The University of Kansas Health System

The University of Kansas Health System Employee Reviews

changing work environment
ADMINISTRATIVE MEDICAL ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSOctober 16, 2017
I loved my job more than words when I started at KU Med 7.5 years ago. Since then, my job and responsibilities changed so much that I do not enjoy my job anymore.
benefits
Cons
inconsistency
over all good
PSE Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSOctober 11, 2017
I have to be at work at 4:00 a.m. in the morning I come in scan parcels, throw parcels, I sort mail, put away empty equipment such as trays, tubs, and hampers spread presort mail such as magazine. The hardest part of my job is if some one call in sick or for FMLA it's double the work
Pros
I liked what I do
Cons
Hours I don't like
Chaotic
Service Desk Technician (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSOctober 10, 2017
How things work for you there are wholly dependant upon who you report to and their skills navigating the chaos and stress you face daily.

Free thinking and self-reliance are both revered and discouraged. Hence the "chaos". Hand smacked for sitting idle or for proceeding.
Great
HR Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSOctober 5, 2017
KU is a wonderful place to work and I just enjoyed working here. The people the positions and the various activities! Working here was a pleasure and a place where you have continuous learning.
Pros
Hours, people, environment, benefits
Cons
Pay
I love this organization
PHYSICIAN CODER (Current Employee) –  KansasSeptember 22, 2017
Im fortunate enough to work in a laid back environment. Some typical work stressors, otherwise, perfect! I was able to move up rather quickly here. The management team promoted my growth as well.
The University of Kansas Indian Creek Campus is a great place to work.
Registered Nurse in Pre/Post Op, GI lab (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSSeptember 6, 2017
The University of Kansas Hospital at Indian Creek campus is a small hospital that provides a superior level of care to patients. The staff is warm and friendly. There's a family atmosphere that makes everyone work well as a team.
its an okay place to work
Patient Registration Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 4, 2017
its an okay place to work

great benefits, okay pay

overworked-they are always understaffed

little room for advancement if you are on the administrative side
Pros
great benefits, okay pay
Cons
overworked-they are always understaffed
Favoritism is a factor
Switchboard Operator (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSAugust 25, 2017
The hospital itself is a good place to work, however my department was another story. There is a culture of gossip and favoritism and the people who should be corrected are not because of tenure. There is the perception of teamwork but there is no help for the newer agents to get up to speed. Once the management gains a perception, you are targeted regardless of your work performance. No record is kept of your achievements only your mistakes. No value in work life balance (unless you are tenured). It's a shame because the health system is great and they do great things. This department is not a good reflection of their values.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Favoritism, poor training, false team environment
Wonderful place to work
Medical Team Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSAugust 25, 2017
I enjoy working at The University Of Kansas Hospital, I love my manager and the department that I work in and the hospital as a whole. I have not, and do not, plan on having any bad experiences at KU.
Good on paper
RN (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSAugust 12, 2017
KU is the place to work in KC. It is the top rated hospital so having it on your resume will definitely open doors. Working on the units there is the epitome of the gossipy nurses station. People definitely have cliques and talk about each other behind their backs. Not a very supportive work environment.
Very Reputible Hospital
Patient Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSAugust 9, 2017
Excellent company to work for. The outpatient facilities were all located in one building and easy to get to . The pay was very good and the hours were amazing. Usually with outpatient facilities you only work no later than 6pm. that is very helpful when raising a family.
Pros
hours
Cons
lunch usually 30 minutes
Great place to work ... limited opportunities for advancement
Director (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSAugust 8, 2017
The University of Kansas Health System is a great place to work. They truly care about every patient and always put them first. The culture is great ... people caring. It's such a nice place to work ... turnover is low and there is little room to advance. People are team oriented ... kind. The work load can be heavy ... be prepared to hit the ground running and wear comfortable shoes ... it's a big campus and growing very fast.
productive
Patient Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 3, 2017
Coworkers are easy to work with and and management is great! Would recommend KU to anyone. Teamwork is easy to find and communication is as well. I would recommend work for KU to anyone.
Not worth it
Grunt (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSAugust 1, 2017
They make it sound good, reality is another thing. Old, outdated computer technology makes work take longer than it should. Promises to upgrade never turn to fruition. Assembly line feel, without everyone pulling their own weight.

A typical day is go non-stop for eight hours. It begins to grind you down, quickly. There are too many 'protected' employees. The culture is not beneficial to a productive, happy workforce.
Pros
Umm
Cons
Understaffed, unorganized
Fabulous
Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJuly 25, 2017
This was a great place to work while in college. I figured out that I did not really want to be in the field. It was very busy at some point and then slow. It was a great work life balance because you leave work when you clock out. You do not take that home with you. Hardest part was dealing with patients or family members who were hysterical
Nursing (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJuly 23, 2017
Great place to work, good benefits, good life balance, parking is a little chaotic if you work days, compensation is very competitive with other hospitals around the area.
Exciting and Supportive place to work
KS. Full Time. Unit Coordinator (Charge Nurse) (Current Employee) –  Westwood, KSJuly 15, 2017
I worked at a face paced clinic. It was busy and hard work, but the people I worked with made it fun. We all helped each other out whenever we needed it. The leadership team was extremely supportive, which was helpful as well.
Good Place
Medical Assistant / PRR (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KS.July 11, 2017
Good place to work. The administration is always working with the staff to make sure everyone is happy and patients are taken care of appropriately. Best place.
Great experience to learn better
Nutrition Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJuly 5, 2017
i had a very interesting time working at ku. what it taught me is to strive for better than what i was currently doing, the supervisor team weren't cooperative and not understanding. The co-workers we are were like a big family, even still til this day i appreciate the experience i had with the department and co-workers.
Very rewarding career as I am able to assist patients with various needs involving their health and well being.
Outpatient Registration Representative (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJuly 2, 2017
Very humbling experience on daily basis. You never know what a person is dealing with in their personal life an professional life and how their health impacts those things.

Being exposed directly to patients that are experiencing hard times due to their health, I have learned to be very grateful for life and great health. For that, I have learned to have much more compassion and empathy for all.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
The point system

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The University of Kansas Health System. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2