The Schwan Food Company

The Schwan Food Company Employee Reviews

Fun work place
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  West Memphis, ARNovember 29, 2016
Senior management worked well with management. Big turn around with employees. Short staff lots of times. Front line employees didn't always have proper work gear for the freezer.
Pros
Fun place
Cons
Healthcare good
Great job with travel benefits.
Executive Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stockbridge, GANovember 28, 2016
This job is great for anyone that likes to travel. Also, this particular job is great for anyone who is enthused by aviation. You will get a chance the see what US military is all about as far as aircraft.
Good company
Service operations specialist (Former Employee) –  Westmoreland, NYNovember 28, 2016
Work life balance not very good.... Salaried position too many hour...great benefits and loved leading others as well as training them to be successful in sales
Frozen Food
Route Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Beaver, WVNovember 27, 2016
This is the coldest and loneliest job an individual could possibly have. You will work 15 hour days sometimes and have little to show for it. Most customers turn you away because of the overpriced food.
Pros
Cons
many
Fun place with ping pong tables
ROUTE SALES MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 25, 2016
People were great but management was not very stable. You have to like driving 10-12 hours per day in a truck. This job was not for me.
Pros
Independent worker
Cons
all commission
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmond, OKNovember 22, 2016
Management would not take necessary steps to insure proper inventory on trucks or the main freezer. They would not insure a proper defrosting schedule was followed on the trucks.
Pros
I loved visiting with the customers.
Cons
Management not doing what they needed to do.
Fun environment, long hours but compensation is good
Multi Unit Area Manager (Current Employee) –  Erie, PANovember 22, 2016
Company has a been a a pleasure to work for over the past 11 years, I have learned a lot of things around management, leading and coaching for success.
Fun and demanding job. Food delivery routes
Route Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Gretna NebraskaNovember 17, 2016
Harder you work the more money you earn. Some hotel stayovers. Meet new people. Alot of customers treat you like family. It's like you drive around all day to see your friends
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Progressive private company with GREAT benefits
Sales and Management (Former Employee) –  Dade City, FL 33525November 17, 2016
Hard work that pays off in ability to be promoted from within the company. Great benefits and salary. Commission to start and bonus system that rewards hard work.
Pros
Great bonus opportunities
Cons
LONG work hours
Horrible place to work
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  New York StateNovember 12, 2016
Worst work life balance ever. The area managers are usually incompetent as they hire from within the company. This company lies about salary, benefits, hours, almost anything they lie about. I worked for the Jamestown depot in NY for 7 months. It was a complete joke. They say 45-47,000, you will never see that kind of money. Do the math after taxes your lucky to break 29,000. Lie after lie.
Pros
zero pros
Cons
Almost everything
Schwans
Occupational medical assistant (Former Employee) –  Florence, KYNovember 9, 2016
I really enjoyed working for this employer. There was room for advancement. The managers were understandable and actually cared about you
Crystal run village is diverse and offers advocation.
Vendor (Former Employee) –  Middletown, NYNovember 6, 2016
Crystal run village offers an opportunity to work in a diverse environment, and encourages support for the mentally disabled. They also provide opportunities for future endeavoring in the nursing field, and advocacy for personal attribution.
Pros
company vehicle, and advancement in the nursing field
Cons
wages
Good pay for partially motivated people
Route Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDNovember 3, 2016
The Schwans food company has always been a great family focused company. Recently within the last couple of years it has become more corporate with a lot more management and less freedom of running your own business. Pay for higher paid people has been dropped considerably with the focus being based on a more even keel pay scale. I truly loved this job and was planning on retiring from it as a career but do to circumstances I have to move on!!
Pros
Guaranteed pay plus small commision
Cons
Long hours and right now unfulfilling motivation
A lot of work for not a lot of pay
Culinary Intern (Former Employee) –  Hebron, KYNovember 2, 2016
The atmosphere is great, the other employees are super nice and work as a team. It's the managers that give you loads of work and if you come to them about an increase, they wont agree.
Nice Company
Food Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 2, 2016
Schwan's is a good company that provides good benefits to its employees. There is a lot of turnover for Supervisors due to the high production demands and the long hours. It is a solid company that does generally care about its employees.
Sr. Material Handler/Warehouse Lead (Former Employee) –  Greenville, WIOctober 31, 2016
This is a good place to work and there are many aspects within this organization. This is truly a big business and dealing with people from all over the nation is a great experience. The food industry is amazing in itself and the Schwan's organization is truly a leader in this field.
Productive and hard working company
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Tualatin, OROctober 27, 2016
I work a grave yard shift from 11pm to whenever the work for the day is done. Work in the freezer grabbing the food for the trucks and hand it off to the loader, fuel trucks and clean and walk the line to make sure the compressor is working to make sure the food is still frozen for the next day. I have learned to work as a team and safety on the job(most important task) and read the load order sheets for each truck. Management is great get along with my bosses and if i have a question about something they give me an answer. I work with a great couple of guys we get along great have some fun and talk about things and I ask something about work or off a order sheet they help me out. Hardest part of the job is being away from my wife not seeing her much before going to work and most enjoyable part is working with great co-workers.
Pros
Discount for employees, Benefits, great co-workers
Cons
nothing
This is the career I strived in, because I enjoyed what I did.
Route Manager/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  West Salem, WIOctober 25, 2016
This by far was my favorite jobs I ever did, my typical day would start by picking up by route book, making sure my truck was loaded the night before. I delivered frozen food with a customer base of 1100 families every two weeks.
The most favorite part of my job was building an awesome customer relationship with 9 year track record. The hours were long and weather was challenging at times. My route supervisors were like family.
Pros
Like your own business manager.
Cons
13 or 14 hour days.
Politics
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Canton, MIOctober 25, 2016
The job is go door to door and build relationships with people so they will buy frozen groceries from you. Seems simple enough. Leadership went crazy for seven years changing things left and right, including themselves. After the last pay cut I couldn't afford to give them any more of my life.
Pros
Freedom in truck all day
Cons
Soliciting
Sale and deliver Schwan's Products
Route Sales Driver (Current Employee) –  Gorham, MEOctober 25, 2016
It is a sales position as well as delivery, therefore, it has always been a job that required you to push product. When I started this position, we started our day at about 8 AM and were considered a first shift position. In the past six months, it has been changed to 2nd shift and we are trying to deliver product and sell it in the evening. Not only is it difficult to find homes in the dark, people are less interested in dealing with sales personnel in the evening.

Also, all the routes have been changed and we are expected to make 60 to 70 stops in a 10 hour period as well as travel to and from the station in that time. The management has become very controlling with regard to routing, etc. and less understand of the fact that most of the drivers have a sales relationship with the customers and know what they will want and when it is best to see them.

I have enjoyed meeting the people on my routes and the customer contact. However, as a result of the change to 2nd shift and the lack of time for a family life, I am looking for a position that affords me more chance for advancement and an opportunity to spend time with my family.
Pros
Good Pay and Benefits
Cons
Long hours and demanding physically and mentally.

2.5