The Scripps Research Institute Employee Reviews

Employee
Operation Manager (Current Employee) –  Jupiter, FLJanuary 31, 2017
Excellent company to work for with a very diverse culture. The management team is very supportive and well rounded. My most enjoyable moment at this institute is working a team of individuals who a honest and hardworking.
Pros
Great benifit
Cons
N/a
Cutting EdgeResearch
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Jupiter, FLDecember 29, 2016
Cutting edge research. Work environment is great. The pay is not very good, especially for post docs. You make a lot of connections to academia and industry.
IT Analyst III
IT Analyst III (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CADecember 10, 2016
Troubleshoot and repair all computer systems, build as required and special setups of OS for research environment. Working with people and computers, personal laptops, from all over the world in a very diverse cultural environment. Put all systems on TSRI's network, setup AD and Exchange clients and network shares.
Pros
Great working environment in research facility
Cons
Management was not flexible and problematic
Enriching environment
Project Administrator (Current Employee) –  La Jolla, CANovember 22, 2016
After nearly 15 years with the institute in an administrative position, I've seen many changes take place. The institute used to offer more employee recognition benefits than they do now, but it is still a great place to work. The benefits are competitive and many different positions are available. There is a rich diversity within the employees, with people from all over the world coming together to conduct and support research. Job security is based upon the availability of funding which has been challenging to attain for a few years with so many government cutbacks to medical research funding.
Pros
Benefits, varying job positions, diversity
Cons
Funding opportunities limited
Great reputation and environment
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CAApril 8, 2016
This was a great place to work as an administrative assistant. The work culture was very positive across lines of ranks and I always felt that the institute had my back.
Very competitive
Post Doctoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  Jupiter, FLApril 6, 2016
Premier research institute. Too much pressure to perform. Typically Weekends are not off. Have to put in long hours as a Research Associate
Research Associate/Postdoctoral Associate (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CADecember 1, 2015
Great scientists and great environment to work. The staffs are very helpful and willing. Brilliant scientists to work with and share and bounce scientific ideas around.
Hardworking man in Scripps
Postdoctoral research associate (Current Employee) –  La Jolla, CANovember 4, 2015
I need to work very hard everyday to finish my project on time. From here, I learn quite a lot of things not only in my academic work, but the social skills and life in the world.
Great Place to work
posdoc (Former Employee) –  Jupiter, FLOctober 5, 2015
great

Scripps makes a big deal in being on top. Although the institute has gone through a number of leaderships changes, it has been for the better. The better leadership is really making a difference.
Multicultural, fun place to work
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CASeptember 3, 2015
I loved flexibility that my former PI was giving to us. It was very important for me to be able in the case of emergency to leave earlier and compensate missed hours during other day.

Want to know more about The Scripps Research Institute?

Ask a question
Productive day in the vivarium
Animal Technician II (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CAAugust 19, 2015
Once arrived I would put my lunch in the fridge in the break room and clock in with Kronos. Go to the locker room and change into the provided uniform, put my hair up, put on my dedicated shoes and go to the office... Once in the office I would check my work email for any instructions given by my PI or Lab techs in my room, check my inbox for my schedule or notes from my supervisor (because I would get there before her), and go to my room... Depending on the day I can either be doing technical work ( Tagging and tailing or sentinels) or I would be changing cages... If I were to be tagging and tailing I would set up my bead sterilizer so it can get hot as I am doing my health checks. Once health checks are done and all floods are taken care of and sick mice were reported. I would go through my room and tag the cages that had 4 week old pups to be tagged and tailed and the cages that needed retails. Once done with that I would get my things together and start. If I had to cage change it would be easier and a faster set up than tagging and tailing... Management was always around to help if I needed her. My co workers were awesome... We all got along and worked as a team... If someone did happen to have a problem it wouldn't last long... We would always make up by the end of the day... The only part I found hard was the constant changes we would get from the dept manager... He wouldn't let anything have a chance to work... The most enjoyable thing I got out of my last job was the different cultures that I got to meet and learn about... How well others got along no racism or snide  more... remarks from anyone who was prejudice... When we were within the walls of the vivarium it was our own world... When the day was done go to the office clock out of kronos after turning in all what you've done that day to the supervisor... Go to the locker room, shower, change back into your clothes, and go home to start it all over again the next day...  less
Pros
Different people to socialize everyday
Cons
Dept manager was not consistant...
The Scripps Research Institute
Administrative Assistant III (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CAJuly 1, 2015
Learned about submitting grants to NIH and Private Non-Profit agencies. I loved this part of my job.
I also was responsible for proof reading and editing the technical writing of the grant application.
I also managed the lab, negotiating prices of equipment.
Pros
Working independently
Excellent Institute for research
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CAMay 30, 2015
it is an very strong institute,

very talent scientists and professors here

located in the most beautiful place.

wish could be paid better
Challenging but Rewarding
Postdoctoral Researcher (Current Employee) –  La Jolla, CAMay 7, 2015
Getting a postdoctoral fellowship at TSRI is an opportunity to challenge yourself as a scientist, and a chance to excel.
Pros
excellent opportunity to excel as a scientist
Cons
stress
Great place to work and advance your career
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Jupiter, FLJanuary 9, 2015
This is a great place to work for. The HR is great and very organized. The benefits are very good and the compensation. The Scientific community of this institute is astonishing and working under the guidance of any member will 100 fold elevate your experience and work.
a great place for research and science
Post Postdoctoral Research Associate (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CANovember 30, 2014
TSRI is the state-of-the art scientific facilities. It is one of the largest private research institutes in the US. Many Nobel Laureates here. You have the opportunities to work with the best and brightest young scientists. It is easy to publish high profile paper here because your work is based on high platform.
I learned new technologies that I never had chance to touch before. Many postdoc here so people is kind of equal.
Pros
a lot to learn, feel independent, amazing sciences, nice place to live
Cons
raises, opportunities, pay
Great workplace in the midst of beautiful Florida green lawns
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Jupiter, FLOctober 6, 2014
TSRI is an institute of repute, however being a small offshoot of the campus at La Jolla it is still evolving and find the best working formula, in terms of collaborations and facilities. The scientific community consists of young talented postdocs and young PIs which are all self driven and enthusiastic.
Pros
Good place to have collaboration with chemistry
Cons
little away from the major cities and malls and shops
Amazing workplace with great people
Internship (Former Employee) –  Jupiter, FlSeptember 25, 2014
Hardest part was learning everything, but it was enjoyable because we were trained well and it became easy.
Pros
Great food, location, lots of social interactions after work, great learning environment. comes with a gym and showers.
Cons
People can be rude if under pressure
productive, fun, and fast paced envirorment
Technician Specialist (Current Employee) –  La Jolla, CASeptember 12, 2014
What I appreciate about TSRI (The Scripps Research Institute) is that I got to learn a lot of technical work, and I am able to do that on a regular basis, learn about many species, able to work with multiple species (Mice, rats, rabbits, frogs, chickens, and primates). I supervise 3 washrooms and 1 facility with a crew of 7. At one time i was managing total of 16 people. So I have to multitask and mange my time between places and that makes the days go by fast. I enjoy my co-workers, we all work hard with little supervision. The hardest part of my job is that sometimes I care and think about my job when I am not working.
Pros
Healthcare, free lunches at times, going to seminars
Cons
Raises, advancing within the company
Great Company
Animal Care Technician I (Current Employee) –  Jupiter, FLSeptember 8, 2014
This company is a great place to work. Coworkers are very friendly and have a team attitude. Benefits are AMAZING, Full benefits, 401k and 403b.