The Standard Insurance

The Standard Insurance Employer Reviews

New Business Data Specialist
New Business Data Specialist (Former Employee), Portland, ORNovember 18, 2014
Pros: i had a pension plan with health care.
Cons: changing the pension plan and having to retire early.
My work day was talking on the phone helping and training on how to use our payroll system for uploading retirement contribution. Setting up new clients in our system so they would have access to our system. Also setting up all participant in the new plan.

I worked in a very close group of co-workers we had to work together so we were on top of any – more... issues with the system and working with clients that were having issue and covering for each other so our clients were always in good hands.

The hardest part of the job was when they made changes to the system they would not let us know and were would find out from clients.

The best part of the job was helping somebody and and making their job better. – less
Positive
Intern (Former Employee), Portland OregonOctober 27, 2014
I learned to work with other age groups besides my own and how to be more social and customer friendly.
Great company with a culture of career development
Absence Coordinator I (Current Employee), Portland, OROctober 17, 2014
An exciting, well established company in the Portland Or area
Great place to start a career
Life Claims Examiner (Current Employee), Portland, ORSeptember 27, 2014
The standard is a wonderful employer to start your career and build your resume.
GREAT JOB CULTURE FANTASTIC MANAGEMENT
Product & Service Specialist (Current Employee), Portland, ORAugust 18, 2014
THE STANDARD IS ONE OF THE BEST COMPANIES I HAVE WORKED FOR THE CULTURE HERE IS AMAZING AND THE MANAGEMENT TEAM AS WELL. I HAVE GAINED SOME GREAT EXPERIENCE HERE AND LOOK FORWARD TO USING SKILLS I HAVE OBTAINED AS CONTINUE TO STRIVE FOR BIGGER AND BETTER POSITIONS IN THE WORLD OF BUSINESS.
It's an insurance company....
Senior Disability Benefits Analyst (Current Employee), Portland, ORAugust 5, 2014
For better or worse Standard is an insurance company. Stable and conservative company which should be around for a long time. Reasonably good benefits and a nice place to work.

However over the last 6-7 years the culture has changed. The pendulum swings often with reactions and counter-reactions constantly. Immediate managers and directors seem to – more... know whats going on but I really question the higher ups if they understand what the consequences of their actions are.

Very dated technology has cost customers and money. No real investment seen when it comes to technology and minimal work from home options. – less
Wonderful atmosphere
Events Manager/Server/ Mini Bar (Former Employee), Miami Beach, FLJune 3, 2014
Set up and ran events for Art Basel (2 years)
Worked closely with the General Manager with all events
Managed, set up, and ran weekly and monthly parties
Served both pool and restaurant
A good workplace that provides all our needs.
Marketing Assistant (Former Employee), Camairines Sur,PhilippinesJune 2, 2014
My typical day at work is dealing with people and providing their needs. I learned a lot about dealing with different people and managing office works. The management provide us a good training and supply us with all we need. The hardest part of this job was the handling of bunch of customers, especially when it was peak season and I do all the task – more... alone. The most enjoyable is when customers are satisfied with our service ad simply says thank you ad promised to be back again, with a smile o their face – less
Strong company that is regularly challenging itself and employees to improve.
Team Leader, Policy Administration (Former Employee), Portland, ORMarch 18, 2014
I had much opportunity at The Standard. I worked for and with many different individuals who challenged me, supported me and allowed me to develop additional skills such as project management.
Twelve years at a company in today's corporate environment means you'll see a lot of change. I learned the importance of flexibility, determination and responsibility – more... as well as adaptability.
The hardest part of my day was managing through a booked calendar of back to back meetings which primarily focused on future strategies and plans, while making time for employees and the day to day obstacles that can occur during regular business hours. The most enjoyable and rewarding part of my role was in seeing the cultivation of my employees, and the development of their skills and leadership abilities and how this was reflected in an effective, efficient team which could take on additional responsibilities. – less
Management is more reactionary than actionary
Analyst (Current Employee), Portland, OregonMarch 10, 2014
Overall, the teams and employees at the Standard are exemplary however at times it appears that management is so focused on the numbers and bottom line that they forget about the people who help them achieve these.
Office Work Place
Administrative Representative (Former Employee), Portland, ORFebruary 26, 2014
If you enjoy working with people from various background and cultures, then this place is for you. The company do encourage employees to improve themselves through education and training. However there are constant office politics all around you. It can make your work difficult for you. You are constantly dealing with people with mood swings.
Solid company with a good culture
Project Manager II (Current Employee), Portland, ORJanuary 19, 2014
Flexible work schedule options which help to maintain work/life balance.
Hired as a contract employee for 30 days extended to 90 days
Policy Administration Specialist (Former Employee), Portland, ORJanuary 6, 2014
Pros: learn additional experience and knowledge in disability benefits
Cons: flexibility of work hours
I enjoyed the position and the verity of daily assignments.
I learned a lot about the job, as well the department learning from me.
The job was another step in my career in health service.
A good learning experience with the Standard Insurance company in regards to business and technology.
Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee), Portland, OregonOctober 14, 2013
I had a chance to work with many areas of the business and great people.
flexable hours
Disability Claims/FMLA-Temporary Job (Former Employee), Portland, ORSeptember 3, 2013
Pros: free lunches
Cons: short staff
It was a good crowd, lots of great people. Nice benefits............................................
Very productive focused environment
Leave of Absence Coordinator (Current Employee), Hillsboro, ORAugust 30, 2013
Pros: lots of benefits
Cons: workforce automated so all time off phone is timed-production oriented highly
Standard listens to it's employees to directly affect their bottom line and planned initiatives. Great people to work with. Lots of training available mostly module self paced trainings involving a computer and some live teacher interactions
Old company with old values and old ways of doing business
Manager Business Process (Current Employee), Portland, ORAugust 20, 2013
Pros: fliexible hours, good physical environment
Cons: poor management, no desire to better the company
The Standard has been in one place for 130 years. Their processes are largely paper based and well behind the industry curve. The benefits and compensation packages are below average.
The best company to work for in Portland Oregon
Premium Accounting Specialist (Former Employee), Portland, ORJuly 25, 2013
Processing daily payments for insurance premium payments from various companies for their employee's insurance.
Research missing payments, journal entries.
I my tenure there I wrote the Policies and Producers Manual for my position.
Decent
Disability Benefits Examiner (Current Employee), Hillsboro, ORMay 19, 2013
Customer service
Good supervisors
Unclear direction of company from upper management
Poor career advancement
Commission Contract Specialist
Commission Contract Specialist (Former Employee), Portland, ORMarch 30, 2013
Analyzed and implemented forms of compensation for the Brokers, payment procedures and tax reporting related to producer compensation. Developed management reports for commissions. Utilized a software for the commission payments. I learned about the software program being used to pay the commissions. I learned that the management tried to make all the – more... employees successful. The hardest part of the job was getting all the work done. The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with the Insurance Brokers. – less

1 2 3

About The Standard Insurance

Standard Insurance hopes to set the standard for life and disability¬†insurance providers everywhere. Standard Insurance underwrites – Read more