The TJX Companies, Inc.

The TJX Companies, Inc. Employee Reviews in United States

Found 2,686 reviews matching the search
Productive and very positive work environment
Coon Rapids - Cashier (Former Employee) –  Coon Rapids, MNJanuary 15, 2016
On an average day, my co workers and management team worked together in order to reach our daily and weekly sales goal, credit card application goals, and making sure the store overall was at its best. They all were very warm and welcoming to not only their customers but their employees as well. We often did team building activities such as "Feed My Starving Children" in order to work on being a team player with those around us. Management was always quick and efficient when resolving any problems that may have raised. They were very understanding and flexible with hours and any other conflict. The hardest part was having to leave for college, not because it was a hard process but because I truly did love working there and I really didn't want to leave.
Pros
Free lunches, Multiple Breaks, Team Building, Employee Discount, Raises
Low pay, horrible hours
Assisting customers (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 19, 2016
When I started on the push team (fancy way of saying 'stocker'), the pay was $7.50. The manager I had beforehand was okay. She wanted the job done, but I didn't find her overly demanding. The atmosphere was nice, no drama. She would bring in food for associates just as a token of appreciation. Boring job, but do-able. The pay rate also was raised to $9. When she left, we got a new manager. He was very demanding. He had unrealistic expectations. Super high expectations, for super low pay (most were only working 8-13 hrs a week.) Employees were no longer happy, so the store's overall mood was unhappy, angry, and annoyed. He did nothing special for us, no food, snacks...no water, no nothing. Very little room for growth. Every now and then a position for full time would open up. The only thing that was enjoyable was that we got a monthly birthday cake. Even the employee discount was a joke (10%)... You get paid weekly...but only a 8-14 hr check... what does that add up to? Broke..
Cons
Low pay, no benefits.
Like minded
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Willimantic, CTFebruary 8, 2016
I can say still til today that T.J.Maxx was a very intriguing company to work for. All due to the customers and fashion. It was goal oriented not only for its' own growth, but for its' employees as well. If I had a issue I could talk anyone. If I made a mistake I was condemned. It was a very good job for me at the time. I was going to school and volunteering. It match me where I was at and would love to work there again.
Pros
Flexibility, career oriented, motivating, raises, diversity, fashion, room to grow within the company
Cons
passive aggresive competition, management changes frquently, discrimination
Great working environment
Sales Associate, Cashier (Current Employee) –  Tarzana, CAMarch 5, 2016
A typical day at T.J.Maxx, is really busy at first but by the end of the night everything tends to whine down, which benefits us to start cleaning up our department earlier. I've learned about how to provide better customer assistance and as well as how to help sell store merchandise. T.J. Maxx has also taught me how to become a great cashier and taught me how to manage money. The relationship between managers and employees at this T.J. Maxx location is great and helps everyone feel welcome and happy to come to work.
Pros
Management, Customer assistance
Cons
Short breaks, Associate discounts
Fun work enviornment
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNFebruary 18, 2016
After clocking into work I will go to my assigned position for the day. I always consult with the manager on duty to see if they need extra help in specific area of the store. Sometimes I will have to switch positions with another employee because they are unfamiliar with the job or they are not accurate enough. I will spend half of the day covering everyone's break because I am one of the few employees who is crossed-trained. This makes the day go by faster because I am not standing around doing the same exact thing for the entire shift. Sometimes I will make cash pick up's and hand deliver them to the cash office. I am basically a key holder without the job title or pay.
Pros
45 minute lunch break and 15 minute breaks also offer.
Cons
No benefits and underpaid for my experience and time with the company.
fun place to work
Associate/ cashier (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn Center, MNMarch 13, 2016
I just started working at TJ Maxx on February 23rd of this year so I'm still somewhat in training. I do a lot of things on my own already but they are still expecting me to ask questions in case I still need any help. I plan on becoming a Coordinator here full time in the next few months because of my background as a Manager, but I haven't gotten that far yet. A typical day at work is pretty busy. There is always something to do to keep you busy. There's things that always need to be put away, racks that need to be straightened up. Customers to help. Cashiers are always being called up front to ring up customers or do returns, etc. I learned quite a bit. I know how to work in the fitting room, in the back room just a little where our truck comes in, I worked with jewelry, cashier, etc. The Management team is very nice to everyone working there and just as great with all the customers. My co-workers are very helpful and always say hi and are always friendly. The hardest part of the job for me so far is just trying to figure out how to put the truck order away.
Pros
Free food in the break room.
Cons
not all benefits kick in right away
Productive workplace with great co-workers
Loss Prevention Lead (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAFebruary 15, 2016
Reviewed camera footage for any signs of theft from customers and/or employees. Had a partner who I worked well with on a daily basis. Learned how to get along with many different people and personalities while working there. Had to work with management of stores as well as local police. Did report writing and had to coach store associates on store policies and procedures. Store audits were also a part of my job duties.
Pros
People I worked with, benefits.
Cons
No opportunity for advancement.
Fun work place
Cashiering , sales floor associate (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, MIMarch 29, 2016
Cashiering and ringing customers up in jewelry and in front of store operations. I also worked the fitting room, counting store products going and coming out of the fitting room. Performed Sales Associate duties walking the floor to make sure customers had all the assistance they needed Inspected all store products were in the right places and making sure nothing was on the store floor. i really like the fact i hand first pick on items before we put the out onto the sales floor.
Pros
10% off at store, you can cash check at the store
Cons
no benefits, not enough hours
Leaves no room for advancement
Sales Associate, Backroom/Delivery Associate (Former Employee) –  Vernal, UTFebruary 1, 2016
This job will overwork and underpay. There is no room for advancement unless you are willing to give up all pretenses of having a life outside of work. They expect you to be available at all times, yet will not call you in. Instead of giving more hours to loyal employees, they hire mercenaries and more part-timers, giving them your hours and they will soon be working more than you are.
Cons
No benefits, poor corporate and local management
very professional work place
Sales Floor Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Norcross, GAJanuary 11, 2016
I enjoy working with TJX COMPANIES It's fun. They work with your schedule. and I could also see myself growing here.

