The University of Iowa

The University of Iowa Employer Reviews

Its okay
Volunteer -MICU (Former Employee), Iowa City, IAMarch 21, 2015
Pros: cheap hospital food
Cons: nurses were mean sometimes.
Good environment to be around, however, can be hectic at times.

Learned a lot of about what happens exactly in intensive care units.

Most enjoyable part was watching minor procedures being done in the rooms.
Professional
Medical laboratory Scientist II (Current Employee), Iowa City, IAMarch 19, 2015
Pros: great benefits
very professional workplace, and very productive atmosphere with great people to work with. It is a great place to work and learn with the added benefits of working in a academic environment.
TA is good gig
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Current Employee), Iowa City, IAMarch 18, 2015
Rewarding to work with college students and help them learn

Decent pay (enough to live on while in graduate school)

Good health care benefits - medical and dental
Laid back and easy going work environment with coworkers of all types.
Storekeeper (Current Employee), Iowa City, IAMarch 11, 2015
Pros: employee discount for meals, sufficient break times
Cons: sometimes it can be difficult to work the full 20 hours allowed
Shifts vary day-to-day for the student employees. A typical day consists of badging in and then starting right in to picking the Omnicell lists. Each list has the specific items needed for that machine so you grab a cart and go throughout the storeroom grabbing the items needed and then running them to the proper location. There are a number of student workers as well as full time staff that work both 1st and 2nd shifts to help the students along and all are very easy to get along with and communicate what needs to be done. The hardest part of the job, in my opinion, is trying to stay busy when things begin to slow down toward the end of the shift but that can usually be taken care of by wandering throughout the storeroom and breaking down excess boxes or prepping certain items for later shifts to access more easily. The most enjoyable part would be the independence of being able to work alone and not have someone constantly barking orders or monitoring every move one makes.
Wonderful place to work
Secretary II (Former Employee), Department of Ophthalmology, Retina ServiceMarch 9, 2015
Pros: one hour lunch
Cons: so busy there was little to no time to take my breaks.
Each day I enjoyed going into work. Every day I was faced with new challenges either from the physicians or the patients. The dynamics of working within a healthcare environment were so vast and ever changing that you really did not notice how quickly time flies. A typical day for me would be fielding patient telephone calls and each call would be different based on the patient's needs, (i.e. scheduling issues, prescription refills, surgical patient inquiries). I would create clinic notes for the doctors, scan all outside medical records into patient charts, transcribe physician correspondence. Not only were these my responsibilities but I would arrange travel for my assigned doctors; organize their presentations; maintain their credentials, memberships and subscriptions. I applied for unrestricted grants for conferences, as well as assisted in the coordination of departmental conferences and events. The hardest part of the job I would say was dealing with the personalities of the physicians and trying my utmost to stay professional in all situations. I felt necessary and needed by the physicians, the technicians and the patients and that kept my job enjoyable because I was needed.
typical university pilot program position
Engineering Consultant (Former Employee), Iowa City, IAFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: great work environment
Cons: funding ran out
the program and position was being developed during my tenor. there was great care and focus on the relationships and departmental dynamics and less on the end product. it was an enjoyable program that had its flaws, but I consider it very successful given its limitation.
Iowa Advantage coordinator and career adviser
IOWA Advantage Coordinator, Career Advisor (Former Employee), Iowa City, IAFebruary 18, 2015
Career adviser at a Big 10 University and coordinator of a voluntary, fee based student program designed to build and market e-portfolios of students' work.
College Job
TEACHING ASSISTANT (Current Employee), Iowa City, IAFebruary 16, 2015
Awesome to be a TA at University of Iowa. Professors are great.
Also, the Computer science dept staff is great.
Helping out students feels satisfying.
A huge machinery with a lot of inertia to be overcome.
Clinical technician I (Current Employee), Iowa City, IAFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: nice camadery among most of us...
Cons: no breaks at all except for one or two minutes from time to time, also the physical environment is either too cold or too hot, also is hard to understand the low level of knowledge of our supervisor and higher management.
Responsible for analysis of Red Alarms and to call nurses and doctors about important details and Rhythm changes on the ECG tracings as well as to answer questions related with the mentioned ECG’s. Activate Rapid Response Units when necessary. Keep all patients on line for constant monitoring and admit or discharge patients when indicated. Keep track of telemeters (Tele Packs) in use as well as maintain and test them before reuse.

I learned to be multitasking and precise in my observations and interpretations, The work load stimulated me to deep more into the Electrophysiology and that way be able to have a more profound and fast understanding of all the events happening in the heart of the patient.

Management, in my environment came as a consequence of multitasking with dynamic priories depending on the relative level of importance of a particular demand and the particular frame of circumstances at this particular moment.

About my co-workers,in general well behaved and perceptive of suggestions that might translate in a better management and therefore better results.

