The Schwan Food Company Employee Reviews

Found 1,152 reviews matching the search
Long Hours, Not competitive with any other top tier delivery services.
Route Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  TexasAugust 26, 2017
The most rewarding aspect of this job is customer relations. With most customers you are like family to them and they treat you as such. Good luck spending much time with your actual family. the hours are typically 11+ hours a day with most days being closer to 13. The pay is a daily salary plus a low commission considering the price of the food. If Schwans began paying the RSR's an hourly wage the company would go bankrupt, but they would be much happier considering the heavy impact on their lives due to the very long hours every day with some days not having time for a break due to the route schedule not actually having enough time for you to relax and take any time to stop for 30 minutes. Do not take this position if you are unable to get past the aspect of low relative pay and getting home everyday too tired to do anything but eat and go to sleep. Management is great and company has a good outlook currently, but will be eventually shut down due to other powerhouse's like Amazon encroaching on the food delivery market with better prices, and better pay for their employees.
Pros
Great experience, and advancement opportunities.
Cons
Very long hours, under payed.
Long hours.
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Suffolk, VAAugust 25, 2017
Early morning meetings, after that is all door to door sales. You learned to interact with customers and inventory prediction. Managers are always there to help you. Everybody is friendly and helpful. The hardest part is working 70 hours a week on commission. The most enjoyable was everything, but the hours.
Salesman Job great only if you are single!
RSR Driver (Former Employee) –  Washington StateAugust 25, 2017
Start at 9-10am and finish the day between 8-11pm and this is Monday thru Friday. At least we had the weekends off to sleep. I learned how to read customers so I could sell them more product. Management kept us informed of our goals. Our team tried to help each other out. Long hours each day of the week made it hard to have a life outside of work. Talking with all the customers each day.
Pros
Selling Ice Cream
Cons
Extremely Long Hours.
Too many hours
Outside Route Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, NYAugust 24, 2017
Some days were 8am to 1130pm. Was "salary for 8 but worked 15.5 hrs. Was told when your just sitting in the truck your not really working. If I'm not at home I need to be paid for my time. Did have a commission plus base setup
Pros
Freedom to work territory
Cons
Never home to see family
Productive work environment
Route Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Tualatin, ORAugust 21, 2017
Deliver ordered frozen food products to customers according to the route manifest. Hours can be long depending on the day. Physical job as you get in and out of the truck and pull product.
Pros
Sales experience
Cons
The management and some of the office personnel were not good to work with.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Orion, ILAugust 18, 2017
I worked for ORKIN for fourteen and one half years. The First eight went fine but then the branch manager started to get lazy. All he was concerned about was his bonuses. We could of had a sales manager who was in charge with sale and training for sale but our manager decided that I should do this also. Consequently I was changed to being a commercial sales technician. That's when I started looking for other employment and found Terminix.
Pros
I could use the company truck for my personal use.
Cons
I had zero help from my branch manager.
Do not see how they are still in business
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Hobart, WI 54313August 18, 2017
The hours are long, the clients are few, and frankly who really wants to buy overpriced frozen pizza, seeing that everybody still sees you as an ice cream truck
Very stressful job
Route Manager (Former Employee) –  Hammond, LAAugust 17, 2017
Very stressful job and long hours and definitely will get burnout. There was some unfair business practices going on in the company between Supervisor and employees.
Too many hours
OUTSIDE SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Bedford, VAAugust 17, 2017
Schwans is not a good place to work, in my opinion. Too many long hours and not enough balance of life and family compared to the amount of hours worked.
Pros
Free dinners when I stayed overnight
Cons
Poor hours, management and co-workers
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  MichiganAugust 16, 2017
The hours for warehouse employees are not that great. Supposed to be 2am to 8am, but rarely do you actually work that long. Managers expect you to do more than your job description includes, expected to drive to other depots on short notice with your own vehicle and fuel. No benefits for part time employees, it becomes your issue when a delivery driver doesn't have enough product even if they never requested extra. Minimal opportunities for advancement in the company. Very little paid time off.
