The University of Iowa

The University of Iowa Employer Reviews

Iowa Advantage coordinator and career adviser
IOWA Advantage Coordinator, Career Advisor (Former Employee), Iowa City, IAFebruary 18, 2015
Career adviser at a Big 10 University and coordinator of a voluntary, fee based student program designed to build and market e-portfolios of students' work.
College Job
TEACHING ASSISTANT (Current Employee), Iowa City, IAFebruary 16, 2015
Awesome to be a TA at University of Iowa. Professors are great.
Also, the Computer science dept staff is great.
Helping out students feels satisfying.
A huge machinery with a lot of inertia to be overcome.
Clinical technician I (Current Employee), Iowa City, IAFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: nice camadery among most of us...
Cons: no breaks at all except for one or two minutes from time to time, also the physical environment is either too cold or too hot, also is hard to understand the low level of knowledge of our supervisor and higher management.
Responsible for analysis of Red Alarms and to call nurses and doctors about important details and Rhythm changes on the ECG tracings as well as to answer questions related with the mentioned ECG’s. Activate Rapid Response Units when necessary. Keep all patients on line for constant monitoring and admit or discharge patients when indicated. Keep track of telemeters (Tele Packs) in use as well as maintain and test them before reuse.

I learned to be multitasking and precise in my observations and interpretations, The work load stimulated me to deep more into the Electrophysiology and that way be able to have a more profound and fast understanding of all the events happening in the heart of the patient.

Management, in my environment came as a consequence of multitasking with dynamic priories depending on the relative level of importance of a particular demand and the particular frame of circumstances at this particular moment.

About my co-workers,in general well behaved and perceptive of suggestions that might translate in a better management and therefore better results.

