The University of Chicago Hospitals

The University of Chicago Hospitals Employer Reviews

Always enjoyed working with my co-workers
Environmental Services Lead (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 12, 2014
Pros: i'm a people person i love being able to talk to the patients
A typical day at work for me was being a Lead..assisting in the Emergency Room and also doing my schedule area in X-ray. I was responsible for opening and closing shift. Distribute supplies and radios. I was also the run around person...with the help of the other lead.

I learned how to be how to resolve issues and/or complaints
with my coworkers, patients, and patient visitors.

My managers were awesome...we got along great and they taught me how to me a team leader. The also taught me the roles of a Supervisor. I was a relief Supervisor on days they were off site.

The most enjoyable part of my job was being a team player. I was always willing to help my employees when they were overwhelmed.

Working as a Housekeeper at the University was a pleasure and a great learning experience.
Excellent Place to work
Radiology Technologist (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 5, 2014
Pros: wonderful learning experience.
Cons: no potential growth in the department
UCMC DCAM department is a fast pace department that is an overall great place to work. The business fast pace teaches you how to become fast and efficient in you field. Wonderful learning and work environment.
University Environment
Living Donor Liver/Kidney Transplant Coordinator (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 30, 2014
Pros: patient contact, education, autonomy
Cons: long commute
Patient coordination and education for Liver Donor and Kidney Donor transplant.
Patient coordination and Education for Hepatobiliary Surgery
Outreach for Liver Surgery and Liver Transplant
Clinic responsibilities on Tuesday and Thursday
Hospital RN education for staff nurses
This was a unique clinic setting with very little downtime.
Clinic Coordinator - Orthopedic Surgery (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 30, 2014
The clinic is staffed with 13 surgeons and 2 nurse practitioners who see a complex mixture of patients on a daily basis. The surgeons have their own sub-specialty, i.e. sports medicine, upper extremities, oncology and etc.

The nurse practitioners have dedicated days in which a knee injection clinic was established to help surgeons concentrate on seeing patient whose care requires unique specialization. The clinic also had a support staff comprised of administrative clerical assistants, medical assistants and cast room technicians as well as a fully staffed radiology department, physical and occupational therapy department.
g
environmental service tech (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 21, 2014
I enjoyed every bit of working for this company. Managers don't hassell you, they let you do your job with limited supervision which is great.
Great hospital! Great people!
Patient Transportation/Equip Dist Manager (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 15, 2014
Great place to work! Treat their employees with respect and compensate generously. Opportunity for advancement!
Excellent Learning Facility
Ultrasound Technologist (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 6, 2014
The University of Chicago Medical Center provided me with an excellent opportunity to learn and grow within my field. I cannot say enough to praise the staff and the work environment.
Busy urban in-patient hospital setting
Registered Nurse (Former Employee), ChicagoDecember 15, 2013
As a new nurse who defined her nurse skills on cardiac step down unit, I looked forward to learning new advancements in medicine.
Summary
Project Management Team Lead (Current Employee), Chicago, ILDecember 11, 2013
Pros: challenging
Cons: no room for growth
• Direct, coach and mentor activities for architects, engineers, contractors, university facilities, plant department and environmental Services for assigned operations.
• Project management lead for technology, development, and laboratory project initiatives within interiors real estate portfolio.
• Manage schedule and optimize planning for various project budgets, vendor contracts, RFP and bidding process.
• Coordinate the planning and budgeting for projects with multiple funding sources.
• Direct and coordinate the initiation of contracts with architectural, engineering firms, construction management firms and general contractors for compliance with contract specifications, terms and conditions.
• Evaluate records and report systems and make or recommend for capital improvements.
• Saved $6,000,000 in construction value engineered cost for various business sites.
• Lead and collaborate with clients on research projects from inception to completion.
Productive fun place
Public Safety Officer (Former Employee), Chicago, ILNovember 26, 2013
Pros: free lunches
Cons: they lose many accounts
I secured the company facility it was a very productive job.
Working With In And Out Patients
Volunteer Radiology (Former Employee), Chicago, ILOctober 22, 2013
Pros: free lunches
Cons: hour breaks
I really enjoyed my time there from learning and working with new people and learning about the different parts in the body that I've never learned in high school in my science class and how they can effect somebody life. I had some days that gave me a hard time and had me slump over at the end of the day, we had forty five in coming patients one day and I was just starting that week, I was like oh my god this going to be a long day and I just had to laugh it off and get to work. It felt like time was moving slow and my manager started to teach me new thing instead of me just starting there and making sure every patient was in the right area. My manager started teaching me how to ship medicine over the hospital through in these tubs and so my manger gave me these codes that I had to memorize so that I can ship the tubs over to other radiology areas etc. Overall they treated me like family, I had fun helping people in need of help, escorting them where they needed to be etc, just some good days.
OK
Research Assistant Professor, O-HNS (Former Employee), Chicago, ILOctober 14, 2013
I worked in the University of Chicago - in three different departments from 2005 to 2103. Working there was a joyous event, not because I felt it was a great institute, but because I and at least some other workers and graduate students felt it was a socially depressing place.

