The Schwan Food Company

The Schwan Food Company Employer Reviews

Great career but too many hours
Location General Manager (Former Employee), Richmond, VaJanuary 26, 2014
Best management ever. Horrible work life balance but rewarding. Fun job.
Productive employees can be profitable.
Route Manager (Current Employee), Graham, TXJanuary 26, 2014
12 working hours per day average. 100-150 miles per day driving. Meeting 50-70 customers per day. Presenting about 300 top quality frozen food items for sale. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with my customers and maintaining long lasting relationships. The hardest part of the job is the long hours spent away for home and family activities.
Extremly Long Work Hours
Route Sales Representative (Current Employee), Canyon, TXJanuary 22, 2014
I love meeting new people. This and my manager are the best parts of the job. These are extremely long work hours and I don't get to spend time with my wife or kids except on the weekends.
I would recommd this employment for all people
Supv. (Current Employee), Salina, KSJanuary 17, 2014
Pros: the people
Cons: the people
good place to work, people are mostly good, stress is the hardest part of the job
Are you ready for 60+ Hours per week w/ no holidays/sick time/overtime?
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee), Elk Grove, CAJanuary 15, 2014
Pros: customers, co workers, discounted food, benefits
Cons: hours, pay, management
I worked as a Customer Service Manager for Schwans Home Food Service for two years. I would leave my house at 830am and get home at 12:00am, five days per week, and yes that is a TYPICAL day at work, not a long day. Schwans has a 90% + turnover rate and one ride along will tell you why.

When I worked there we had a base salary, and a month after I left, it went back to 10% commission. My co workers were working the 60 hour weeks for less than 100 per day.

There's currently a Class Action Lawsuit against Schwans in California for seven different labor law/employee mistreatment charges/DOT violations. Even if you worked there two weeks, you need to call and get your name added to the suit, so you can get compensated for the hours of your home life you gave up trying to make Schwans their money.

Want to eat in that 12 to 16 hour workday? Don't go an hour without showing a sale, or you'll be verbally warned and then written up. Doesn't matter if you went to three/five/ten customers if they don't buy anything. Never happened to me but was threatened. Was told to eat my lunch on the way to more customers.

Schwans could care less about their customers; they see them as how much they spend and want them to spend more, not about providing good service. Anyone who worked at Schwans more than a month is a diligent and hardworking person, hands down.

My customers and coworkers were the only reason I stayed as along as I did. Many of the customers were elderly, and they appreciated seeing you and were genuine people. Many told me they didn't even need the food, but they knew how hard – more... I worked to provide them with consistent service.

Management was laughable at best. If you can sell, Schwans believes you can magically manage people as well. Managers care about three things: Sales, Sales, and Sales. They get a bonus if all of the CSMs sell enough, and you WILL be asked how much you are going to sell and how many new customers you're going to get, everyday.

