Position Description for Individual Donor Relations Manager
The Seamen’s Church Institute (SCI)
The Individual Donor Relations Manager oversees SCI’s individual giving program, including the Annual Fund, cultivating prospective donors and identifying major gift prospects. This position assumes authority for the expansion and growth of SCI’s base of individual donors, meeting set financial and non-financial goals and objectives.
Working closely with the Director of Development, he/she creates a strategy for identifying, engaging, cultivating and soliciting prospective donors, while strengthening and stewarding relationships with current supporters. He/she reports to the Director of Development, contributing as a critical member of the Development Team.
In particular, the Individual Donor Relations Manager:
- Manages SCI’s Annual Fund campaign, with trustees serving as lead donors, to achieve income goals established annually in SCI’s operating budget;
- Manages relationships with established donors and strategizes to increase the level and/or frequency of philanthropic gifts to SCI;
- Issues timely and accurate donor acknowledgement letters with occasional phone contacts;
- Collaborates with Christmas at Sea Manager to increase financial support from knitters;
- Interacts with SCI chaplains to strengthen church relations outreach and funding;
- Supervises efforts to increase Mariner Friendly Church community;
- Keeps the calendar of church visits to ensure chaplains reach stated goals and objectives;
- Provides support for church visits, including distribution of promotional materials;
- Cultivates new donors from maritime, church and other communities, including migration of special event constituents to individual donors;
- Creates and implements strategy to expand the base of individual donors in all geographic locations served by SCI;
- Collaborates with Development Team to identify new major and planned gift prospects;
- Maintains Raiser’s Edge records related to individual donors and churches;
- Adheres to established protocols such as SCI’s gift acceptance policy, Donor Bill of Rights, and all ethical standards and practices promulgated by the Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP)
The ideal candidate brings a minimum of three years comparable experience with entrepreneurial approach to managing SCI’s individual giving program. He/She must have outstanding oral, writing, organization, project management and interpersonal skills. He or she feels comfortable using social media within a professional context and as a tool for professional goals. He or she respects the religious values and cross-cultural realities that drive maritime ministry while exhibiting the agility and emotional intelligence that contributes to a healthy work culture.
Interested candidates should submit the following materials by email: 1) resume; 2) contact information for three references; 3) salary history; and 4) recent writing sample. Please, put position title in Subject Line.
The full-time, exempt position offers attractive salary, health and retirement benefits including a matching 403(b) retirement plan.