The Tile Shop

The Tile Shop Employee Reviews

Tile Shop
Senior Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDFebruary 12, 2016
You have to be a certain type to last in a commission only job and I have over 20 years of sales experience so it wasn't hard for me to become one of the top 3 out of 15 sales associates and lead as the number 1 sales rep last year for 10 months.
Pros
Money is good and location is great.
Cons
Hours and days aren't great.
I'll Pass
Design Consultant/Sales Engineer (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDJanuary 19, 2016
Just managed wrong it's a place that promotes back stabbing and job over family. The pay don't make up for the time if unless you deceive others
Very low level of training
Designer (Former Employee) –  AnonymousJanuary 2, 2016
this company needs to invest and develop a new training program the one in effect is very much below the bar . There commission program needs a makeover as new employees do not many opportunities due other employees have said hello to them prior . I can see how this company has such a high turnover . Stop hiring criminals , have some type employee recognition program for new employees .Buy your employees pizza once in a while . Do something good for employees- they are your front line when your not .
not a very good place to work
Design / Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VANovember 25, 2015
this place is only good for a bozo that can not find a real job. don't get me wrong it would have been nicer if you got paid by the hour. you have 7 to 8 sales people trying to talk to one person that comes in to look around hoping they will purchase from you. the people were awesome, but the job itself sucked.
Pros
nice people to work with
Cons
commission based sales
Great place to work!!
Design / Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYOctober 27, 2015
Every day at the Tile Shop is different. You never know who is going to walk through the door. Everyday you are faced with obtaining new clients, maintaining the ones you have, dealing with contractors and designers. I learned a lot about the different types of tile, different setting materials and uses, tools, sealers, and how to design with tile . The management was excellent. Always on top of every aspect, willing to teach until you get it, pushing you to do your best but making you feel like you're not alone, willing to help close a sale if need be. Basically very helpful and caring. My co-workers were great, fun to work with, willing to teach. The hardest part of my job was the 100% Commission pay scale. I kind of felt like a car salesman at times. Also, learning the computer system and all the product. I really enjoyed talking with clients and helping them come up with a design that they loved.
Pros
Benefits, great atmosphere, great management, make as much as you want, room to move up in the company.
Cons
Half hr. lunch/dinner, 100% Commission is hard.
Challenging Sales Environment with Possibility for Creativty
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Oakwood Village, OHOctober 15, 2015
Pretty good place to work. Varying hours and pay. Possibility to make a lot of money. Opportunity for upwards movement in company.
will explain
Sales/Design consultant (Former Employee) –  North Olmsted, OHSeptember 30, 2015
terrible managment,very unorganized, and i didnt see any growth i the company, i id not see my self going far thier, gbgbgbfnfnfnvbnnjfbhgbdhfgbdhbgghdbgghdfbghdbfvhdbfgfhgbdfbgvhdfbvhdbfvhdbfhdbfgdbgdbfvvdbfgdfbgggdfbbvgdbbaaaaaaogbaaabggdkghbdfhgbdhjfbvjdhfffffffffffffvxbbvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvz,xz,hmvb,zvb,jvhdfbvhjdbvhdfb
rewarding place to work
Design/ Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NESeptember 30, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job, meeting new clients daily.
Very supportive management.
Hardest part of the job, standing on your feet for 10 hours/day.
Pros
Lunch on Saturaday
Horrible
Design and Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Sunset HillsSeptember 11, 2015
They where ok alot of information to process during the hiring process but over all it was a good company to work for. the mangament was extremly nice tho and i will say that they overworked their employees tho
productive work place
Forklift operator/ Material handler (Current Employee) –  ottawa lake michiganSeptember 2, 2015
Teaches good work ethics. Promotes working in a timely manner. Dependable and rewarding job with good benefits. Trains forklift operators
No money to be made unless you're a Manager
Sales and Design Consultant (Current Employee) –  Westminster, COSeptember 2, 2015
The store just didn't have enough buyer traffic coming through the doors to make any money. The store was new and the locations signage was weak. Locals are constantly asking how long the store has been in the location, even after the first year.

