The Schwan Food Company

The Schwan Food Company Employee Reviews

Found 1,001 reviews matching the search
work on your own
Customer Service Manager - Route Sales (Former Employee) –  Manteca, CAFebruary 25, 2017
Decent job but very long hours.
Management steals your customers and prepaid orders.
lot of driving
nice to work alone
inventory is never right because loaders use wrong load sheets
Pros
Work on your own
Cons
Managers want you in area til 9 pm, then hour plus drive back to depot to do paperwork and then go do bank drop
repetitive
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, TXFebruary 24, 2017
this job wasn't going anywhere. working at a plant is basically doing the same thing every single day. not a whole lot to keep you motivated. but i the mangers where ok and didn't try to micro manage.
Trying to stay relevant
RSR Driver (Former Employee) –  WisconsinFebruary 23, 2017
Commision route sales job with good but expensive product line. To be fair company is trying to upgrade their sales model to stay relevant in today's market. Regular changes in upper management result in changing expectations and rolling out of different sales and commission models that affect sales and pay. High turnover rate. Not much work/life balance. I never saw my kids or wife except on the weekend. DOT allows for 14 hr work days which are possible with sales meetings, going to bank after work etc. Most days were 12 hrs 5 days a week. I had between 40 and 80 stops a day. I was also required to cold stop (knock on doors) to build new customers. I was lucky and had very good area managers, but that is not everywhere. I did well growing routes until the last delivery fee increase and lost about 1/3 of my customer base. Started building my routes back up but then they changed the areas again. I took a better job offer for the piece of mind of knowing what my paychecks would be.
Pros
40% food discounts, Customers are like family
Cons
Changing expectations, Slow to follow through on promises
Line Operator (Former Employee) –  Florence, KYFebruary 22, 2017
I am a responsible person at schwans work almost 5 years i is a pleasant company only you pray them fell were working less than 40 hours so that I decided to finish with them
Pros
N/A
Cons
N/A
Enjoyed developing a relationship with my customers
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Loveland, COFebruary 22, 2017
The division I worked for is going through change, it may not look the same in five years or less. The company is encouraging its shoppers to order online and the driver delivers. If the customer order less than $50 there is a small delivery charge. If the customer orders at his door they will pay a $5 delivery fee. Schwan's wants all of their customers to order online or by phone. The driver will become a UPS or FEDEX driver delivering food. The personal touch is going away.
Pros
I got to eat some great tasting food!
Cons
14 other outlets that sell frozen food besides me and I come every other week.
Ok
Sanitation Tech 1 (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 20, 2017
Fair not the best too strict, employees are not fairly compensated. Could think more about the ones who day to day to day operation more
if you hate life, you will enjoy it
just a little person in the grand scheme (Former Employee) –  MissouriFebruary 15, 2017
lack of appreciation for the "little" people of the company. Raises given are an insult to humanity. Hostile warehouse environment.
It was a good career with Schwans
Sr. Manager Fleet Depot Infrastructure (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNFebruary 13, 2017
The opportunity to work with some very good people and fun working with them. The career starting on Routes and was able to advance up the corporate ladder.
Wonderful products, coworkers, and a stellar way to meet people.
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Staunton, ILFebruary 10, 2017
Typical sales job, pressures of meeting the minimum.
It is not easy to be a woman working and driving for this company.
The other drivers are a wealth of experience and knowledge. Definitely a cool way to contribute and help schools and the communities. Charitable events were a nice aspect.
Pros
Bonuses, really cool customers treat you like family.
Cons
"Boys Club"
Typical day
Area Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  ArizonaFebruary 8, 2017
typical day do your dot head out make 55 to 70 stops a day.this job for many years was comm only. If you cant sell you don't make it can be very stress full at times But build your base take care of your customers and succeed. Now you have a small base it helps the new people get started The most enjoyable part is the customers.The hard part is getting new to stick.
Pros
Your own boss as long as you sell food.
Cons
work from 9 am till 8 pm at night sometimes less sometime more.
Great wrok environment
Back up Supervisor/ Reach truck operator (Current Employee) –  Walton, KYFebruary 7, 2017
At the distribution center in Walton KY, you earn great start pay and experience a laid back work environment. You work 12 Hour shifts which gives you plenty of days off during the week. But plenty of overtime if desired.
Horrible management
Route Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Effingham, ILFebruary 6, 2017
Management lies to you and they don't care about you all you,are are numbers. They give all the good customers on routes tobpeopke who have been there for years. In Effingham alone there are 3 different Schwan's drivers so you come out of a house and there is another Schwan's truck in your area. This job is a joke with a manager who has little man syndrome.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Too many to list
Lies to get you hired
Route Sales and Service (Former Employee) –  Woodway, TXFebruary 4, 2017
No life, no family, no problem if you don't mind working 60hrs a week. Pay is garbage when you break it down hourly. Worse management. Trucks are dirty and dangerous. The company could careless about you. Just with work your 60 hrs and be happy with no life.
Pros
Discount on food.
Cons
Everything else.
company needs employee-human resource improvement
Area Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 1, 2017
Company relations are lower than it should be. Human resources are slow/don't follow up on employee concerns. Needs improvement
Pros
promotional opportunity
Cons
employees feel out in left field
If work life / balance and being treated fairly is important - STAY AWAY
Service Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Yakima, WAJanuary 31, 2017
I worked there 6 years as an RSR and in Management. You can count the number of days I missed on one hand, but you would need a calculator to add up the number of extra hours and days I worked beyond the 60 hour a week norm.

