The Scripps Research Institute Employee Reviews

Very competitive
Post Doctoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  Jupiter, FLApril 6, 2016
Premier research institute. Too much pressure to perform. Typically Weekends are not off. Have to put in long hours as a Research Associate
Research Associate/Postdoctoral Associate (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CADecember 1, 2015
Great scientists and great environment to work. The staffs are very helpful and willing. Brilliant scientists to work with and share and bounce scientific ideas around.
Hardworking man in Scripps
Postdoctoral research associate (Current Employee) –  La Jolla, CANovember 4, 2015
I need to work very hard everyday to finish my project on time. From here, I learn quite a lot of things not only in my academic work, but the social skills and life in the world.
Great Place to work
posdoc (Former Employee) –  Jupiter, FLOctober 5, 2015
great

Scripps makes a big deal in being on top. Although the institute has gone through a number of leaderships changes, it has been for the better. The better leadership is really making a difference.
The Scripps Research Institute
Administrative Assistant III (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CAJuly 1, 2015
Learned about submitting grants to NIH and Private Non-Profit agencies. I loved this part of my job.
I also was responsible for proof reading and editing the technical writing of the grant application.
I also managed the lab, negotiating prices of equipment.
Pros
Working independently
Cons
Multicultural, fun place to work
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CASeptember 3, 2015
I loved flexibility that my former PI was giving to us. It was very important for me to be able in the case of emergency to leave earlier and compensate missed hours during other day.
a great place for research and science
Post Postdoctoral Research Associate (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CANovember 30, 2014
TSRI is the state-of-the art scientific facilities. It is one of the largest private research institutes in the US. Many Nobel Laureates here. You have the opportunities to work with the best and brightest young scientists. It is easy to publish high profile paper here because your work is based on high platform.
I learned new technologies that I never had chance to touch before. Many postdoc here so people is kind of equal.
Pros
a lot to learn, feel independent, amazing sciences, nice place to live
Cons
raises, opportunities, pay
Great workplace in the midst of beautiful Florida green lawns
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Jupiter, FLOctober 6, 2014
TSRI is an institute of repute, however being a small offshoot of the campus at La Jolla it is still evolving and find the best working formula, in terms of collaborations and facilities. The scientific community consists of young talented postdocs and young PIs which are all self driven and enthusiastic.
Pros
good place to have collaboration with chemistry
Cons
little away from the major cities and malls and shops
productive, fun, and fast paced envirorment
Technician Specialist (Current Employee) –  La Jolla, CASeptember 12, 2014
What I appreciate about TSRI (The Scripps Research Institute) is that I got to learn a lot of technical work, and I am able to do that on a regular basis, learn about many species, able to work with multiple species (Mice, rats, rabbits, frogs, chickens, and primates). I supervise 3 washrooms and 1 facility with a crew of 7. At one time i was managing total of 16 people. So I have to multitask and mange my time between places and that makes the days go by fast. I enjoy my co-workers, we all work hard with little supervision. The hardest part of my job is that sometimes I care and think about my job when I am not working.
Pros
healthcare, free lunches at times, going to seminars
Cons
raises, advancing within the company
Truly a great and excellent research and science related firm.
Security Dispatcher/Lead Officer (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CAFebruary 5, 2014
If you enjoy science or research in large firm then you will love working here.Located in beautiful Southern Ca only adds to the real enjoyment of the job. The professors and department heads at this firm truly do invest care and they do demonstrate respect to their employees. Yes, most positions here come with an excellent benefits package! Also, you might like to know that this firm also has yet another large( separate) science research facility in Jupiter Florida...amazing how one company can exist in two different states (Florida and California) at the same time.
Great place to learn and interact with renowned scientists
Senior Research Associate (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CAOctober 26, 2012
Since TSRI is a big institute with a variety of scientist covering everything from chemistry, bioinformatics, immunology and so on you can always find a person who has the expertise you need no accomplish your goal. It provides a good network of people to help you grow as a scientist.
Many great talks and seminars to attend and broaden your horizon and interact with experienced scientists who are leaders in their field.
This company is doing amazing research and I'am proud to be a part of it.
Security (Current Employee) –  Jupiter, FLFebruary 3, 2013
I'am very fortunate to work with such an educated work enviroment.Also, there are over 200 coutries represented here at The Scripps Research Institute.Its my privilege to safeguard the the research of these scientist.The hardest part of the job is the campus is very quiet.Any given day I respond to wide range of Cyro freezer alarms that that drop in temperture.I investigate to to find the source then provide the follow up to call oor facilities director.
Pros
cafeteria on campus.provides laudry for uniforms.
Cons
retirement package isn't enough.
Intellectually stimulating
Research Assistant I (Current Employee) –  La Jolla, CAMarch 6, 2013
Worked over time to carry out my own experiments and meeting deadlines, while multi-tasking my primary duties such a vivarium upkeep, genotyping transgenic mice, and ELISAs on mouse serum samples.
Learned new molecular techniques and column chromatography.
Managed lab supplies, vivarium, and mouse database.
Assisted post docs with molecular techniques for their experiment. Help trained new post docs on molecular techniques.
Hardest part of the job is troubleshoot experiments.
Most enjoyable part of the job is learning new techniques and speaking with intelligent scientists.
Pros
sources of knowledge
Cons
work overtime
Horrible environment
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CAJanuary 16, 2013
If you want management to beat into you how "lucky you are to even HAVE a job", this is the place for you.

