The Schwan Food Company

The Schwan Food Company Employee Reviews

Teamwork
Route Sales Representative/Warehouse Helper (Former Employee), Houston, TXMarch 12, 2015
Pros: great teamworkers
Cons: long hours, commission based
The employees that I had the pleasure of working with always uplifted one another. Each morning there was a small meeting amongst the depot to discuss the daily goals with team members setting out to challenge the others. We were rewarded for meeting certain goals if the team agreed to participate. Even on our bad days of sales, no one bashed you for poor performance!
Schwans
Route Sales Representative - trainee (Current Employee), Muskogee, OKMarch 7, 2015
Not my cup of tea, job was glorified way more than the reality. Door to door sales not my thing. Prefer not depending on food sales
LONG HOURS BAD PAY AMOUT OF TIME YOU PUT IN.
Route Service Representative (Former Employee), Mahomet IllinoisMarch 7, 2015
Pros: pay every friday
Cons: hours, benifits, never enough sales nothing ever seemed good enough
Manager was a great guy personally (upper managment not so much), No real clear vision always chaining ideas and minds. Working 9 am 9 pm some of the people that would have higher sales numbers liked to sit around after work and always talk bad about the guys that are having a hard time not all of them but a good deal of them. Never have i ever worked with a group of people who are think they are more superior than those thay work with. Lots of lies and talk about people who are not around. Money is not what they promise. You really feel like a schmuck going to peoples homes and selling them over priced frozen food. On a bright note being payed every friday was great food discount was decent.For the hours you work you might as well work a minimum wage job. Commission is a joke. Bottom line nothng is ever good enough you sell $1300 one day then the next time you go around and only sell $1100 they want to know why.Hardest part was the customers that would sign up and never be home or always say no, they would give you every reason in the book as to why they are not buying. Schwans would make it seem like that is all your fault not the customers. They will put you on a ride along with one of the guys that has a good route so you can see what a "GOOD" day looks like. Most likely you will get a not so good route.It will be nothing like what you saw when you ride along. Vacation Black out days they do not tell you about. Bottom line worst company I have ever worked for. I went back to railroading much more worth my time.
No life, no chance of promotion or transfer. STAY AWAY!
Route Sales Representative. (Former Employee), Blue Springs, MOMarch 7, 2015
Pros: nothing....
Cons: everything....
They fill you full of lies to accept employment then after you get suckered in they will abuse you. Not pay you what they said they would and make you work 70 hours a week. Average that out for what you will make... About minimum wage. But that is for 70 hours. LOL Base pay after training pay is okay. They tell you that you can make all this money on commission. I never made over 1% EVER! I worked my butt off for 1%, And your best is never enough. They demand you get one new buying customer everyday. It is tough to do. Sounds easy, wow, just one new customer a day? It's not. When people see the prices they will say no thank you. Like any big company they will cheat you out of pay as much as possible. Have you work at another location and never pay you for mileage that they told you they would.

A typical day starts out 8am. You go out and face a tough fight to get people to buy. While you beg people for referrals. They don't want you coming back in with out a new customer and not before 9pm. Then you have to close out your shift and do your paperwork and make your deposit. It's 10pm by the time you are finished and on your way home. Hope you don't have a wife or kids. You wont get to see them much. Except on the weekends. Oh yeah.... They try to make you work on Saturdays too. They tell you that you will make $45,000 a year. We had a driver that has been with the company a very long time said he has never made that much. They show you drivers that sell $25,000 a week but what they don't tell you is that they are out in the country and most of the high selling RSR's work the – more... oil field workers in ND and just back their trucks up and sell them out! It's just not going to happen in the city. To many grocery stores where you can get the same stuff a lot cheaper.

The trucks are always breaking down and they make you drive unsafe trucks. They take forever to fix anything because they don't pay their mechanics much. And they aren't very good either because of that.

My boss would always lie to me. I would be told one thing in the morning and at night they would say something completely different.

You will have a lot of daily frustrations too. Product not on the truck, missing product. The Hand Held Computers (HHC) will always crash several times a day. Making you look like a idiot in front of customers. The HHC's are 10 years old and the company refuses to buy new ones. They said they don't have the money to buy them. Probably because they are paying out claims for drivers backing over children and killing them.

