The Sports Authority

The Sports Authority Employer Reviews

fun place to work
sales (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAFebruary 10, 2015
Sales Authority
• Supported management duties and objectives with attentiveness and enthusiasm
• Provided excellent customer service (acknowledged in the corporation newsletter)
• Directed team members to complete everyday company objectives
Not much room for advancement
Sales - Specializing in Team Sports (Former Employee), BurbankFebruary 10, 2015
At 5 hours per week, its not particularly relevant.

They have good locations and adequate stock.

They are fair with their employees.
Sporty Job
Head Cashier / Sales Manager (Former Employee), Miami, FLFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: friendly enviroment
Cons: short breaks
Well this job was a lot of interacting with costumers and you had to keep the store clean up to date and have a lot of money counting and have to be really careful how you handle the money in the store
Productive workplace with Respectable Employees
Merchandising Team Leader (Former Employee), Columbus, OHFebruary 10, 2015
I always work as hard as I can day in and day out to get the job done. The location of the store wasn't great so the business wasn't there as much as everyone would have liked it to be so it made work a little difficult at times.
Sales Associate
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Conyers, GAFebruary 9, 2015
I work on the floor, which is called apparel. I stock clothing items on the floor, I return damaged clothing to that specific vendor, I assist customer with clothing as well, I sign up customers to be apart of rewards program at Sports Authority, and I am also a cashier.
The hardest part of the job is getting customers to sign up for the rewards program with the company and also having them sign up for a extended warranty plan for certain items.
I learned how to be more efficient at work. When I am there, I tend to plan out how I am going to approach my task that evening.
My co-workers are very friendly and they made me feel welcome the first day working at Sports Authority.
The management at Sports Authority are very professional and they know the ins and outs of the business. They know what should be done to help the customers the best way possible. And they too, also, made me feel welcome working there as well.
The most enjoyable part is talking to the customers and giving that person great customer service.
The Sports Authority
Associate (Former Employee), Charter Township of Clinton, MIFebruary 6, 2015
Pros: gaining a knowledge base for sports equipment
Cons: salary
This company helped me gain knowledge of different sports equipment and inventory as well as learning how to meet sales goals and expectations. I learned alot about sports inventory. I was expected to take and keep up with inventory as well as assist customers with their purchase options.
A day at Sports Authority
SALES ASSOCIATE/WAREHOUSE (Former Employee), North Charleston, SCFebruary 5, 2015
A typical day at work at Sports Authority would start would doing freight in the back of the store. I would unload the trucks and get the freight ready to go out on the floor. After I would put the freight on the floor I would go around and make sure everything was priced correctly. If prices needed to be changed I would be the one to change them. I learned that hard work actually does pay off. My main concern was to get the freight out and anything else in the back that needed to be done after I would do that I would walk around the floor as ask customers if they needed any assistance. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning new things everyday and interacting with the customers.
fun place to work
Bicycle Technician, co2 certified tech (Current Employee), Miami, FLFebruary 3, 2015
provide outstanding customer service. answer questions, give options to the customers. Assist customers in the hard line area. repair bicycles to make sure the parts were assembled properly. Filling of CO2 for the use of paintball guns.
great work home life balance but not alot of earning potential....
Manager (Current Employee), South FloridaJanuary 30, 2015
Pros: discounts on merchandise
Cons: holiday hours
Great if you are a manager for benefits and time off. Corporate managers are however disappointing and ineffective. Salary will be hourly unless hired at as a store manager and capped low at best. Hourly or cashier will find hours to be less than full time and very limited earning potential. great while someone is in college but not a career path.
A very flexible job that offers great benefits.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Honolulu, HIJanuary 29, 2015
I was able to go to school and work at the same time. They offer you benefits even if you are part time, which is really convenient for the students.
Great fellow employees, & a great learning experience
Sales Floor Supervisor (Current Employee), Glendale,COJanuary 27, 2015
Pros: great people & great enviorement
Cons: too many politics
After clocking in I see what numbers we need to make for the day & what departments need extra help. (I am the guy who can cover any department.) Then, to the floor, selling with excellent customer service, helping out fellow employees with questions & problems they may face, & last, but far from least, training & tasking employees in areas that need some work. I've learned a lot about what it takes to be a great manager versus what shouldn't be done as a manager (no matter the position). I love all my co-workers that I've had around me. We may disagree on things, but we come together as a team when it matters. The hardest part of the job is the politics. Being one of the biggest Sports Authorities in the country, there is a lot of politics that I greet daily with a smile. The thing I enjoy most is the comroderey that each location I've worked at seems to have.
Decent place to work
Firearms Specialist (Former Employee), Medford ORJanuary 25, 2015
Pros: discount on firearms and other products in store
Cons: managers, pay, hours worked, company
Decent place to work but has poor management and poor company treatment of employees.
Great Place to Work
Merchandising Manager (Former Employee), Puyallup, WAJanuary 24, 2015
Pros: sports, free food, great employee discount
Cons: schedule
Sports Authority is a great place to work. I love sports so I fit right in. The culture is all about the customer and giving them a great experience. I really enjoyed getting kids and adults prepared for what ever adventure awaited them. I would recommend Sports Authority to anyone interested in Sports and Wilderness
An awful place to work
Senior Sales Associate - Footwear (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: 30-minute lunch break, very decent employee discount
Cons: everything else
The particular location I was at was connected to a mall, so this added a great deal of recovery to our workload at the end of the night compared to other stores. The work itself was not difficult, but often, tasks not finished by other departments were dumped onto others who already had responsibilities to attend to that day. I was forced to do more warehouse and merchandising work than I did sales, most days, and was then reprimanded for not making my numbers, though usually I made them anyway. Excuses were not tolerated, I was simply expected to "work harder".

