The TJX Companies, Inc.

The TJX Companies, Inc. Employee Reviews in United States

Found 2,715 reviews matching the search
Fun place to work.
cashier/sales associate (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJune 12, 2016
Very fun place to work just can be a little stressful ! management and co workers are so much fun! Training can be a bit overwhelming but once you get the hang of it its a breeze.
Pros
give you breaks and if you work more then 6 hours you get a 45 min lunch!
Cons
Dont have benefits unless you are full time!
Excellent culture to grow and learn in.
Coordinator / Key Carrier (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 12, 2016
TJ Maxx is a great company to work for, and provides excellent opportunities for growth and development within the field. Success requires commitment, long hours, and a willingness to be hands-on.
Pros
Great learning experience and growth ability.
Cons
Poor Work/Life Balance
Enjoy it
Teller (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDJune 9, 2016
I have been with the company for 12 years and I love it. It is a great place to work at and I enjoy the people. The customers are very nice and I have built great relationships with them.
Pros
flexible
Cons
pay
Team work oriented place to work
Hand packed personalized boxes of candy (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 9, 2016
I Enjoy the people that I work with very much. Every one is willing to work together as a team and the management are really great at there job. I have learned that even though I enjoy my job and the people I work with, I am ready to challenge myself and make a more rewarding career change.
Pros
Management has open door policy
Cons
Not enough hours
Best place to work
Remedy Developer / Administrator (Former Employee) –  Marlborough, MAJune 9, 2016
I love my job, the hardest part is having sooooooooooo much more to do than there is time to do it!
My current job has been wonderful because I get to split my time between creative and organizational tasks. I love having that duality, because when I get stuck on the creative stuff, I can switch gears and do the organizational stuff. It’s nice being able to use both sides of my brain. I also like that my bosses are very effective managers. They understand the importance of hiring good people and then simply clearing the way so their team members can do what they do best with few obstacles.
My T.J.Maxx Family
LP Detective (Former Employee) –  Hialeah, FLJune 8, 2016
My T.J.Maxx store was a warm, cultured store. Cuban coffee was always made in the employee lounge by the manager every morning. That makes anybody happy. My cameras would give me a view of all the employees and the customers on the sales floor. If i am scanning around for shoplifters on the cameras and i feel like it was not good enough, i'll go outside my office and walk around. You can always see everything better with your naked eye. Management can call with a concern, or maybe needing for me to go back to see footage of anything that may have occurred in the store while i was not there. Employees that are working on the sales floor are advised to let the LP detective know when they see something suspicious. If the suspicion turns out to be an apprehension, employees get gift cards from me. Hardest part of the job is keeping up with the paperwork because cameras have to be looked at, at ALL times, because while i am doing paperwork, my back is to the cameras and anyone can be shoplifting. How my boss used to say: Can't catch them all! The most enjoyable part was definitely my fellow detectives, along with my boss, such great group of people. And obviously, catching the bad guys!
Pros
45 lunch time, 30 mins paid of 2nd break.
Long hrs/Production and make you work 14 days straight sometime
Ticketer (Former Employee) –  Fort Mill/Charlotte, NCJune 7, 2016
The people there are great. It's just the management and hours that really suck. Some weeks we work 14 days straight and other people that were there longer did 21. Most of the people there are Vietnamese and they favor them there over any other ethnic group. Thats what really sucks, because they cheat on production and get away with a lot of things that other people can't. The most enjoyable part of the job is lunch!
Pros
They have catering companys bring lunch once a month
Cons
Long Hrs, Not fair, Management sucks
Serious business
Cashier, customer service (Current Employee) –  Rocky Mount, NCJune 7, 2016
Management is very understanding and caring, very demanding place to work for but benefits are extremely beneficial, a lot of drama at this particular location but if you focus specifically on your job you will be fine
Workplace was fun and sparatic
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Martinsburg, WVJune 6, 2016
As an employee at TJ Maxx, I worked in every field short of management. Everyday had a new challenge that needed to be overcome, usually a display needed set up or the Jewelry counter needed changed around or updated. On occasions I'd be asked to take a coordinators role, and give orders to others, but being a lowly sales associate, I never got paid for those endeavors, however, it was a break from the norm and I really didn't mind so much. Otherwise it was a regular sales associate job, with standard sales associate duties, but with fun managers and co-workers, which were encouraged to have jovial conversations with the customers to improve the overall atmosphere of the workplace.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
flexible schedule
great benefits, no balance
Loss Prevention Specialist/ Transportation Clerk (Former Employee) –  Decatur, GAMay 31, 2016
The job was easy the people made it hard. Poor management, and no work/life balance for families. No room for advancement, mostly based on your popularity status to the upper managers.
I did learn a little about the transportation industry, as well as shrink reduction within a warehouse setting.
Pros
decent benefits
Operate multiple machines to move and locate pallets
Bulk Driver (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INMay 28, 2016
First thing you do every day after clocking in is fill out checklist on the machine you will be using. Then you Start scanning your way through work. Every truck had a pc and handheld scanner to use on pallets and for locations for pallets. You have to get so many scans per hour to keep your job. They use pallet jack trucks, (single, double, and triple pallet carriers), stand up fork trucks (single and double carriers), and TSPs pallet rack stockers.
Pros
Consistent work; familiar routines; decent pay
Cons
Commute out of town;
friendly environment
sales associate (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 28, 2016
everyone is friendly at marshalls. we try to help each other as much as we can and management really works with your schedule. it does get tiring at times but thats almost with any job. i have learned how to deal with easy and difficult customers to satisfy their needs.
Pros
Schedule arrangements
Cons
no part time health care
Importance of team work
Customer Experience Coordinator (Current Employee) –  WestCaldwellMay 26, 2016
Typical day, starts with a laid out plan for the day. By setting goals, only can we move towards achieving great customer service, and goals that will help improve our performance. Working in a team setting has taught me the importance of group work and working together to achieve out set out goals. Combining various ideas from everyone helps the day go smooth while working efficiently to improve on areas that need adjustments.
Fast-paced, challenging.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Kings Park, NYMay 23, 2016
A day in the life of a retail manager is almost never typical ... you open and close the store; it is what happens in between that keeps such a job interesting and challenging. There are always unforeseen situations that force changes in priorities. Regular daily activities include payroll, scheduling, shipping and receiving, direction of workflow to associates (along with appropriate follow-up), merchandising, maintaining a profitable store, and of course Customer Service by way of problem-solving and decision-making to ensure overall Customer Satisfaction.

