The University of Iowa

The University of Iowa Employer Reviews

great polace to work
Janitor Custodian (Former Employee), Iowa City, IAJuly 9, 2014
Every day was fun and full of life. I learned how to be more detail when working in a hospital.I had the best co-workers and supervisors any person could ask for they made my job easy and made it a hnor to com to work every day.
Busy and fun enviorment
Athletic Academic Administrators assistant (Former Employee), Iowa City, IAJune 30, 2014
Pros: food being supplied
Cons: working extremly late nights
Students were great. I learned how to operate with people especially on my team building skills. Allowed me to understand the purpose of organization on a daily planner. Co-workers were all older then me so I learned from them a lot but most were pretty stubborn and stuck in their ways. Hardest part was trying to influence others. I really enjoyed working – more... with the different students and organizations that we partnered with. – less
U of Iowa
Lecturer (Current Employee), Iowa City, IAJune 5, 2014
Pros: ease of commute, friendly environment, love the students
Cons: busy all the time, no back up to go to in-services, faculty meetings
Teach labs 8 times a week. Set up for other labs. Very busy and work from 0800-1800.
I work with wonderful people, and there is continuity of teaching philosophies. I teach 8 labs of the same material, and another teacher leads the other 8 labs of same material.
As junior faculty, hard to get away from classes for conventions, and other in-services – more... due to teaching responsibilities.
Also teach CPR for staff, students, and hospital staff. – less
Was fun to get to work with the kiddos all day
Medical Assistant (Former Employee), Iowa City, IAMay 28, 2014
Pros: working with the kids, andbeing able to use my cma in real lif experiences
Cons: did not feel like we were there to help the kids as that was for the counselors.
I was doing vitals every month, sent out orders for Dr.'s, made sure TB tests were done, gave injections, did assessments on new kiddos coming in.
Excellent health care environment
Phlebotomist (Former Employee), Iowa City, IAMay 25, 2014
The hospital has many different units, each presenting different opportunities to learn more about health care.
Productive and relaxed work environment
Laboratory Assistant (Current Employee), Iowa City, IAMay 20, 2014
A typical day of mine includes performing necessary preparatory work in order to perform important scientific projects. I learned important molecular biological techniques to perform scientific research, communication skills to be able to successfully present my findings, time management skills to maximize productivity, and skills to make me a better – more... team worker. My co-workers were relaxed yet productive, leading to a comfortable work atmosphere with high productivity. I thoroughly enjoyed being able to view my progression during projects; seeing how each step contributed to the success of the project's entirety. Parts of the job that were less enjoyable were when weeks of hard work gave irrelevant or bad results. With more experience, I've learned that this is a crucial part of science that allows one to learn from her mistakes and become a better scientist. – less
Great workplace & co-workers
Clerk III (Former Employee), Coralville, IAMay 16, 2014
I enjoyed interacting with patients on a daily basis and helping them with whatever they would need. At the UIHC-Iowa River Landing it was very stressed upon to finish up with asking "is there anything else I can help you with today?" and making the patient feel welcomed. As a patient I experienced the warm feeling walking into the Iowa River Landing – more... and as staff I enjoyed making the patients feel very comfortable about coming and leaving the doctors office. The doctors office is not always an exciting place to be and to be part in helping someone happier is a great feeling. I have learned so much about scheduling and I am very eager to continue to learn more! – less
Wonderful hospital, amazing benefits, awesome co-workers, managers, great teaching hospital, nice to work with residents.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee), Iowa City, IAMay 9, 2014
Pros: colleagues, benefits, nurse to patio ratio, autonomy, teaching hosptial
University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics is a great hospital and a leading teaching hospital in the United States. We have great benefits and great opportunities. Our nurses have autonomy are able to make clinical decisions. I have loved working here for 13 plus years total.
Full time student
Full-time Student (Current Employee), Iowa City, IAMay 9, 2014
Pros: excellent training
Cons: long hours
Typically spend 8 hours and day at the University doing classes and another 4 after doing homework and studies plus additional time on the weekend.
great place
Pediatric Unit Clerk (Current Employee), Iowa City, IAMay 4, 2014
Great place to work with great people, have always enjoyed working here.
good bennys.
AREA MECHANIC (Former Employee), iowa city IAApril 29, 2014
Pros: benafits
Cons: magement
management is clueless......clueless of inner disfunction of employes.
A good place to work.
Postdoctoral Scholar (Former Employee), Iowa City, IAApril 16, 2014
Research. Interesting and challenging.
Learned how to do research.
Productive and highly research oriented workplace with a friendly environment
Postdoctoral Researcher (Current Employee), Iowa City, IAApril 15, 2014
A typical day is from 8.00 a.m.-5.00 p.m. The days differs as I do not do routine work. Usually I have a weekly plan and targets to achieve by the end of the week which are of course very much self set. These are mostly related to achieving specific project objectives. On some of the days I work training undergraduate and graduate students. On others – more... I focus on my own research. The group of people I work with varies from race, country ethnicity. So it's a divers group of people. The most difficult thing about the job is maintaining the positive attitude even when multiple projects starts giving issues and the most enjoyable part is the excitement of overcoming these issues at the end of the day. – less
Awesome Job During College
Telefund Program Assistant (Former Employee), Iowa City, IAApril 14, 2014
Great fun job opporutnity to get some real management experience during school. Pay was really good for a part time job and you get to work with all college students. Good job to balance with school.
Enjoyable place to work
Operating Room Staff Nurse (Current Employee), Iowa City, IAApril 12, 2014
Nurse residency program is very beneficial for new nurses just starting out of school. It gives you an opportunity to meet other new nurses who are going through the same thing that you are going through.
My co-workers
Cameraman, Hawkeye Network (Current Employee), Iowa City, IAApril 1, 2014
Pros: great working evironment
They are really nice and hard-working. I have a great team to work together.
Good place to discuss and learn advance knowledge
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Iowa City, IAMarch 30, 2014
I was so glad to join in the research group to learn the advanced knowledge, especially advanced physics.
This was my extrenship for school
Medical Assisting Extern (Former Employee), Iowa City, IAMarch 15, 2014
Pros: having patient interaction
Cons: the drive from cedar rapids to iowa city
My typical day in my externship was when I got there I would find out what providers I was working for that day and what rooms they were going to be in. I would get their patients folders ready and in time in which there were to arrive. As soon as the first patient checked in I would get them take their vitals, do any blood work that was needing to – more... be done, take them back to the room and go over medications.

The hardest part about the job was trying to get the hang of how the did things I was not allowed to do everything a regular employee was allowed to do.

I loved the clinic I was in they were really good at helping me understand how a clinic should run. – less
Scientifically challenging and rewarding
Research Specialist (Former Employee), Iowa City, IAMarch 2, 2014
Team oriented environment. Great support from the laboratory management. Busy, challenging laboratory life, rapidly changing directions. Collaborative atmosphere.
Research Assistant
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Iowa City, IAFebruary 10, 2014
Being a research assistant at the University of Iowa was enjoyable.

The University of Iowa Photos