The University of Iowa Employee Reviews

Great Place
Inventory Manager (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAMay 15, 2016
The UIHC is a an amazing place to work at. The people are really nice and make things a lot easier for you. It was a very nice experience working there and i was very sad i had to leave that place
Nursing Assistant Certified (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IAMay 12, 2016
I work at a great hospital where everyone seems to care genuinely about the patients. The nursing team works together to make things go efficiently.
Productive workplace
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAMay 10, 2016
Hard working colleagues with a very quiet workspace. Credit given when deserved, Helpful supervisors, Hardest part to get used to is the winter.
excellent benifits
Animal caretaker (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IAMay 8, 2016
Very good training and benefits. A diverse workplace, management could be greatly improved. The mgt is the hardest part of the job.
Pros
Excellent benifits employee programs
Cons
poor mgt employees are underappreciated
RN BSN I (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IAApril 18, 2016
Love working on my floor, meeting new patients everyday willing and working to get better! This hospital takes care of their staff and is very good at helping employees to succeeed
Information Security for University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
Programmer/Analyst (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAApril 10, 2016
Working with the main IT supporting the academic side of UofI, I could see that the hospital is definitely not supportive of information security. With only three technical headcounts, the manager's position has high turnover. The general attitude is that information security is not my problem. The doctors are the worst of all. They tend to be egotistical and know-it-all. "How could someone without an MD after their name have a valid opinion?"

They haven't connected the security and privacy dots yet. They think that technical qualifications are the only thing the security head needs. Hospital IT folks tend to bailout and go over to the academic side of IT where there is more funding and more collegiality in attitude.
Pros
Great benefits and retirement
Cons
Behind in salary rates. No security and systems are NOT user friendly.
My first job and I loved it.
Registered Nurse: Adult Bone Marrow Transplant (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAApril 6, 2016
I had a wonderful head nurse and assistant head nurse at the time. Workers worked together and helped each other out, was as close as a family without being a family can be. Very educational job and great benefits. LOVED THIS JOB!
Pros
co workers
Cons
hours
Good
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IAApril 5, 2016
Lots of people to meet. Lots of opportunity. Great education. Great facilities. Lots of learning and discovery going on.
Kind coworkers and flexible hours
Medical Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IAApril 1, 2016
Working as a technician at the University of Iowa Med labs has been a very rewarding experience. The tasks I performed were somewhat repetitive, but my supervisors were happy to tell me about how the samples are collected and how my work facilitated research while they explained the lab procedures to me. The lab I work at is in pediatric research and is trying to determine genetic sequences that may lead to pre-mature births. I am very proud of my contributions to this research. I enjoy working with so many people who really care about the differences they're making in the lives of others and I enjoy being one of those people myself.
A work place where the University takes care of you
Application Programmer/Analyst (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAMarch 25, 2016
I very much enjoyed working at the University of Iowa because I felt like what I was doing mattered. I would strongly recommend anybody to work there if they have the chance.
safe working area
Research Specialist (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IAMarch 16, 2016
Safe environment. Always get fast alerts from University.
Clean and beautiful environment.
Nice polite co-workers. Enjoy working with my co-workers.
Fast responses from administration department. It is very easy to finish all the work related paperwork.
Busy, but excellent work for students!
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAMarch 15, 2016
Everyday was different. Some days were busy and productive, others were slower and I found myself cleaning to keep busy. I learned how to speak to students, professors, and co-workers in a professional and empathetic way. The hardest part of the job was the busy days when you had so much to do in so little time! They offer flexible hours, which is great for students.
Pros
Paid to do homework
Cons
Stressful at times
The UI is an environment that is not keeping up with the times.
Supply Chain Assistant (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAMarch 10, 2016
There is very little employee turn over at the UI. This is a downfall when it comes to keeping up with changing market conditions.
Large Organization with a family-owned atmosphere
Event Manager (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IAMarch 1, 2016
Our team of 5 Supervisors manage 65+ student staff and 10+ private events per week. Fun and highly energetic atmosphere, highly dynamic training programs for new students and strict reporting terms for Supervisors.
Pros
Health Benefits, Daily Meals
Cons
High turn over, Non-flexible schedule
Haotic and disorganized
Research Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IAFebruary 13, 2016
I was engaged in various studies of voltage-dependent calcium channels, I trained graduate and postgraduate students. Upgraded software and equipment in the electrophysiology lab.
Pros
Cons
umplesant and unfriendly work environment
Great co-workers and atmosphere
Secretary III - College of Law - Dean's Suite (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IAFebruary 3, 2016
It is a great place to work, but the upgrade or advancement opportunities within the department are very limited. Management is poor. There is a definite difference between the treatment of faculty and staff.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
Have to pay for parking
Too little work to do
Clinical Laboratory Scientist (Former Employee) –  Iowa city, IowaJanuary 24, 2016
Overstaffed. I twice tried to advance my position to a supervisory one and was told that "there were too many women in supervisory positions and that it had to be a man, despite my experience and qualifications".
Pros
TIAA/CREF
Cons
Environment favored advancement of men, not women.
good environment
TRio Summer Instructor (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAJanuary 21, 2016
I worked at the TRio program at the University of Iowa during the summer program. It was a very good work and respectful work environment
Tough Job
certified nursing assistant (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAJanuary 18, 2016
Caring for elderly residents in a SNF. Providing assistance in the ADL for the residents. Learned to use assistive devices to improve mobility.
Pros
Assisting those who where unable to care for themselves
Cons
Rigorous work with high physical requirement.
Good place to land
Data Technician (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAJanuary 17, 2016
I appreciated the University of Iowa, but there were at times people who needed to have an attitude check, and management would avoid handling it.

4.3