The Schwan Food Company Employee Reviews in United States

Company trying to make itself relevant again
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZDecember 15, 2015
Company focus on internet sales at the expense of long standing customer base may be detrimental in the short run. Long work hours and forced delivery times on customers regardless of the customer needs discourages both workers and buyers. Change from how customers used to be treated as family will turn the Schwans Home Service business into just another struggling food delivery service.
Pros
Job Autonomy on the road
Cons
Routes envisioned pre-employment never realized after hire
Bad place to work
Route relief driver (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCDecember 11, 2015
They will expect you to go out of town at any notice. They steady text you and call on your days off. If they call and they need you to go out of town. They expect you to drop everything and go. The pay sucks. Paid by the day. 150 a day
Was a Good Company Years Ago
Route Sales Rep. (Former Employee) –  Sanford, FLDecember 10, 2015
It was my first Sales Job. I built Good Relationships with the Customers at their Homes or Business which increased Sales. I broke Sales Goals most Weeks. Required to Sell the Sales Items which increased your Sales. I was usually the Leader with New Customers. Had fun competing with other Sales Rep's for Sales and other Criteria. Hardest Part was the Long Hours. You loose on average one Customer every Day for many reasons including Moving, Job Terminations, Health, Deaths, College, Divorce etc. If you don't work on building your customer base, it will shrink. Safety is a Big Priority. Management was Unappreciative and Unprofessional. Company has not been stable since Founder died years ago. Corporate said we had only a 30% Retention Rate, so 70% quit or are fired. Sales and Customer Base have shrunk. Closed 50 Depots a few years ago. Changed Catalogs so that many items are no longer in it and other important info is no longer included. I do not recommend working for Schwan's Home Service.
Pros
Work on your own, Insurance, Customers
Cons
Long Days, Compensation Changes Every Year, Management
Fun job, but no work/life balance
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Humboldt, IADecember 6, 2015
Poor communication between management and staff. Company increasing deliver fees which leads to loss of customer base and sales.
Great Place to work for.
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Laurel, DEDecember 1, 2015
Great place to work for..
Flexible schedule to be able to start and finish at the times you need
Nice coworkers
Very family oriented company
Pros
Flexible schedule
Awesome local team/opportunity
Materials Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 23, 2015
Plant personnel are amazing, smart, encouraging and supportive. Corporate is far behind industry standards and unwilling to move forward.
Pros
Plant personnel is amazing and full of experience and culture.
Cons
Corporate culture is disengaged and misogynistic. Strong opinions and experience, especially from female leadership, is not welcomed.
Job is changing
Area Manager (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHNovember 22, 2015
I have built a great team and have turned the Dundee facility around. Made a profit in the first 6 months after losing money for 5 years.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
hours
to many hours
Route Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Missoula, MTNovember 19, 2015
(1) fourteen hours a day. on a route system.
(2) good customer service.
(3) poor management
(4) deadicated teem workers
(5) being away from home.
(6) my customers
Pros
work alone
Cons
hours
Route Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXNovember 18, 2015
A great team building atmosphere that made coming to work enjoyable. Great food made selling easy with a great customer base.
Pros
Great team to be a part of.
Cons
Hours were extremely long
Poor but decent wages
Route Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Helena, MTNovember 16, 2015
The hours are long but the pay is decent. They do reinforce safety over sales, but expect unrealistic goals for your sales for the day. The average day for the new hour system is starting at 10 AM and clocking out by 9 PM, but realistically you start at 9:45 AM and dont get back to the Depot until 8:30 PM and close out your day buy 9:30 PM on a good day.
Pros
Good Wages
Cons
Hours. Managment. Job Security
Enjoyable work atmosphere
Distribution Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Canton, MINovember 16, 2015
Loved the team atmosphere. Though, most of this work was done in a freezer, myself and the other employees enjoyed the work.
