The Shelter Group Employee Reviews

Productive Workplace
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Boothwyn, PAJuly 10, 2017
It is a good place to work. Reasonably paced. I've learned skills in the following: plumbing, electrical, HVAC, painting, apartment turnovers, and cleaning.
Pros
Pto
Cons
Sometimes On-Call
Okay place to work
Maintenance Tech (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen, MDJune 27, 2017
Steady repetitive work. Limited to no advancement opportunities. Management has difficulties understanding maintenance needs. On-call is once a month.
Pros
End of the year bonus.
Cons
No advancements.
Lease Consultant
LEASING CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Newark, DEMay 18, 2017
The Shelter Group is a great place to work. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting others needs and seeing the smile upon their face. The hardest part of the job is moving to another position.
Consider Carefully
Form Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 25, 2017
Small company with decent pay for Admins. The managers/management that have been there long term would never make it at another company. Their behavior has been allowed to become unprofessional over time and there is a lot of gossiping, rumors and daily drama. The company and the communities have significant turnover and retention issues and hiring practices are a mess. HR is out of touch with their employees - case in point, I was sent a recruitment message by one of their HR recruiters on Linkedin while I still worked there, for another admin position. If you need a job, nothing wrong with taking one for the money, But, keep the resume updated and continue looking for a better option.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
See above
Family like atmosphere
SharePoint Administrator (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 6, 2017
The Shelter Group is a great place to work. The senior management team sincerely cares for the associates. The close relationships outweigh the under payment.
productive and welcoming enviorment
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 16, 2016
The Shelter Group was filled with a warm and welcoming work area as well as supportive in developing my IT skills and supporting me in moving up within the company.
Pros
supporting staff, ability to move up within company
Productive and interesting to work for
Resident Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDSeptember 22, 2015
Everyday brings on a new scenario and you never did the same thing each day. The job itself was very productive to the community, and everyone benefited with the different activities that were presented. The down fall was the office itself is very small, so therefore you never had your own space and not enough computers.
Pros
free lunch each month
Cons
terrible dental and vision plans
Typical Office Job but GREAT Group to work for within company
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 15, 2015
My group is great and I am lucky to work for this group. I would say the company as a whole has it's good points and it's downsides but they try very hard to work on their downsides.
Great company to work for
Assistant Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDMarch 30, 2015
The staff is amazing and everyone gets along great! Company looks out for their employees and it is understandable that they have been voted Baltimore #1 place to work!
Pros
Small group of close co-workers
Cons
Can't think of any at this time
Great company
Senior Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Ellicott City, MDMarch 1, 2015
The Shelter Group is a great teaching company. They offer many areas of property management. They provide excellent training and monitoring.
Good Company
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  MarylandJanuary 21, 2015
Overall a nice LIHTC Property management company. TCS training provided to management.
Professional, Fun, Fast-Paced Work Environment
Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDFebruary 23, 2014
A typical day at work would be to open the office, have a 10 minute team meeting. Inspect tour routes, curb appeal, inspect models and mini models. Then I would report any maintenance issues right away. I immediately would set appointments and respond to hot leads with urgency!!! Throughout the day I would update the phone call log, respond to email inquiries, create guest cards for all prospects via email, phone or walk-ins. I'd dedicate myself to Product/Community knowledge, tour the community with prospects, exlain the Application process, prepare and signing of lease package, assist new move ins, assisting current residents with their needs and concerns. Assist in planning of residential services.

In this position, the only hardest part of this job, in which I've experienced is a maintenance issue. The maintenance issue was an overfloaded toilet that had affected more that two resident apartments. The building was under warranty, so the issues eventually became resolved, but it took almost a week to correct the apartments and the flood damages.

The most enjoyable part of the job were meeting new faces everyday and working as a team player. There were only 6 of us, 4 office staff and 2 maintenance staff. We created such a tight-knit bond which felt like a second family, thus making it enjoyable. I believe that success as a business or a community, every team member should have a strong work ethic, dedicated, knowledgeable, well rounded at multitasking and be briefed on common goals of the work environment.
Excellent Company to work for!!!
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Newark DelawareSeptember 5, 2013
This is a great company that cares about their employees and offers so much support in order to develop their talent! A professional company that is growing and expanding because of their core values!
No advancement
AP Processor/ Assistant Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 7, 2012
The Shelter Group had a nice environment and the team I worked with was excellent. But after completing my degree, I was held at the same level without an opportunity to advance and grow within the company.
Pros
friendly atmosphere
Cons
no advancement opportunities