The University of Kansas Hospital

The University of Kansas Hospital Employee Reviews

Incompetent Hospital IT
IT (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSDecember 16, 2015
It has taken the hospital more than a year to merge KUPI, and they still do not have all of the work completed for the merger. The date keeps getting pushed back, and we are getting pay cuts along with more expensive benefits, and less PTO.

The parking situation is horrible. Unless you have been her more than 6 or 7 years, you will have to walk 15 minutes from a parking lot that is almost a mile from the office. You can take the shuttle but that usually takes 20 or 30 minutes to get to your office, who has that much time.
Cons
parking, benefits, management that does not appreciate the employees
Great place to work.
Service Desk technician (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSFebruary 5, 2016
Great place to work! Great benefits. Amazing staff and people to be around. A great environment to be in. Ive learned alot at this job. Management is great.
Great company, Dietary needs help.
Nutrition Assistant/Dietary (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJanuary 31, 2016
I love working for the University of Kansas hospital. The work environment in most departments are absolutely fantastic and the people are irreplaceable. I worked my way up to be a full-time Nutrition assistant in the dietary department. I have learned a lot about different diets that are medically necessary and why they are so important to the treatment of patients. It has been a lot of customer service training and it has helped sharpen those skills for me. The hardest part for me has been that even though I am a KU employee, the management is through Aramark. Aramark is a good company, but the management that they have to run this kitchen should have been picked a little bit better. There feels like a lack of control, and with the new application process, it is even more difficult to hire people. With the department being so short staffed, there is mandatory overtime. For me, that is great because that means I have to potential to make double the amount you could in just the full-time position. But when this happens, your 5 days a week, with every other weekend off, turns into a 10 day stretch with one day off before it happens again. This happens for both Food Service Workers and Nutrition Assistants. I absolutely love the company I work for, and I have had nothing but positive experiences in all other aspects of this hospital. Dietary has some room for improvement and is a high stress position.
Pros
Full Benefits, 401k, Room to transfer departments
Cons
High Stress, Mandatory Overtime
Great
Patient Registration Representative (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJanuary 19, 2016
A fantastic place to work with great benefits and good pay. Managers are welcoming and work well together. Learned how to handle patients and other co-workers.
KUMED was very helpful in getting me started with my first Service Desk Tech job
Service Desk Technician (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSAugust 29, 2016
In the experience I learned after school, I feel KUMED really prepares their employees to be the best. They also have all kinds of helping materials to help with someone new to the field as well. After school and all the hands on skills they provided it really prepared me for the real world. I really like the way KUMED was outlined and how they helped their employees, and provided the best customer service to their environment.
Pros
Remedy ticket system for searches, they provided me with good training, and any help i needed of any sort they provided me with it.
Great Experiance working there
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSSeptember 14, 2016
I learned to treat your patients with all care and love. Make sure you always wash your hands so want go home with any infections or sickness. It was a pretty good job the only hard thing was picking up weight because am girl and am kind weak can't pick up so much weight. But other then that it was a great job helped with a lot has good awesome benefits. Management worked together with you and they worked around your schedule. The money that was coming in was beautiful and helped a lot around the house. A day at work was just fine no complaints I enjoyed it a lot.
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSNovember 13, 2015
Working at the University of Kansas Hospital has enabled me to develop good work ethics. My customer service skills have greatly improved.
Pros
Awesome benefits
Cons
Whatever I do at the hospital doesn't relate to what I studied in College
Very rewarding, lots of great people and team players.
Patient Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJanuary 10, 2016
A typical day at work is interacting with patients & co-workers.

Taking care of patients. I provide care to meet the physical, emotional, and spiritual care needs of patients and families dealing with advanced-stage illnesses.

Responsibilities consist of but are not limited to collecting data (i.e. VS, weights, I&O) for initial and ongoing assessment of each patient as delegated by RN and unit protocol, document care on computer per department/unit standards, receives/relays all forms of communication accurately, promptly, courteously, and to the appropriate person, recognize care activities/procedures which need to be shared among disciplines to maximize patient-centered, efficient care, monitor patients and help determine if additional care is needed, assist with activities of daily living such as showers, getting dressed, walking, eating etc., be an advocate for the patients if they expressed a concern to me, relay any messages to the doctors or nurses, sometimes this would just mean listening to the patient talk about their diagnosis, making sure the equipment/supplies necessary to tend to each of the patients are stocked and in an orderly fashion, report maintenance issues to the appropriate area, report any concerns to management, train new staff during their 3 week orientation process. This would include teaching them unit specific information, hospital rules/regulations, monitoring their progress and instruct them if they needed additional information or guidance. Report back to the unit educator any weaknesses that I felt the new hire had to help them succeed
  more... on our unit.

