The Standard Insurance Employee Reviews

Stressful and overloaded employees are underappreciated
Underwriting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 13, 2017
I used to love my job when I came . When we got
bought out by an overseas company, a lot of people left and I was left to be the only one in my position when there used to be more of us, then we also acquired more insurance and hundreds more policies with no more people being hired to help. The managers do not care about the employees.
Stagnant and Few Advancement Opportunities Since Acquisition
Indirect Spend (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 9, 2017
The Standard was once a place of ample opportunity with a fast-paced environment and drive for success. It is now a privately owned company with the only real chance of getting a raise or payout being low claims payout. There are very few internal opportunities for advancement. Management is more concerned with their paychecks and job titles than they are about their teams. It's become very political and fake. Once upon a time, The Standard instilled pride. Now, it's just a circus of bad line management who are in it for themselves and senior management whose only drive is to keep getting their big paychecks. This isn't the same company it used to be.
Pros
Flexible hours due to commuting
Cons
Healthcare is not the best, management is probably the worst it's been in years
Very supportive for someone who is self-motivated
Life Benefits Analyst (Current Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORNovember 30, 2017
I am a very hard worker and have an excellent work ethic. I require very little supervision and am always willing to help other employees in need. I learn very quickly and retain what I have learned. A prospective employer will garner this quickly.
Pros
Flexible and supportive
Sevice Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 29, 2017
No review to give of this company at this time. I don't currently have anything positive or negative to say. It is a great company overall and does what it can to meet employee needs. Great benefits.
Awesome place to work
ABSENCE MANAGEMENT SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORNovember 29, 2017
Just and incredible company to work for. Love this place. Wish I did not had to relocate. Career advancement and great culture. Most enjoyable part of the job was everything. From the training to the actual job itself.
Sweat Shop
Senior Underwriter, employee benefits (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 22, 2017
My peers are great. The work is interesting with a mix of disciplines and interaction among any department. But there's never time to do the work properly. There's intense pressure to churn work, and harsh criticism when mistakes are made or work is late, Everyone feels they are on the edge of being fired or demoted. Some people are natural chameleons and interact with management in such a way that they are favored. Some people stay below the radar. That's how you survive.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
pressure
Good
Disability Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 18, 2017
It's a good company to work for. The management team is understanding about personal life issues. As a remote employee they check in often to make sure you have the resources you need.
Too much work not enough people
Defined Contribution Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 9, 2017
Very fast paced, competitive and stressful, way too much work for amount of employees to handle which causes those who are salaried to work a lot of overtime. The people and company are great though.
Work/life balance
Temporary/ Contract (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 2, 2017
The Standard supports work/life balance. The people are great- team oriented. The overall organization is becoming more strategic in their focus and activities and showing industry results.
Pros
Volunteerism, Work/life balance
Cons
Upward mobility
Senior Statutory Reporting Accountant (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 29, 2017
I like working for Standard insurance, because they provided the flexibility. I also like to benefit the company provided. The pay is not that competitive.

Management is a bit slow on change, but overall, a great place to work and retire. Many free public events offered to employees as part of the company benefit.
Pros
people
Cons
pay grade

Want to know more about The Standard Insurance?

Ask a question
Excellent place to work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 17, 2017
Supportive culture that values advancement and work/life balance. Process improvement is gaining popularity. Buildings were recently remodeled. It's a great place.
Awesome Company
Sales Underwriter/Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNOctober 10, 2017
Great place to work. Everything was great about this company. Job security would be the only thing that would concern me due to layoff due to cutbacks missing goals
Pros
All around great place to work, earnings, benefits, people
Cons
No Job Security
Challenging
INVOICE CLERK (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 8, 2017
I learned about the trucking industry very quickly. This job was a lot of manual paperwork, matching bills with supporting documents, stuffing envelopes, it was always a race to see who could get the most done the fastest! Awesome starting position.
Pros
Learned alot
Cons
Crazy deadlines
Fun place to work depending on the area of business
Underwriting Analyst (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 3, 2017
Depending on your manager and area of business, Standard can be a fun place with great work/life balance.
I had an awesome manager
I enjoyed working here except pay is not at par with current market
Workplace was slow paced and easy most days
Trading Specialist Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAOctober 3, 2017
The work we did was steady and relatively easy with few problems. I had a wonderful team working under my management that took care of most errors in the data themselves leaving me to be able to do my work without too many interruptions. I enjoyed my time there as a manager while I was able to do some development work in the core programming we were using.
Little regard for life; expects employees to be machines
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 26, 2017
Systematically shifting to a management style that is treating the employees less like humans and more like machines. This started right after they were bought out and were no longer a publically owned business.
The Standard is an excellent place to begin a career or if looking for advancement opportunities.
Manager, Premium Services (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 20, 2017
There is a true desire from the leadership team to provide the best experience for their employees. Decisions are made with the intention of giving the most balance for employees while still providing top rated products and services.
Fun place to work
Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 17, 2017
It's good place to be with all cultures co-workers, also enjoyed with all other events which happen very often. Nice campus in Downtown which is very easy for commute.
Pros
flexible work timings
Cons
no cafeteria
Solid Employer, Great supportive people
Individual Contributor (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 14, 2017
Good place to work. Respectful people. For most areas, a good work/life balance. Leaders seem to really care about their people. The work is challenging - it's what you make it. Lots of opportunity to make an impact in a company that really wants to provide the best service to its customers.
Pros
Generous Paid Time Off Program, Great People
Cons
Budget is tight - to do much beyond the basics
Great office environment and company culture!
Defined Contribution Associate (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHSeptember 13, 2017
Great office environment and company culture!

I have built a lot of great working relationships at The Standard. They offer fair pay and room for advancement. Management seems involved and transparent.