The honest and only good part of the job is getting to know your customers and their families.

I wouldn't recommend working here unless you REALLY just need a job and one just until you can find something better. – less
Poor company to work for.
Route sales representative (Current Employee), Fond du lac WisconsinFebruary 28, 2015
Pros: independent work
Cons: everything else
Arrive in the morning at 8:00 check your truck over leave depot and begin to the destination you cover, Managment do not care if you have a family because you work all day and all night usually getting home around 10pm and then start it all over the next day. By time the week is over you are so drained. I would have to say the job is strictly for a single person with nothing to come home to but sleep. The benefits are not good very high deductibles and premiums are high. Pay is terrible unless you have a "wealthy" family on your route. I do not recommend this job to any one. I say good luck if you "TRY" it. Btw depot manager will make you ride with a driver all day without getting payed!
If your single and have no life, then this is the job for you!
RSR (Former Employee), Tucson, AZFebruary 26, 2015
Cons: everything!
This was the worst job I ever had hands down! If you enjoy your family and your life, then look elsewhere. The only way to make money with this job is to break DOT rules by driving too long. I worked Mon-Fri sometimes Saturday from 8am to 1030 sometimes 11pm. My take home pay after taxes per week was under $300. Stay away from this job!!
DAC record ruined, long hours, low pay
Route Sales/Delivery (Former Employee), Lawton, OKFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: none i can think of...
Cons: bosses, pay, hours, dot regulations
From the beginning, the trainers caused me to get internal DOT violations, 3 violations and you get 3 day suspension without pay, 4 and you're fired. Minimum 12 hour days, often 14 because of size of route, causing Hours of Service violations. Told to work through my DOT break so I won't get in late. Constant threats of being fired. Customers complain because you can't make door times, threatening to throw you out of the store, which you will be fired for. Hours were from 4am till 6 pm but you have to clock out by 4pm then spend an hour and a half cleaning out your truck and doing inventory, taking tests, surveys etc. Was ridiculed by my manager on a conference call that he didn't realize I was on. They will blame you for going over your hours of Service because you have a CDL and should know this but if you don't service all the stops on your route because you don't have time, they write you up. You get written up and or suspended for doing your job. Their commission is a joke 1percent. I put in over 70 hours a week in all reality. If you get off for a holiday, you don't get paid for it, you have to work one of your days off so you don't lose money. I would say the job is a joke, but the way they treat their employees isn't funny.

Worst career move I ever made. Terrible company to work for. A lot of long time employees have quit. They don't care about you or your family.
Good company
Route sales representative (Former Employee), Jackson, MIFebruary 21, 2015
Pros: good base pay, good benefits.
Cons: managment is poor at best, bad work/life balance.
You meet some great people at Schwan. I enjoyed the people and customers. Good pay for a good job. Christmas tips are awesome. There are a lot of hours in this job usually 12 to 14 hours and a lot of it is driving. The management is the biggest issue. They tend to treat the non super stars poorly. The company is worth trying.

