The Standard Insurance Employee Reviews

Private (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCOctober 6, 2015
My Manager and co-workers are what have kept me at The Standard over the last few years. My Manager believes in proper work/life balance and expects employees to do what they need to in order to have a proper balance. Unfortunately, it's difficult to maintain a proper balance due to the overwhelming work load, understaffed departments, an non-caring employees. Additionally, the company cares too much about it's bottom line than the employees who are keeping the company successful and profitable.
Pros
Great health benefits, with excellent disability and life products, transit subsidizing, and health care subsidizing
Cons
Management is disconnected from staff, HR is out of touch, and CEO is big business focused
Typical insurance company
Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 27, 2015
Good company to work for in regards to job security but felt like the salary ranges were not competitive with competitors. Overall I would recommend Standard.
Lost the heart since going public.
Sales (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 23, 2015
Lay offs to double stock price and the CEO's salary going from 3 million to over 9 million in same year with pay increase freezes for two years. Loss of employees due to attrition with no back filling of positions puts a greater and greater strain on an already hefty workload. Trimming of the benefits package and no investment in new technology makes this company very difficult to grow with or stay long term.
Pros
Great health benefits, life, Short term disability, transit subsidizing
Cons
Management is disconnected from staff, HR is out of touch and big business focused
Some wonderful people to work with
Not revealed (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 3, 2015
There are always new projects and process improvements to partipate in if you are looking. Many of the high level directors and officers are out of touch with the day to day employees and their experiences.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Lack of understanding of the employee work experience.
Still struggling with great recession mentality
Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 4, 2015
Poorly lead company, far too concerned with short term results and goosing stock prices. Compensation method was recently changed to be far less generous. HR does a poor job of recruiting talented employees and is of little help with intra-company movement. The Standard has also steadfastly refused to upgrade any office equipment in ages, so working there is a 2007 time capsule.
company promotes advancement from within
Enrolling group member (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 28, 2015
the downside is most positions rely on tribal knowledge for training new employees, this sets up the new people for failure. You can only learn the material that has been presented.
fun with free lunch and free gym access
BUSSER/BUSBOY (Former Employee) –  40 island aveApril 26, 2015
restocking the stations, making sure all the equipment is clean if not go and clean them. roll-ups for about an hour. set tables and move umbrellas for customers. Some co-workers are responsible others are lazy. Some management would keep you after youve clocked out and not mark it in that you stayed for an addition hour or two. Events were the most enjoyable because you work for your money. in those events youd earn for you work as to splitting the tip with everyone even if they didnt work and hide in the back all day.
Pros
free lunch, at the beach.
Not Recommended
Employee Benefits (Former Employee) –  Portland, OregonApril 18, 2015
The Standard is a company in decline and is no longer a good place to work or further your career.

Standard's senior management has been shedding excellent employees for nearly ten years. The senior management seems to care about stock price and their own multi-million dollar salaries. They set the tone at this company big time, and a positive work environment is not a priority.

Many MANY employees are unhappy at Standard.

Salaries for the rank and file are below average, and training for employees is weak. Do yourself a favor: ask HR professionals or hiring managers at OTHER companies what they think of employees coming from Standard. Do they find that their skills and experience are good in comparison to candidates from other companies? The answer is "no."

My only regret leaving Standard is that I didn't leave several years earlier.
Cons
terrible senior management, meager investment in employee training and career development, low pay, increasing number of non-technical managers who "manage people" but don't know the business, culture of misery and fear
Disengaged
Deconversion Manager (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 16, 2015
This company is no longer putting employees first, and is no longer a culture in which I feel I can grow. It used to feel like family with all kinds of opportunity.
The Best IT To Work For
IT Infrastructure System Engineer (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 26, 2015
Standard Insurance proves it is possible that an entire IT department can function without negative politics such as backbiting and false accusations. The IT department employees are sincerely hardworking, happy, friendly, and intelligent. Kudos to all the staff/management in IT for making it the best positive corporate atmosphere I have ever witnessed.
stagnant corporate culture
Absence Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 10, 2015
Very top down management structure, advancement is based on who you know (and who likes you) rather than seniority or qualifications. Employees are leaving in droves for competitors such as Matrix and Aetna.
Data admin and policy work
Policy Administration Representative (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 24, 2015
Most mornings are spent adding tens-to-hundreds of payments into the system. The rest of the day is used for setting up new policies sent from the underwriters, doing data entry for groups wanting to enlist or take off employees from their plans, and various other small tasks dealing with the system or with plan folders. Management can be upbeat and supportive, and the general feeling of the office is nice. There can be busy stressful days, but you're typically rewarded or noticed for high numbers. I worked in a smaller department cordoned away from the much larger remainder of the company, so results may vary.
Pros
decent benefits, steady job, streamlined tasks
Cons
management may get uptight about time taken off
Good Enough
Individual Contributor (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 28, 2014
Good location and decent enough. Work is not terribly exciting. Lots of managers and not great interdepartmental communication. Poor communication by management regarding the direction of the business/expectations. Salary disparities between upper management and the rest of the company are significant-to be expected in a publicly traded company of this size.
Pros
location
Worked as a Temp
RATING ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 19, 2014
Worked as a temporary employee throughout their busy season. Nice place to work.
New Business Data Specialist
New Business Data Specialist (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 18, 2014
My work day was talking on the phone helping and training on how to use our payroll system for uploading retirement contribution. Setting up new clients in our system so they would have access to our system. Also setting up all participant in the new plan.

I worked in a very close group of co-workers we had to work together so we were on top of any issues with the system and working with clients that were having issue and covering for each other so our clients were always in good hands.

The hardest part of the job was when they made changes to the system they would not let us know and were would find out from clients.

The best part of the job was helping somebody and and making their job better.
Pros
i had a pension plan with health care.
Cons
changing the pension plan and having to retire early.
Positive
Intern (Former Employee) –  Portland OregonOctober 27, 2014
I learned to work with other age groups besides my own and how to be more social and customer friendly.
Great company with a culture of career development
Absence Coordinator I (Current Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 17, 2014
An exciting, well established company in the Portland Or area
Great place to start a career
Life Claims Examiner (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 27, 2014
The standard is a wonderful employer to start your career and build your resume.
Great job culture fantastic management
Product & Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 18, 2014
The standard is one of the best companies I have worked for the culture here is amazing and the management team as well. I have gained some great experience here and look forward to using skills I have obtained as continue to strive for bigger and better positions in the world of business.
It's an insurance company....
Senior Disability Benefits Analyst (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 5, 2014
For better or worse Standard is an insurance company. Stable and conservative company which should be around for a long time. Reasonably good benefits and a nice place to work.

However over the last 6-7 years the culture has changed. The pendulum swings often with reactions and counter-reactions constantly. Immediate managers and directors seem to know whats going on but I really question the higher ups if they understand what the consequences of their actions are.

Very dated technology has cost customers and money. No real investment seen when it comes to technology and minimal work from home options.