The Schwan Food Company Employee Reviews

Not a family business anymore
Route Sales Representative / Sales Trainer (Former Employee) –  Candler, NC 28715July 28, 2016
I used to work for this company years ago when it was family owned and operated, now it is public and the CEO is not a Schwan, It shows because they have lost the family atmosphere. Make good sales you make good money however factor in the 13-14 hr days and your hourly rate doesn't even equal min wage.
Pros
Solo
Cons
Too many hours
Lack of work life balance.
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Sierra Vista, AZJuly 21, 2016
This company changed the pay scale several times while I was there so the more I sold the less I made. The work life balance with small children was difficult to say the least....It fed my family.
Good job with small town living
Inventory Planner (Former Employee) –  Marshall, MNJuly 19, 2016
Decent pay, but you need to like small town living or you won't stay around very long. Excellent co-workers. Those that grew up in local small towns are the best assets this company has. Those that come from big town USA have started to hurt this company over the years. It is no longer a place where people like to work. Sad deal after losing the family run business to big time corporation thinking.
Pros
Excellent Co-workers
Cons
Breaks are not acceptable or you become non-promotable.
Good place for a start
Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Florence, KYJuly 17, 2016
Pay is average or on the lower side. Raises are next to impossible to get. They are a good place to establish yourself in a new field like maintenance.
Pros
Stable work
Cons
New managment is stripping benefits
Very stressful place to work.
Delivery Route Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJuly 14, 2016
Arrive at Depot at 10.00 am , prepare manifest and truck for the day.
Deliver food to approximately 60+ customers and return to the Depot at approximately 9.30 pm.
The best part of the job is increasing sales and the hardest part is the long hours.
I have learned how to be extremely efficient with my time management in order to get to see all the customers for the day.
Pros
Reasonable pay.
Cons
Unhealthy work pressures.
Hard work but profitable
CAR/ Route Builder and Fundraiser builder (Former Employee) –  Harrison, ARJuly 11, 2016
14 hrs. on the clock but expected to do more. Ran routes, built customer base, built fundraisers. There are still men in the world that don't want women in the work place. Management changed after I was hired and caused me to get hurt. Climbing on equipment that was not properly installed with railing to get product for customer. The food was good.
Pros
money
Cons
no breaks, no lunch, bad equipment
What I Learned
Manager, Category Management (Current Employee) –  Bentonville, ARJuly 10, 2016
Team environment. Acquired IRI experience. Some lack of Management support. Pay and benefits are in line with other companies. Hard work. Fast paced.
Demanding schedule
Blast 6 Machine Operator Level 2 and Lead (Current Employee) –  Salina, KSJuly 9, 2016
Over the years working with Schwans I have learned many skills. I have grown since I started. The schedule is very demanding and I don't have time for much outside of work. The other employees here are great and it is a very diverse company. I do enjoy working here even with all the manual labor that is required. The hours however, are hard to accept.
No work/life balance
Route Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Green Bay, WIJuly 6, 2016
The average work day for me involves punching in between 830-9am. I pre-trip my assigned vehicle to ensure all the lights work, the wipers are in good condition, etc. I then depart the depot to make the rounds of my scheduled stops in their respective time windows. Down time is to be spent developing the route and getting new customers. Average number of stops per day is about 35, but as many as 50 or more are not uncommon. Between the drive to the first customer and the drive from the last back to the depot after fueling is usually over 12 hours. I do this five days a week; or six if there is a holiday I was given off.
Pros
full benefits, decent pay, employee discount
Cons
long hours, corporate leadership compentency questions
Awesome place to work
Master Production Scheduler/ Accounting Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Florence, KY 41042July 5, 2016
this was a fun place to work and free pizza. I enjoyed going to work everyday nasdfnajklsdnfjansd;jlfnajklsdnvklandfklgnaklsdnfklnsklvnaklfnvklancklvnasklfgnklasfv
Pros
food
A day in a factory
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, TXJune 29, 2016
the temp is always below 50 degrees. theres no advancement if you dont have a college degree. when you have alot of people that knows more than the supervisor does, it kinda makes it hard to do your job. The company would rather hire someone with a degree thats doesnt know nothing than to hire someone whose been there and has experience in keeping the plant running. lots of favoritism in the HR department if you're asian.
Pros
benefits are great, hours are there
Cons
lack of money, if you dont speak vitnamese...you lose with HR
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 27, 2016
I love the actual job! It is difficult work hours. Perks are awesome and pay is decent it is the 12 hour days for salary pay that make it hard. The work environment is positive and that is a great benefit.
Used to be a great place to work
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJune 25, 2016
When I started with Schwans almost 17 years ago, the company cared about their Sales people.
I was able to move up and use what I knew about sales and people to be very effective. My depot made profit every year that I was Sales Manager.

