The Schwan Food Company

The Schwan Food Company Employer Reviews

Running a Route
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee), Waco, TXJuly 18, 2014
Very long hours. The job requires lots of people skills and the pay is great. If you are a family person, then you will find this place to take time away from your family. Great management and very friendly customers. Food is a bit over priced but the quality is second to none.
Human Resources Senior Corporate Payroll Specialist Position
Human Resources Corporate Payroll Specialist (Former Employee), Marshall, MNJuly 18, 2014
This was a great place to work and I had many years of experience at The Schwan Food Company (starting in 1983)!
Great teamwork.
Customer Sales Representative – Single Route (Current Employee), Republic, MOJuly 17, 2014
Can be a good place to work at. Co-workers and ASM were enjoyable to be around.
Great company to work for.
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee), Victoria TXJune 15, 2014
Working at Schwan's was great. There were long days but building relationships with the same customers and obtaining new ones were always fun.
Everyday feels like a new adventure
Route Sales Representative (Current Employee), Streetsboro, OHMay 28, 2014
Pros: outdoors all day, meeting new people, eating out daily
Cons: unpredictable hours, poor management, equipment failures
A typical day starts at 930 by arriving to the depot to get your route manifest and vehicle with supplies. Through out the day you make deliveries while also knocking on doors to gain new customers. I learned that sometimes some customers just need more time to make a decision. I work with an awesome group of men who all help and support each other. – more... The hardest part of this job is that you never know when you are getting off which is hard on the family. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to delivery high quality food to customers who are not able to go to the store. – less
Schwans
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee), Marlette, MIMay 21, 2014
Long days with little pay, no real opportunities for advancement. Great management but very little opportunity. 70+ hours a week with little reward and very lackluster incentive programs for creating new customers and sales
Sucks
Route Sales Representative (Current Employee), Conroe, TXMay 19, 2014
Long Hours, Low Pay, Constant Mgmt Changes
Great Customers
Terrible DOT rules
No Home Life
Great learning experience
Product Development (Current Employee), Deer Park, TXMay 15, 2014
Pros: free oportunities to learn and gain experience.
Cons: work weight not fairly distributed.
No opportunities to locally advance within the company.

It was a great experience, a lot of great learning that helped me to grow personally/ professionally.
Self employment at it's best!
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee), Bellingham, WAMay 14, 2014
Pros: customers, method of doing business, support with everything you need like truck, brochures, etc, free/discounted product! benes, 401
Cons: long hours, you may have a great depot mgr or a crummy one, i realize that can really affect the enjoyment of your job.
I have an interesting history with Schwan's. I have worked as an RSR for Schwan's before and plan to return in August. (I'd go back now but I have an issue with my DL and have to wait)

Here is my objective review of Schwan's. And it's different then the one I would've written years ago. I'll tell you about my first experience and the effect it had – more... on my family then I'll tell you - in my opinion - the type of person that I think would be a great fit for Schwan's.

Schwan's is not for everyone. In fact I would go so far to say that only the very few will make this a successful career. But that doesn't mean it's not worth it. When I first worked as an RSR it was 25 years ago when I had two very young children and a new marriage. In fact, I was quite young myself and hadn't been in the work force very long. The very long hours took it's toll on my young family and I missed them terribly. At that age it was hard for me to look down the road and think long term. I could've had a very successful route by now if I had stayed there 25 yrs. (or gone into mgmt) Back in those days there were no cell phones, no gps...none of that! We actually used the blue route books and you had to write directions to the next stop on the back of the previous stops page. Guess what happened when you tore a stop out? You guessed it...the directions would be totally screwed up, lol. I remember MANY nights trying to find a house and couldn't see the address in the dark and I had to get out with a flashlight just to make sure. We also would use cassette tape recorders to record our route. (quite effective really) i.e. "Ok...after you get done with Mrs. Wilson, continue on Main St. and turn right on State Street to.....blah blah blah".

Since that time 25 yrs ago I've learned a lot about myself, had different jobs and was self employed for 18 yrs. Everyone dreams of owning your own business but guess what...unless your Bill Gates only a few very lucky people are really doing well. Sometimes you can work your butt off and it's not enough. Sometimes it takes luck to really make it big. At least big enough to give yourself benes, 401, etc.

ENTER SCHWAN'S! It took me forever to understand this but Schwan's is perfect for the person that wants to own their own business. You HAVE to treat it like your own business. After the base goes away, it's 100% commission folks. But UNLIKE being self employed, you get health insurance, retirement, uniforms, a truck, fuel for the truck, brochures and on and on and on. IT'S THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS! I should've returned to them years ago...I've been such a fool. But I think being self employed before coming back will just help me be that much better of an RSR. I know what it's like to feel all alone...no one behind you....no support...it sucks!!! Schwan's is not for the lazy...it's for entrepreneurs plain and simple. It's about the cheapest way to go into business for yourself. That's the way I see it at least. What about earning potential? Read on....

