The Shape of Behavior Employee Reviews

Low wages
Registered Behavior Technician (Current Employee) –  Spring, TXNovember 30, 2017
Low wages, high stress, no appreciation of lower level staff. You are consistently made aware you MUST work any time, any site location. Only 2 paid holidays, plus 10-15 holiday days off UNpaid.
Pros
sense of accomplishment
Cons
low wages
Enjoyed the patients and Staff but Manager never helped
RBT (Former Employee) –  San Angelo, TXNovember 15, 2017
To start off with what you do there is amazing work. I was grateful enough to work with such amazing kids. And would do the same job just a different company & definitely a different manager. You're on your feet all day long from 8am-5pm only break you get is 1 hour lunch. That at times is at 10am with no break or 2pm lunch with also no break. At first the manger said "l give you breaks if you need it just let me know." Which didn't end up happening at all it would take the manger a while to let staff even go to the bathroom. If you felt sick manager would make you feel bad about it and say you'll be short staff if you do leave. Manger would hear us having trouble with some patients & would never bother to get up from her office chair to see if we were okay. Would close the doors to not listen to the patients when they would have problems behaviors. Manger would never turn any paper work on time for staff. Which would cause no pay for certain pay period or no vacation time. Manger wouldn't bother to get on the floor to help even when short staffed. Which would make days way more stressful because you wouldn't get any help. Manger would also leave the clinic for up to 3 hours. Manger would give us dirty work even though we were busy with patients doing therapy & manger didn't feel the need to do it while sitting down at her desk. When patients were being aggressive we would yell asking for help & manger wouldn't step in until it was too late. When staff would have problem behavior with patients. Manger would walk by and laugh at you struggling. Manger has no idea about the  more... patients because manger never works with them. Manger stays in office or never at the clinic. So when you ask a question about something manger doesn't know. Letting corporate know about some of the struggles and they just brush it off. Overall the staff I worked with pretty much trained me, answered all my questions about the patients. Only reason I didn't quit sooner were the kids and staff. They always had a great attitude to work around and they knew team work. The children were awesome to watch grow everyday. Its amazing to see them learn new words or living skills and you know you're behind that. Its an amazing feeling. I love what I did here who I worked with but the company needs help. And the manger needs more training on how to work in a team and how to treat a team. Overall it was a great experience got to meet amazing people (staff & patients.)  less
Pros
Staff worked as a team to keep things running. What the job does with the patients is awesome
Cons
Management needs training & company needs to listen to their employees
Owner is awful to work for
ABA Tutor (Former Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXOctober 24, 2017
Owner is awful to work for. She would tell us not to touch the children and then she would grab them and yell at them. Staff is the only good thing about working there. The kids are great
pretty cool place
Behavior Therapist (Current Employee) –  Kingwood, TXOctober 18, 2017
I enjoy working with the kids and teaching them new things and learning new thing as well about each child and how to care for them so its a pretty good place to work
Current Employee
Registered Behavior Technician (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCOctober 12, 2017
I really enjoy working with the children and families at The Shape of Behavior. The work environment is very supportive and the compensation rate is one of the highest in the area. Our team works together collaboratively and training and support are always available for employees that care enough to ask for it. We have an open door policy and any issues that arise and are brought to the attention of management are handled promptly.

Days can be hectic, but when you work with special needs children, that is to be expected.
For the love of ABA practices and children with Autism
Registered Behavior Therapist ID (Current Employee) –  Kingwood, TXSeptember 6, 2017
Been a loyal employee and love what I do as it will become a career choice for me. Some staff show to have passion within this field so it makes the job worthwhile as it is a demanding job mentally and physically. My immediate manager is willing to work with your schedule as much as possible depending on how many patient to staff ratio there is.
Pros
Staff days to work on program materials
Cons
Corporate communication
A fun workplace but not the place to seek professionalism.
Registered Behavior Technician (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 11, 2017
Be prepared to watch kids be kissed against their will under the guise of "....kids need affection..."
You will be watched like a hawk by corporate employees who are out of touch. The first time you are reprimanded, they zero in on you and write you up for everything under the sun. You have no freedom. You are not able to defend yourself against the accusations.
The kids are motivated by treats like they are puppies. There is no sanctity. If you bring food for your kid, it will be shared amongst the class whether it falls on the floor or not.
Pros
Meeting good people.
Cons
No freedom, lack of professionalism, profiling, poor business practices.
High school mentality
Registered Behavior Technician (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 9, 2017
Completely unprofessional environment. The job itself is rewarding however they mislead you with your compensation and benefit information. They claim 40 hours a week however, you never reach 40 since you have one day out the week that's considered an early day where you only work 6 hours and they clock you out without your knowledge if they feel like you are to close to 5pm or they write you up for going 40 or over. The insurance is extremely high and unaffordable if you have to pay for basic necessities like rent, car note and food. Also, the salary they state to get you in is false. I was told with a bachelor's degree you start at 14 dollars a hour after training and certification you get 16 a hour. Once I completed training and certification I was only moved to 15 dollars a hour. Also if you have no degree they start you at 10 dollars a hour which is horrible considering the work you do and the unprofessional management you deal with daily. If you have a bachelor's degree run elsewhere this is not sufficient income for your hardwork!
