The Schwan Food Company

The Schwan Food Company Employer Reviews

Not organized
New Customer Sales Specialist (Current Employee), ChicagolandApril 7, 2014
Pros: work from home
Cons: leadership
This is a great company with a great product! The position I held was new and management continued to change the position guidelines and expectations.
Busy but rewarding
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Carlisle, PaApril 3, 2014
Pros: being on your own
Cons: worked every day
Typical day was servicing an average of about 8 to 10 stores.
I learned that as long as you did your job. It rewarded you.
Co-workers were easy to work with. Hardest part of the job is that we pretty much worked every day. Every day you met new people,
challenging
Depot Sales Trainer/Route Sales Rep (Current Employee), Mount Pleasant, TXMarch 29, 2014
Cons: small base salary if you meet 3 tiers of criteria, plus commision which is % of average of daily sales
long hours and hard on family life. 12-14 hours a day. lots of driving
Schwan's is a great place to work, it very steady easy work, just not enough hours .
Material Handler (Current Employee), longview, TXMarch 26, 2014
I go in to work about 9pm, two or three nights a week, get the load sheets, suit up for the freezer, go in pull the product off the shelves needed for the order. Keep the shelves stocked with product, come out of freezer, count the product so that we make sure we have everything on the order. Then we load the trucks. Once a week we have a semi that – more... delivers product that we unload and put the product on the shelves in the freezer. I've learned that the freezer and trucks must stay at -degrees in order for the product to stay froze.Our management at the depot is really great. Anything you ask them they try to get anything you need for your job, or if your having trouble or needing something done about your check, insurance, or anything else they try to get it fixed for you as soon as possible. My co-workers are awesome, they do anything for me if there is something I needed help with. We work really great as a team, all pitching in to help one another. The hardest part of my job is being the one unlocking the freezer and going in first and the cold air blows on me. The most enjoyable time is telling stories of our weekends or back when we were younger. – less
wonderful place to work
Maintenance Engineer (Former Employee), Deer Park, TXMarch 25, 2014
make sure all refrigeration techs are doing their job

all employees were like friends, everyone got along great

plant closed
Good co-workers
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee), Tupelo, MSMarch 19, 2014
Pros: i was employed, good supervisor, good wages
Cons: no opportunity for advancement
A typical day for me consisted of screening job applicants, discussing/explaining the job the details of the open positions. Occassionally I would listen to unhappy customers vent and try to resolve their issue with their delivery person or product. Once a week I ran sales reports. Once a year I planned, organized their annual awards banquet. I worked – more... in a nice office by myself most of the time. My supervisor was the regional sales manager so he was gone most of the time visiting other locations. There was no advancement opportunities at the local level. – less
Loved working with my customers and their families.
Route Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), New Albany, INMarch 17, 2014
A different experience everyday. Your job and your income is what you make it. What you put into it, and just how successful it can be. Your customers welcome you into their homes, they trust you, and they care about you, they make the work, long hours, the job worth it.
Great place to meet new people
CUSTOMER SERVICE MANAGER (Former Employee), Riverside, CAMarch 12, 2014
Pros: customers become friends
Cons: long hours and tough to hit sales goals
Great place to work, fun environment, everyday is a new challenge.
overall a Good place to work
Territory Sales Leader (Current Employee), High Springs, FLMarch 12, 2014
Pros: good management
Cons: hours
Good place to work. Start at about 7am work till 9pm at night. I learned a lot of great sales techniques
Great Compensation, but no balance
Route Sales Representative (Current Employee), Prestonsburg, KYMarch 3, 2014
If you enjoy working with the public, and don't have a home life this is a great opportunity. A representative will average about 14 hours a day going from door to door selling products. Due to the fact that the products are high quality foods the job is not difficult. You work independently most days, and the hardest part of the job is dealing with – more... stress of dealing with corporate red tape. This company tends to stand in it own way. You will get to know your customers, and become part of their lives. Bring families together while making a living isn't so bad. – less
worse position I have every had
Territory Sales Leader (Former Employee), anywhere, USAFebruary 24, 2014
Cons: everything associated with schwan's
As a manager I was always short staffed and hiring people was nearly impossible. I offered 12-13 hour days for a base pay of $100 and commissions. 40% of the routes only produced 9-11 dollars in commission per day. My employees worked their tails off to try to get new customers but it was hard to sell them on the idea of buying over-priced processed – more... food from a truck. When I was short-staffed I was responsible for covering the open routes and managing the depot which correlated into 16 hour days. My home life was in shambles when I left because I was never home and the constant job threats because you came up short on sales stressed me out so I wasn't a joy to be around when I was home. Schwan's chews you up and spits you out with a kick in the bottom when you get burned out from the hours and can longer do it anymore. The benefits they offered use to be good but of course like the pay structure that they have changed four times, the benefits changed for the worse also. The health insurance they offer is pitiful. Please, Please run away from the company if you value your family and sanity. – less
worst company in america
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee), Fremont, CAFebruary 12, 2014
exploitive, poor treatment, unattainable goals, constant pressure, poor equipment, 70 percent turnover. company going downhill fast.
Schwan's can be a fun job for the right person
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee), Maple Grove, MNFebruary 8, 2014
Pros: great products
Cons: very long hours and very demandiing
I worked for Schwan’s over a 7 year period. I started out as a builder for the Waconia MN Depot and was very successful and then transferred to the Hampton IA Depot. Building for Schwan’s was a two-step process, my first day would be to walk the streets knocking on doors, introducing myself and asking if they would be interested in taking a catalog – more... and allowing me to return in a few days with a truck and see if they wanted to buy anything. My second time through the neighborhood would be with a truck and I would endeavor to contact them again and ask for an order.