A typical day at work for me is. I work in the women's department so i do recovery I put out new merchandise I work at the front desk as cashier. I enjoy putting the clothes up because i get to see whats new I love to shop. I work well with my co workers they are very cool people to work around and we work together as a team to get things done when we are short of staff. I've learned a lot working here hopefully ill get promoted to a coordinator in the women's department i think i can handle it I'm a very fast learner always on time always available and I'm always ready to work.
Pros
for birthday's and, holiday's they feed us they do a lot of special things showing their appreciation
Cons
I really wish we didn't have to wait so long for benefits (2years) if part time
Management issues
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Columbus, MSMarch 16, 2016
Management is never in agreement on what is correct and what is not correct, so therefore in someones eyes you're always doing something wrong. They will schedule people who do not want to show up to work and call you multiple times a day to cover shift when the person not showing up to work will get more hours than you the next week
Pros
pay grade
Cons
Short breaks, no benefits
Typical retail job
Customer Service Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNMarch 23, 2016
Not the best company to work for, unless you're capable of moving up. I worked for the company for 3 years and each pay raise was under 0.75.
Pros
Decent people, big company, flexible work hours
Cons
No benefits unless full time, no advancement opportunities, it's all about the profit not the employees
Nice
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 13, 2015
Overall nice place to work. everybody is nice and your job is typically easy to do. Flexible and if you work hard enough you can advance. The hours are just terrible so this job is good for someone in school. I got 8- 16 hours on average a week sometimes I would be scheduled one day a week.
Pros
Nice management, flexible, Easy, Cool atmosphere
Cons
Bad employee discount, not a lot of benefits, takes a while for management to fire bad workers, low pay
I love the atmosphere, i has become my family
Jewelry Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Woodinville, WAMarch 28, 2016
It's a great place to work, the environment is friendly and the place becomes family. I love helping customers and dealing with different personalities all day.
Pros
co-workers, family atmosphere, job security
Cons
no pay raises, only 5 slots for benefits
Great Company, management needs work
Distribution Center Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Pittston, PANovember 29, 2015
TJX is a great company to its employees and the neighborhoods it is in. I love the company just not the management teams I have worked for. Management at the DC level is weak, many of the promotions that have been made to the manager level do not work out. Many of these new managers have no idea how to manage and or speak and deal with people.
Pros
Good salary and benefits
decent part-time job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lawton, OKSeptember 7, 2015
This job is really easy. They hire pretty much everyone especially if your a previous Sears employee. The hours are good when you 1st start but once you've been there for a while they cut your hours. Favoritism is huge in this store, you're either one of management's favorites (butt kisser) or not. Part time can forget any type of compensation or job security. Even though the work environment is bad i do have to say they take care of the employees during the holidays. Feels like there is not control and communication when it comes to management. Certain Coordinators believe they can do whatever they want and just wander the store and not work. Overall this is an easy job you just have to be able to put up with doing extra work since everyone doesn't do their job and be able to put up with management.
Pros
extra hrs during nov-dec, pay
Cons
management, favoritism
Accomplished sales goals, within the business
Management / Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Cookeville, TNMarch 17, 2016
Supervising personnel, and customer service. Accomplished financial goals, within the business. At times the hardest part of this job is dealing with the public. The most enjoyable part is that each day is a new day.
Pros
insurance, 401k
Cons
working nights
Fun Co-Workers, Fast-Paced Enviorment
Merchandise Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NENovember 18, 2015
Pushing product and creating displays was a huge perk putting your creativity into maximizing sales and reaching goals. Management asks a lot from people. Pushing the credit to people was annoying since there is not real great benefits. At times Very overwhelming. Great people to work with, create lasting friendships.
Pros
The people, and putting alot of creativity into displays
Cons
Credit was hard to push (since no great benefits)
Some What Negative
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIOctober 1, 2015
Although the management wasn't the best, they played by the rules.
It's very corporate, so when I was new I often forgot the endless amount of criteria we had to remember and they were not understanding. Felt as if I was always being told what I was doing wrong, and it wasn't being taken into account that I had sold the most credit apps, and went out of my way to help out the other employees when I had the time to do so.
Pros
15 min breaks, 10% off, and fundraisers in the break room
Cons
small hallways in the back room, only 10% off, and only negative feedback from the managers
fantastic place to work
TJ Maxx (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 16, 2016
working 3 times a day 3-4 hours. I truly loved working at tj maxx retail. The supervisors were friendly and loved working with me and did not make my deafness as an excuse. There were 3 other deaf people working there as well.
Pros
hard working people
Cons
no benefits for part time and wished for more hours