Pros
Rewards and Discounts
Cons
Costly Healthcare
Aspects to take with me
Area Manager (Former Employee) –  Raymore, MONovember 16, 2015
Enjoyed working with my employees, but didn't always agree with how I was managed. Company has many good people still working for them, but I feel the direction the company is going is a last ditch effort to save the company.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
lack of support from my supervisor
Great job
Customer Sales Driver (Former Employee) –  Canton, MINovember 15, 2015
Great place to work. The managers out of the Great lakes region are the best within the company in my opinion. You have to have a class b cdl which they train for. Is a great work place with many amazing people to work along side of.
great hours and crew
Sanitation Worker (Former Employee) –  Florence, KYNovember 12, 2015
waiting for the 2nd shift to end so we can hurry up and break down the machines to clean them, I learned to multitask by helping others clean there machines and mine to get the job done fast. the supervisor was great got along with all of them. hung out with the crew after work because we all worked well together. if I had to say the hardest part of the job was when cleaning high up in the air and you could not see where you was moving with the genie boom. the job was done every time with no accidents. the best part of the job was when you can look back on your job after you finish and know that you completed it in time and everything is running smoothly.
Pros
discounted pizzas
Route sales Job
Salesman (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IANovember 12, 2015
The routes are already established but abused. A driver is selling frozen food. some routes are better than others but you are going into areas where there are other route drives in
Even the Wild West was tamed
Depot Sales Trainer, RSR (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHNovember 10, 2015
Long and rewarding time spent with Schwans. Route sales at its finest. Long hours and many miles driven. For those who put the work in you will see results. For those who expect a handout, you will have to look elsewhere.

Pros: Great if you are single
Cons: Sales board on the wall with all numbers visible for all
I really liked my position and everyone I worked with
Sr Human Resources Generalist (Current Employee) –  Marshall, MNNovember 9, 2015
My position is being eliminated. I've been there almost 30 years and have love my job since day one. I started in HR and was promoted up throughout the years. With my current position of Senior Human Resource Generalist.
I enjoy the interaction with the employees, Supervisors and Management. I supported approximately 500+ employees.
The worst part of my job would be terminating employees.
My Department was a fun Department to work in.
The people I worked with were great and supportive - great team!
administrative (Former Employee) –  Marshall, MNNovember 5, 2015
The people I worked with daily grew up with Schwan's and had a real love and passion with the company and truly understood Marvin Schwan's values and direction for the company. Our team cumulatively had 70+ years of experience with the company.
Pros
The history of the company is outstanding!!
Cons
Constant restructures/job security.
Great culture experience, Poor management.
Maintenance Mechanic II (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 4, 2015
Coming in the door I was told on thing only to be given the run around. I started at this company hoping to move up quickly, as far as job advancement. I started as what I thought to be entry level, only to find out that when it was time for the company evaluations, that i was actually doing more. When I asked about it, I was told to talk to the plant manager, and the answers were put on hold. After my 90 day probation with the company I thought to put my skills to use, and apply for a Maintenance position within the company, that comes with an increase in pay. I got the position and was trained for almost 4 months, without an increase in pay. Following my training I was told that this position had not yet been filled, but I was made to believe that there was a greater use for my skills elsewhere, so I began training for several other positions, that had no mechanical usage. After going "training", I settled into what I like to call a floater, showed up to work, with no schedule or supervisor, just doing things that needed to be done, or filling in for those whom have called out. Finally, after being trained and tossed around the plant, for about 9 months, I was giving a raise and a title. Neither for job I was given, eventually I was placed back on the floor doing entry level work, again the reason I joined the company was to advance, to come full circle was not the plan.
Cons
short breaks, poor management
great products for good prices
Route Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Clio, MINovember 3, 2015
people are pleased with these frozen food products and appreciated the prices. I enjoy and eat this products with my family and friends as well. I always recommend them to everyone.
Pros
proud to service the community with great food and prices
Cons
not compensated for the daily 12 hours of work