Pros
Decent hourly wages
Cons
No health-care for part time, poor management, very little job security
Great people to work with at a leading, growing company
Process Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Florence, KYAugust 15, 2017
I had a wonderful experience as a process engineering intern. My manager was great by being extremely helpful, explaining things clearly, and empowering me with responsibility. The plant operators were mostly easy to work with and willing to lend a hand and answer any questions. The company is growing in profits exponentially under the new CEO.
Pros
Free pizza every three weeks, good people
Cons
Employees pushed hard (but, not really a con depending on your perspective)
Terrible! Run away
AREA MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Barstow, MDAugust 11, 2017
There is no work life balance. The corporate staff have no idea what truly happens in the field, yet daily make decisions that directly impact the work done in the field. The leadership has no grasp of what their people do or how, and set ridiculous, unachievable expectations. By far, the worst experience of my life.
Drivers work so hard
New Customer Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZAugust 10, 2017
I wasn't a driver but I do know that driers work very hard and lots of hours. Sales was a hard job because he food is high prices. The mgt team was really back back them. I hope that changed.
Pros
a pay check
Stable employment
Route Sales (Current Employee) –  ArkansasAugust 10, 2017
In an economy where job security isn't a guarantee, Schwans offers a great deal. Show up to do your job and no worries. Autonomy is a big deal here. Go month or 2 without seeing my ASM. But, we communicate frequently via telephone. Downside is if you are left with a bad route, you make less and are gone more. Many days I begin at 2 or 3 am and get back at 2 or 3 pm.
Pros
Stability, Autonomy
Cons
Long Work hours, lack of advancement opportunities
hours are horrible
Route Sales Representative in training (Former Employee) –  Pueblo, COAugust 9, 2017
Hours into the night, pay is good and the customers are great. Manager had no idea that he was to be there for his staff and not complain constantly about having to do so.
Working for Schwans Food
Route Manager (Former Employee) –  Manassas, VAAugust 8, 2017
My typical day would start around 6 am. One of the better aspects
of my time there was learning to deal with a wide variety of customers, witch could be challenging t times. One part I did not particularly like was I would leave for work & my family would be sleeping & I would come home & they would be sleeping. The other was their creed,"We are a family oriented company", if you ask any driver they meant the customers family not ours. Its a great place to work if your a single person & like long hours daily.
Cold
Class B Transport Driver (Former Employee) –  Roseburg, ORAugust 7, 2017
Working in a freezer unit pulling orders for sales trucks at -40 below , Learned how to tell when hypothermia was about to set in. Food and more food is a great deal of what you see in typical day. The hardest part of the job was to try and stay warm. The most enjoyable time was when the manager would cook new on special items from the sales line and we would be able to do a taste test.
Pros
Management Sample tasting
Cons
Freezing
no work life balance
Route Manager (Former Employee) –  Hartville, OHAugust 6, 2017
Interaction with customers was great. Made a lot of great friends. IF you don't make a sale you don't make no money. It's all commision with no guarantee. Absolutely no work life balance. If you don't marry the job and live it every day, you will not make any money. It's a good starter job for someone starting out and single, with no kids.
Pros
Cons
no work life balance, poor pay.
Production
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 4, 2017
Poor management. Comptroller only wants cheap and don't care about safty
Osha violations and no fire alarms.
Poor training and issues with food safty
Pros
Cons
Alot
Great Company, Horrible Job
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Obetz, OHAugust 4, 2017
Company is great. Product is excellent. Working for the company is extremely stressful. Hours were always supposed to be cut shorter and weren't. Isn't a great place to stay employed if you expect to spend any time with your family. Customers were awesome.
Pros
Benefits, Discounts
Cons
Hours, Not enough family time

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Schwan Food Company. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5