The University of Chicago Hospitals Employee Reviews in United States

Productive work environment
Appointment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 2, 2016
I worked at the University of Chicago Hospitals for 8 years. There is definitely room for advancement and they offer75% tuition reimbursement.
Pros
Room for advancement, healthcare benifits
Great place to work and compassionate people to work with.
Patient Transportation Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 30, 2015
A typical day at work was making sure that patient arrived at their schedule appointments on time. Upper management, was understanding and easy going to work with. The hardest part of the job was that I received pages at 2am in the morning. The most enjoyable was everyone was warm, insightful and ambitious.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Receiving pages at 2am in the morning.
Enjoyable place to work.
Purchasing Manager, Pharmaceuticals (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 14, 2015
Fast paced work day, which I enjoyed, with lots of diversity. Wonderful coworkers; friendly and helpful. Would not have left, but for the commute. Unable to move at the time.
Loved working here!
Sr. Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 19, 2015
Great clinical and admin support teams with the primary focus on patient care. Management is demanding but fair. Coworkers are supportive. Advancement is available if you push for it and prove yourself.
Pros
Good comp. Challenging opportunities if you want them. Great coworkers.
Cons
Difficult location. Lots of change, which is necessary, can be challenging.
University Of Chicago Hospital
Facilities Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Hyde Park, ILNovember 28, 2015
Great place to work. Poor workers who don't believe in hard work nor dedication. I, in turns, really enjoyed the experience and became OSHA certified with the great training of my team leader.
Productive work place , patient care
Surgical Patient Sevice Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 2, 2015
Like working in hospital and laboratory. Patients are so nice ,get along with co- workers, works as a team when needed . Doctors are nice and caring
Nice work environment great schedule
Surgery Verification Representative (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 31, 2015
I work for the University of Chicago Hospitals at an offsite location in Darien IL and it's a nice work environment with a great schedule.
great place to work all the latest equipment.
Instrument Technician (Former Employee) –  chicago,illSeptember 23, 2015
decontamination of instruments cleaning assembly and sterilization of instruments, packing and receiving supplies.placing orders for surgery.
Pros
get hours lots of overtime available
Cons
short breaks
Fast pace
Transporter (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 29, 2015
It's a great company to work for and the people are very helpful. You are always busy traveling outside to deliver equipment and learn different parts of the hospital.
Pros
Always traveling outdoors
Cons
No open position at the time
productive , fast paced, curtisy, and care
food service worker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 4, 2015
working as a food service worker was a joy. the most enjoyable part was being able to have direct contact with the patients while serving their food. patients favorite part of the day was meal time and it was pleasurable to be able to go in and see their day improve. a typical day at work included walking throught the entire (3) hospitals within the university of chicago, greet the patient , and deliver their food in a prompt time.i learned a great deal of time managment skills
Pros
having direct contact with patients

Want to know more about The University of Chicago Hospitals?

Ask a question
Great nursing experience when caring for criticially ill patients
Staff Nurse - Surgical Intensive Care Unit (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 28, 2015
A typical day at work can be strenuous, but one can learn a lot. The manager on the Surgical Intensive Care Unit is very resourceful. I wouldn't recommend new graduates to work for this employer. My coworkers are not as helpful as I would like them to be. The hardest part of the job is trying to manage the high patient acuity. The most enjoyable part of the job is learning new things and providing great patient care.
Pros
100% tuition reimbursement
Cons
Short to no breaks and high patient acuity
U of C is an excellent patient, they provide the best care to their patients and the newer buildings help make the patients stay a little easier
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 28, 2015
U of C is a beautiful campus and provides excellent patient care with various specialty units. I enjoyed working there and enjoyed making a small difference in the patients lives. However, the PCT's often worked extremely short staffed and many of the RN's did not think it was part of their job description to help us out. We often had up to 36 patients with only one PCT. When issues were brought to management they very often seemed to be swept under the rug. My coworkers were mostly all related therefore making it a very unwelcoming environment.
Pros
I absolutely loved being a part of the U of C team, I felt honored to be working at such a wonderful hospital.
Cons
Poor management for the unit, not enough team work, very short staffed.
Great benefits. Great teamwork. Poor upper management
Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IllinoisAugust 6, 2015
I worked in the Respiratory Therapy Dept.at the University of Chicago Hospital about 3 years ago, for 11 yrs.on the night shift with the adult patients.The patient workload was busy, but manageable. We had a very close-knit team of excellent therapist, who were willing to help each other out whenever possible, if needed. Mid management was very competent, and usually friendly, approachable, and caring. However, I rated management at only 2 stars because of the Upper Management...they were callous, clueless, and unwilling or unable to address most of our concerns on the night shift. This created the hardest part of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job was the great team that I worked with. And the respect, and admiration that we received from many of the doctors, nurses, and other staff was nice. Most of our patients and their families really appreciated us.
Pros
Great benefits. Great teamwork.
Cons
Poor upper management
Productive and pleasant culture work environment
Inventory Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 10, 2015
Productive environment that will allow you to work independently within your realm of specialty. Availability to work different shifts is beneficial.
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 21, 2015
Professional environment with fully qualified and talented staff. Excellent Management, great scheduling, opportunities for career advancement.
Every day I learned a great deal working there.
Hardest part of job was experiencing some patient's deaths.
Most enjoyable part was making a difference in patients lives.
Pros
Cons
A lot of work
Great hospital...Good work environment!!!
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 16, 2015
a typical day for me, starts with setting up and preping for the day, greeting customers and patients, make sure all areas are kept in clean,making sure all patients and customers are satisfied.

I learned that working as a team helps, how to be be a leader, how to prep and prepare for the day, My co workers were great i got along with them..we worked great as a team i enjoyed working with the, Managemnt was Awesome as well...i had no problems with any of the staff.

There was really not hard about my job to me, The most Enjoyable was that i seen Customers and Patients with simles on there faces and that let me know i ad donw my job well and they were satisfied with my customer service that i provided to them.
Pros
Great Hospital, Good Food, Excellent Environment
Great for family life
Chief Neurophysiology Technologist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 1, 2015
Workign only 3 days a week was amazing because it gave me the opportunity to enjoy family life. The staff is super friendly and willing to help others.
Pros
Great family life
Expanding facility
DIET TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 19, 2015
I have 2 jobs full and part time at my research greet ing subjects and getting food preference
And measurements if need food tolerence and putting and data in the sysyem and providing the subject either with a design meal which I have to prepare or and out pt with either a hot meal of standard meal base on the protocaol as a part timer and the second job it consist of enter in data in the system taking up to about 100 to 200 calls from patients orders a meal or questions about the diet.
Pros
pay and thrill of helping
Cons
not enought time with the patients
Great Learing opportunities
Endoscopy Technician (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 7, 2015
First employment opportunity as a medical assistant and I absolutely loved it. Learned numerous things and hands on training helped me become proficient in my job duties and skills.
Not Great
Patient Appointment Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 30, 2015
The actual duties are fine, but if you have a question or need something out of the realm of your specific duties no one knows anything. No one answers the phone and everyone acts like they are scared to talk to the patients.
Pros
Scheduled raises
Cons
Lots of questions with no answers.

4.2