Today, I wouldn't recommend any one to work at Schwans. CEO's and Division managers are hired from outside the company, and they don't care about their employees.

Upper management dictates policy then blames frontline managers because they don't have enough integrity to take responsibility for their actions.

This was not what Marvin Schwans had in mind for the company.
Pros
None that i can think of anymore
Cons
Long hours, no work life balance, pay is capped, no upper advancement
Fun Job
Route Sales/ Certified Depot Trainer (Current Employee) –  Owatonna, mnJune 19, 2016
Very rewarding Job, fun Culture ... The customers are what makes the Job great.... Hours can be long
Huge turnover, not what it used to be....
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  NJJune 13, 2016
-RUN RUN RUN, something big will happen soon...They are hiring everyone from FRITO LAY..CEO, VP, Regional Mgr, Area Mgr ALL FROM FRITO LAY....Would not be surprised if the company is sold soon...Sales are bad and on the decline but they make everything look good on paper...
Pros
Cons
low pay, bad insurance, low morale, do not promote within
Plants are a great place to work.
Logistics (Former Employee) –  TexasJune 12, 2016
The local manufacturing plants are excellent stand alone businesses. Corporate staff is disconnected, causing good management staff to leave. The hourly staff are amazing and always engage in the plant's projects.
badly run company
Route sales rep (Former Employee) –  Concord, NHJune 7, 2016
not as advertised. tell you its 10 you work 14, its mostly commission and the routes are terrible, the food is to expensive and cold dooring is required.
This job was not for me
Food Delievery Driver (Former Employee) –  Fremont, MIJune 2, 2016
lots of upper problems, the management kept sending me to a route that was putting me over on my hours for DOT even though I had expressed my problems to the manager he would not switch the route.
Pros
good money
Cons
long hours, not family freindly
Weigh the pros/cons
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Carlisle, PAJune 2, 2016
While I really enjoyed the travel and meeting the customers, their pets, their children, neighbors and friends...I HATED the depot. The hours are terrible. They tell you that you can make your own schedule, but the reality is that in order to make your own schedule, you need to earn AT LEAST X amount per day. If you haven't made that, then you need to stay out until you do or your drive time runs out for the day. Some routes are easier because there are a lot of customers ready and willing to buy in that area. Some routes are terrible for varying reasons. Maybe the customers were treated poorly. Maybe it's a low-income area. Maybe the customers are far and few between. Unfortunately for me, I lived a fair distance away from my nearest depot, so I had to drive over an hour each way. The entire time that I worked there, I was on 5 1/2-6 hours of sleep a night, sometimes less. A lot of gossip there, too. Petty gossip. While I miss my traveling and enjoying the visuals, I'm glad to be gone. They manipulated me and they don't care about your well-being.
Pros
Travel, commissions, customers
Cons
Poor management, gossip, extremely long work days
Productive and and laid back
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Longview, TXMay 31, 2016
Gas and load trucks then go home
I learned nothing on this job
Management good people
Co-workers good people
The hardest part of the job is nothing
The most enjoyable part is everything
Pros
the people and the job
Cons
i will never be full time and have full benefits

2.5