The University of Chicago Hospitals Employee Reviews

Good Company
Lead medical lab technician (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 5, 2016
Enjoyed learning the backside of how diagnosis are found..
Doctors willing to teach employees.
Good work environment for employees,.
Hardest part leaving
Best part helping others
Pros
Enjoyable work enviroment
Cons
Some management
Room for growth
Centralized Telemetry Technician (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 3, 2016
U of C is a place to learn and grow within the system. They tend to take care of their people and encourage them to move up within the system. This is a great place to work.
Medical Biller (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 21, 2016
I liked working there very much ,a typical work day was busy meeting deadlines but not extreme.I love the atmosphere of the whole place.I think if you get in the right department ,its a really great place to grow.
Pros
good pay
Cons
different departments different rules
A great place to work
Patient Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 7, 2016
Great with patient health care and employees benefits are great and so is your co-workers. Parking is expensive for patient and employees.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
No parking
Temp Position/very nice place to work
Coder/Biller (Former Employee) –  Darion, IlJune 7, 2016
Hired in as a Temp position, billing office, in Darien. Clean place to work. Lots of work, always busy. Everyone works together as a team.
Pros
no Free Lunches
Cons
15 Minute breaks, 30 minute lunches
Great place to work for advancing careers. School reimbursement
Patient Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 18, 2016
A typical day at the University of Chicago is never a typical day! Its always interesting and eventful! I must say that's what makes my work day. Assisting patients with coordinating appointments and post appointment procedures. I work with a great group of co-workers that really focus on the patient experience. We work together cohesively to ensure that the patients have the best experience possible. Our team definitely tries to make sure that we take special care of our patients. Working here at the University can make you feel like you have a second family, whether it be with the patients or your co-workers. The hardest part of this job is to see the extremely sick children suffer through their illnesses and the toll that it takes on the families. Here we make sure that our patients are as comfortable as possible while they are in our care. I enjoy being apart of that patient experience that
Pros
Vaction, personal time, the co-worker Bonds
Cons
No parking
Rewarding Place to Work, Highly Respected Peers
Patient Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 16, 2016
Fast paced and sometimes overwhelming, the University is truly at the 'Forefront of Medicine." I have the pleasure of working with some of the most highly respected group of peers who really value what their work and contributions mean to the many patients and families that walk through our doors daily. I love being able to make a positive diffrence in someone's life at such a vulnerable time
fun
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 4, 2016
this was my first job. I was happy and excited about starting and see how it feel to work but i learn how to make a prefect sandwich and greeting with the people as i make they food.
Just a number
Appointment coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 19, 2016
No one in this field cares about the well being of the employees it's all about money and once your no longer in with their company and try to get back they look at you as a total stranger..
Pros
Working with good people
Cons
Bad leadership
Great Culture
Manager, Data Center Infrastructure (Current Employee) –  Hyde Park, ILApril 1, 2016
Very professional laid back culture encourages professional development and self initiative. Management is very attuned to employee sentiment.
Diverse
Surgical Technician, Gynecological (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 21, 2016
Very diverse work place and there is a lot of room for growth. The University is a very large place and always ahead of current medical practices.
Difficult job to learn, many variables. Management so-so.
Patient Logistics Nurse (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 16, 2016
Difficult job to learn with many variables. No opportunity for lunch. Management very strict and not forthcoming. Best part of job was interactions with outside facilities physicians and nurses. Co-workers were nice.
Cons
No lunches
Gives quality care to all.
Image Team Leader for General Procedures Radiology (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 11, 2016
Caring to patients needs, surrounding staff members, staff and non- staff members. Gives quality care at all. Teaches staff to continue to do better, assists by giving tools such as seminars and classes to staff to reach goals to make the best team.
Productive institution
Medical Technician III (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 10, 2016
I acquired a lot of skills from the University of Chicago. It was a great place to work. Unfortunately I was laid off in 2009 for budgetary reasons.
Avoid working here at all costs!
Advanced Pharmacy Technician - Inpatient Pharmacy (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 8, 2016
Management is downright terrible to the technicians, zero understanding of what work/life balance is, severe staffing issues and turn over rate is so high because of all the problems. Pay is top of the scale but this is to compensate for the awful environment.
Pros
Tons of overtime available for the willing
Cons
Abusive management, no work/life balance, disorganized, stressful environment
Employees are people too
Patient Transporter (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IllinoisMarch 2, 2016
The University preaches to their employee about giving the red carpet service to patients. I totally am for that, but the administration staff have little or no regards for their employees. There is a lot of favoritism among family members and acquaintances employed at this hospital. Almost on a daily basis employees are threatened with termination. There is no open door policy for employees, if you have a concern you are written up or fired. The University tends to be more of a plantation than a hospital to workers. The pay is not that great for all you're expected to do in a days work. Patient Transporters are expected to walk the long corridors between three hosptials for their entire shift without breaks. Employees at this hospital are disposable, if you get hurt on job, you lose position.
Pros
The patients are the best thing about this job.
Cons
No breaks outside of lunch.
Don't seem to care about their employees
Patient Care Technician and CNA (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 25, 2016
They didn't shoe enough that they care about their employees and really didn't listen to their employee's and seldom followup on things that they say they will take care of
Pros
good benefits and compensation package
Cons
lack of respect for their employees
Busy, educational opportunity
Occupational Therapist (Former Employee) –  Hyde Park, ILFebruary 23, 2016
Great place for new graduates to gain knowledge and seek advancement opportunities throughout a career. Gain confidence while working with other professions (advanced and students)
Challenging Environment
Assistant Director of Environmental Services (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 23, 2016
Good for experience in Medical industry, but be prepare for organization changes regularly. Other than that you will learn a lot good and bad during your time there.
Productive environment where I had fun and utilized my exceptional customer service skills
Housekeeping III /Food Services Aide (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 1, 2016
Implement repetitive cleaning, dusting, mopping, sanitizing, supplying and maintaining patient care areas and offices within Comer’s Children Hospital NICU department. Organized and prepared working materials/cart for co workers prior to working independently in NICU and other assigned areas; task also included accommodating the needs of physicians, nurses and clerical staff in maintaining a sanitary environment. Organized and prepared food and beverages prior to working independently in the kitchen area and other assigned areas; task included preparing breakfast/ lunch for patients and clients, washing dishes and organizing silverware, cleaning the cafeteria and accommodating the needs of customers.Greet patients and /or visitors by providing answers to questions or assistance with directions. Enjoyed serving customers and patients with high quality service.
Pros
1 hour breaks

4.2