The University of Kansas Health System

The University of Kansas Health System Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
The University of Kansas Indian Creek Campus is a great place to work.
Registered Nurse in Pre/Post Op, GI lab (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSSeptember 6, 2017
The University of Kansas Hospital at Indian Creek campus is a small hospital that provides a superior level of care to patients. The staff is warm and friendly. There's a family atmosphere that makes everyone work well as a team.
its an okay place to work
Patient Registration Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 4, 2017
its an okay place to work

great benefits, okay pay

overworked-they are always understaffed

little room for advancement if you are on the administrative side
Pros
great benefits, okay pay
Cons
overworked-they are always understaffed
Favoritism is a factor
Switchboard Operator (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSAugust 25, 2017
The hospital itself is a good place to work, however my department was another story. There is a culture of gossip and favoritism and the people who should be corrected are not because of tenure. There is the perception of teamwork but there is no help for the newer agents to get up to speed. Once the management gains a perception, you are targeted regardless of your work performance. No record is kept of your achievements only your mistakes. No value in work life balance (unless you are tenured). It's a shame because the health system is great and they do great things. This department is not a good reflection of their values.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Favoritism, poor training, false team environment
Wonderful place to work
Medical Team Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSAugust 25, 2017
I enjoy working at The University Of Kansas Hospital, I love my manager and the department that I work in and the hospital as a whole. I have not, and do not, plan on having any bad experiences at KU.
Good on paper
RN (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSAugust 12, 2017
KU is the place to work in KC. It is the top rated hospital so having it on your resume will definitely open doors. Working on the units there is the epitome of the gossipy nurses station. People definitely have cliques and talk about each other behind their backs. Not a very supportive work environment.
Very Reputible Hospital
Patient Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSAugust 9, 2017
Excellent company to work for. The outpatient facilities were all located in one building and easy to get to . The pay was very good and the hours were amazing. Usually with outpatient facilities you only work no later than 6pm. that is very helpful when raising a family.
Pros
hours
Cons
lunch usually 30 minutes
Great place to work ... limited opportunities for advancement
Director (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSAugust 8, 2017
The University of Kansas Health System is a great place to work. They truly care about every patient and always put them first. The culture is great ... people caring. It's such a nice place to work ... turnover is low and there is little room to advance. People are team oriented ... kind. The work load can be heavy ... be prepared to hit the ground running and wear comfortable shoes ... it's a big campus and growing very fast.
productive
Patient Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 3, 2017
Coworkers are easy to work with and and management is great! Would recommend KU to anyone. Teamwork is easy to find and communication is as well. I would recommend work for KU to anyone.
Not worth it
Grunt (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSAugust 1, 2017
They make it sound good, reality is another thing. Old, outdated computer technology makes work take longer than it should. Promises to upgrade never turn to fruition. Assembly line feel, without everyone pulling their own weight.

A typical day is go non-stop for eight hours. It begins to grind you down, quickly. There are too many 'protected' employees. The culture is not beneficial to a productive, happy workforce.
Pros
Umm
Cons
Understaffed, unorganized
Fabulous
Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJuly 25, 2017
This was a great place to work while in college. I figured out that I did not really want to be in the field. It was very busy at some point and then slow. It was a great work life balance because you leave work when you clock out. You do not take that home with you. Hardest part was dealing with patients or family members who were hysterical
Nursing (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJuly 23, 2017
Great place to work, good benefits, good life balance, parking is a little chaotic if you work days, compensation is very competitive with other hospitals around the area.
Exciting and Supportive place to work
KS. Full Time. Unit Coordinator (Charge Nurse) (Current Employee) –  Westwood, KSJuly 15, 2017
I worked at a face paced clinic. It was busy and hard work, but the people I worked with made it fun. We all helped each other out whenever we needed it. The leadership team was extremely supportive, which was helpful as well.
Good Place
Medical Assistant / PRR (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KS.July 11, 2017
Good place to work. The administration is always working with the staff to make sure everyone is happy and patients are taken care of appropriately. Best place.
Great experience to learn better
Nutrition Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJuly 5, 2017
i had a very interesting time working at ku. what it taught me is to strive for better than what i was currently doing, the supervisor team weren't cooperative and not understanding. The co-workers we are were like a big family, even still til this day i appreciate the experience i had with the department and co-workers.
Very rewarding career as I am able to assist patients with various needs involving their health and well being.
Outpatient Registration Representative (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJuly 2, 2017
Very humbling experience on daily basis. You never know what a person is dealing with in their personal life an professional life and how their health impacts those things.

Being exposed directly to patients that are experiencing hard times due to their health, I have learned to be very grateful for life and great health. For that, I have learned to have much more compassion and empathy for all.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
The point system
An ever-advancing place to work
Radiologic Technologist (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJune 27, 2017
The hospital is always advancing, whether it's equipment, updates to appearance, or adding new facilities. It's been an honor to be part of such a great hospital. The best part of the job is the opportunity to be part of somebody's life experience, hopefully their road to recovery, and also to give each patient my best and highest quality care. The hardest part of the job is to find a parking space during the middle of the day. The management staff has the hospital's vision and mission at the front of all decisions, while keeping due respect to it's employees. I've learned countless work and life skills while working here.
Pros
excellent benefits, very few things are outdated
Cons
parking availability, but that should change very soon
Very productive and patient oriented team that I work with. Must multi task and perform various job duties at all time, enjoy patient care.
LPN FULL-TIME (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJune 26, 2017
A typical day could involve a multitude of job functions that may hit you as soon as you walk in the door or at the end of the day. It can be fast paced and can get stressful at times. Helping the patients and other team members diffuses the stress and makes work enjoyable and worth it. Management is supportive and jumps in to help as do other members of the team. There is a constant influx of new information and things to learn, but if it assists in any way to take better care of patients then it is well worth it, and I believe it is always a plus to have all the skills you can in the ever changing world of healthcare.
Position
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJune 22, 2017
I think the system could be better if they allow employees to advance and move forward to better jobs positions. Also giving better rasies who play a big role for employees.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
give better raises.
Good experience
Administration (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJune 19, 2017
I learned a lot from my experience at KU Hospital. Great clinical care but the culture is not that good. It takes a long time for changes to happen. Good benefits, pay is ok.
In general very good hospital
Patient Registration Representative (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJune 18, 2017
I work in the Medical Office Building, it is very fast paced. Working as a Patient Registration Rep, I check patients in and out of their scheduled appointments with their primary care providers. Getting to help the patients is extremely satisfying, however, there is a lot of turnover in this department due to management and workloads. There is not enough room and people are piled on top of each other, yet they continue to add more patients. Parking at this hospital is horrible for patients and employees. A growing company is excellent, but you have to plan for the growth in all areas.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The University of Kansas Health System. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2