The hardest part of the job is to cope with the loud music which is not of my taste, however I managed with ear plugs that attenuate the music and casual conversations allowing me to listen very clearly all the alarms in my station, At that time would come the best and most enjoyable part of my job by being precise, fast and accurate in converting all and each of the ECG tracings into the most clear and useful description that would help the nurses and doctors to make the proper decisions in benefit of the patients, I really love that part!
Large state run healthcare system
Administrative Director (Current Employee), Iowa City, IAFebruary 4, 2015
Pros: excellent benefits, excellent stability, opportunity to develop professionally
Cons: frustrating bureaucracy and feeling of over-regulation and top-heavy, sometimes out of touch administration
University of Iowa Hospital and Clinics is a world class academic medical center in the midwest, serving the entire state of Iowa and midwest region. It is a place focused on research, teaching, and the clinical practice of medicine. The Department of Orthopaedics & Rehabilitation has allowed me to grow with tremendous autonomy and respect for my contributions, while supporting my professional development. I work in a very challenging and highly remunerative sector of healthcare, and am responsible for all aspects of the Orthopedic Workers' Compensation clinic operations, financial management and budgeting, human resources responsibilities, marketing, physician outreach, and clinical research duties, in addition to leadership teams throughout the Ortho Department as well as UIHC. My typical workday includes such varied activities as operational management in the clinic with regular patient interaction, drafting of complex medical-legal opinions, developing and monitoring budgets and fee schedules, monitoring and analyzing financial performance, regular reporting to senior leadership, managing staff in 2 separate clinic locations 110 miles apart, continuing to work with senior hospital administration on strategic development, marketing, meeting with non-UIHC attorneys, insurers, employers, and physicians. I work in a highly scrutinized and regulated public healthcare system, ultimately responsible to the Board of Regents, state legislature, and people of the State of Iowa. This environment can be careful and slow moving, and can pose challenges that result in a sometimes frustrating – more... bureaucracy. This is, at times, the most challenging part of my job. My staff and co-workers are excellent, hard-working, and reliable people. I am proud to have only lost 1 staff member in over 5 years of operations (and she left us to return to school full-time) and greatly respect the people who work for me. My job is always interesting and each day is different, which I love, and I have had the opportunity to develop a specialty clinic with near complete autonomy, which I have also valued and has taught me a great deal about healthcare management and business development. – less
Great place to work and learn
Facilities management (Former Employee), Boyd Law Building, Dental Science BuildingJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: great benefits (medical)
Cons: management
I worked alot of construction in my 20's and warehouse jobs in my 30's, but the U I is an easy going place to work with great benefits. They dont expect you to "kill yourself" to get a job finished but they will train you how to do it faster and accurately.
Graduate Assistant
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Iowa City, IAJanuary 27, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: draining work
On a typical day I would have classes and lab work. I would carry out experiments or research articles to further my project. My lab staff got along very well. I have been told one of my good qualities is that I am a people person. The hardest part of my job was dealing with the extreme hours needed to perform some of the experiments correctly. But this was balanced by my interest in science and friendship I had with my coworkers, which helped the hours pass by.
Eye opening
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Iowa City, IADecember 15, 2014
Great opportunity as a TA to allow students to get out of their comfort zones. Was a great enjoyment by all.
great company to work for
Certified Medical Assistant II (Former Employee), Iowa City, IADecember 14, 2014
Everyone works as a team and people are always willing to lend a hand.
very fun place to work
Internship in the Biology Department (Former Employee), Iowa City, IADecember 6, 2014
Pros: very respectful people
Cons: no flexible hours
it was very fun to work at this place because everyday i met some new challenges and i always found a way to overcome with my supervisor help. i learned how to work with people from different background, how to be more patient, how to lead people and also how to have fun while working without breaking any rule. all my co-workers were very great, always ready to give a hand if needed, no matter what kind of problem you have, they would always be there for you. The director and the supervisors were really amazing. until today we are still in contact and they are my good friends and parents. the hardest part of this job was to be accepted at the beginning, because i had to work twice harder than everyone to gain their respect. and the most enjoyable part was when a student i helped improved his/her grade and passed the class i was tutoring
A good place to work
Student Receptionist (Current Employee), Iowa City, IANovember 24, 2014
I throughly enjoyed working here. It was a very great place to understand more about myself and the people that I worked with. The work was rewarding and the people i worked with helped me learn a lot about myself and what i wanted to do in my future. The environment was welcoming and I always knew that I was going to have a good day at work.
Great job experiance
Nursing Assistant (Current Employee), Iowa City, IANovember 21, 2014
Pros: benefits
I enjoyed working at the University of Hospital because i got to meet a ton of great staff members. After my injury as a nursing assistant the staff would always ask how I'm feeling and doing with recovery.
The greatest part of my job was getting to meet great families of the patients. The families really did appreciate what we did for the patients while they were in SNICU. I enjoyed my days working there.
Research, Teaching, and Service
Associate Professor (Former Employee), Iowa City, IowaNovember 19, 2014
My experience was a pleasant one. In addition to conducting research and teaching, I organized and implemented two academic conferences.
A very good place to be employed
Medical Assistant II (Current Employee), Iowa City, IANovember 10, 2014
Pros: benefits
I love everything about working here. Workign for this coming has helped me succeed as a medical assistant. I have learned everything I need and more to help me further into my career.
Great place to work with purpose
Application Developer (Former Employee), Iowa City, IAOctober 31, 2014
I loved working for the University. Very smart people and doing the most important work you can do.

1 2 3 4 5