The University of California Employee Reviews

awesome
Teaching Assistant and Grader (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CASeptember 22, 2017
I loved working here! The people here are great! Usually the workers benefits packages are pretty good and the union for TA's is nice. Most professors here care about their students while there are some that really don't belong in such a high caliber school many are top notch scholars that really push the world forward.
A great place to work
Assistant Resident Director (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CASeptember 20, 2017
Everyone is invested in your growth as an individual.
Management is very supportive and values your creative input.
It's like having a second family at work.
Just doing Senior Design
Riverside - Chemical Engineering Senior Project (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CASeptember 19, 2017
It was no pay but plenty of experience acquired. No specifics, just there to finish all academic requirements. Met a lot of new people and made connections with professionals.
The Students Make The Experience
AP/AR Specialist (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CASeptember 19, 2017
However, the Executive staff and Leadership are clueless and could care less about their staff, clients, or the work performed. The make it stressful. I was blessed to leave when I had a great boss so it was bitter sweet. Yet, we lost a lot of good people due to mis-management. There was a committee that focused on changing the culture. Unfortunately once the Vice-Chancellor left the Leadership no longer wanted the transparency that new culture would provide for. The employees are great and your team is like your family. Great students and benefits. I will say that I had a ball and this was my favorite place to work.
Pros
My Team
Cons
Leadership, Diversity was not there
Good stepping stone
Editor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 15, 2017
Not a perfect work environment, but a great place to gain experience and make a lasting contribution to a great research institution. If you meet the right PI to work with, it can be highly rewarding.
Très belle expérience
Etudiante (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles County, CASeptember 14, 2017
Organisme de séjours linguistiques
Très belle expérience, pratique de l'anglais, immersion totale dans la vie et la culture américaine
Je recommande
Good Environment
PROCUREMENT SUPERVISOR - Space Sciences Laboratory (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CASeptember 14, 2017
U.C Berkeley for me was a great experience. I really enjoyed the individuals I worked with and liked being around the academic environment.
If you land a position within a good department, the experience can be fulfilling.
Pros
Good Environment, Good Benefits
Cons
Funding for Departments
One of the best place to do research
Post-Doctoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CASeptember 12, 2017
UC-Santa Barbara has high research energy and the campus is just on the beach. UCSB is a great place to develop cutting edge techniques and meanwhile have a really great work and life balance.
University of California
Office of the President (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CASeptember 12, 2017
The University can be a great place to work. They have great benefits and the Office of the President is located in a prime spot for those who use public transportation.
Pros
You will be making a difference.
Cons
You will need to determine these yourself.
Job Okay but Salaries not Equitable
Senior Administrative Analyst (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CASeptember 12, 2017
The University of California used to be the best place to work but over the years it has completely deteriorated. I have worked in the UC sytem for over 30 years and plan to retire in the next 3 years. The benefits and salaries have gone from one of the best to one of the worst over time.
Pros
Close to home; flexible work schedule
Cons
Pay not Equitable for Work being done
Part-time
On line instructor (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CASeptember 8, 2017
As a part-time instructor for an on-line class the experience was relaxed, interesting, and fun. When questions needed to be answered, I received timely and useful information. I enjoyed teaching on-line because of the students from all over the world. Such an enriching experience.
Pros
Students
Cons
I can't think of any.
Easy to find a groove, but it's a long haul
Colony Manager (Current Employee) –  Davis, CASeptember 7, 2017
Typically day for me is based largely on my working personality; I prefer to be able to throw myself into a task and work until that task is completed. If that's not your work style, it's easy to separate yourself from the work of others, but it is in your best interest to help others as it provides more opportunities to learn more skills outside of your regular duties.
Pros
Assigned tasks
Cons
Too many assigned tasks to one person
Very good work environment
Postdoctoral Scholar (Former Employee) –  Davis, CASeptember 2, 2017
Wonderful working place. Good salary. Good benefits. Friendly and productive Boss. Beautiful weather. Nice campus. Very friendly colleagues. Safe environment.
Pros
Relaxing environment
Cons
Campus Food
Employees are top notch
Executive Administrative Assistant - Temp Work (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CASeptember 1, 2017
Really a fair and cultural place for work and learning. A lot of perks such as classes at night and discounts for certain classes. The staff is very knowledgeable regarding open job opportunities.
Pros
health care
Cons
Parking for staff is limited. There is a low salary cap
Poor Management
ACCOUNTING MANAGER & PERSONNEL (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 31, 2017
It is hard to voice your concern too many politics. Employee relations in the corporate office is on the manager's side not the employee. if you have a problem with your manager you have no one can help you.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Health Care
Stimulating intellectual atmosphere, rewarding interactions with students.
Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 31, 2017
UCLA has given me the opportunity to design my own courses and to cross-list them extensively to attract as many students as possible. Staff is helpful and friendly. Pay is excellent for a part-time lecturer. I have no real complaints.
good
Assistant Director of Competitive Sports Intern (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAAugust 30, 2017
It was a good experience. My role was limited but I enjoyed working with the assistant director. I do believe that the compensation and benefits package could be better.
Ambiente de trabajo profesional
Investigador postdoctoral (Former Employee) –  Davis, California, Estado UnidosAugust 28, 2017
Gran ambiente para llevar a cabo un proyecto profesional de investigación y desarrollo, desde la generación de una idea hasta la ejecución de la mano de obra y la patentación del resultado.
good place to work
Clinical Nurse II-Tower 7- TRU (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAAugust 26, 2017
The workplace and most Nursing and Medical Team members are very pleasant very receptive staff, helpful and always ensure safety measure to the public.
Pros
Break hour is long enough
Cons
Needs enough space for the break period.
Benefits are great but departments can differ
Principle Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Davis, CAAugust 23, 2017
The benefits for the University are great but depending on what department you work in will make the experience differ. For example, Dining Services and Student Housing is a bad place to work, but University Extension is a great place to work for the work/life balance.