I had five managers, and most days, there were that many associates (or less) doing a majority of the work. Most of the time, management was at war with itself, and a few characters among them were extra sleazy. Our general manager was only there on an all-expense paid vacation in the city, and would muck up everyone's requested time off by allotting time off for himself almost every weekend. One manager was a bully who spent his day spreading rumors and harassing the employees, usually until they quit out of frustration. He had been with the company for the better part of two decades, so it was unlikely HR or anyone else would rout out this parasite. Most of the actual paperwork and basic store functions were performed by a single manager, who was always at her wits end with the lack of responsibility of her peers. The hardest part of my day was stomaching my disgust for these inept individuals who apparently got promoted solely by sucking up to the higher-ups.

The most enjoyable part of my day was helping customers! – more... Not only were they appreciative of the outstanding customer service I provided at the associate level, they often witnessed - through their experiences in the store - just how poorly managed our company was. Many times, they mistook me for a manager, and were surprised when I had to call an actual member of our management team over to authorize a sale or discount.

I would never work for this company again, and the way things look, I may never have to. I would be surprised if this company lasts another 5 years, if that. – less
Great sports place to work.
Customer Service Representative/ Sales Associate (Former Employee), Lilburn, GAJanuary 22, 2015
Sports Authority is a great place to work. If you love sports and love to tell people what they need for a certain sport, then Sports Authority is the place for.
n/a
Sales employee, Operations and Hardiness manager (Former Employee), Lancaster, PAJanuary 21, 2015
I had multiple positions with the company. Staff was rotating out monthly so it was hard to build a culture for the employees. Management played favoritism, typical retail environment not a great job work/life balance. A lot of training from outside venders, had a great discount program.
Great company to work for.
Department Manager (Former Employee), Matteson, ILJanuary 21, 2015
I would recommend this company to many people. The compensation is very competitive.
Productive and Interactive
Cashier/Customer Service/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Livingston, NJJanuary 20, 2015
The job was kind of hard but not because of management, I was about 2 or 3 months pregnant while working for sports authority. But overall the job was a positive place to work at I learned new things and became product knowledgeable. I met new people and enjoyed working with my co-workers they were positive and made me feel comfortable working there. The hardest part about the job was the holidays because everybody wanted the deals that were offered and sometime it became confusing, not to mention around that time the store was offering coupons, so it helped the company and some of my employees but it was a little stressful on me being as though I was with child. The most enjoyable part of my job was making sure the customers were satisfied and wanted to return to the store to shop and feel wanted as though they were one of us.
work place
Cashier (Former Employee), Massapequa Park, NYJanuary 20, 2015
manager wasn't understanding they are not professional and they treat their employees bad
Clean and Enjoyable working environment, Great management.
MERCHANDISER/CUSTOMER SERVICE AUTHORITY (Former Employee), Largo, MDJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: professional atmosphere, very good trainers and management
Cons: n/a
I unloaded trucks, regularly did price changes. and Merchandising new and old stock for the store. I learned everything there is to know about shipment, merchandising,pricing, and developing a customer service base, while sorting and multi-tasking at the same time. The management was very professional and kind to their associates. The people that I worked with are a highly trained merchandising team.The working environment was friendly and the work ethics were to high standard. The most enjoyable part of my job was the customers and being able to make sure that before they got to the exit that they were 100 percent satisfied.

About The Sports Authority

Sports Authority offers an exciting workplace environment for competitive, talented individuals who are passionate about sports. – Read more

The Sports Authority Photos