I also worked in the in the OB/GYN office as a patient scheduling representative.

My responsibilities consisted of but were not limited to the following. Inbound/outbound calls, scheduling patient appointments for 15 different physicians, verification of benefits with insurance companies, making calls to outside doctor’s offices to receive additional paperwork/referrals, as well as pre-certification for procedures of upcoming patient appointments, constant contact with the physicians to make sure office staff was on the same page with procedures. I worked with the following systems, Availity, Navinet, IDX and KMAP, as well as work with several different insurance company websites to verify insurance coverage.

Management is very friendly and hands on. They help whenever needed. Very approachable.

Co-workers are also very helpful and approachable. They want everyone to succeed. Everyone's first concern is the patient and their well being.

The hardest part of the job is when a patient passes away that you have gotten to know personally.

The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting great people (the patients) and learning about their lives and families.
Pros
Very rewarding job
Cons
Pay and long hours
great place to learn and work at and an even better place to seek mediacla traetment
Environmental Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSAugust 5, 2016
setting out fresh produce , greeting customers, cashiering. overall a good place to work and seek medical treatment. I would love to work there again. I was a housekeeper and went on to further my education as a nurse.
Patient Accounting Representative I (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSAugust 8, 2015
Good benefits, discount on Royals and Chiefs tickets and the best part of the job is the yearly raises. KU takes good care of their employees and most have been there for years. I don't think I'm going to be leaving anytime soon.
Pros
no hospital bills
Cons
terrible parking
Productive fun work place
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJune 2, 2016
Awesome colleagues and patients. Everyday learned something different. The most enjoyable about my job was helping patients with every way possible i could within my job position. The hardest part of the job was putting emotions aside when dealing with tough patients conditions.
Pros
Fun athmosphere
Cons
nothing
A Positive Work Environment
Patient Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJune 28, 2016
I came to KU Hospital for the potential and opportunity they provide. It is a great place to work with so many friendly faces, the pay is very well and the benefits are also.
Pros
Benefits, Connections, Coworkers, Location.
Cons
Parking.
Friendly and hard working
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJanuary 24, 2016
All day clinic so I room and take care of patients. I take vitals, set up any procedure or any immunizations that patients may need. Fill out paperwork, scan documents, clean and restock rooms.
Management is laid back, very friendly. My coworkers give 100% into helping others, they are hard workers.
Hardest part of the job is giving bad news to the patients, most enjoyable is getting to know them.
Pros
Lunch, People, my job
Cons
Giving bad news
exellent company
Outpatient Registration Rep / Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSMay 31, 2016
This is a great company to work for. They are always willing to work around your schedule. Is it very easy transferring internally to another deparment and the raise that you recieve when you do it absolutely amazing.
Growing organization
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Mission, KSJuly 13, 2016
The IT dept is growing so it is good to get in on the ground floor. They are still trying to standardize their processes since they've grown at a faster rate than expected.
My manager
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJune 26, 2016
My manager is not very fair when it comes to the job, favors one employee more than others. Should possibly be looked into and have some stuff changed. Other then that I love most of my coworkers.
pointless. doesnt work
Transporter (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSSeptember 24, 2016
have never had any job call me back
pointless site
doesn't work at
don't use this cite
SO serious do not use its horrible
smh
Great place
Patient Service Rep/Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJuly 20, 2016
This is a great place to work, great staff and good benefits. The hours are good. Never have to work on the weekends nor holidays
great place
Unit Secretary (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJuly 4, 2016
this is a good place with good benifits not the best pay as compared to some hospitals around. good breaks and great holiday pay.
Case Management Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSMay 16, 2016
I really enjoy working for the University of Kansas Hospital. With the ever expanding campus there are plenty of opportunities for advancement.

4.3