2015
The Salvation Army allows you the privilege to balance your family life with your work. A family and employee oriented company that allows you the opportunity to advance in your career.
Pros
Free lunch hour
Cons
Great healthcare benefits.
the job was for the most part easy .. it eventually becomes monotnous
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bath, NYSeptember 20, 2016
working st salvation army , i learned how to run cash registers and run store clothes and supplies . the hardest part of the job was dealing with unruly customers and business politics . the enjoyable part of the job was browsing for select items while working. the worst part was getting wrapped up in poor management
Pros
browsing
Cons
politics and poor management
People are great
HR & Property Management Assistant (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 13, 2016
I loved everyone at headquarters. They were fantastic group of people always willing to give a hand. Management's open door policy allows anyone to feel comfortable coming in with questions or problems, or just feedback.
Pros
Free coffee and tea and soups, flexible scheduling
Cons
1/2 lunches
Great for anyone without a personality
Cashier Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, NHFebruary 18, 2016
False sense of superiority in management, especially area manager. I learned to not cave to the ultimatums, for they are a desperate ploy drawing natural leaders to follower personality. Management has paperwork and highlighted facts, but zero account for natural human needs.

Co-workers are wonderful.

Customers are wonderful.

There is potential.
Cons
short strict breaks
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Taylor, MI 48180February 26, 2016
A very good company that does a lot for people and allows people to grow with in the company. The staff at many of the stores are very good workers and have a family type bond. The biggest negative of the job is the fact that the job security is not there.
Labor Intensive and busy
Processor (Current Employee) –  Romeo, MIMay 12, 2016
Very labor intensive and dirty work. A typical day includes processing 200+ items, cleaning, pricing, and organizing them within the store. You also maintain your area (example, I maintained the Shoes and Accessories) and present your merchandise in a pleasant and easily accessible manner.

Occasionally you interact with customers to answer questions and do price checks.

The management is overall civil to nice. The co-workers are mostly friendly and helpful.
Pros
25% employee discount
Cons
short lunch (30m), dirty environment, hard labor
Nice Place,Enjoyed Serving People,and had pop machine
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHApril 28, 2016
I set up tables to place the food on,rolled food carts from the stockroom in the back,and served people.Checked food carts if they were full and if not go to storage room and restock food carts.Cleaned tables,storage room,and checked food in storage room to see what else was needed for people so if any items were low they would be ordered and delievered on Mondays. I had a co volunteer and would take turns serving people and we would do this every Monday,Tuesday,and Wendsday.
Pros
Allowed to take foods home after serving people
Cons
8:00am to 11:00pm
great mission focused organization
Manager (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AK 99508September 16, 2016
The Salvation Army is mission driven and uses resources to provide services to clients. People come first, and the officers in the Army commit their entire life to service of others. The SA offers a lot of services in the community, but does not draw attention to itself for every good thing they do.
Pros
The people, mission, officers, services provided
Cons
things can move slow due to red tape