The Sports Authority

The Sports Authority Employee Reviews

change in managment
Senior Sales-Retail (Current Employee), Glendale, WIJune 1, 2015
Pros: sometimes you get free lunch
Cons: constant schedule conflicts
It was originally a nice place to work. I started when there was a new store being built, and I helped build that store from the ground up. The original managers could be a bit harsh, some would even call them bullies, but they constantly went above and beyond in their jobs and that led the people working for them to do the same. As they moved on and got promotions, it seemed as if the company was just handing out random promotions. New management was irresponsible and unreliable. The new management is poor at training new associates and quick to fire any of them if the district manager took notice of any shortcomings. New management is lazy and only cares about leaving the store on time, while expecting entry level employees to go above and beyond for management and customers on the regular basis. There was once a manager there so awful, he was reported to HR the first week he got there. He was very disrespectful to employees and some customers. However, he was a habitual liar and some of those lies helped to get him sales. He really put a bad name on salespeople in general. Then, there was another time HR had to get involved. The store manager, who was above this particular gentleman refused to get involved. So when HR was finally called, the store manager acted like he didn't know that the sales team leader was antagonizing the staff. Even with two HR calls and a slew of customer complaints, the sales team leader was still not fired. He was shipped off to terrorize another store. Cowards at the head of management was awful. There was constantly scheduling conflicts and they were just really unprofessional. All they care about is beating the time clock and forcing stressful conditions on employees so that management can win paid vacations and money that the staff gets none of.
OK place to work
Merchandising (Former Employee), Henderson, NVJune 1, 2015
It has been too long for me to give an accurate review. I remember the pay being decent, but did not have benefits. Employees were friendly and helpful.
Okay to work for,
Sales Associate/ Cashier (Former Employee), Winter Garden, FLJune 1, 2015
Pros: Neutral.
Cons: Coworkers weren't the friendliest.
A typical day you are dealing with merchandise and making sure the store is clean. They encouraged you to approach each customer and offer them items.
Great teamwork
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Stone Mountain, GAJune 1, 2015
Good staff of hourly employees and excellent support from management. Professional atmosphere with ability to have fun with co-workers and customers.
Intense balance of work responsibilities
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Auburn Hills, MIMay 31, 2015
Pros: Friendly environment
Cons: Intense work load
While working at Sports Authority, i picked up a lot of multitasking skills. Having to balance all of my work responsibilities really let me increase my overall productivity.
Busy
Customer service (Former Employee), los angelesMay 26, 2015
Daily goals, orning chat ins on what needed to be done , walk throughs before and after work, Go back, bring out new product, re-arranging, hangering, helping out my co-working, Very fun job.
Great for someone who wants hours
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee), Tulsa, OKMay 26, 2015
This job was great for hours, but when they went out of business I had to find another job. They did not help me in anyway. There are no more locations that I know of.
As A Sr. Tech For Sports Authority
SR. Tech Services (Current Employee), Alexandria, VAMay 26, 2015
Run diagnostic for repairs and operate on at least 10 bicycles a day. Fix damage parts such as derailleurs, freewheels, rims and bottom brackets.String rackets, sharpen skates, fill up compressed air canisters.Install and process new equipment; arrange and fix display cases in a manner that is appealing to the customer.
N/A
Merch Team Leader (Former Employee), Alexandria, VAMay 25, 2015
great place to work at with room to move up. Work is always keeping you busy. Managers and employees really care about their customers.
Busy and overwhelming at times. Fun place to work otherwise
Cash Lead (Current Employee), Norwalk, CTMay 24, 2015
Pros: flexible schedules, good experience, great employee disc.
Cons: holiday time, management
A typical day at work consisted of coming into work and ringing out a ton of customers for a 6-8 hour shift. Black friday is a 15 hour shift not to mention once a year inventory which could be either 4am shifts. But basically i am Non-stop ringing. You have to get over 45% loyalty everyday which means you force people to sign up for a rewards card which helps TSA send ads and mail to customers. You also have to push the extended coverage plans on every product in the store because there is a daily goal of how much to get. I do both extremely well so it isn't all that bad. After a while working of working hard and not getting much accountability at work sucks. SA is good at that. It sure does take a lot to shine at sports authority. There are no raises given by store managers because it all has to go through corporate which many people don't understand because how does a corporate associate know if an employee deserves a raise or not? But thats retail corporate for ya. They also only give us one holiday which is christmas. I've learned a great amount of customer service techniques as well as how to solve customer issues and problems. Being a cash lead means i give a key to the other cashiers and make sure the customer leaves happy with a discount for a expired coupon or price match etc etc.. I also learned that it takes time to move up in retail. I was there for a year and some months getting great loyalty selling lots of extended coverage plans cleaning constantly. Not once was i not busy. Stay busy then work goes faster (obviously). You have to stay really late some nights – more... counting a lot of money making sure the safe and tills are all correct.. some nights i close then had to open the next day barely getting any sleep which sucks because i juggle college. I do like how flexible i can make my schedule for my school semesters though. That is a major plus. The most enjoyable job is most likely the learning experience. I really have learned a lot about retail, customers, how management works, how to please a customer and how to juggle school and work. The pay isn't all that great especially because i think leads have a great responsibility just as much as sales managers.. we are dealing with some really rude snippy customers at times and other store problems but get paid as a regular associate. The cash office is a lot of deal with at times. Everything must be done a certain way or the whole thing is messed up. You get written up if the register is 5$ +up being up short or over and also if you make a mistake in the cash office (to initialing papers or small little things) there is a DM which rarely associates meet or talk to him. You get a 30 min lunch break if u work 6+ hours. You work with a ton of people and many people work and quit. Constantly new hires. Management could definitely use some work. They kind've follow their own rules and guidelines. Everyone gets trained differently and taught different things so you're always learning something new and the proper way to do things one you've made a mistake. Always room for improvement though in every company. – less
