THE SCHOOL DISTRICT OF PALM BEACH COUNTY Employee Reviews

It's very conducive place to work and study
SECONDARY MATH TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Florida State, FLAugust 31, 2017
I like everything in this work place. It is located in healthy environment. It very wide and ecologically balance in nature. The people working there are nice people and friendly.
Job Security, Low Pay for work required
Risk Benefits (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLAugust 21, 2017
The School District of Palm Beach County has great job security and total benefits package is very respectable.

However, the pay is very very low. I went in thinking how nice it would be to have all those days off to spend it with my family, but the money was so tight that we could not afford to do much of anything because I was forced in getting a part time job.

My experience with my department was that our team got buried with work load and unrealistic goals/deadlines that our Department Managers and Directors committed too. The most frustrating part was that the credit was absorbed by upper management and no gratefulness/compensation was given to the ones doing the work.

I also noticed that it is very difficult to be promoted with in the organization.

Word of advise, get salary increase/promotion commitments in writing, management will promise the world and quickly forget after hired...
Pros
Benefits, heath care, days off, Work Life Balance
Cons
Lack of Pay, Upper Management are cut throat, Uncommitted Promises
A good family place to work
Esol Facilitator (Creole) (Current Employee) –  Palm Beach County, FLAugust 11, 2017
I think they can do better pay, it's family friendly. Overall the people I work with are beyond Nice, humble and down to earth. The principal is very nice and the students love him.
Intelligent, Amazing, and Inspiring Students
Professional School Counselor (Former Employee) –  Boynton Beach, FLAugust 6, 2017
A chaotic environment that does not lend to providing an education equitable to other schools.
The low salary and expensive health care and other benefits requires one to have a second job.
Pros
Some wonderful staff and the students
Cons
Salary, Health Care
decent pay rate
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLJuly 30, 2017
This job has a decent pay rate but lack the amount hours you can work in a week because of you have to depend on the teacher not showing up for work. As a substitute teacher and there is a lot of traveling to find work.
Pros
decent pay rate
Cons
lacks steady work hours
Great
Substitute principal (Former Employee) –  Boca RatonMay 20, 2017
Loved it! Great job with great people, learning opportunities, teamwork, praise for a job well done, community outreach opportunities, fun, hard work shared, planning done as a team, brainstorming sessions so great, miss it
School District of Palm Beach County
Paraprofessional 1 (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLMarch 31, 2017
Excellent company to work for. Monday thru Friday which allows time for part time employment outside of the company. Excellent health care, dental and life insurance. Overall excellence.
Pros
Excellent Employee Benefits
It is not what you know it is WHO you know
Teacher/Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Palm Beach County, FLFebruary 26, 2016
As a veteran teacher I always did my job above and beyond the call of duty without any help from the district. Use my own money (which was very little due to step increases being taken away and could hardly live on the salary) to provide for my students to help them succeed. District began micromanaging and teaching towards "a test" stressing the students and teachers out rather than allowing teachers to have their creative approach to educate. Going up in this district means you need to know someone of higher rank as they don't hire the best person for the position the hire people that "they know" so no opportunity for advancement. Will not pay you for a higher degree in most areas (if they do it is hardly anything) and you already spend the little income you make on your class. Too political and not focused on making the school district a better educational system.
Pros
Job security after 3 years, insurance, summers off, winter and spring breaks
Cons
awful salary, not caring for the teachers, no opportunity for growth, feeling like you are under a microscope, no creative freedom to help educate students, teaching to "a test"
Administrative Assistant/Accounting Assistant (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLDecember 9, 2015
Fantastic Place to work and enjoyment of working with the children.
Co-workers are amazing to work with, even from different departments. The most enjoyable part of the job is making the parents and students smile.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Short Breaks
intersting job
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLJune 28, 2015
intersting work with the student , and nice communication every day there is a new thing to learn from the school district teachers.and staff.
Was a okay work place
Bus Attendant (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLApril 20, 2015
Typical work day was okay. can be stressful at times. Just had to learn to except others opinion and continue to maintain respect. No i will not like too return to transportation for school District. would like to seek other opportunity.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Overall
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Delray BeachNovember 14, 2014
The management of the schools and district has become extremely poor to the detriment of our students. Moral is low among the faculty. The bureaucracy is too large. The students are wonderful and the work of teaching is wonderful, but the pressure has become unbearable and unproductive. Job advancement is also an issue. Only a fraction of my ability and intellectual power is being used.
Pros
Security
Teaching
Mathematics Teacher (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLSeptember 23, 2013
Teaching high school math
Also coaching football and basketball
Pros
Professionalism
Custodian (Former Employee) –  west palm beachAugust 4, 2013
Striping floors waxing the floors, High speed buffing
cleaning the classrooms
Very flexible
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLJanuary 5, 2013
It's a very straightforward job. I enjoy working with the kids. Great choice for someone who prefers flexibility.
A great place to work.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLSeptember 18, 2012
A typical day at work consisted of following the primary teacher lesson plan and keeping classroom management in tact. The hardest part of the job is when you were assign for one teacher and they change your assignment. The enjoyable part of the job was when the teacher would leave a detailed lesson plan.
Pros
the primary teacher will leave a good lesson plan to follow.
too many chiefs and not enough indians
Accountant IV (Former Employee) –  west palm beach, flJune 10, 2012
too many chiefs and not enough indians. constant change with no direction