The hardest part of the job is to cope with the loud music which is not of my taste, however I managed with ear plugs that attenuate the music and casual conversations allowing me to listen very clearly all the alarms in my station, At that time would come the best and most enjoyable part of my job by being precise, fast and accurate in converting all and each of the ECG tracings into the most clear and useful description that would help the nurses and doctors to make the proper decisions in benefit of the patients, I really love that part!
Large state run healthcare system
Administrative Director (Current Employee), Iowa City, IAFebruary 4, 2015
Pros: excellent benefits, excellent stability, opportunity to develop professionally
Cons: frustrating bureaucracy and feeling of over-regulation and top-heavy, sometimes out of touch administration
University of Iowa Hospital and Clinics is a world class academic medical center in the midwest, serving the entire state of Iowa and midwest region. It is a place focused on research, teaching, and the clinical practice of medicine. The Department of Orthopaedics & Rehabilitation has allowed me to grow with tremendous autonomy and respect for my contributions, while supporting my professional development. I work in a very challenging and highly remunerative sector of healthcare, and am responsible for all aspects of the Orthopedic Workers' Compensation clinic operations, financial management and budgeting, human resources responsibilities, marketing, physician outreach, and clinical research duties, in addition to leadership teams throughout the Ortho Department as well as UIHC. My typical workday includes such varied activities as operational management in the clinic with regular patient interaction, drafting of complex medical-legal opinions, developing and monitoring budgets and fee schedules, monitoring and analyzing financial performance, regular reporting to senior leadership, managing staff in 2 separate clinic locations 110 miles apart, continuing to work with senior hospital administration on strategic development, marketing, meeting with non-UIHC attorneys, insurers, employers, and physicians. I work in a highly scrutinized and regulated public healthcare system, ultimately responsible to the Board of Regents, state legislature, and people of the State of Iowa. This environment can be careful and slow moving, and can pose challenges that result in a sometimes frustrating – more... bureaucracy. This is, at times, the most challenging part of my job. My staff and co-workers are excellent, hard-working, and reliable people. I am proud to have only lost 1 staff member in over 5 years of operations (and she left us to return to school full-time) and greatly respect the people who work for me. My job is always interesting and each day is different, which I love, and I have had the opportunity to develop a specialty clinic with near complete autonomy, which I have also valued and has taught me a great deal about healthcare management and business development. – less
Great place to work and learn
Facilities management (Former Employee), Boyd Law Building, Dental Science BuildingJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: great benefits (medical)
Cons: management
I worked alot of construction in my 20's and warehouse jobs in my 30's, but the U I is an easy going place to work with great benefits. They dont expect you to "kill yourself" to get a job finished but they will train you how to do it faster and accurately.
Graduate Assistant
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Iowa City, IAJanuary 27, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: draining work
On a typical day I would have classes and lab work. I would carry out experiments or research articles to further my project. My lab staff got along very well. I have been told one of my good qualities is that I am a people person. The hardest part of my job was dealing with the extreme hours needed to perform some of the experiments correctly. But this was balanced by my interest in science and friendship I had with my coworkers, which helped the hours pass by.
Eye opening
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Iowa City, IADecember 15, 2014
Great opportunity as a TA to allow students to get out of their comfort zones. Was a great enjoyment by all.
great company to work for
Certified Medical Assistant II (Former Employee), Iowa City, IADecember 14, 2014
Everyone works as a team and people are always willing to lend a hand.
very fun place to work
Internship in the Biology Department (Former Employee), Iowa City, IADecember 6, 2014
Pros: very respectful people
Cons: no flexible hours
it was very fun to work at this place because everyday i met some new challenges and i always found a way to overcome with my supervisor help. i learned how to work with people from different background, how to be more patient, how to lead people and also how to have fun while working without breaking any rule. all my co-workers were very great, always ready to give a hand if needed, no matter what kind of problem you have, they would always be there for you. The director and the supervisors were really amazing. until today we are still in contact and they are my good friends and parents. the hardest part of this job was to be accepted at the beginning, because i had to work twice harder than everyone to gain their respect. and the most enjoyable part was when a student i helped improved his/her grade and passed the class i was tutoring
A good place to work
Student Receptionist (Current Employee), Iowa City, IANovember 24, 2014
I throughly enjoyed working here. It was a very great place to understand more about myself and the people that I worked with. The work was rewarding and the people i worked with helped me learn a lot about myself and what i wanted to do in my future. The environment was welcoming and I always knew that I was going to have a good day at work.
Great job experiance
Nursing Assistant (Current Employee), Iowa City, IANovember 21, 2014
Pros: benefits
I enjoyed working at the University of Hospital because i got to meet a ton of great staff members. After my injury as a nursing assistant the staff would always ask how I'm feeling and doing with recovery.
The greatest part of my job was getting to meet great families of the patients. The families really did appreciate what we did for the patients while they were in SNICU. I enjoyed my days working there.
Research, Teaching, and Service
Associate Professor (Former Employee), Iowa City, IowaNovember 19, 2014
My experience was a pleasant one. In addition to conducting research and teaching, I organized and implemented two academic conferences.
A very good place to be employed
Medical Assistant II (Current Employee), Iowa City, IANovember 10, 2014
Pros: benefits
I love everything about working here. Workign for this coming has helped me succeed as a medical assistant. I have learned everything I need and more to help me further into my career.
Great place to work with purpose
Application Developer (Former Employee), Iowa City, IAOctober 31, 2014
I loved working for the University. Very smart people and doing the most important work you can do.
NOne
Staff Nurse (Former Employee), Iowa CityOctober 24, 2014
It's a good hospital, good benefits, Electronic conversion compliant. For me, the hardest part of the job when Doctors inform patient they can go home but no Discharge order made. Patient will start packing and ready to go. This is when RN will try to smoothen the situation. Oftentimes, patient's direct their anger to the Nurse.
Helping those in needs
Storekeeper (Former Employee), University of Iowa Hospitals and ClinicsOctober 19, 2014
As a previous storekeeper at the UI Hospitals supply room, my main responsibility was to get the needed supplies into the omnicells (a computer inventory system) throughout the hospital. The work was very manageable, and it was not easy to get the necessary supplies to throughout the hospital and supply them to different patients. I learned accountability of an individual is very important. There is one and only one person handling the picking supplies, putting the supplies in the omnicells, and also responsible for cycle counts. The hardest part of the job was the cycle counts because when nurses are in a hurry, many times they forget to count the items they took out in the omnicells. Therefore, it requires more time for a storekeeper to count up all the items, which could delay the time for the next omnicell to be picked. Overall, it was a good experience to learn how supplies are supplied throughout an immense hospital and how procurement, accounting, supplier, and the supply room work together to purchase supplies then use them to help those in needs.
Great place to work!
Physical Therapist Assistant (Current Employee), Iowa City, IAOctober 13, 2014
Pros: benefits, staff.
Cons: parking, cafeteria is expensive.
Benefits are amazing! Hours are fair, and management is easy to work with.
Great place to learn
Archaeology Lab Technician (Former Employee), Iowa City, IAOctober 8, 2014
Pros: work at your own schedule
Cons: non paid internship
Working in the lab you learn the technical non-glamorous side of Archaeology. Professors are able to show you the proper techniques to clean and sort all material found. Great way to learn detail oriented skills. Also, it is a very cool experience to know you are helping restore ancient artifacts from the dig site and work part as a larger team.
Excellent hub for research activity
Teaching assistant (Current Employee), Iowa City, IAOctober 7, 2014
As a research assistant in the wireless communications lab of the ECE department, I interacted with excellent lab mates who are all adept in signal processing, optimization techniques and algorithms design. The PI's in the lab are also knowledgeable and help the lab members to realize their potentials. The hardest part of the job is of course coming up with novel but tractable techniques to tackle difficult problems. The enjoyable part is the feeling you get when a novel approach of yours works wonders!
Good work environment, nice People
Student Organization Business (Former Employee), Iowa city, IAOctober 6, 2014
I worked in a office that provide financial services to student organization. My supervisor and co-worker are all very nice and the working time is flexible. There are some busy time during the first several weeks of semester begins, but it will slow down after the first month passes.

1 2 3 4 5