The Standard Insurance

The Standard Insurance Employee Reviews

company promotes advancement from within
Enrolling group member (Former Employee), Portland, ORApril 28, 2015
the downside is most positions rely on tribal knowledge for training new employees, this sets up the new people for failure. You can only learn the material that has been presented.
fun with free lunch and free gym access
BUSSER/BUSBOY (Former Employee), 40 island aveApril 26, 2015
Pros: free lunch, at the beach.
Cons: Management
restocking the stations, making sure all the equipment is clean if not go and clean them. roll-ups for about an hour. set tables and move umbrellas for customers. Some co-workers are responsible others are lazy. Some management would keep you after youve clocked out and not mark it in that you stayed for an addition hour or two. Events were the most enjoyable because you work for your money. in those events youd earn for you work as to splitting the tip with everyone even if they didnt work and hide in the back all day.
Not Recommended
Employee Benefits (Former Employee), Portland, OregonApril 18, 2015
Cons: terrible senior management, meager investment in employee training and career development, low pay, increasing number of non-technical managers who "manage people" but don't know the business, culture of misery and fear
The Standard is a company in decline and is no longer a good place to work or further your career.

Standard's senior management has been shedding excellent employees for nearly ten years. The senior management seems to care about stock price and their own multi-million dollar salaries. They set the tone at this company big time, and a positive work environment is not a priority.

Many MANY employees are unhappy at Standard.

Salaries for the rank and file are below average, and training for employees is weak. Do yourself a favor: ask HR professionals or hiring managers at OTHER companies what they think of employees coming from Standard. Do they find that their skills and experience are good in comparison to candidates from other companies? The answer is "no."

My only regret leaving Standard is that I didn't leave several years earlier.
Disengaged
Deconversion Manager (Current Employee), Portland, ORMarch 16, 2015
This company is no longer putting employees first, and is no longer a culture in which I feel I can grow. It used to feel like family with all kinds of opportunity.
The Best IT To Work For
IT Infrastructure System Engineer (Former Employee), Portland, ORFebruary 26, 2015
Standard Insurance proves it is possible that an entire IT department can function without negative politics such as backbiting and false accusations. The IT department employees are sincerely hardworking, happy, friendly, and intelligent. Kudos to all the staff/management in IT for making it the best positive corporate atmosphere I have ever witnessed.
stagnant corporate culture
Absence Coordinator (Current Employee), Portland, ORFebruary 10, 2015
Very top down management structure, advancement is based on who you know (and who likes you) rather than seniority or qualifications. Employees are leaving in droves for competitors such as Matrix and Aetna.
Data admin and policy work
Policy Administration Representative (Former Employee), Portland, ORJanuary 24, 2015
Pros: decent benefits, steady job, streamlined tasks
Cons: management may get uptight about time taken off
Most mornings are spent adding tens-to-hundreds of payments into the system. The rest of the day is used for setting up new policies sent from the underwriters, doing data entry for groups wanting to enlist or take off employees from their plans, and various other small tasks dealing with the system or with plan folders. Management can be upbeat and supportive, and the general feeling of the office is nice. There can be busy stressful days, but you're typically rewarded or noticed for high numbers. I worked in a smaller department cordoned away from the much larger remainder of the company, so results may vary.
Good Enough
Individual Contributor (Former Employee), Portland, ORDecember 28, 2014
Pros: location
Good location and decent enough. Work is not terribly exciting. Lots of managers and not great interdepartmental communication. Poor communication by management regarding the direction of the business/expectations. Salary disparities between upper management and the rest of the company are significant-to be expected in a publicly traded company of this size.
Worked as a Temp
RATING ANALYST (Former Employee), Portland, ORNovember 19, 2014
Worked as a temporary employee throughout their busy season. Nice place to work.
New Business Data Specialist
New Business Data Specialist (Former Employee), Portland, ORNovember 18, 2014
Pros: i had a pension plan with health care.
Cons: changing the pension plan and having to retire early.
My work day was talking on the phone helping and training on how to use our payroll system for uploading retirement contribution. Setting up new clients in our system so they would have access to our system. Also setting up all participant in the new plan.

