The Schwan Food Company Employee Reviews

Found 1,128 reviews matching the search
Good pay but long hours.
Route Manager (Former Employee) –  Cozad, NEJune 4, 2017
The good part of the job was your communication with the customers. On a good day you saw 70-75 customers. Another good part of the job was the compensation you received for the job. The bad part of the job was the hours you worked from 8:00 in the morning until 10:30-11:00 at night.
Pros
customers
Cons
hours worked
Loved my customers and the job NOT the company
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  WisconsinJune 2, 2017
I worked here nearly 7 years. Being your own boss and managing your own day was great is what attracted me to the company. I was hired originally on a straight salary. After a year, it went to base plus increasing commission. I made a lot of money. Then July of 2016 they changed to a higher base but lower commission. This only benefited the weak sales people who never could sell and cried that they had to put in 12 hours or more per day.

The trucks broke down frequently. Management kept you out of the loop. When Schwan's more than doubled the delivery fee and expected every customer to preorder online is when I started losing customers. No customers, no sales, no commissions. When Schwan's stopped letting us manage our own routes when we knew customers were home our sales also took a beating. Corporate in Minnesota thought they knew our customers and our job better than us. After a while us drivers just went through the motions of getting the routes done so we could get home.

I lost so much interest in the job that I finally gave my 2 week notice.

If you want a good paying job, can be a sheep, don't mind 10 hour days for $145 a day and 3% commission, can get to 50-60 stops (once you get to your route city) in a 10 hour day, don't mind making up holiday routes on your Saturday off, being belittled by your manager who's getting screamed at by his boss who is getting screamed at by his boss, but enjoy building relationships with your customers and somewhat being your own boss then I would certainly recommend Schwan's.
Pros
Self-managed, great customers, good money, full benefits
Cons
Had to make up holidays, 10-13 hour days, company changed procedures often
Find something else
Route Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  ArkansasJune 2, 2017
Want you to work 10-14 hours for no more pay. Communication is horrible, trucks are hunks of junk so get ready to break down, Bosses never answer the phone, if you ask for something from your mgr, be ready to ask for it repeatedly. Won't let you manage your route such as making changes. Schedule any appointments or anything like that on your off days, unless you give months of notice in advance.
Pros
Pays bills
Cons
No life, long hours, poor communication and management
not for every one
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Saint Augusta, MNJune 2, 2017
The main thing that I loved about the Job was my customers. More like friends. Be prepared to work long hours and if your married DON'T DO IT. No balance with family LIFE AND WORK. I worked an average of 13hrs daily and was burnt out but I still had a mission to complete for the company. I f you don't long drives then go for it ... But fucus fucus fucus.
Pros
Good benefits and pay and great customers!
Cons
Hours drive time and management
hard work
delivery schwans (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJune 1, 2017
this job wasnt for me. the hours to start seemed like 60 plus. going door to door selling high priced store products to people on low budgets seemed wrong. long days hard work.
Pros
fair pay
Cons
long days hard work
Long hours, revolving door of managers
Route Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Tualatin, ORMay 31, 2017
Have to work 12+ hours a day to make any sort of money. The company doesnt keep its promises. Management is shady, and only care about their own numbers and success. Pay is and compensation is low for how long you spend working.
Nice Daily Rate
Route Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLMay 30, 2017
Work-Life balance is not there.Your superiors are the ones that tell you how to sell (the ones that sit behind a desk and have never been on a route). No incentive to increase sales.
Pros
Base Pay is good
Cons
No off time
very good
ROUTE MANAGER DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Clio, MIMay 30, 2017
I had a established route where I would sell frozen food to the customers and when we had a new product we upselled.I would enter the product into a hand held computer and take and receive money transactions.
Pros
great products i still beleive in
Work Relations
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 29, 2017
Working for Schwans Consumer Brands taught me several skill sets on a daily basis. I worked with co-workers and with store managers and receivers on a daily basis. I learned a common knowledge of communications and work related activities. The hardest part of my job was the fact that I was not able to spend enough time with the family because of working 12 to 15 hours a day. I did enjoy the country routes and the people.
Pros
Communication with the people in the field
Cons
Hours
Was a fun place to work.
Customer Service Internet Response Team (Former Employee) –  Marshall, MNMay 24, 2017
Schwan's was a very fun place to work. I was able to meet a lot of new people. A typical day consisted of, answering customer emails regarding their service or simply submitting orders. Taking transferred calls from Customer Service with customer that have questions regarding the website. I was able to learn a lot of new computer skills. Management was very good about allowing us to learn new jobs so that we are cross trained in different areas. I was able to be cross trained at the Support Help Desk, taking calls from route drivers that needed assistance or just needed their routes rescheduled. Then we would put in a request for out out-bound team to make the calls to the customers informing them of the change. There was always enough variety to keep us learning everyday. The hardest part of my job would have to be dealing with the call volume decrease, and our hours would get cut. The most enjoyable part of my job was actually feeling like I was good at what I was doing and actually making a difference in people's lives.
Pros
Work flexiblity
Cons
Cutback in hours
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Benson, NCMay 24, 2017
SCHWANS is a fast pace job that I enjoy working at and have no problem with the people I work with. Schwans have very good benefits I don't make 40 hours often that's the only thing that is wrong.
Cons
Not making 40 hours
Short meeting every morning. Not much support after that..
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCMay 24, 2017
Company going through several changes. Sales were declining. Looking at several ways to try and improve. Very unstable work environment. Always scared of layoffs.
Pros
Good products with employee pricing
Cons
Lack of service to customers resulted in loss of sales..
Fun place to work
Customer Service Manager Builder (Former Employee) –  Clio, MIMay 23, 2017
I really enjoyed working for Schwans. The salary was the best ever. The benefits are great. I loved meeting new people every day. The training classes are fun.
Get a good route
Location General Manager / Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  LaGrange, GAMay 22, 2017
work your route and you will be successful. once you establish a route and get the customers you can get to buy, your days will be more balanced if you think you will skate by without working, then you will be without a job
it was okay
Sanitation (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 22, 2017
I like to word hard so it keep me busy