I learned that Schwans was the outright worst place to work in my 15 year work history. They're hiring now, and they will be until the day they go bankrupt from lawsuits or poor sales. Do yourself a favor, and look elsewhere or go back to school and pursue something different in life. – less
manager does not care about safety. Define safe by choice for me.
Route Sales Representative (Current Employee), Green Bay Wi.January 15, 2014
Pros: i am so mad right now i don't see any
Cons: bad managment, needs to be taken care of
I just drove thru 40 mile per hour winds, 10 inches of snow, for the last 8 hours on back country roads with open farm fields, drifts were over 4 feet high, I called my manager to ask him if i could bust time windows early to get done and not lose the 50 dpllars i work so hard for and he said he will not pay for a DSO if i dont hit the sales goal for the day.Guess what that decision did for him, i will no longer stand by and let stupid decisions like that which there are many from my manager, put my life in danger, be SAFE BY CHOICE , I can promise you this someone will have to explain that decision to me way higher up and give me a full definition of what safe by choice means, I am the one who is out there in this weather so when i call to ask to break time windows for safety reasons you need to trust the RSR'S decision, I know that out of my 12 co-workers all of them feel the same way, we all need to report this so it changes, This incident will not happen again, i have never came home from work and been more upset then last night,
Consistent busy work environment with room for growth
Consumer Sales Representative (Former Employee), South Plainfield, NJJanuary 8, 2014
Pros: flexible scheduling, good monetary gains
Cons: long hours, excessive vehicle wear
A typical day as a consumer sales representative for schwan's usually began at 5:30 a.m. On average i would travel to ten stores within a seventy-five mile radius. Day to day duties included: checking inventory levels, restocking products where necessary, ordering new product for my next visit, checking and crediting damages, and correlating with management on store leve.I had great management who kept in pretty frequent contact with me about up coming promotions, problems, etc. The hardest part of the job was keeping every single client 100 percent satisfied as 39 stores is a large territory. However i met a lot of great people throughout the job, and it was a very pleasant learning and growing process.
Positive work environment, with constant pressure to do better.
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee), Loveland, COJanuary 7, 2014
Had to maintain a schedule each route day, while trying to gain additional customers as well. Long days, not much time off. Being commission based was difficult, but could be very rewarding.
Sales Job
Sales/Driver (Former Employee), Westmoreland, NYJanuary 7, 2014
Takes up most of your day. Expect 12-16 hour work days. Mostly driving to customer homes.
extremely long hours. poor work enviroment. no advancement.
Supervisor of Distribution Sales Support (Former Employee), Rochester, NYJanuary 6, 2014
Pros: bi weekly paycheck
Cons: hours no family life no job security no advancement so many more
schwans is a company that has so much potential because everyone knows of it. But with managemtn constantly changing sale goals that are unrealistic. 14 hour work days. and thats just in the sales end of the company. the operations end of the company i worked many any times 80 hours a week and was told i had to with no help and was told do what it takes to get the job done.
nobody i know wants to work there they just do because its a job and its better than being unemployed. dont try to have a family life because they dont want you to have one.
Changes occur often
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee), Rocklin, CAJanuary 5, 2014
Pros: great pay
Cons: long hours for some routes
In the time I worked there, the pay structure was changed four times. The routes went from single driver/salesmen to a dual route. The stores would have problems with an order and call the wrong salesmen since we changed duties every other week i.e week one you delivered, week 2 you would pre sell. Not very efficient for customer service.
Relaxing work environment with not many distractions.
Merchandiser (Current Employee), Sierra Vista, AZJanuary 2, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: no paid time off or sick days.
Unload delivery trucks and place product in freezer. Rotate all product and set up sales displays. After stocking freezers, if any product is left over, it is to be placed in an organized fashion in the back stock freezer that you are assigned. Place orders for next shipment of product and make sure all shelves are properly set up.
nice place
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee), Deer Park, TXDecember 30, 2013
Pros: great work.
Cons: cold enviorment
the plant was always in good standing.
they provide an employee store to get discounted foods. and the encouraged taking care of your family.
This was a very helpful and great Job. They helpeed me aquire my class b license with air brakes.
Driver, Warehouse Worker (Former Employee), Montgomeryville, PADecember 26, 2013
I like to drive and interact with customers. This company gave that opportunity to drive and do that. Early start time and you usually get done early afternoon or mid afternoon. A local company where you travel as far as Maryland and Delaware but home everyday.
Good entry level sales spot
Route Sales (Former Employee), Columbia, MODecember 12, 2013
Pros: great co-workers and customers
Cons: cold in the winter and hot in the summer
A good place to log long hours and make decent money. Not hard work but long.
Work to Life Balance does not meet market place.
Territory Sales Leader (Former Employee), Marshall MNDecember 12, 2013
Pros: pay, good people
Cons: long hours
Pays better than most but just come at a high family price.
Monday to Friday up at 8am home at 11pm and by the weekend no energy to enjoy the free time. Fun job and a little better avg pay but just comes at to high of a family price.
Horrible hours, horrible management!
Route Driver (Former Employee), Mt. Vernon, MO, (moved to Carthage, MODecember 7, 2013
Pros: the customers, some of the food
Cons: bad management
Stay far away from this company, unless you like horrible hours and being yelled at for things you have no control over! I worked here for just a little over a year and took over a route that was struggling and brought it back to at least respectable numbers. After working 15 hours a day, if I had a bad day numbers wise, my manager would look at me and say arrogantly, "So did you even get out of the truck today?" He would also swear at his drivers when they had bad days. I'm not sure if management was like this at every depot but it was at the one I worked at.
poor leadership, refuse to hire help, long hrs, few breaks
Material Handler 2, Dock Forman (Former Employee), Denver, CONovember 21, 2013
Cons: long hours, one break, poor leadership
Review summary and pros, cons section pretty well sums it up.
As with any commissioned sales position, you get out of it what you put into it.
Location General Manager (Former Employee), Bartlett, TnNovember 17, 2013
Pros: good earning and advancement potential.
Cons: no family life due to the hours.
A typical day at work was a 12 to 16 hour day.
I learned to sell and I learned the route sales business. I also learned to recruit.
Middle management was excellent. Upper management was lacking.
The hardest part of the job was the long hours.
The most enjoyable part was dealing with customers, and employees.
new and challenging factors happening on daily basis
Sales Distribution Support Supervisor (Current Employee), Castle Rock, CONovember 15, 2013
work 12 + hours a night shift position/ working manager/ excelling within corporation performance and guidlines

About The Schwan Food Company

We Make Food. It's what we do and we do it well. From home to stores, restaurants and more, our products are everywhere you – Read more

The Schwan Food Company Photos