The Sports Authority

The Sports Authority Employee Reviews

just another job
Merchandising/Sales (Former Employee), Avon, COMarch 26, 2015
management very unorganized and rude. enjoyed the employees informed with. Micro management. left after 2 years.
learned how to remerchandise and reset an entire store. That was a lot of fun. Fun to redo stores and organize them how they should be.
Very poor ethics and job security
Co-Manager (Former Employee), Coconut Creek FloridaMarch 24, 2015
Pros: none
Cons: age discrimination
Opened new store with exceptional results. I was injured on the job and the company released me which is there policy. Five years latter and three operations and a half million in company cost and they still pay rather than change policy.
Fun place to work
FOOTWEAR SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), Fort Collins, COMarch 23, 2015
co-workers are easy to get along with and the managers do what they can to make the work place fun. you gain a lot of customer service experience. the hardest part was convincing a customer to buy an ítem that compliments the ítem they came looking for. for example, if they came in to a a pair of running shoes, to convince them to buy socks, insoles, and laces.
Retail working enviroment
Merchandising (Former Employee), Westbury, NYMarch 23, 2015
Pros: good work enviroment
Cons: hour cuts
I was always a seasonal worker at this job. The reason being that I was a college student at the time. Overall, it was a friendly work place just because it is a retail position.
Long productive days
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Deerfield Beach, FlMarch 22, 2015
Pros: healthcare, store discount
Cons: short breaks
Help customers with their needs in finding items. Inform customers about protection plans on specific items and about the loyalty program.
great variety of things to buy from
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Massapequa, NYMarch 21, 2015
Pros: short shifts
Cons: stock everyday
deal with customers, nothing hard. putting clothes out for the customers to have easy access and try to learn where everything is in the back rooms.
Good people to work with
Sales and Hard Lines Manager (Former Employee), Montrose, COMarch 19, 2015
Great place to work if you don't want to have to think. People who make decisions will be terminated or at least stopped from advancing.
Awesome work Environment
Team Sales Customer Representative (Former Employee), Englewood, COMarch 19, 2015
Pros: workplace activities
Cons: contract job
Working to fill order for teams was difficult as coaches were rarely in-tune with what they truly wanted. But the office building and environment was awesome. Encouragement of outdoor activities and being involved with co-corkers made the job bearable.
Management is very rude.
Cashier (Former Employee), Clackamas, ORMarch 18, 2015
Pros: couple nice co workers
Cons: rude management, no working ever
My typical day was getting put down and was told i was going to be fired with in my first week of being there because i wasn't doing good enough. I got one day of 3 hour training. No more and they said i was horrible when i tried my hardest. Dont work here.
Fun workplace lots to know
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee), Hawthorne, CAMarch 17, 2015
At Sports Authority I really enjoyed working here due to the fact the management was excellent working with my co-workers was no trouble. I enjoyed it because I would have to sell merchandise encouraged me to make money for the company and for my self. I had to deal with a lot of customers needs because it was a sports store and I knew pretty much knew everything about each sport since the time I got hired.
Fun Work Atmosphere
Assistant Store Manager/Sales/Recieving (Current Employee), Santa Barbara, CA/ Mckinney, TXMarch 16, 2015
Pros: dress code relaxed
Cons: many weekends/nights
I always enjoyed working for them. There was always a tough workload but generally not more than I could handle. The culture is relaxed and management teams generally cohesive.
Overall enjoyable place to work
Assistant Buyer (Former Employee), Englewood, COMarch 16, 2015
Great place to work for the beginning of my career. Advancement opportunities are there for people who work hard and show the desire to advance. Day to day is not bad, some times there are long days but overall the work environment is good.
Great atmosphere with team orientated employees.
Visual Merch Dept. Manager Duties (Former Employee), Iselin, NJMarch 16, 2015
Typical day at work is keeping up with your productivity goal and other areas set each day. I learned never to give up, push sales and goals its never a cannot day you have to strive for it. Management team was ok, I was recognized within 5 months of employment to promotion of a Manager. Team players are the best, theres never a hard part of the job just have to be dedicated. I enjoyed my team players as well as my customers.
Clown town
Sr Tech Services (Former Employee), Hyannis, MAMarch 12, 2015
Pros: if conveniant they will work around your schedule some of the time, employee discount
Cons: low pay, can be physically hard work, corporate is a joke, no structure, no appreciation
If you want a low paying job with no corporate structure, and no room for advancement this is the place for you!! Work for one or twenty one years and be treated the same!

Customer service, sales, labor
Sales at Any cost, employees effected.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), orlando, flMarch 12, 2015
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: no consistency with sales, pay, invetory, or management.
Worked at sports authority in West orlando, Fl for about 9 months. Went through 3 sales ops managers, and 2 store managers. It is quite literally a game to show yourself being "productive". Sales employees are poorly trained in each department unless they have personal experience in the department where they work (fishing, fitness, baseball etc.). Then to show your "sales productivity" you are required to place your sales number stickers on products your customers buy, or if the cashier wants to, they can just scan who ever sold them the product and who ever has the most "sales" gets promoted or more hours.
Cashiers are made to have every transaction either join the rewards program or make sure the customer using existing rewards program to email the customer ads they do not want. Then if you are not successful they will cut your hours passive aggressively. All by a management staff (all the way up to regional) who will increase their sales by manipulating coupons or extending sales just because the customer haggles them. Inventory is a joke as does not accurately reflect the amount of product in the district and can be highly inaccurate. All in all, if your just looking for a job to pass the time, until something else shows up for a few months you can manage. Good luck.
terrible work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Beaverton, ORMarch 11, 2015
worst job I ever had and I don't really want to get into it because it was unpleasant on so many levels and in so many ways. I couldn't have been happier about leaving that work place.
There is no challange to working at Sports Authority
Merchandise Salesman (Former Employee), San Jose, CAMarch 10, 2015
Pros: no pros to working here
Cons: short or no breaks.
Working at Sports Authority is routine on a daily basis. I see no room for expansion and or to move up the ladder to success. Although I did enjoy loading and unloading the freight truck. My co workers worked great together but the management did lack crucial management skills as communication.
Enjoyed my job
Operations/Supervisor (Former Employee), Woodbridge, NJMarch 9, 2015
working for sports authority was a good job for me. loved to play sports so i enjoyed going to work everyday. good management. excellent work environment. they cared about the employees.
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Pembroke Pines, FLMarch 8, 2015
Pros: competitions
Cons: raise policies
As a sales associate I was required to give excellent customer service as well as make sure all customers were matched up with the right products. It wasn't just about sales, but about making the right sales.
Pay stinks
Store Manager - Hard Lines / Customer Service (Former Employee), Queens, NYMarch 8, 2015
Pay stinks. Long days and you are salaried so you do not get compensated for your time. I wouldn't work there if I had to do it again.

About The Sports Authority

Sports Authority offers an exciting workplace environment for competitive, talented individuals who are passionate about sports. – Read more

The Sports Authority Salaries

Store Manager
$61,000 per year

The Sports Authority Photos

Sports authority
This is one of our training events “Golf University” which allows vendors to train on new equipment.
Novato, California