the only thing I did not like was when the weather change it get too hot or it get too cold

I learn how to do different type of jobs

I like the people I work with hard working and team work
I enjoyed this job immensly, but the hours were excessive
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Show Low, AZMay 14, 2017
I enjoyed this job, I saw new places I had not been. Built an additional route for one of the other Managers. Enjoyed being outdoors and moving about. Winters were rough with driving most of North Eastern Arizona. The hours needed to work were excessive and you did not get any paid holidays.
Pre sell red baron (Former Employee) –  Bend, ORMay 12, 2017
Definitely going down hill. I was terminated over a "misunderstanding" I have 3 baby's and a wife staying home with our little ones. On the job over 5 years and was let go no warning
Pros
Good manager
Cons
No job security
The job requirements constantly changed.
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, ILMay 12, 2017
Level of stress kept increasing just to reach certain amounts of sales. Between 8-10 hours a day on clock without any pay. Trucks were aging and breaking down a lot, this affected your start time at times.
route sales
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORMay 11, 2017
Here you are at work by 8 am and you work till you are done. It is a great position for young individuals who don't have kids yet. You will not get off work before 7pm and most likely will be working till 10pm.
Pros
healthcare, discounts
Cons
Long hours, outside in all weather conditions
Best place to work ever. I worked there 10 years
Depot Manager and customer service manager (Former Employee) –  Coeur d'Alene, ID and Idaho fallsMay 11, 2017
Best place to work ever. I worked there 10 years and advanced to management! I loved every part of it, and the benefits are the best I have seen. You do need to carry to the door and visit all the customers to make it work! Before management I worked 4 long days a week and made over 55,000 dollars a year!
Pros
Almost everything
Cons
When I worked the life/work balance want so good, but it's better today!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Schwan Food Company. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5