The Standard Insurance

The Standard Insurance Employer Reviews

A good workplace that provides all our needs.
Marketing Assistant (Former Employee), Camairines Sur,PhilippinesJune 2, 2014
My typical day at work is dealing with people and providing their needs. I learned a lot about dealing with different people and managing office works. The management provide us a good training and supply us with all we need. The hardest part of this job was the handling of bunch of customers, especially when it was peak season and I do all the task – more... alone. The most enjoyable is when customers are satisfied with our service ad simply says thank you ad promised to be back again, with a smile o their face – less
Working with professionals in a Non-Life Insurance world
I.T Clerk / Assistant (Former Employee), Manila, PhilippinesMarch 21, 2014
Supervised the User‚Äôs Manual of software developed by ITD. Conducted training on MS Office such as Word 97, Excel 97 and Windows 98 to users. Assisted end-users with their Microsoft Office concerns. Responsible for all requisition of hardware/software purchases. Maintained and administered the filing system of ITD. Ensured that the incoming and outgoing – more... inter-office memoranda were properly received/released and recorded in the corresponding logbooks. Made proper classification and indexing of files. Monitored the lending and return of IT related tools and materials in their respective logbooks. Monitored the disposal of records based on the retention location file of the department. Updated the ISO Procedure Manual. Performed other duties and responsibilities assigned by my superior from time to time – less
Strong company that is regularly challenging itself and employees to improve.
Team Leader, Policy Administration (Former Employee), Portland, ORMarch 18, 2014
I had much opportunity at The Standard. I worked for and with many different individuals who challenged me, supported me and allowed me to develop additional skills such as project management.
Twelve years at a company in today's corporate environment means you'll see a lot of change. I learned the importance of flexibility, determination and responsibility – more... as well as adaptability.
The hardest part of my day was managing through a booked calendar of back to back meetings which primarily focused on future strategies and plans, while making time for employees and the day to day obstacles that can occur during regular business hours. The most enjoyable and rewarding part of my role was in seeing the cultivation of my employees, and the development of their skills and leadership abilities and how this was reflected in an effective, efficient team which could take on additional responsibilities. – less
Management is more reactionary than actionary
Analyst (Current Employee), Portland, OregonMarch 10, 2014
Overall, the teams and employees at the Standard are exemplary however at times it appears that management is so focused on the numbers and bottom line that they forget about the people who help them achieve these.
Office Work Place
Administrative Representative (Former Employee), Portland, ORFebruary 26, 2014
If you enjoy working with people from various background and cultures, then this place is for you. The company do encourage employees to improve themselves through education and training. However there are constant office politics all around you. It can make your work difficult for you. You are constantly dealing with people with mood swings.
Solid company with a good culture
Project Manager II (Current Employee), Portland, ORJanuary 19, 2014
Flexible work schedule options which help to maintain work/life balance.
Productive and fun work place. Family oriented.
Graphic Artist / Marketing Assistant (Former Employee), Makati, PhilippinesJanuary 6, 2014
Pros: free breakfast, lunch and dinner during events and has transportation allowance
Since i'm in the marketing communications department, most of the time i layout and design brochures, flyers and other marketing collaterals for different departments and branches. Sometimes update our company website. Sometimes provides support to the events and sponsorship of the company.

During my stay there i learned to manage my files and put – more... it in order for others to find it with out me. I also learned to set time frames for different work loads.

Mangement here is considerate and approachable. also it always aims to be the best non-life insurane in the country.

I made many friends here. being here is like second home and people here are very professional and approachable.