You also have to compete with your own products sold in grocery stores. The product you sell is priced hiring on top of that.
Route sales representative
Route sales representative (Former Employee), Dothan ALFebruary 14, 2015
Pros: the customers you meet
Cons: everything else
I worked between 50 to 60hrs a week. Stayed away from home 3 nights a week and the nights I did get to go home it was 12am before I walked through the door so my wife and kids were in bed. I had NO life working for them. The worst job I've ever had in the route business. They'll tell you on job postings you'll make 40 to 50 k a yr which is a lie. You'll have to build your route to such a tremendous size you'll violate DOT hrs on duty codes to service them. I made 440 a week after taxes. If you like working long hrs with very little pay and never seeing your family, a company with lots of codes they micromanage everything with, then this is the job for you!!!!
I DO NOT RECOMEND THIS PLACE TO ANYONE
Refrigeration Supervisor (Former Employee), Salina, KSFebruary 4, 2015
Pros: got paid
Cons: upper management
BUTTERED MY BREAD GOT ME IN THE DOOR , THEY WOULD RATHER LIE TO THE CORPERATE OFFICE THEN PUT MONEY INTO THIER COMPANY , REFRIGERATION SYSTEM IN MUCH NEED OF REPAIR CAN'T EVEN SHUT DOWN LOW SIDE , BECAUSE OF LEAKS WHEN I WAS THERE AND , WHERE NOT WILLING TO SHUT IT DOWN LONG ENOUGH TO MARK THE LEAKS, DECIDED TO LEAVE NOT THE PLACE FOR ME
Great People
Freezer Specialist (Current Employee), Marshall, MNFebruary 4, 2015
The people on my shift made this place enjoyable to work at. The work was nothing amazing though and no place for advancement.
to many hours long trips
Route Sales Manger (Current Employee), Showlow azJanuary 31, 2015
did not care being out of town all the time.all the hours put in. the cold, snow rain and other conditions all the time driving so some one could get 1 itemooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Great Place, but....
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee), Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 21, 2015
Co-workers were awesome. Managers were awesome. Compensation had the potential to be awesome. But the hours were awful. 12-14 hrs/day kind of awful. And even Saturdays on occasion. Holidays were never observed. It was all about the sales/money. No care was given to the employees. Kind of ironic for a company claiming to be a "family company". If you're single, this job would be great. Have a family.....move along.
Good pay and benefits but....
Customer Service / Route Sales Representative (Former Employee), Springdale, ARJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: wonderful customers! mimimal management interaction
Cons: 60+ hours a week.
After a multi year tenure with Schwans, I've decided that while the company and product are great, the hours necessary to fulfill the expectations is almost impossible.

If you're married, your spouse must accept 9 am-10 pm Monday through Friday.

If you're single, have the desire to work and you have no relationship at home, the possibilities income wise, are limitless!
It was a fun place to work with good management
Sales Manager (Former Employee), Fraziers Bottom, WVJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: management and benefits
Cons: hours and pay vs hours
A typical day was from 7am till 10pm and also sometimes a sixth day in the week. I learned a lot about managing routes and selling product. The management was great they were always there to help. My co-workers were a bunch of great people that helped tremendously. The hardest part was the hours and not benefiting from them. The most enjoyable part was getting to know the people on my route.
Very Easygoing Company to Work
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee), Richmond, VAJanuary 12, 2015
Pros: working by yourself
Cons: long hours
Nice place to work, start a 9:00am and start interacting with customers during whole day. Management and Team very friendly and understandable.
Customer Sales Representative
Customer Sales Rep (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 8, 2015
Pros: paid gas
Cons: too much driving
I would drive to several different grocery stores and order and stock different foods. I obtained great customer service skills. Had a great manager and co-workers. Hard part of the job was driving a lot. Enjoyed working with great people.
A challenging job that requires long hours.
Route Sales Representative (Current Employee), Springfield, ILJanuary 4, 2015
You can be very successful at this job if you are willing to work long hours and don't have a personal life. A typical day begins at 10 am and you will work till 10 pm. Once you are done with the route you will still need to straighten truck and do final paperwork before leaving to go home. You do meet a lot of interesting and nice people on your route.
Lots of consumer interaction and freedom.
Route Driver (Former Employee), Marion, IAJanuary 3, 2015
Pros: lots of freedom. little to no supervision.
Cons: very long hours for the pay.
I would usually leave the depot about 9am. I would then spend the rest of my day developing and servicing the existing clients on my route.
Schwans
Route Sales Representative (Current Employee), Castlerock, CODecember 12, 2014
Pros: independence
Cons: long day
pre trip inspection complete the route try to sell as much food as possible post trip inspection when the route is complete.

About The Schwan Food Company

We Make Food. It's what we do and we do it well. From home to stores, restaurants and more, our products are everywhere you – Read more

The Schwan Food Company Salaries

Route Sales
$45,035 per year
Material Handler
$20.50 per hour

The Schwan Food Company Photos

Route Sales Representatives are provided a thorough training on products and unparalleled service!
60+ years and we are still operating under our founder's vision!
Schwan's Home Service, Inc. attends a recent Job Fair for the Detroit Metro area.