Once I started working my own routes, my day would start at the depot, getting ready for my day and unlocking the truck. I would then head out on my route making sure I stopped at every customer who was due that day. I would let them know what specials we had and ask them for an order and then suggest any other products I thought might interest them. I would pull the order collect their payment and leave a sticker for the next time I would return. This would be repeated throughout the day. My average day would contain anywhere from 55 to 80 stops. In-between times while waiting for customers to be home, I would try building to add customers to my route.

At the end of the day, when every customer had been stopped at I would return to the depot, lock up the truck and complete my deposit and head for home.

I would get to the depot on average at 9:30 in the morning and leave the Depot anywhere between 10:00 and 10:30in the evening.

As I said, Schwan’s can be a good job for the right person, but they need to know that the hours are very long and the work can be demanding. – less
Sales (Former Employee), MinnesotaFebruary 4, 2014
The people I worked with over the years were outstanding. The customers are also fantastic.
Great career but too many hours
Location General Manager (Former Employee), Richmond, VaJanuary 26, 2014
Best management ever. Horrible work life balance but rewarding. Fun job.
Productive employees can be profitable.
Route Manager (Current Employee), Graham, TXJanuary 26, 2014
12 working hours per day average. 100-150 miles per day driving. Meeting 50-70 customers per day. Presenting about 300 top quality frozen food items for sale. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with my customers and maintaining long lasting relationships. The hardest part of the job is the long hours spent away for home and family activities.
Extremly Long Work Hours
Route Sales Representative (Current Employee), Canyon, TXJanuary 22, 2014
I love meeting new people. This and my manager are the best parts of the job. These are extremely long work hours and I don't get to spend time with my wife or kids except on the weekends.
I would recommd this employment for all people
Supv. (Current Employee), Salina, KSJanuary 17, 2014
Pros: the people
Cons: the people
good place to work, people are mostly good, stress is the hardest part of the job
Are you ready for 60+ Hours per week w/ no holidays/sick time/overtime?
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee), Elk Grove, CAJanuary 15, 2014
Pros: customers, co workers, discounted food, benefits
Cons: hours, pay, management
I worked as a Customer Service Manager for Schwans Home Food Service for two years. I would leave my house at 830am and get home at 12:00am, five days per week, and yes that is a TYPICAL day at work, not a long day. Schwans has a 90% + turnover rate and one ride along will tell you why.

When I worked there we had a base salary, and a month after I – more... left, it went back to 10% commission. My co workers were working the 60 hour weeks for less than 100 per day.

There's currently a Class Action Lawsuit against Schwans in California for seven different labor law/employee mistreatment charges/DOT violations. Even if you worked there two weeks, you need to call and get your name added to the suit, so you can get compensated for the hours of your home life you gave up trying to make Schwans their money.

Want to eat in that 12 to 16 hour workday? Don't go an hour without showing a sale, or you'll be verbally warned and then written up. Doesn't matter if you went to three/five/ten customers if they don't buy anything. Never happened to me but was threatened. Was told to eat my lunch on the way to more customers.

Schwans could care less about their customers; they see them as how much they spend and want them to spend more, not about providing good service. Anyone who worked at Schwans more than a month is a diligent and hardworking person, hands down.

My customers and coworkers were the only reason I stayed as along as I did. Many of the customers were elderly, and they appreciated seeing you and were genuine people. Many told me they didn't even need the food, but they knew how hard I worked to provide them with consistent service.

Management was laughable at best. If you can sell, Schwans believes you can magically manage people as well. Managers care about three things: Sales, Sales, and Sales. They get a bonus if all of the CSMs sell enough, and you WILL be asked how much you are going to sell and how many new customers you're going to get, everyday.

I learned that Schwans was the outright worst place to work in my 15 year work history. They're hiring now, and they will be until the day they go bankrupt from lawsuits or poor sales. Do yourself a favor, and look elsewhere or go back to school and pursue something different in life. – less
manager does not care about safety. Define safe by choice for me.
Route Sales Representative (Current Employee), Green Bay Wi.January 15, 2014
Pros: i am so mad right now i don't see any
Cons: bad managment, needs to be taken care of
I just drove thru 40 mile per hour winds, 10 inches of snow, for the last 8 hours on back country roads with open farm fields, drifts were over 4 feet high, I called my manager to ask him if i could bust time windows early to get done and not lose the 50 dpllars i work so hard for and he said he will not pay for a DSO if i dont hit the sales goal for – more... the day.Guess what that decision did for him, i will no longer stand by and let stupid decisions like that which there are many from my manager, put my life in danger, be SAFE BY CHOICE , I can promise you this someone will have to explain that decision to me way higher up and give me a full definition of what safe by choice means, I am the one who is out there in this weather so when i call to ask to break time windows for safety reasons you need to trust the RSR'S decision, I know that out of my 12 co-workers all of them feel the same way, we all need to report this so it changes, This incident will not happen again, i have never came home from work and been more upset then last night, – less

About The Schwan Food Company

We Make Food. It's what we do and we do it well. From home to stores, restaurants and more, our products are everywhere you – Read more

The Schwan Food Company Photos