I can't say anything about the hardest part of the job because i love everything i do in standard insurance. – less
Hired as a contract employee for 30 days extended to 90 days
Policy Administration Specialist (Former Employee), Portland, ORJanuary 6, 2014
Pros: learn additional experience and knowledge in disability benefits
Cons: flexibility of work hours
I enjoyed the position and the verity of daily assignments.
I learned a lot about the job, as well the department learning from me.
The job was another step in my career in health service.
A good learning experience with the Standard Insurance company in regards to business and technology.
Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee), Portland, OregonOctober 14, 2013
I had a chance to work with many areas of the business and great people.
flexable hours
Disability Claims/FMLA-Temporary Job (Former Employee), Portland, ORSeptember 3, 2013
Pros: free lunches
Cons: short staff
It was a good crowd, lots of great people. Nice benefits............................................
Very productive focused environment
Leave of Absence Coordinator (Current Employee), Hillsboro, ORAugust 30, 2013
Pros: lots of benefits
Cons: workforce automated so all time off phone is timed-production oriented highly
Standard listens to it's employees to directly affect their bottom line and planned initiatives. Great people to work with. Lots of training available mostly module self paced trainings involving a computer and some live teacher interactions
Old company with old values and old ways of doing business
Manager Business Process (Current Employee), Portland, ORAugust 20, 2013
Pros: fliexible hours, good physical environment
Cons: poor management, no desire to better the company
The Standard has been in one place for 130 years. Their processes are largely paper based and well behind the industry curve. The benefits and compensation packages are below average.
The best company to work for in Portland Oregon
Premium Accounting Specialist (Former Employee), Portland, ORJuly 25, 2013
Processing daily payments for insurance premium payments from various companies for their employee's insurance.
Research missing payments, journal entries.
I my tenure there I wrote the Policies and Producers Manual for my position.
Decent
Disability Benefits Examiner (Current Employee), Hillsboro, ORMay 19, 2013
Customer service
Good supervisors
Unclear direction of company from upper management
Poor career advancement
Commission Contract Specialist
Commission Contract Specialist (Former Employee), Portland, ORMarch 30, 2013
Analyzed and implemented forms of compensation for the Brokers, payment procedures and tax reporting related to producer compensation. Developed management reports for commissions. Utilized a software for the commission payments. I learned about the software program being used to pay the commissions. I learned that the management tried to make all the – more... employees successful. The hardest part of the job was getting all the work done. The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with the Insurance Brokers. – less
Top in employee benefit coverage. One of my best employers
Sales Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee), Wayne, PAMarch 22, 2013
The time I worked there was fun and learned about the employee benefit insurance business the trainning was top natch. The company's curture was family and in our office we cared about each other the managment cared at the time.

Some days were long ones but I ENJOYED working there.
Excellent Company
Technical Writer (Current Employee), Portland, ORMarch 21, 2013
Pros: excellent management, culture, and team members
Cons: inefficient
I enjoyed my time at The Standard very much because I love working with good people, and The Standard has excellent team members, management, and culture. I would recommend this company to anyone interested in financial products and services.
Great Employer with a Failure to Launch
Implementation & Underwriting Specialist II (Current Employee), Portland, ORMarch 8, 2013
Pros: great employees. great product. good benefits.
Cons: lack of corporate goals. low retention. fear of buyout.
The Standard has been a good and fair employer to me. In fact, they have helped me develop a level of corporate maturity that was much needed in my career and developed many on my talents into tangible skills that will translate into many areas of my personal and professional life. They produce great product, supported by an excellent and dedicated – more... staff.

Unfortunately, they lack the ability and vision to help their employees grow and prosper in the environment they promote. This is not to say that I am not grateful for my time and development with this employer, only that it is time to move on and grow in a prosperous and talent fostering environment. This employer's ability to retain and foster talent, as well as growth, leave much to be desired. – less
high traffic.overtime .
Server (Former Employee), Miami Beach, FLMarch 1, 2013
Pros: everything
Cons: break food wasnt good.no new uniform shirts
i loved the place. managers were hilarious.
a typical day at work? hectic yet fun.
coworkers? everyone picks up after themselves.i likes.
hardest part? the summer. (sigh) wow.
well, everyone there held just the same weight in responsibilities so we were all accountable of things but the best part of work that made it enjoyable was when we would gather – more... and take organis ginger shots before " The rush" came ":) thats what we called the currents of people who would visit for the art basel, or would take their company out to dinner. – less
Standard is still a good place to work, although the corporate culture has changed since I started here in 2005
Rating Analyst - Underwriting Department (Current Employee), Portland, ORJanuary 28, 2013
When I started here, my team leader sent me to six weeks of risk management training to prepare me for group insurance renewal underwriting which was part of my job in addition to client service work. From that position, I moved full time into the underwriting department where I have spent the last four years underwriting group insurance sales proposals.

About The Standard Insurance

Standard Insurance hopes to set the standard for life and disability¬†insurance providers everywhere. Standard Insurance underwrites – Read more