The University of Iowa Pay & Benefits reviews

Sleep Lab
Neurological Technician (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IANovember 15, 2017
UI is a great school to work for. I worked in the sleep lab for about 6 months before moving to a different state. Benefits and pay are great, hours are good. Patients can be a little difficult, but that's what you get in a university healthcare position!
Great coworkers and benefits but low pay for the work
Psychiatric Nursing Assistant I (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IANovember 12, 2017
The University hires great people and provides awesome benefits especially to single individuals. If you manage to get a professional and scientific or higher level job I imagine job satisfaction would be pretty high for you. If you work merit or hourly the pay does not match up with the time spent and amount of work you are doing.
Pros
Coworkers, Benefits, Discounts
Cons
Short breaks, long hours, stressful working conditions, low pay
Outstanding benefits
Clerk III (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IANovember 9, 2017
I primarily work in the triage call center answering phones and typing phone messages for nursing. I have learned a great deal about the OB/GYN specialty. Management has been great. The workplace culture has been a bit of an adjustment as there are a few people who have been here for many, many years and seem to be a bit overwhelmed with their job. The hardest part of my job is riding a bus to and from work as there is no employee parking at or near the university. The most enjoyable part of my job is the new friends I have made since my recent relocation to Iowa from Wisconsin.
Benefits
Cons
Parking
We need to work hard as both RA and TA in a very quick-paced situation while we have to study our courses in a competitive as well.
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IANovember 9, 2017
Although the time we spend for work is too much more than the compensations, I like the competitive and dynamic environment and the perfect opportunities to communicate with knowledgeable professors and graduate students and learn from them.
Great job to work at
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IANovember 4, 2017
Difficult but rewarding place to work. Very fast paced and diverse. Probably one of the best places in the area to work at. Benefits are amazing and the pay is very competitive.
Pros
Discounts and benefits
Cons
Parking
stuck in old ways
Secretary III (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IAOctober 27, 2017
they turn a blind eye to problems that new staff show them and they are stubborn and unwilling to change or listen to new ideas. Old staff is very clicky and judgmental which does not make the company or working here seem very attractive.
Pros
good retirement benefits
Cons
minimal advancement poor management
liked coworkers, job duties were ok but stressful at times. No chance to advance as a PAR, had to become professional in order to advance.
Patient Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAOctober 17, 2017
long hours, not able to change hours easily, no seniority, favoritism. I did get along with co workers for the most part, Too many mangers who gave different advice and instructions. Hardest part was pleasing the managers,
benefits
Cons
too many managers
it was a good place to work
Custodian I (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IAOctober 16, 2017
typical day started at 7 am worked with people all day can cleaned all day management was pretty good most of the time work culture was changing when I left working with people and seeing people get better
Pros
good benefits
Overall great place to work.
LAB ASSISTANT II (Former Employee) –  Iowa City. IowaOctober 11, 2017
The University is a great place to work. Some of the shifts can be a bit trying but the pay and benefits do tend to soften the blow. Parking is rotten and if you work game days it is even worse.
Horrible Hours
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAOctober 9, 2017
I had a horrible time trying to balance the rotating day/night shifts. They do not seem to changing that on any of the inpatient units any time soon. This is hard for working mothers.
Pros
Great benefits, and pay
Cons
Day/night rotating 12hr shifts
No career advancement
Clerk 3 (Current Employee) –  Coralville, IAOctober 6, 2017
Good place to work, but no career advancement. They have people in mind before even posting the job, not giving applicants a chance to interview. Good benefits though.
Excellent Benefits - Great People
Healthcare Services Manager/Asst. Dept. Director (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IASeptember 18, 2017
The Benefits at UIHC are excellent. Salary is good, but don't overlook all the other benefits: Health Insurance, 401K, Time-off.

There are a lot of great people at UIHC. Make sure you find the right team to work with.
Pros
Excellent Benefits, Great People
Cons
It's a very large organization with associated bureaucracy.
Caring, Engaged University
Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IASeptember 17, 2017
The University of Iowa has an engaged workforce that cares about the service it provides to the students who choose to earn a degree at the university as well as to the state of Iowa.
Pros
Excellent benefits.
Fun and Relaxing work place
Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IAAugust 30, 2017
I loved this place for such job, it was flexible, caring, and outgoing work atmosphere. I love it there. The people were nice and everyone made you feel right at home when you didn't know what was going on. They were eager to teach you what you needed to know. Low turnover rate :)
Pros
Great People
Cons
Pay per hour was not good
Med/Surg
Registered Nurse-Digestive Disease Procedure Unit (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAAugust 28, 2017
Great place to work as far as benefits go. Learned a lot as a RN in teaching hospital environment fresh out of nursing school. Spent over a decade on med/surg and is my passion
benefits
Cons
no union as off 7/2017
Fun workplace
Dining Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAAugust 2, 2017
The University is strict when it comes to being on time and not missing shifts but besides that it was a relaxed environment. I learned how to balance school and work and that was important for me. The hardest part was waking up for early shifts.
Pros
Professional and some free lunches
Cons
Early hours and low pay
Great place to work, but not a lot of advancement opportunities
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IAAugust 2, 2017
This has been a fantastic place for me to work. I've grown as a person and been treated well. The only drawback for me is that, in my position, I currently have no room to grow.
Pros
16hrs paid vacation and 12 hrs paid sick leave each month, amazing health, life insurance, and retirement benefits
Cons
No room for growth in my position, salary isn't super competetive but benefits make up for it
Excellent place to work
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IAJuly 21, 2017
Benefits are amazing, pay is average or above average depending on position. Management and co workers are always there for you and easy to work with. Every day on the job was different. Lots of overtime available.
Pros
Benefits, pay, overtime, union
Teaching hospital
Assistant Nurse Manager-Pediatric Specialty Clinic (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAJuly 17, 2017
Very busy teaching hospital. Nurses have a variety of shifts and areas to chose from. Pay is normal, benefits are good. Parking is a nightmare. Most parking requires being bused to campus and paying a monthly fee.
Pros
Great experience .
Cons
Parking
good place to work
Surgical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IAJuly 15, 2017
I enjoyed my stay as an employee at the University of Iowa Hospital.
Its a nice friendly place to work. You receive 1 paycheck per month how ever and so you must budget very carefully.
Pros
friendly people
Cons
low pay