The University of Georgia Employee Reviews

Productive and enjoyable place to work
Cadaver Dissection Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Athens, GASeptember 8, 2015
Wonderful place of employment I enjoyed my colleagues and supervisor thoroughly. Acquired several skills during my two years, some of these skills include becoming well versed in Microsoft office, efficiently working as a team with others on projects, and acquiring more knowledge on the Anatomy and Physiology of the human body.
Pros
A constant learning curve
Cons
Great job working with great people
Student Athlete Tutor (Former Employee) –  Athens, GAJanuary 14, 2016
Job can be challenging, but overall is great pay for getting to share your knowledge with others. The people are also super cool.
good place to work and have a family life
materials handler (Current Employee) –  Athens, GAOctober 22, 2015
I enjoy working for the university of georgia but miss the retail business and would like to return typical day starts at 730 am and ends at 430 where i unload trucks store product fill orders for retail units around campus
Uga
International Education Financial Director (Former Employee) –  Athens, Ga.May 18, 2015
UGA is a great place to work. People are great and everyone honestly cares about the success of the students. It's a different place to work versus the private sector, but the goal is the same and consistent throughout, quality of education is the top priority. UGA is under relatively new Senior Management and they are doing a great job. Some levels of Senior Management are a bit myopic, but the vision remains clear, quality in the delivery of the student experience. There are several positions in Senior Management that would benefit from turnover.
Pros
Schedule, people
Cons
Public University is very political
Productive workplace with a strong interest in fundraising.
Administrative Associate I (Current Employee) –  Athens, GAJanuary 21, 2014
My position is one with many different job duties. They range from typical administrative work such as processing employee reimbursements, purchasing items for the office, etc., to compiling research of foundations providing grants that may be beneficial to The University of Georgia. The research aspect of the position is very enjoyable to me. It's great to be able to help a professor or research worker on campus connect with a foundation and be able to obtain funding from that foundation for a project they are working on. To know that your work made that possible is very gratifying.
Pros
Excellent healthcare, great co-workers
Steady employment with reasonable standards.
Facilities Clerk I (Former Employee) –  Griffin, GAApril 10, 2012
Overall, I can't complain much at all about my experience working for the University of Georgia. The compensation wasn't the best, given that it is state government, but the benefits were excellent.

The work standard was fair. Do your job, and you're fine.

The main flaw is that your position within the University basically remains static once you are there. There is little to no chance to ever see a promotion. They like keeping their workers exactly where they are, rather than risk shaking things up.
Pros
good benefits, reasonable expectations.
Cons
little to no chance of advancement.
Relaxed, professional and educational
Systems Administration Specialist (Former Employee) –  Athens, GAMarch 4, 2013
This job was not easy, but my previous department's co-workers talked me into it as my skills far outstripped a desktop support and
webmaster job.

Even though my first 3 months I was in over my head, I used every tech skill in my possession and made it my own and enjoyed every single day for 4 years.

Skills in cross-platform Operating System (Windows, Linux, Solaris) and networking (wired, wireless, fiber), Servers, Workstations, Desktops, Support, VPN, VNC to increase production and security.
Pros
near perfect job, fantastic boss, excellent people
Cons
save for some long hours to get things done
Good work!
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Athens, GAJune 27, 2013
On a typical day,I would assist the main professor with copies, grading exams, and classify student information. Around exam period, there would be so much to do in so little time, so I definitety learned a lot about time management and working under pressure. The hardes part of the job would have to be giving back the exams, since most students wanted to argue about their grades. The most enjoyable part would have to be the learning experience. Working there made me realize that I can work in any environment,
Great people to work with
Associate Accountant (Current Employee) –  Griffin, GAMay 9, 2013
A typical day would for me would be reconciling reports, processing payroll, budget amendments, journal vouchers, and getting workers hired for the two departments that I work for. With that being said, I don't always have typical days. The management and co-workers here are easy to work with. The hardest part of my job is having so many different rules that are constantly changing. For example, The Board of Regents has its set of rules, UGA has its set of rules, each college in UGA has its set of rules. This can be frustrating at times, but at the same time, keeps my job interesting. I am always up for a challenge. The most enjoyable part of my job are my co-workers. We are a team here.
Pros
laid back atmosphere
Cons
pay, benefits
Bad Choices Made
PROGRAM ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Jeffersonville, GAApril 3, 2015
I really enjoyed working for UGA. Although, it was a part-time job, it was great for me living in a small town with minimal expenses. I landed a full-time job and decided to keep both jobs. My supervisor at the time did not like that I had both jobs and did everything he did to get me to quit. When that didn't work, he tried to fire me! I reported him to the UGA HR department, and the case was being handled, but due to personal issues, I ended up quitting. I now wish I had stayed, because he retired and I feel like he painted a bad picture of me to UGA and for that reason, I can't get another job there. I may be wrong, but it's been 3 years and I don't have the job yet. However, I still feel like it was a great company to work for and if circumstances were different and I had stayed, UGA would have done right by me.
Pros
In a small town in Georgia. that name carries a lot of weight. It's UGA! I think I've said enough.
Cons
I don't truly know if I have been black-balled.
Food Service
Food service (Former Employee) –  Athens GaJuly 19, 2014
The job itself isn't bad, the mangers are horrible and don't know how to talk to people. It's no room for advancement, they are very picking about you using your annual and sick leave time. They make up rules to get you not to use them. You schedule can change anytime and it's nothing you can do about it.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Management, upper management no raise
Research Experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Athens, GAAugust 27, 2012
During the course of my research experience, I learned how to properly use laboratory equipment and how to communicate the experiment to others in the lab. A typical day included cleaning the materials to be used and using various equipment and software to analyze the data.
I was a Teachers Aid
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Athens, GAMay 18, 2014
I was a student and served as the teachers Aid. There isn't much more to say other than that. Basically help the teacher take roll, grade papers and manage other classroom logistics.
Pros
NO Homework!
Cons
None really, grading papers I guess
Great place to work!
Director of Diversity Relations (Current Employee) –  Athens, GAJanuary 21, 2015
Excellent work environment! Provides the opportunity to develop the next generation and help others achieve their goals.
Pros
No two days are the same.
Cons
Upward mobility can be difficult!
Diverse and fun work environment
Food Chemistry Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Athens, GASeptember 29, 2014
I really enjoyed my time at UGA. Made some of my best friends there and had some very memorable moments together.
Stable work
Building Service Attendant (Former Employee) –  Athens, GASeptember 21, 2012
Cleaned offices, bathrooms, sweep and mop floors.
Took garbage to the dumpsters,put up supplies,etc.
Cons
healthcare, life insurance policy
Verey Instructional and learnig and interactive place to work and learn
Laboratory Manager II (Current Employee) –  Athens, GANovember 11, 2014
It is one of the best intititution for learnig and advanced degree.
Great Place
Accountant, Contracts and Grants (Current Employee) –  Athens, GeorgiaNovember 24, 2013
Great Environment for Education. The true interest in the development of world-class research and student achievement.
Wonderful
HR ACCOUNTING MANAGER AND BENEFITS COUNSELOR (Former Employee) –  Athens, GASeptember 8, 2012
A great employer and the administrative leaders are respected and valued. A terrific place to work!
The best place to learn everything about poultry
MAM Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  ATHENSFebruary 17, 2014
The best place to learn everything about poultry
Build a lot of field experience

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The University of Georgia. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5