The University of Chicago Hospitals Employee Reviews

Fast pace
Transporter (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 29, 2015
It's a great company to work for and the people are very helpful. You are always busy traveling outside to deliver equipment and learn different parts of the hospital.
Pros
Always traveling outdoors
Cons
No open position at the time
great place to work all the latest equipment.
Instrument Technician (Former Employee) –  chicago,illSeptember 23, 2015
decontamination of instruments cleaning assembly and sterilization of instruments, packing and receiving supplies.placing orders for surgery.
Pros
get hours lots of overtime available
Cons
short breaks
Loved working here!
Sr. Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 19, 2015
Great clinical and admin support teams with the primary focus on patient care. Management is demanding but fair. Coworkers are supportive. Advancement is available if you push for it and prove yourself.
Pros
Good comp. Challenging opportunities if you want them. Great coworkers.
Cons
Difficult location. Lots of change, which is necessary, can be challenging.
Productive and pleasant culture work environment
Inventory Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 10, 2015
Productive environment that will allow you to work independently within your realm of specialty. Availability to work different shifts is beneficial.
Great benefits. Great teamwork. Poor upper management
Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IllinoisAugust 6, 2015
I worked in the Respiratory Therapy Dept.at the University of Chicago Hospital about 3 years ago, for 11 yrs.on the night shift with the adult patients.The patient workload was busy, but manageable. We had a very close-knit team of excellent therapist, who were willing to help each other out whenever possible, if needed. Mid management was very competent, and usually friendly, approachable, and caring. However, I rated management at only 2 stars because of the Upper Management...they were callous, clueless, and unwilling or unable to address most of our concerns on the night shift. This created the hardest part of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job was the great team that I worked with. And the respect, and admiration that we received from many of the doctors, nurses, and other staff was nice. Most of our patients and their families really appreciated us.
Pros
Great benefits. Great teamwork.
Cons
Poor upper management
Great for family life
Chief Neurophysiology Technologist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 1, 2015
Workign only 3 days a week was amazing because it gave me the opportunity to enjoy family life. The staff is super friendly and willing to help others.
Pros
Great family life
nice career
Cook/ Room service Attendant/ Stockroom (Former Employee) –  chicago,ilJuly 31, 2015
great people lots of overtime, 3 shifts, caring staff, funny patients, good pay, good benefits, nice bonuses, inner city, close public transportation
Great Learing opportunities
Endoscopy Technician (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 7, 2015
First employment opportunity as a medical assistant and I absolutely loved it. Learned numerous things and hands on training helped me become proficient in my job duties and skills.
U of C is an excellent patient, they provide the best care to their patients and the newer buildings help make the patients stay a little easier
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 28, 2015
U of C is a beautiful campus and provides excellent patient care with various specialty units. I enjoyed working there and enjoyed making a small difference in the patients lives. However, the PCT's often worked extremely short staffed and many of the RN's did not think it was part of their job description to help us out. We often had up to 36 patients with only one PCT. When issues were brought to management they very often seemed to be swept under the rug. My coworkers were mostly all related therefore making it a very unwelcoming environment.
Pros
I absolutely loved being a part of the U of C team, I felt honored to be working at such a wonderful hospital.
Cons
Poor management for the unit, not enough team work, very short staffed.
Productive and very fast pace
Weekend Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IllinoisJune 16, 2015
The University Of Chicago has been a great place for learning and expanding my professional skills A teaching institution with high expectations from their employees.
A bit dysfunctional
Asst Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 13, 2015
I loved the mission however it wasn't always sought out at Cleanslate, I did have much joy in helping the typically unhireable
productive , fast paced, curtisy, and care
food service worker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 4, 2015
working as a food service worker was a joy. the most enjoyable part was being able to have direct contact with the patients while serving their food. patients favorite part of the day was meal time and it was pleasurable to be able to go in and see their day improve. a typical day at work included walking throught the entire (3) hospitals within the university of chicago, greet the patient , and deliver their food in a prompt time.i learned a great deal of time managment skills
Pros
having direct contact with patients
Comprehensive care program - Research assistant
CCP Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 1, 2015
The work primarily consisted of badgering the patients that signed up with the program to complete a brutally long and repetitive survey which they got no compensation for.
Great nursing experience when caring for criticially ill patients
Staff Nurse - Surgical Intensive Care Unit (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 28, 2015
A typical day at work can be strenuous, but one can learn a lot. The manager on the Surgical Intensive Care Unit is very resourceful. I wouldn't recommend new graduates to work for this employer. My coworkers are not as helpful as I would like them to be. The hardest part of the job is trying to manage the high patient acuity. The most enjoyable part of the job is learning new things and providing great patient care.
Pros
100% tuition reimbursement
Cons
Short to no breaks and high patient acuity
Excellent place to work
Building Engineer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 27, 2015
Working at the hospital is a excellent place to work. Its a team working environment where we all work as a family. I was able to bring much experience in the HVAC area,as well as learn new aspects to this field.
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 21, 2015
Professional environment with fully qualified and talented staff. Excellent Management, great scheduling, opportunities for career advancement.
Every day I learned a great deal working there.
Hardest part of job was experiencing some patient's deaths.
Most enjoyable part was making a difference in patients lives.
Pros
Cons
A lot of work
Very intense workplace, learned a lot of organizational skills
Information Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 20, 2015
While at the University of Chicago Medical Center I was able to work closely with the Information Systems Director and learn directly from her team of work
Pros
Balanced Workplace
Not Great
Patient Appointment Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 30, 2015
The actual duties are fine, but if you have a question or need something out of the realm of your specific duties no one knows anything. No one answers the phone and everyone acts like they are scared to talk to the patients.
Pros
Scheduled raises
Cons
Lots of questions with no answers.
Great hospital...Good work environment!!!
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 16, 2015
a typical day for me, starts with setting up and preping for the day, greeting customers and patients, make sure all areas are kept in clean,making sure all patients and customers are satisfied.

I learned that working as a team helps, how to be be a leader, how to prep and prepare for the day, My co workers were great i got along with them..we worked great as a team i enjoyed working with the, Managemnt was Awesome as well...i had no problems with any of the staff.

There was really not hard about my job to me, The most Enjoyable was that i seen Customers and Patients with simles on there faces and that let me know i ad donw my job well and they were satisfied with my customer service that i provided to them.
Pros
Great Hospital, Good Food, Excellent Environment
Steady Job
Pharmacy Automation Analyst (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 21, 2015
Busy and challenging work place with lots of projects. Learned and acquired new job skills immerging Pharmacy technology which is related to my job fields

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The University of Chicago Hospitals. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2