This company seemed more concerned about profit than customer satisfaction
Sales Associate (Former Employee), JacksonvilleMay 23, 2015
Every company's first concern is profit, but Sports Authority has been losing customers due to their lack of selection and good prices for customers. They focus on having good customer service, but do not offer customers fair prices or selection like competing sporting-good retail chains do. This is why SA is a failing company.
Fun place to work at with great employees
RETAIL SALES ASSOCIATE AT SPORTS AUTHORITY (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMay 23, 2015
Pros: Great enivornment
Awesome environment, fun people to work with, the managers made you feel comfortable to come to them with any problem or situation.
Goal oriented and great discounts
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Oak Lawn, ILMay 21, 2015
Pros: Discounts, relaxing breaks
Greeting of customers is a everyday responsibility, assisting customers throughout the store. Management is about fifty fifty at this location. You have your days where everything is fine and your days where you don't agree with everything. My co-workers were fun to be around and made the job worth being there. In my opinion there was not a hard part of the job seeing as though I love everything sports related. This was just about the ideal job for me.
Fun and Easy work environment
Apparel Associate (Former Employee), Wilmington, DelawareMay 20, 2015
Pros: Fun, Easy going
Cons: Pay, Hours.
Sport's Authority has a very laid back work environment, it was a pretty easy job and I liked working there. On a typical day I would run the cash register or the apparel department. I learned a lot about making connections with customers. There really wasn't anything hard about the job at all, it's the perfect place for a first job.
Productive and fun place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee), East Palo Alto, CAMay 19, 2015
I enjoy working here because everyone gets along and when we are short staffed we all do the best we can to have a clean steady work place.
Too much, for too little
Store Manager (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZMay 15, 2015
Pros: Great employee discount
Cons: Unattainable expectations with payroll and staffing allowed
The continuing trend for the past 12 years for this company is to cut back on staffing/payroll while extending store hours and requiring more from whatever staff is remaining. There was a time that this company was a complete joy to work for, but that time has come and gone with CEO's changing out every 2 years there's be nothing but chaos.
Many responsibilities, fun environment
Apparel Lead (Former Employee), La Mesa, CAMay 14, 2015
Pros: Everyone collaborated well together
Cons: not enough room for advancement
Greeted customers while keeping the department clean and neat
Learned how to multitask while helping customers
Management was great on the upkeep with new merchandise
Co-workers were helpful in the apparel department and covering breaks when needed
One of the difficult duties were to get the customer to get what was called an ECP (Extended Coverage Plan) on things out of my department
I enjoyed learning about the new apparel arriving to the store
This was a great job especially since i love sports
Team Sales Associate (Former Employee), phoenix, azMay 13, 2015
we would go in and greet everyone we would try to help everyone in what they were looking for made sure we put the prices on everything i also learned how to take apart and rebuild a bike.
Typical day
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Current Employee), Sandy, UTMay 12, 2015
Pros: great work environment
Cons: short breaks
I work on the floor so i have to walk around and help customers show them where everything is. I also help cashier because im friendly and easy to get along with
unilateral management(corp), micro management
sales associate (Former Employee), Norridge,il.May 12, 2015
Pros: interaction with customers
Cons: see above
the pay for what you do is poor.i worked in footwear and and was busy for the most part. were on constant pressure to sell insoles, socks and sometimes you covered other departments so you had to sell Extended Coverage plans and to sign up for the companies loyalty plans. they have have poor marketing plans thus traffic is always down.payroll is a varies from week to week, no overtime(except when corporate comes in so things look look perfect for the top brass),so you can image by the weekend payroll is cut at the busiest part of the week,sat.and sun. their human resources dept.is invisible( except during our perpetration for new store. morale is very poor, even with managers. one of our managers told us that the company has bring in numbers because they are required to hit certain numbers. another manager told me that our internet is owned by some one else!? cashiers we had said they had the worst jobs constantly having to too much. customers would get angry as they just wanted buy and pay and go. it is not a job you want,training is poor(which is composed to starring a at a computer screen to learn) i would like to go the corp office and see how they come up with these poor decisions. they are like little Zeus issuing their edicts from up high (guess that's why they're headquartered in Colorado) by the way, their inventory system and point of sale is so antiquated.

1 2 3 4 5

About The Sports Authority

Sports Authority offers an exciting workplace environment for competitive, talented individuals who are passionate about sports. – Read more

The Sports Authority Salaries

Cashier/Customer Service
$9.00 per hour

The Sports Authority Photos

Sports authority
This is one of our training events “Golf University” which allows vendors to train on new equipment.
Novato, California