I learned how to use the many company reports to identify strengths and opportunities in the store, and across the district, region and chain. Additionally I learned how to use the payroll and scheduling systems to maximize productivity and maintain costs.

I am a manager who can build a solid, positive rapport with the staff. They know the door to the office is always open, that they can discuss their job issues and personal concerns privately, and that they will be taken seriously. Employee satisfaction is equally important as Customer satisfaction. A manager is only as good as his staff.
Pros
Salary, benefits, local commute.
Cons
Redundant paperwork, paradox.
good
Customer Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLMay 19, 2016
great place to work, great pay, awesome supervisors, friendly environment, gets very busy almost everyday, especially on holidays, beautiful place to work and develop
I want to work in a place where I can learn and move up.
Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Marlborough, MAMay 7, 2016
A typical work day is for me is, I always try to learn something new everyday. I figure the more I know I can use to advantage to help me grow to be a better employee and help working with people. The most enjoyable part of my jobs are to help anybody with anything, Customers are the one who make my day enjoyable, I Love when my co workers ask for my help when they need and I can provide the best I can of my knowledge with them. The hardest part of my job is seeing customers really upset.
Pros
Seeing customers smile
Cons
not having enough hours
TJ Maxx
Backroom Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYMay 5, 2016
A typical day at TJ Maxx can go one of two ways, It can go smoothly or can be a very long and tedious shift. At my location, there are a lot of inconsistencies in the decision makings in management. Some show blatant favoritism toward some associates. Some of my coworkers are good to work with while others use cutthroat like tactics in order to get over. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the confusion of the directions of management. Most of the time, they are not clear with what they want. The most enjoyable part of my job is clocking out.
Pros
Flexible Schedules
High pressure, lots of travel 75 hours per week
Supplies Buyer (Former Employee) –  Canton, MAMay 5, 2016
A typical day at work would be in at 7 am 3 to 3 meetings work through lunch, negotiate with 4 ton 5 vendors go over my time line with my boss, stay until 7 pm to catch up on paper work. I managed 3 assistant buyers.

I learned many negotiating skills, took courses in time management and conflict resolution.

Management Hovered and was frustratingly indecisive,

Co-workers were all very nice.

Dealing with managements hurry up and wait syndrome

Negotiating with vendors taught me many negotiating skills and also sales skills from some of the best sales people in the industry.
Pros
Industry education and prestige of having worked at TJX Companies
Cons
Long hours, Management wasnt very qualified to be leaders
Good company with great benefits and helpful management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYMay 5, 2016
Great place to get your first job experience at! All managers are always free to explain any question you have about the job, you always have time for your lunch, training was done properly and on time.
Pros
Good managers, flexible lunch time
Produictive Workplace
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Linden, NJApril 27, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of assisting multiple customers, learning new items, & working as a team player with a great staff. I learned management skills and customer relations. My co-workers were tam players which made work easy. the hardest part of the job was dealing with customers who were dishonest and stealing from the company.
Pros
dinners, co-workers, management
Cons
compensation

The TJX Companies, Inc. Reviews by Location