The University of Chicago

The University of Chicago Employee Reviews

Productive work
Student Learner (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 26, 2015
Cons: short period of time with coworkers
The best experience ever! I met a lot of different people. I learned about different cultures and also learned about interesting fields I did not know about.
WONDERFUL PLACE TO WORK LEARNED A LOT.
Phone Interviewer (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 21, 2015
I LEARNED HOW TO DEAL WITH PATIENTS ONE ON ONE. GREETED PATIENTS, IN COMING AND OUTGOING PROCEDURES WERE FOLLOWED ON A DAILY BASIS.
Confusing work place
Desk Clerk (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 19, 2015
Pros: Benefits, and over time
Cons: N/A
A typical day at work was always the same, aiding students, and being the main focal point in residence lobby. I learned how to work with stressed out students and staff. Management wasn't to good. My co-workers were quite a colorful bunch. The hardest part of the job was, registering students in and out of system at the beginning and end of the quater. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing students and family happy with the service I have provided them with.
Why not UofC
Desk Clerk I (Current Employee), Chicago, ILApril 10, 2015
Pros: awesome overtime
Cons: nop advancement
-the residential services department is okay, but you will never advance
-the workers aren't your friends
-watch your back because snakes are out to get you
Loved working with all of my fertility patients
Staff RN (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 5, 2015
Pros: Working with my fertility patients
Cons: Management was not quite as organized as I would have wanted
This organization was a nice place to practice my expansive knowledge and skills I possess as a fertility nurse. It was very close to home, which I feel was an added benefit.
Great community and social experience
Lead Desk Clerk (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 27, 2015
Pros: Very close-nit fun, friendly community.
Cons: Little to no room for advancement
Working at the University of Chicago has given me a very broad social and community experience and the opportunity to meet people from all over the world and share in their experiences in learning and growing in unfamiliar surroundings. While working in a college dormitory I've had the pleasure of watching young adults come in as teenagers and leave as prospective leaders of our future or what some would say "Our next generation". I've also worked with some of the most amazing people who essentially became as close as family to me and with that I can truly say that working at the University of Chicago has been a one of kind experience and one that surely will not be forgotten.
Profession and growing
Police Officer (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 6, 2015
Productive and fun workplace. The workplace is very interesting for the Nightshift Policed Officer Most of my co-workers are very nice , professional and eager to assist with all calls. THe hardest part of the job is, getting plenty of rest during the day, and being fit for duty at night , The majority of the Officer have adapted. Management had assisted the employees with more personal issues as well as great training and great work ethics. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting the job done in a professional manner.
A fast paced, lab performing human-level observational, interventional and health services research motivated for justice in health and healthcare
Operations Manager (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 2, 2015
Pros: excellent learning opportunities
Cons: university environment can slow process down
The work of the lab focuses in two main areas: 1) urban health and population health improvement, 2) female sexuality in the context of aging, cancer and other common diseases. I have learned how to be flexible but diligent in my pursuit of inquiry. My co-workers are dedicated to and passionate about their work. The hardest part of the work is being grant funded and having the scope change due to funding.
productive
Phlebotomy Technician (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 1, 2015
Overall great environment. Interacting with the patients and working with helpful workers. Learned to manage a lab in a clinic.
great summer, terrible winter as in Chicago
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 28, 2015
It is a good place to learn things as it's a good University. People here are interesting from different backgrounds. As a RA, your work/life will be largely affected by who is your supervisor.
Great research atmosphere with rigorous training from experts
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 20, 2015
Pros: teaching professors, clinical research, seminars, facilities
Cons: commuting to work
I was a biomedical researcher and PhD student at UChicago and felt my education was thorough and my laboratory projects were on the cutting-edge of modern life sciences.
Nice place to work.
Business Administrator (Current Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 19, 2015
The University of Chicago is a great place to work. The campus is beautiful and the medical and dental benefits are great.
Great place to work! Fun people, great benefits, superior learning possibilities
Assistant Director of Alumni Relations (Former Employee), Chicago, IllinoisFebruary 17, 2015
Pros: excellent opportunity for advancement, leading-edge systems and procedures, great benefits.
The University of Chicago Graduate School of Business (Booth School of Business) is a top-tier graduate school. The environment is fast-paced but very enjoyable. Co-workers were a highlight as well as working the the alumni population throughout the world.
Great Place to work
EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT (Current Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 13, 2015
Excellent home/life balance
Great coworkers
Excellent benefits

