The University of Iowa Employee Reviews

is not a bad place to work
House Keeping (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAJune 6, 2017
is a good place to work good benefit good people but supervisor can be better and the hours job not very flexible the supervisor was rude and uncompromising
Facility Attendant (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAJune 5, 2017
On a typical day I would come to work and basically sit down and watch T Vat the CRWC which is the exercise facility for the campus, patrol the hallways picking up discarded trash and or clothing articles, wash and dry laundry and then fold it.
Pros
Could watch TV at work
Cons
Was a boring place to work
Amazing program for student teaching
Student Teaching (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAMay 31, 2017
A great opportunity for teachers. The education program at the University of Iowa is wonderful. They pair you with great schools and the education obtained is invaluable.
Decent Micro Job
Medical Laboratory Scientist (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IAMay 30, 2017
Most micro shifts are day shift, some evening, one rotating overnight. Management in the micro lab is pretty awful. Some of the coworkers are hard to get along with. But overall an easy job with great benefits.
Pros
free health insurance
Cons
micro-management
Fine Place to live and work
Film and Video Instructor of Record (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAMay 30, 2017
I was just teaching a class as a TA while getting my MFA. Grad student salaries are notoriously small everywhere, but I loved the department and students.
A Day in the Life at UIHC
Cardiothoracic Surgery Physician Assistant Fellow (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IAMay 26, 2017
I am about to finish a fellowship at UIHC. I cannot say how great of an experience and honor it has been to work as part of this team at UIHC. It was refreshing to find a job I was actually happy in and looked forward to each day. The employees are all extremely friendly and welcoming. In a young, dynamic hospital, it's all about team work when it comes to patient care. There is always a learning experience and we strive to do better each day. The benefits are amazing and the hospital takes wonderful care of both its patients and its employees. I will greatly miss this institution and its people when I complete my fellowship at the end of next month, but I will take with me the good memories and learning experiences it provided.
Good
Medical Imaging Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Iowa CityMay 22, 2017
Really enjoyed the size of the hospital and the growth available. The staff and faculty are very knowledgeable and take great pride in being one of the nation's top research hospitals.
fast paced, competitive
Assistant Coach (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAMay 19, 2017
The University of Iowa is a good place to work. Iowa city is a great place to live. The university provides diversity for a small community and a great learning environment.
lack of support
Administrative Services Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IAMay 15, 2017
Upper management doesn't support the workers very well. They expect the best but don't always give it themselves. I find it hard to believe they are a patient first organization
Unfortunately, terrible management outweighs everything.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAMay 13, 2017
This was the worst workplace in which I have worked to date, and I've worked at several academic medical centers. While there are extremely intelligent and efficient faculty and staff, there is a lot of dead weight as well, and anything or anyone that threatens the status quo is worked out of the system.

This place pays lip service to great patient care but does nothing to see that through to fruition; in fact, people who try to optimize or change systems for the better for patients, staff, and faculty are ostracized and alienated. Dysfunction wins the day here every time.
Pros
Some incredibly dedicated faculty and staff.
Cons
Poor management at every level of the institution.
Not Horrible
Supply Chain Associate (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IAMay 12, 2017
Not a horrible place to work but i see a lot of wasteful spending and to get ahead it is all about who you know. Management seems to be just going through the motions and not all but alot really don't seem to care.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Boys Club/who you know
Great Hospital
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAMay 10, 2017
Trauma and surgery with post surgical care.

Too much to list.

Fantastic management.

Strong supportive work place culture.

Death and family.

The feeling of humility that you feel at a miracle moment.
Pros
Help through knowledge.
Cons
Death
good benefits, low wages, bad management
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAMay 9, 2017
UIHC has the typical problems of a large organization where management cannot be bothered to learn about the contributions of support staff. They love to refer to nursing assistants as the "backbone" of units, but that idea is wildly incommensurate with NAs' status and wages.
Pros
union representation
Cons
poor management, clique culture
I was a graduate student
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAMay 6, 2017
It really depends a lot on your department, and the professors you are working with. Most of them are really great. Iowa City is awesome. On the other hand, don't expect to get paid much.
Learned unanticipated things
Infection Preventionist (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAMay 3, 2017
Working for UIHC has the potential of being good.
The benefits are excellent and some departments are outstanding in their quality and care for patients.

Management tends to be unstable (lots of turn-over) and does not provide much continuity for ongoing quality projects.

Workplace culture in my department was difficult; I was under constant scrutiny and my loyalties were under question. My abilities were not recognized or appreciated and I found it hard to figure out what was expected of me since I was performing my job well - it wasn't about doing my job, but about perceptions about me.

I enjoyed working with my units and with individual requests - I do well with data and trying to figure out how to best address a unit problem. I worked with a number of outstanding leaders and caring individuals outside of my department and felt that I contributed in a positive way to their outcomes. I also worked with some very excellent infection preventionists who helped me to become a better IP and wish that I could have worked longer with them.
Pros
good benefits - healthcare and retirement
Cons
unstable management
More to explore
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IAMay 2, 2017
As a graduate student here, I can find a balance between my personal life and study/work. It's still competitive and stressful in some sense since the cohort are really excellent and hard-working. Look forward to learning from my peers here.
I like ui
Research Investigator (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAMay 1, 2017
University of iowa is a great university. Iowa city is mini but the university is big. Its management and culture are wonderful. Working place is very good.
Better tritments whit forents emplogys.
Hospital Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IAApril 28, 2017
The Univ. give you the opportunity of work with a different people and environment. You can look for different jobs that you feel that will help you and the University to keep there image.
Good culture and compassionate work environment
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAApril 28, 2017
Worked nights and cared for terminally ill oncology patients. The downside was working nights and dealing with patient "output". However, seeing people and their families dealing with such traumatic sad experiences the overall experience was great and helped me be a more compassionate caring person.
Great place to work as student
Student Clerk (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAApril 25, 2017
I worked here for almost two years and never had any problems with scheduling or my coworkers. Most days the job would be very hectic and crazy with close to 100 cases but the job was still enjoyable.