Pros
Working with amazing kids
Cons
Pay, time, benefits, management, no true room for growth
Poor ABA model
Registered Behavior Technician (Former Employee) –  TexasJanuary 31, 2017
The Shape of Behavior advertises intense ABA, but unfortunately does not deliver. The BCBAs are overloaded with large caseloads, the managers are too busy to offer proper training and support to the technicians, and due to the extremely high turnover rate, half of the technicians are in training and not RBTs.
As an employee, there is no appreciation from the company. The attitude is that you're lucky to have this job and if you don't appreciate it, you're replaceable. Employees are disciplined for everything, and terminated often.
Pros
Free training
Cons
Not enough support to balance the level of stress
The children are worth it but horrible corporate structure
Registered Behavior Technician (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCJanuary 22, 2017
Worked here for a year. Favoritism is big issue and younger staff do not abide by company protocol and manager does nothing about it. Corporate is like helicopter parents always critiquing and evaluations are based on others. Not much room for growth.
Pros
Breaks, clients, paid training
Working for the Shape in Harlingen or McAllen is the worst
Found a better job (Former Employee) –  Harlingen, TXDecember 12, 2016
The management is ridiculous in how they do everything but manage. They talk about co-workers to other co-workers. If management doesn't like you, they put you with more challenging children to set you up for failure or they make points to critique your work and not once give praise. The supervisor in Harlingen is a kid who isn't even certified in ABA and the actual certified ABA supervisor is a complete jerk who has no soul. If this isn't enough for you.. Then apply and learn for yourself.
Pros
Free lunches once a month
Cons
Management sucks
Run!
N/A (Current Employee) –  SCAugust 28, 2016
I was with the company for over a year. The manager has favorites and allow her friends to be disrespectful to other coworkers. The Manger would set rules only to break them. The manager models improper safety care and allowed a team member to handle a patient ruff. Looking for something new.
Cons
Lack of good management
High turnover low benefits
ABA Therapist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 9, 2016
Hostile work environment. Child to therapist ratio is low. Management is non compassionate and rarely rewards staff for hard work. High turnover rate. Would not recommend this company!
Poor corporate structure and poor job security
Trainee(Direct Therapist) (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCNovember 24, 2015
I quit a job that paid a lot more in order to work at TSOB. I had been trying to get into ABA therapy for several years and TSOB for over a year until it finally "worked out." But then I was laid off after only about three weeks due to expected new patients not starting. So I pretty much got screwed over. Although the site manager was very nice and well meaning, sadly I felt like she was ultimately just a pawn of the administration. Management pretty much stuck their hand in her and worked her like a puppet. The administration just seemed to care about making money and expanding the size of the company instead of caring about its workers and patients. Pretty typical of corporations I guess. I am sure I would have found more negatives if I had stayed longer. . .
Pros
Some of the patients were fun to work with, I liked the other staff I worked with, and enjoyed working during the daytime and being off on weekends
Cons
Company was very unorganized, lacked clear communication, poor job security
Poor corporate structure
Direct Therapist (Current Employee) –  Katy, TXAugust 18, 2015
It is fun and interesting to learn about ABA and the company will help you to become certified as an RBT but corporate is more interested in making money than providing the best environment for the patients.
Pros
fun people, interesting work
Cons
pay, corporate, unorganized
Good Company
Direct Therapist - Registered Behavior Technician (Former Employee) –  Spring, TXJuly 22, 2015
This job can be emotionally and physically draining, but this is a standard across the industry. At the shape of behavior I received great support when I needed it. The training you receive in the beginning is also excellent, at the time I did not realize it but they really set you up to exceed. Especially if you continue with your masters and etc,. They may not pay the highest but starting out I believe it was a good place to work, if I had not moved I would still be there completing my masters through them.
It's ok company.
Direct Therapist (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 7, 2015
It's ok company to work. Nice bosses. but coworkers. It depends. Days at work are different everyday. I've learned a lot there such as aba with patients in different levels. As long as you want to learn, there are always someone to teach you or help you grow.
Pros
nice bosses, patients
Cons
some co-workers, schedules
Unorganized and low clientele
Direct Therapist (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDMay 5, 2015
Not offered efficient training for job expectations. Salary and benefits offered were substantial. Hard to connect with other site locations.
Sadly, Not What I Was Expecting
Direct Therapist (Current Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXMarch 25, 2015
During my interview and first weeks of working here, I was happy to see all the good intentions of this company. I love ABA therapy and am going to grad school for it. ABA therapy is a career choice for me and that is why I felt compelled to share my experience with this company.
After the first few weeks of training, it was clear that all the promises and goals this company claims to have are not carried out. I love the kids and other therapists I worked with, however the structure of this company is unethical and very low in morals:
-Management has no training in management
-the 1:1 ratio is often 1:3+
-hard work is rarely appreciated if at all
-management plays favorites, the work environment is similar to being in high school
-work hard on your feet all day, and Lunch could be as early as 10 AM, on an 8-5 shift plus no 15 min breaks
-Low compensation
-high turnover leads to therapists constantly being in training and this is difficult for trained therapists
- rigid schedule and cookie cutter approach to treating patients
- lack of supplies
- poor communication skills within the company
-BIPS followed poorly, which leads to confusion and disorganization within the classrooms.
Pros
The kids are amazing and your coworkers have good intentions
Cons
Unbalanced ratios for kids and therapists, cookie cutter approach to ABA therapy with children, high turnover, low compensation, no appreciation for hard work
Productive and Fun workplace
Direct Therapist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 13, 2013
It's a great company to work for with a great staff and understanding management