I have a friend in our local depot that made over $70k last year. Does that get you jazzed up at all? It sure does me. He and I are very similar in personalities and work ethic so while I don't expect to walk into whatever route I get and make 70k the first year, I know that it's possible. My friend told me that he could take any route in our county and make it successful. That there were no bad routes, just bad (or maybe lazy is a more accurate term) RSR's. That was good enough for me.

The job itself....Schwan's is really unique. I mean how many home delivery companies/jobs are out there anymore? Remember the days where the iceman, vegetable man, milk man, etc delivered door to door? Yeah, me neither! LOL But I'm telling you there is nothing like driving up a farm road, seeing the dogs barking and all excited and hearing the kids yell "it's the Schwan's man, it's the Schwan's man!" It really is quite nostalgic and I'm an old fashioned guy so that's why I loved the day to day stuff so much. There's nothing like sitting down at the kitchen table and having the dog plop his head in your lap waiting for a pet on his head while you're entering in codes. Treat your customers right, stay on your route, and you'll become part of the family for many customers. Some people say that the whole way Schwan's markets/sells (there's a fancy word for that that I can't think of right now) is outdated and behind the times. I don't buy it...especially after I see what my buddy is doing in sales. People will still buy from the Schwan man...you just have to remember they have to buy you! Be nice! Treat them like royalty! I promise it will be worth it!

That's my review. If you're young and have a young family but you're a go getter? Then dedicate yourself to it and know that in the long run it will better your life and the future of your family. The hours you put in wouldn't be any different then going to grad school or working in other high pay demanding jobs. I'm in my 50's now...kids are grown....I'm single...but still hungry....and I got time on my hands so it's coming at the perfect time. – less
Fun job, long hours
Regional Safety Manager (Former Employee), Rochester, NYMay 6, 2014
Pros: fun people to work for
Cons: long days and weeks.
Work from early morning to late evening, selling frozen food. It was a fun job, got to meet several good people and was able to keep them safe. Hardest part of the job was when someone got hurt, it was my job to keep them safe.
Relaxed work environment, just not very internally friendly.
Senior Material Handler (Current Employee), ohioMay 5, 2014
Pros: relaxed
Cons: pay, time, managerial incompatence
Schwans is a very relaxed work environment. 10 years ago they believed in family and time.And they always promoted within first. Now all they see is $$ profits and loss. And getting a secure management job with them is impossible if you already are employed there it has become outside in instead of inside out. I understand that is what it takes sometimes. – more... However not at the cost of your employees happiness. This company is very hard to work for and Ill be completely honest when I say that 17 out of the last 20 people Ive worked with are single. Or became single while working for Schwans ( because the job caused a divorce if that wasn't clear). – less
long days and no family time
Sales Representative (Former Employee), las vegas nvApril 29, 2014
You develop sales skills while working l4 hour days. Manage your own route. Build new customers and upsell existing ones. Great co-workers. Good benefits and vacation.
Schwans
Route Driver (Current Employee), Bedford, VAApril 28, 2014
Pros: good pay and benifits weekends off
Cons: long days
Good place to work if you are single or have alot of time on your hands; other than that pay is good if you make commisions but days can be crazy long if you don't know the route
Low Pay LONG hours
Driver/Route Sales Manager (Former Employee), Lima, OHApril 28, 2014
low paying job and your expected to work 14 hours a day
The customers are great
management works 4 hours a day
co-workers are great
Good Job if your single.
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee), Marshall, MNApril 24, 2014
Pros: meeting new people
Cons: hours, pay
Schwans is a good company if you are young and single. The hours are not the best if you have a family.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Byesville, OHApril 20, 2014
Very long days so not much of a career for a person with a family.
Really long hours
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee), O'Fallon, MOApril 16, 2014
The place was fun, liked that I didn't have anyone breathing down my back. The hours that you had to put in were crazy.
challenging but rewarding
Facility Supervisor (Former Employee), Newport news vaApril 10, 2014
Management was great a little demanding at times but overall great
Bad management No structure
Delivery Driver (Current Employee), Richardson, TXApril 10, 2014
Pros: getting off early
Cons: salary, benefits below average, no structure, no communication, very hard for minority to move up/ racist company
Bad management, no communication, no advancement, bad equipment, trucks always breaking down and idea lease doesn't fix them properly. No unity among the sales reps and drivers. Their always asking how can we help and still no changes made to benefit both sides. The only great about this job is getting to work early and getting off early, only if your – more... truck doesn't break down and now your waiting 3 hrs for a town truck – less
Sales/Driver (Former Employee), NVApril 8, 2014
Long hours good pay. Great people in communities. Good food at fair prices.

1 2 3 4 5

About The Schwan Food Company

We Make Food. It's what we do and we do it well. From home to stores, restaurants and more, our products are everywhere you – Read more

The Schwan Food Company Photos