Often the directives from Corporate and Store management regarding margin and pricing were contradictory. The pay is a recoverable draw so you are constantly in the hole, paying the company back before you can make a buck. Often when the company has a sale the customer will save more on their purchase than you will make in a pay period. Most reps are in subsidy and never make more than the minimum pay. The pay period ends on the 15th and the 30th, checks are issued 7 days after the pay period ends. The company does not employ a cleaning crew so you clean everything from all 60+ kitchen and bath displays to the public bathrooms, break room and sales floor. If you're lucky the store has a shipping manager, otherwise you will be loading 50-80 lb bags of mortar, driving a forklift and loading pallets of tile in customers cars while wearing a dress shirt and tie.

I tried the job because the Store Manager that hired me made it sound like a great opportunity to get in on the ground floor of a new store and really make some money. One year later I'm the only original employee at the store and have yet to make any real money.

On the upside working with most of the customers is fun and rewarding in terms of seeing the finished project and seeing how happy the customers are with your assistance in the whole endeavor. The short
  more... commute and having two days off during the week is also nice.

Not a career opportunity unless you want to be a Manager with an interest in possibly transferring to a new store or a new state at the drop of a hat, working 7 days a week selling tile and dealing with constant turnover and training.
Pros
Employee Discount, 401, Ins and Benefits.
Cons
After Ins and Benefits you won't make enough to use your Employee Discount
Slow work and Menial jobs to keep busy
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Westminster, COAugust 30, 2015
There were hardly any customers and our prices were through the roof that almost no product moved off the shelves. The product was almost always out of stock and the management had little training and a foul attitude like they were better than everyone else, including the fact that they did nothing but email all day and received a higher wage than everyone else.
Pros
1 hour lunch
Cons
Lack of proper management, lack of customers, lack of product
A good place to buy premium tile.
Commission Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CTAugust 25, 2015
A big turnover rate, employees are trained to advance. Management works 6 days a week. In my 4 months with the company my store cycled through 6 employees, an assistant manager, and a store manager. Employees are required to clean displays, bathrooms, and floor on a weekly basis.
Pros
Decent commissions.
Cons
Very little training.
A great place to work.
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Ottawa Lake, MIAugust 20, 2015
I enjoyed working at the tile shop. Management and work environment was enjoyable. I enjoyed having fridays off which allowed me to spend more time with friends and family.
Pros
Fridays off
Cons
Wages
fair company
Warehouse Manager (Current Employee) –  schaumburg ilAugust 11, 2015
If you like doing everything for everyone and watching sales employees sit around this is the job for you. i did everything in the warehouse till i was tired and my body was hurting and having health issues.
Pros
Great people
Cons
lazy sales people
Excellent place to find a great opportunity in sales, customer service, and design.
Design/Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Centerville, OHAugust 9, 2015
I loved the place and the work pace. The only problem I had was we were a new store in a dead market for our area. Also, the way the company structures your deadline dates to meet quotas. It makes it extremely hard to pull your necessary amounts in the time given. Aggression is a must.
Pros
Subisdy withdraw pay. Will learn a lot.
Cons
Tough to meet deadlines consistently.
Dont do it
Assistant Manager, Store Manager (Current Employee) –  GAJuly 28, 2015
its all smoke and mirrors. they promote quality and an awesome return policy... its because their tile is junk. you can get the same stuff for half the price at floor and d├ęcor.
i loved working in the tile business
Sales/design (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJuly 20, 2015
Helped with color and design interiors with texture and unique flavor.
I estimated renovations to kitchens and baths. Getting so much done in such a short amount of time was always hard.
I loved seeing the excitement of the finished job
Land of Empty Promises and Misery
Warehouse Manager (Current Employee) –  Warwick, RIJuly 13, 2015
When I started as a WHS manager 2 years ago it was awesome. Got my forklift certification, monthly bonus, yearly bonus, the whole nine yards. Now that we get paid on 2 (two) specific days of the month, taxes turn what would be a great check into barely getting by. No more bonus, no more overtime.
Pros
I can drive my firklift and listen to my own music.
Cons
Almost entirely alone, busy work, feels like Groundhog Day everyday.
My favorite job
Store Manager/Retail Sales (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOJuly 7, 2015
I started as a Sales Associate, and in my first 8 months I was advanced to a General Manager position with responsibility of my very own 22,000 square foot show room.
Corporate management was very supportive. I was almost always recognized as one of the company's sales leaders.
Fantastic, and fast paced work environment.
With my salary, commissions, and bonuses, I cleared nearly $127,000USD per year.
Pros
Bonus structure was very motivating
Cons
I worked a lot, but in retrospect, enjoyed it.

2.8