I love working here. If I wasn't relocating I'd be here until I retired!
Great family enviorment
Project Assistant III/Benefits Assistant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 10, 2015
Great place to work. Great family and work life balance. Benefits are great. Salaries are wonderful and experience and education may be recognized.
Great Place to work and Grow if your a Compassionate Person
Patient Transportation Specialist (Former Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 4, 2015
Pros: great pay, good people
Cons: some nurses and managers can abuse athority at times
University of Chicago is a Great Place to Work, Lots of Great People and Great Pay, There are plenty opportunities to grow within the company... Great Perks and Incentives...Just an overall great place!
This is a position as siting in housing at a college dorm.
Resident Master's Assistant (Current Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 4, 2015
Working in housing at University of Chicago is a great experience. We host great events, eat great food, and have a lot of fun together.
Overall a good place to work, good benefits, numerous perks, with club or department sponsored socials about twice a month
Application Processing Manager (Former Employee), Booth School of BusinessFebruary 3, 2015
Pros: department or student sponsored social twice a month, info to community events
Cons: employee parking, tuition reimbursement
My job was sort of cyclical, with definite peak times of high activity and stressful situations. For the most part, the cycle dictated the flow, which made it easy to plan for these situations and make them less stressful. The most activity occurred on an application deadline date and a few days after, interview release dates and final decision dates. I oversaw the application process and served as the contact person for all things application related, technical and/or material related. As it pertains to my duties, a typical day would start by me finalizing the daily visit schedule as well as student volunteers and making sure that the appropriate materials were available. During the interview phase, this list also included interviewees, which required cross referenced lists. After which, I would check a departmental email account and forward to the responsible party as well as answer those that related to my duties(ongoing throughout day as well as phone messages). This was usually followed by a mail run resulting in the uploading and attaching of any received documents that were related to applications identified as current applicants. Once an application is deemed complete, I would electronically assign the application to a member of the admissions committee to evaluate, once evaluated, results would be entered, this process would repeat at least 2 more times(sometimes more), and holds true for all duties depending on where we are in the cycle.

The thing I learned most, is all people are typically the same, no matter nationality, ethnicity, gender, or social upbringing. – more... Everyone wants to feel that they are being heard and treated with respect, which is something that I think my most recent employer got away from. When I first started there as a temporary employee in 2003 it was a all hands on deck, all inclusive, all informed environment, temps were welcome to participate in activities and functions as if they were permanent employees, in my opinion, this environment has gradually changed, I see it as a breakdown in communications especially over the last 4-6 years, which leads me to my co-workers.

Overall my co-workers and colleagues were great! Over the last several years, my most recent employer has gone through several technology updates. During this transition, unfortunately two members of my team, have passed and were not replaced, they were people that I interacted with outside of the job and considered close friends, they mentored me during my temporary assignments and encouraged me to pursue the permanent position, needless to say I miss them.

There really wasn't a hard part to my job. The thing I disliked the most, was everyone getting uptight, frantic or edgy on deadline dates especially final decisions (as it relates to the cycle described above) even though we go through it three times per calendar year. But, usually after decisions were released the anxiety would subside and everything would be back to normal.

The most enjoyable part of my job was reading the applications and interacting with the student volunteers, applicants and eventually those admitted to the program. I learned so much about many different cultures from so many unknowing teachers. – less
For the love of nerds
GIS Analyst (Current Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 3, 2015
Pros: free coffee
Cons: limited transitions from temps to full time
Great working environment for those who like data driven research. Co-workers and supervisors are all very friendly.
Actively and compassionately taking care of patients while preserving their dignity and respect
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Technologist (Current Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 1, 2015
I have been an advocate for Patient Centered Care (PCC) for all of the decades that I hard been in Radiology as a mentor, tutor, teacher and Imaging Technologist.

1 2 3 4 5

About The University of Chicago

Founded by oil magnate John D. Rockefeller, the University of Chicago is a private, nondenominational institution of higher learning. – Read more

The University of Chicago Salaries