The Sports Authority

The Sports Authority Employer Reviews

Great place to work for a younger college student
Cashier (Current Employee), Omaha, NEAugust 19, 2014
Pros: discount
Cons: low pay, few hours, and very high turnover rate
The job is always changing and new things are learned about products and a daily basis. If you don't know or cant find out something quick about a product chances are the sale is not going to happen. Days for me consisted of 6-8 hour shifts depending on school schedules. During my time at Sports Authority I have seen numerous employees come through – more... that has given be both promotions from one position to another, and unfortunately back to that old position many times due to high turnover. I have also seen and entirely new management change during my time at Sports Authority. The hardest part about the job has been changing with the management and the hectic and sometimes chaotic pace with all new employee's, the under trained, and under appreciative new employees sometimes got to be stressful. The most enjoyable part of my job is making friends with all the people that have come through the store as well as helping a customer out and having them tell you what great help I have been and seeing them come back and myself remembering them and asking how the product worked out for them. The shocked look on their face of me remembering them and what they bought is priceless. – less
Hard worker
Foot wear associate (Former Employee), Orem, UTAugust 16, 2014
I enjoy working with and around people. My main focus is to help people who is in need.
I make sure everything is done before I go home, I don't like to have things that is unfinished to be hanging around.
Very unstructured work environment.
Operations Manager (Former Employee), Tacoma, WAAugust 10, 2014
When you are assigned to a department your management expects you to accomplish all tasks but most of the associates liked to procrastinate and not get the job done.
Fun workplace to be everyone works and help each other
Footwear Sales Associate (Current Employee), Bakersfield, CAAugust 9, 2014
To sum it up its really just like any other day working here. Most likely have tasks to do, perfect aisle, recovery and most of all customer service.
Steady and Easy
Customer Service (Current Employee), St. Louis, MOAugust 8, 2014
An easy going retain environment. Somewhat flexible working schedules.
Good experince working with customers for the first time
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Queens, NYAugust 6, 2014
Pros: dealing with customers
Cons: getting paid $8/ hr
My typical day at work was dealing with customers all day which I thought was interesting and learned how to communicate with customers and employees on a everyday task. Management expected me to deliver for my department the days I was there which I did, and co-workers also helped me at times when I needed some assistance some days when there were – more... times it would get really busy which I thought it was the hardest part of my job dealing with multiple customers all at the same time which was at times very enjoyable because when you are busy time goes by fast! – less
Great co-workers
Assistant Manager/Receiving Lead (Former Employee), Clifton, NJAugust 6, 2014
I had a chance to work with some great people during my time here. However, there was little room for advancement in the Shipping & Receiving department which ultimately led to my decision to pursue other opportunities.
Ok place if you are a high school student
Team Sports/Fitness Authority (Supervisor) (Former Employee), Oro Valley, AZAugust 5, 2014
Pros: customers
Cons: benefits, no room to advnace
What's there to say, it is a retail store with a small target of people they sell to. The benefits were horrible and the pay was only good if you were a supervisor or higher but getting one of those positions was not easy.
Fun place and organized clothing dept
Retail Merchandise Planner (Current Employee), Woodbury, MNAugust 4, 2014
Pros: praise from management
Cons: difficult customers
I open and close the store on a weekly basis. I have learned how to merchandize better. Have up my skills on matching outfits together and get lots of compliments on them from customers. So sales have gone up. Our management team is wonderful. My co-workers have been more like a family. The hardest part is dead lines so have to more at speedy pace. – more... I enjoy working with people. It makes me happy to satisfy my customers – less
Horrible place to work
Sales (Current Employee), Auburn Hills, MIAugust 4, 2014
Cons: everything
The management are rude and careless to the employees. the co workers were nice. I always had one manager tell me to do one thing and just because the other manager didnt feel like he had any power he made me stop wht the store manager told me to do just to do the things he wanted done. There was zero communication.
Horrible place to work
Sales (Current Employee), Auburn Hills, MIAugust 4, 2014
Cons: everything
i loved the break room
cashier (Former Employee), lake stevens waJuly 31, 2014
sometimes a slow environment but i loves being in a big store and having such a variety of products to sell.
Great place
Footwear Sales Associate (Former Employee), Audubon, PAJuly 29, 2014
I love this job, it was big and always something going on I learned alot.
Excellent Experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 25, 2014
I loved working their it was a wonder experience and I would definitely recommend anyone to work with their company.
Okay workplace
Customer Service Lead (Former Employee), Milford, CTJuly 24, 2014
Cons: management
The management did not care about the individual and only cared about sales scores.
Under staffed with little help from management
Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee), Naples, FLJuly 21, 2014
Pros: co-workers
Cons: if you were close to 30 hours, you would be sent home to avoid benefits.
As the top earning Senior Sales Associate, I felt no compensation for my efforts

A Typical day would consist of monitoring the sales reads, loyalty sign ups, and ECP and AOS goals from previous sales say.

Sales is a contact sport, and staying on top of my co-workers was a priority, as management ran the numbers to corporate hourly.

The hardest part – more... of my job is I couldn't fly under the radar whatsoever. Being the ''go to'' guy often meant being in 5 places at once.

On the other hand, knowing how to delegate from previous supervisor positions came in very handy. – less
Fun Workplace
Sales Associate/Inventory Clerk (Former Employee), Boca Raton, FLJuly 20, 2014
Pros: great co-workers
Cons: corporate management very impersonal
Mastered multitasking, taking inventory, managing merchandise and providing excellent customer service. At my particular location I had the greatest co-workers who made coming to work and enjoyable obligation.
Employee incentive is awesome
Apparel Lead (Former Employee), Springfield, VAJuly 18, 2014
Pros: incentives.
Cons: some co-workers are difficult to deal wit.
We get promo stuff from vendors. Managers are nice working with and flexible working hours.
Cashier (Former Employee), Metairie, LAJuly 17, 2014
This was a fun a nice place to work. I miss my co worker and environment.
Good place to work for college students.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Tucson, AZJuly 14, 2014
On the surface this particular Sports Authority is well organized and effective, but at its core it has structural weakness, lacks communication, and staff accountability. All and all its a steady job for someone looking to keep busy or income source for the time being, flexible schedule, good in-store benefits.

1 2 3 4 5

About The Sports Authority

Sports Authority, headquartered in Denver, CO, is the one of the leading full-line sporting goods retailer in the United States, – Read more

The Sports Authority Photos