The University of Akron

The University of Akron Employee Reviews

stressful and strenuous work environment
Student Assistant (Former Employee), Akron, OHMarch 18, 2015
Pros: discounts
Cons: short breaks
It was a bright atmosphere, loud and obnoxious due to color and store soundtrack. The management wasn't always pleasant. There wasn't always enough people working and then there were times when too many people were working.
Great Opportunities to Learn and Improve
Research and Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Akron, OHMarch 2, 2015
Pros: team work, new projects/challenges every week or so.
Cons: ability to manage all the projects.
For the past six years, my day as a Research Assistant starts with a 10 minute meeting with my professor about the previous day activities and progress. I have developed software programming and algorithm design. I am the lead investigator of a research project, So I keep track of all the work done (by me / other team members ) and report on a daily basis. As a research assistant, I am encouraged to explore different techniques and methodologies to solve my dissertation problem. One challenge is to understand new methods and apply them to my problem at hand and generate few preliminary results in a day or so.
Productive, professional work place
Instructional Technology Support (Current Employee), Akron, OHFebruary 12, 2015
This is a professional, academic company, and it has been a pleasure to work with them. I look forward to a continued relationship with them, as I advance my professional career.
Nutrition for Sports
Class Instructor - part time (Current Employee), Akron, OHJanuary 31, 2015
I teach a Nutrition for Sports course part time. I have a different group of students, ranging from sophomore to graduate students each semester.
Enjoyable working with university students and teaching what I love
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee), Akron, OhioJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: universities are dynamic places
Cons: poor compensation, little chance for advancement
Taught in Physics Department.

Wrote book on Astronomy: "Astronomy: A Computational Approach" Van-Griner 2010

Taught maximum number of courses allowed

Enjoy teaching especially inquisitive, hard working students.

Became an avid star gazer.

Got BS and MS there so knew some of other profs and chair who are really good people.
Above average research quality and funding
Research assistant (Former Employee), Akron, OHJanuary 15, 2015
Enjoyed research in a high rank department and research group which offered a various research areas and equipments to work on.
Productive work environment with great personalities.
Zip Support (Current Employee), Akron, OHJanuary 8, 2015
A typical day of work consists of preparation of my workspace, which includes sanitizing and organizing my equipment. Next, I wait until a customer needs my assistance. In the meantime, I socialize with my coworkers about current/future tasks at hand. The hardest part of the job is finding a way to relate and explain to the customers who are having a problem. This is also the most enjoyable part of the job, as I always enjoy a challenge and love being sociable.
Simple
Student Assistant (Former Employee), Akron, OhioDecember 12, 2014
Pros: coworkers were polite, graduate assists were very nice, the work was simple and easy to learn, flexible schedule
Cons: working during lunch hour when part-time, management, not having enough work to do
Job duties were simple, but management was not as good. The good thing is that I didn't have to see my management as much because she worked in another office as well. The other students were pretty nice for the most part. I learned how to use Outlook to make appointments and send emails. I really enjoyed the flexible schedule that I was able to get with this job.
Research environment is growing
Graduate Student (Former Employee), College of EngineeringDecember 7, 2014
The graduate research environment in the College of Engineering is growing. It is a challenging and fun environment to work in. I have learned many skills during my time there.
Good working atmospher
Research/Graduate Assistant (Current Employee), Akron, OHNovember 9, 2014
Good theoretical and practical experience. Working at the university as a research assistant is a good place with the good facility of the lab.
Mass Spectrometry Laboratory (Former Employee), Akron, OHAugust 19, 2014
Management is great and awesome Company to work for! I started at University of Akron in 2007 and worked for them till 2011 .
This University is the best in research field.
Research Associate (Former Employee), Akron, OHAugust 1, 2014
The working atmosphere in this university is really good.
For every kind of problems related to technical filed we can find solutions.
Receptionist/Student Assistamt
Purchasing (Part-time) (Former Employee), Akron, OHJuly 28, 2014
A typical day at work consist of maintaining reception area, answering multi-line phone, greeting visitors, and opening and distributing mail.
Determining organic soil depth in Panzner Wetland using GIS application
Teaching assistant (Former Employee), OhioJune 20, 2014
On 10/2/2013 i was a member of GIS team who undertook a field project at Panzner Wetland in Copley, Akron. The aim of the project was to determine organic soil depth in Panzner wetland. I did the GIS part by importing the geogrsphic coordinates into ArcMap and running IDW interpolation to determine the level of concentration in study area.
Fun and supportive enviroment
Grounds Crew Member (Former Employee), Akron, OHJune 18, 2014
My time there was great the staff was encouaging and supportive. As a student employee they made me feel as part of the team
A great place to enhance engineering skill set
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Akron, OHApril 26, 2014
I can review only the Electrical and Computer Engineering department of UofA. The department has many experienced professors and assistant professors with huge potential for research. It has almost all the required electronic equipment to improve your hands on experience.
Productive and enjoyable place to work at The University of Akron
Student Assistant, Department of Development (Current Employee), Akron, OHApril 26, 2014
Working at The University of Akron has benefited me in many ways. A typical day for me at The University of Akron involves me updating and correcting information with our systems. I work on may different projects for my advisors and are required to pay a great amount of attention to detail. Some typical tasks involve me updating individuals information in our system from their work experience to their address and personal information, I always have to make sure the information is correct and up to date. I have learned what expectations are required of me including my work performance and attitude. I know what kind of work is expected of me and know what I need to have finished, I have learned more about completing jobs within their time frame and learning how to multi-task in order to complete them on time. A hard part of my job is not getting too overwhelmed about the work I'm doing and to continue to remember what I enjoy most about my job. I enjoy working with other people and receiving the chance to excel at my job by volunteering for more projects and learning more about the department at The University of Akron.
Great place!
Ph.D. Candidate in Geotechnical Engineering (Current Employee), Akron, OHApril 22, 2014
A great place to research and work!
Professors are nice! The student union and dinning room are perfect, as well as the gym.
Long hours, but with rewarding results.
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Akron, OHApril 21, 2014
Other than the long hours spent grading, this position was enjoyable.
Fun Job
Programming Leader (Current Employee), RAApril 17, 2014
I love to work here with my professor.

I have learned a lot of new things

1 2 3 4