I don't believe in writing a detailed review for a place that was my work place for 7 years and 8 months.
As a researcher here I had to face enough problems, disappointments, adversities, and overall disillusionment.

One star for a gorgeous Gothic campus, great libraries, cultural events, friends and coffee shops. If you live and breathe intellectual this is definitely a place for you. Excited at the idea of working with Nobel Prizes? once again - the University of Chicago will do that for you. And I agree: it's pretty unique.
productive
part time relief worker (Former Employee), chicago, ILSeptember 30, 2013
working at the university of chicago medical center was very get to meet a lot of people and learn about the health filed the hardest part is dealing with some of the patients that could be very rude at times but other that it is an very good environment to work
Best place to be
Program Assistant (Contract/Temp) (Current Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 30, 2013
I love working for the University of Chicago. They take great care of their employees and always have your best interest at hand.
A typical day at U OF C Medical Center
Lead Surgical Processing Technician (Former Employee), Hyde Park, ILSeptember 25, 2013
Pros: hour lunch was good to have. gave you a chance to recooperate.
Cons: short staffing
Very fast paced work place. Always have a will to learn new things and succeed in what you are doing. When things get hard and try to stop you, just remember to keep on striving. Being a willing team player is always good to do. Some times it may start off slow and out of now where you get hit with add on cases like crazy. You have to be able to keep up and follow verbal commands of the o.r. in a fast paced setting at all times. Communication is a must and key to succeed here or in any sterile processing setting.
Great learning experience.
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 17, 2013
I currently work part-time at the University of Chicago Medical Center as a research assistant. I have been employed there since college, and I have had the opportunity to work on a variety of research projects. I have been able to act as project coordinator for a pharmacogenetic study when I was employed full-time.

At the moment, I abstract information from medical record using the electronic medical record system that is set in place at the medical center. Throughout my experiences I have learned do work as part of a team to accomplish goals. I have better honed management skills and had the ability to coordinate a project. The most difficult part of the job at times was coordinating multiple groups that worked on the projects. This was also the most enjoyable because when we were all abel to work together efficiently we were able to accomplish out study goals.
A fair
Environmental Services Housekeeping Assistant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 11, 2013
Working at the University of Chicago Medical has taught me to appreciate life more. While I was working there i was assigned to clean the intensive care unit(ICU) and i would just try to smile as hard i could to cheer the patient up as i could. I love my management and my 3rd shift team.
Great learning environment
Staff Nurse/ Charge Nurse / Precept (Former Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 10, 2013
Pros: they provide a generous tuition reimbursement
Cons: rigid scheduling no flexibility
This was my first job after graduation from Nursing school, I I gained confidence and experience
Highly political; toxic at times
Project Manager (Former Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 8, 2013
Pros: pay, medical insurance, 403b, vacation time
Cons: highly political, cya cultare, hyde park seems unsafe
Great learning opportunity working with very smart and talented people. A competitive culture which I found hard to trust others as well as collaborate better. Somewhat fast paced and very structured - you have to go through layers to get things done. Hardest part of the job is making sure you don't step on any toes or else you are done for. Making an example of people in meetings is the norm.
Drew blood Specimen
Lab Technician (Former Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 6, 2013
Pros: i was out in patient wards
Cons: trying to get patient specimen if they been there for a long time it become sought of difficult.
Drew blood Specimen, take back chemistry lab, prepare for testing.