No flexibility. No work/life balance.

Scientists are overworked and undervalued.

Old computers and software.

Parking is terrible.

It's in La Jolla so the traffic is horrific.

Cafeteria (so small, not sure it even qualifies as a cafeteria) is horrible.

Unless you're a PI you can't use the gym. If you are a PI, it's ridiculously overpriced considering the facilities are mediocre at best.

The most impressive aspect of working there would be the benefits, and they're not all that amazing, though management will tell you repeatedly that they are.

Anyone who is impressed with TSRI as an employer, clearly, has never had a real job.
Fun place to begin your career
Research Associate - Postdoctoral Scholar (Current Employee) –  Jupiter, FloridaMarch 27, 2014
It is a good place to work. I typically start around 8.30 am almost every day. Have learnt a lot of science from daily research activities. My co-workers are also great. The hardest part of the job sometimes to get motivated. The most enjoyable part of work is the gatherings with fellow workers.
Pros
get a lot to learn by yourself, feel independent
Cons
need to push a lot to get to next level
A brand new institute with a bit of a rocky start
Research Assistant IV/ Lab Manager (Former Employee) –  Jupiter, FLJune 17, 2013
A typical day at work consisted of tissue culture, management of the lab,and cell based screens.
I learned a tremendous amount about starting up a lab and facility.
The management of the institute was from California and it was a little difficult without them on site.
My coworkers were really great,talented people devoted to the research.
The hardest part about working there was that the permanent site for the institute was challenged in court and had to be abandoned. The uncertainty of this issue was a bit overwhelming.
The most enjoyable part of the jobs was working with some really amazing people.
Pros
good science and new equipment
Cons
site issue and the temporary facility was not top notch
Challenging and non routine day to day job
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CAMarch 26, 2013
Challenging and non routine day to day job that offers flexible hours.
A typical day of work would be divided between bench work on Molecular biology/Biochemistry experiments and Tissue culture work.
People from all over the world work at Scripps. This creates a nice multicultural experience.
Pros
flexible hours and decent benefits
Cons
conpensation is not that high and lay offs happen often.
Great place to work and advance your career
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Jupiter, FLJanuary 9, 2015
This is a great place to work for. The HR is great and very organized. The benefits are very good and the compensation. The Scientific community of this institute is astonishing and working under the guidance of any member will 100 fold elevate your experience and work.
Excellent Institute for research
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CAMay 30, 2015
it is an very strong institute,

very talent scientists and professors here

located in the most beautiful place.

wish could be paid better
Challenging but Rewarding
Postdoctoral Researcher (Current Employee) –  La Jolla, CAMay 7, 2015
Getting a postdoctoral fellowship at TSRI is an opportunity to challenge yourself as a scientist, and a chance to excel.
Pros
excellent opportunity to excel as a scientist
Cons
stress

4.3