The Schwan Food Company Employee Reviews

lots of hours
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Blackfoot, IDMarch 31, 2016
lots of micro managing, lots of hours for the that was offered, upper management didnt want to listen to your suggestions, it was frustrating working for them when I was first hired I was told to treat this as my own business, now it is definitely the uppers business
Company re-organizing Marketing
Route Driver/Sales (Former Employee) –  Johns Island, SCJanuary 26, 2016
Once a wonderful place to work. New management has faulted with new sales direction. Customer service is no longer priority. Shame as their food product is quite good, at-home service is appreciated and the brand well known. New Delivery fee is $4.00 unless orders are placed on-line. Result of this recent change has cost the company the loss of 5000 customers a month. Turnover rate of Route Drivers in 2015 was 70%. Mr.Schwan, rest his sole, would be gravely disappointed with the new culture
Professional and room to grow
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Madison, ALMay 30, 2016
The day to day work is daunting and no two days are exactly alike so it forces you to stay on your feet and problem solve. Time frames are a must and accuracy is key.
Pros
Professional growth
Great
Sanitation Operator Lead (Former Employee) –  Florence, KYSeptember 27, 2016
I am honored to say that I was a member of the Walmart family. During my time with the company I was able to develop multiple transferrable skills that I use today.
productive work place
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Cranberry, PAMarch 20, 2016
I just started this job in feb. and the first month every day a valued employee was late and there for we are alway's bihind and cant take any breaks because of it, I realy wanted to quit then but i have bills to pay so i decided to stay until i find another job.
Pros
work
Cons
short breaks
a bad company
Route Manager/ Trainer (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVSeptember 4, 2016
i would not work there again long hours and the upper management treats you really bad. the hours arfe really long and the pay is quiet bad. the pay use to be ok.
Great job for a easy in and out work day
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Lewisville, TXMay 17, 2016
awesome job culture, easy work. Management more than willing to train for advancement. co-workers are helpful and fun to work with.
Pros
again easy in and out work day
Cons
hope you like the cold
fun place to work, bad life to balance
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Lino Lakes, MNMay 30, 2016
fun place to work, if you do not have a family hours are nine to nine usually if you want to be successful no relaxation, always in a hurry even when your doing well
What I Learned
Manager, Category Management (Current Employee) –  Bentonville, ARJuly 10, 2016
Team environment. Acquired IRI experience. Some lack of Management support. Pay and benefits are in line with other companies. Hard work. Fast paced.
Nice company to work for, great co workers and meet new people
Route Driver (Former Employee) –  Nesbit, MS 38651February 13, 2016
I loved this job because you were able to get out and meet new people and make new contacts as part of the job. Work Started at 7:30 AM and when you sales were met you were though with the day unless you wanted to stay and meet new customers
Pros
working and meeting new people
Good Tasting Food
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Decatur, INMarch 13, 2016
Good coworkers, good tasting food, long hours low pay, old business model that is dying,, best part of job is talking to customers and working on your own as your own boss
Pros
free food to sample
Cons
long hours for the pay, little home life balance, poor management
Schwans
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Jackson, OHSeptember 17, 2016
There are not many jobs out there where you get to go to your friends houses and talk to them, sell food to them and make a decent wage doing so.
If you are not sales orientated, this job ix not for you.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Greenville, WIApril 11, 2016
Some days are longer drive time with not much time to deal with appropriate department personnel.Felt like i was time constrained.
Pros
Free product when available.
good job
Material Handler Level 1 (Former Employee) –  Fremont, MIMay 21, 2016
its a good job for those who can work 3rd shift. I couldn't but that's just me. everyone was great to work with. I was only there for a short time but they were great.
Pros
benifits
Cons
3rd shift
Good for some, not for others
ROUTE SALES REPRESENTATIVE/DELIVERY DRIVER (Former Employee) –  UtahJanuary 13, 2016
Hours approximately 10:30 AM to 9 PM M-F. Not enough home time for me. Short weekend. Does come with complete benefits package.
Pros
Get to see customers every 2 weeks. Get to work on your own during the day.
Cons
Ever changing company, Trying to make job more consistent but likely to continue making changes every year or so, Inconvenient hours
badly run company
Route sales rep (Former Employee) –  Concord, NHJune 7, 2016
not as advertised. tell you its 10 you work 14, its mostly commission and the routes are terrible, the food is to expensive and cold dooring is required.
Pros
Good manager and co-workers.
customer service rep/ (Current Employee) –  Greenville, DSCJanuary 3, 2016
A typical day begins at 4:30 am meeting the retail food delivery to be merchandised on the shelf. It's all about service and a partnership with the retailer.
I work with great co-workers who work as a team to separate ourselves from the competition.
The days can sometimes get long but at the end of the day there is satisfaction that we have given it our best.
Pros
Free pizza and pies.
Cons
Waking up at 3:00 am.
company is going out of business, pay was ok but not worth the 14 hour days
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMarch 7, 2016
company is going out of business, pay was ok but not worth the 14 hour days. poor management. delivery trucks were not serviced properly and often broke down. were not safe to drive.
Weigh the pros/cons
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Carlisle, PAJune 2, 2016
While I really enjoyed the travel and meeting the customers, their pets, their children, neighbors and friends...I HATED the depot. The hours are terrible. They tell you that you can make your own schedule, but the reality is that in order to make your own schedule, you need to earn AT LEAST X amount per day. If you haven't made that, then you need to stay out until you do or your drive time runs out for the day. Some routes are easier because there are a lot of customers ready and willing to buy in that area. Some routes are terrible for varying reasons. Maybe the customers were treated poorly. Maybe it's a low-income area. Maybe the customers are far and few between. Unfortunately for me, I lived a fair distance away from my nearest depot, so I had to drive over an hour each way. The entire time that I worked there, I was on 5 1/2-6 hours of sleep a night, sometimes less. A lot of gossip there, too. Petty gossip. While I miss my traveling and enjoying the visuals, I'm glad to be gone. They manipulated me and they don't care about your well-being.
Pros
Travel, commissions, customers
Cons
Poor management, gossip, extremely long work days
Productive and fun workplace
Route Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Marshall, MNMarch 13, 2016
A job where you use both your mental and physical abilities
Co-workers are top notch
Hardest part of job is the end of the day
Most enjoyable part of the day is the begining
Pros
begining of the day
Cons
end of the day

2.5