The HR Department is laughable. They responded to a health issue that I had on a company physical exam by putting me out on a "medical suspension" 6 weeks WITHOUT pay and cutting off my benefits, leaving me with numerous medical bills and severely limiting my ability to continue treatment.They did not communicate with me during any of this process and still have not contacted me to this day. They even had the nerve to contest my unemployment.

There were four different depot managers during my time there.The next level of management is worthless and spends most of the time driving and running up expenses while giving little support to the depots.The drivers don't like being told to "execute" aggressive sales tactics such as "don't walk away unless they say no twice" that are pushed from this level.The customers like it even less.

I have nothing but respect and admiration for my teammates and the current depot manager. I really enjoyed working with the hundreds of customers I met while employed there.I have made several lasting friendships over the years. But as far as this organization goes they don't have a clue what " Doing the Right Thing" means.
Pros
Food discounts and decent benefits
Cons
Long on dialect - Short on deeds
Long Hours
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNJanuary 31, 2017
As a route sales representative, you are required to drive a Schwan's truck around and sell food. The hours can be long, generally starting around 10:30am and ending anywhere around 8:30 or later. You learn to sell food to customers. You have a different area every day on a 2 week period where you will go see people at their homes, during set hours that they have set up. You will do alot of reaching and lifting products to carry to the door. No real heavy lifting, maybe 20lbs in each hand if it is a big order.
Pros
discount on food. meeting people
good job
Route Delivery Saleaman (Current Employee) –  FloridaJanuary 29, 2017
good job but nothings perfect. benefits could be better. over all job is good, i just think either eliminate the 1% comm and pay more or pay hourly with overtime
Former Route Relief Driver/Salesmen
Route Relief Driver (Former Employee) –  Bolingbrook, ILJanuary 28, 2017
I worked at the Bolingbrook Depot for over a year! As a route relief driver, your schedule is very inconsistent. Some days I started at 2am some days 4am. You work very long hours on a day pay scale. So if you work over 8-10 hours you fall into the minimum wage salary which isn't very good for A CDL driver. As a salesman, you work 10-12 hours a day, stores refusing your orders, affecting your paycheck. management was OK.
Pros
Free Pizza
Cons
Pay
Decent money at the cost of enjoying life
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  North Vernon, INJanuary 28, 2017
Decent money at the cost of enjoying life. Long Hours. Monday-Friday. Possible Saturdays. 10:00am - 8:30pm on a good day. No overtime. Non-negotiable. DOT regulated.
Flexible work schedule
Regional Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJanuary 26, 2017
Flexible work environment with tough recruiting metrics. Benefits packages are awesome, especially for individuals with families. Privately held organization.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Schwan Food Company. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5