I worked in a very close group of co-workers we had to work together so we were on top of any issues with the system and working with clients that were having issue and covering for each other so our clients were always in good hands.

The hardest part of the job was when they made changes to the system they would not let us know and were would find out from clients.

The best part of the job was helping somebody and and making their job better.
Positive
Intern (Former Employee), Portland OregonOctober 27, 2014
I learned to work with other age groups besides my own and how to be more social and customer friendly.
Great company with a culture of career development
Absence Coordinator I (Current Employee), Portland, OROctober 17, 2014
An exciting, well established company in the Portland Or area
Great place to start a career
Life Claims Examiner (Current Employee), Portland, ORSeptember 27, 2014
The standard is a wonderful employer to start your career and build your resume.
GREAT JOB CULTURE FANTASTIC MANAGEMENT
Product & Service Specialist (Current Employee), Portland, ORAugust 18, 2014
THE STANDARD IS ONE OF THE BEST COMPANIES I HAVE WORKED FOR THE CULTURE HERE IS AMAZING AND THE MANAGEMENT TEAM AS WELL. I HAVE GAINED SOME GREAT EXPERIENCE HERE AND LOOK FORWARD TO USING SKILLS I HAVE OBTAINED AS CONTINUE TO STRIVE FOR BIGGER AND BETTER POSITIONS IN THE WORLD OF BUSINESS.
It's an insurance company....
Senior Disability Benefits Analyst (Current Employee), Portland, ORAugust 5, 2014
For better or worse Standard is an insurance company. Stable and conservative company which should be around for a long time. Reasonably good benefits and a nice place to work.

However over the last 6-7 years the culture has changed. The pendulum swings often with reactions and counter-reactions constantly. Immediate managers and directors seem to know whats going on but I really question the higher ups if they understand what the consequences of their actions are.

Very dated technology has cost customers and money. No real investment seen when it comes to technology and minimal work from home options.
Wonderful atmosphere
Events Manager/Server/ Mini Bar (Former Employee), Miami Beach, FLJune 3, 2014
Set up and ran events for Art Basel (2 years)
Worked closely with the General Manager with all events
Managed, set up, and ran weekly and monthly parties
Served both pool and restaurant
A good workplace that provides all our needs.
Marketing Assistant (Former Employee), Camairines Sur,PhilippinesJune 2, 2014
My typical day at work is dealing with people and providing their needs. I learned a lot about dealing with different people and managing office works. The management provide us a good training and supply us with all we need. The hardest part of this job was the handling of bunch of customers, especially when it was peak season and I do all the task alone. The most enjoyable is when customers are satisfied with our service ad simply says thank you ad promised to be back again, with a smile o their face
Strong company that is regularly challenging itself and employees to improve.
Team Leader, Policy Administration (Former Employee), Portland, ORMarch 18, 2014
I had much opportunity at The Standard. I worked for and with many different individuals who challenged me, supported me and allowed me to develop additional skills such as project management.
Twelve years at a company in today's corporate environment means you'll see a lot of change. I learned the importance of flexibility, determination and responsibility as well as adaptability.
The hardest part of my day was managing through a booked calendar of back to back meetings which primarily focused on future strategies and plans, while making time for employees and the day to day obstacles that can occur during regular business hours. The most enjoyable and rewarding part of my role was in seeing the cultivation of my employees, and the development of their skills and leadership abilities and how this was reflected in an effective, efficient team which could take on additional responsibilities.
Management is more reactionary than actionary
Analyst (Current Employee), Portland, OregonMarch 10, 2014
Overall, the teams and employees at the Standard are exemplary however at times it appears that management is so focused on the numbers and bottom line that they forget about the people who help them achieve these.
Office Work Place
Administrative Representative (Former Employee), Portland, ORFebruary 26, 2014
If you enjoy working with people from various background and cultures, then this place is for you. The company do encourage employees to improve themselves through education and training. However there are constant office politics all around you. It can make your work difficult for you. You are constantly dealing with people with mood swings.

1 2 3

About The Standard Insurance

Standard Insurance hopes to set the standard for life and disability¬†insurance providers everywhere. Standard Insurance underwrites – Read more

The Standard Insurance Salaries