The University of Kansas Hospital

The University of Kansas Hospital Employee Reviews in United States

Case Management Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSMay 16, 2016
I really enjoy working for the University of Kansas Hospital. With the ever expanding campus there are plenty of opportunities for advancement.
Fun environment
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSMay 2, 2016
People are nice to work with.
management is amazing.
co workers are the best.
most enjoyable thing is my patients.
hardest part- none.
benefits
Work Work Work
Family and Youth Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSApril 21, 2016
A lot of work and a lot of patience is needed for this job. 8 hour work days with no lunch break. Ensuring the safety of the clients and others. Constantly modeling and intense therapy.
Patient Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSApril 19, 2016
Caring for cancer patients is a really rewarding job. It can have it's time of sadness, but knowing you have made a difference even if very small gives you a feeling that you can't explain.
You meet Great people working here
Emergent Communications Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSApril 7, 2016
Working at Ku medical center you meet get people and get good contacts to assist in your futrure.
It also feels good to work at a place were you are consistently helping someone.
A good place to work
Biomedical Electronics Technician III (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSMarch 24, 2016
I love the University of Kansas Hospital network. They provide excellent services to the community of Kansas City. Ranked in the top 100 in the country in every measurable category.
busy yet fun place to work
Pharmacy Tech III (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSMarch 19, 2016
Busy place but has many different areas to learn. Co-workers and supervisors are great and willing to work with you. Overall great experience.
Patient care. Performance
MTA (Former Employee) –  Lees Summit, MOMarch 9, 2016
As a MTA you do NOTHING you've learned in school. A CNA can do this job. All you hear all day from employees is bad mouthing patients. It's a shame I was here, honestly.
Pros
Patients
Cons
Employees
Great Hospital
Instructional Designer/Trainer (Former Employee) –  HITS DepartmentFebruary 19, 2016
HITS department isn't very solid and management changes have made it an uncertain workplace. Pace set to fully implement Epic have led to significant problems during release.
Pros
Great Hospital
Cons
HITS management
fast paced environment of critical care
Family and Youlth Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSFebruary 15, 2016
great opportunities to assist adolescents with their treatment goals and objectives, providing a safe environment for learning and personal development.
Great place to work.
Service Desk technician (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSFebruary 5, 2016
Great place to work! Great benefits. Amazing staff and people to be around. A great environment to be in. Ive learned alot at this job. Management is great.
Great company, Dietary needs help.
Nutrition Assistant/Dietary (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJanuary 31, 2016
I love working for the University of Kansas hospital. The work environment in most departments are absolutely fantastic and the people are irreplaceable. I worked my way up to be a full-time Nutrition assistant in the dietary department. I have learned a lot about different diets that are medically necessary and why they are so important to the treatment of patients. It has been a lot of customer service training and it has helped sharpen those skills for me. The hardest part for me has been that even though I am a KU employee, the management is through Aramark. Aramark is a good company, but the management that they have to run this kitchen should have been picked a little bit better. There feels like a lack of control, and with the new application process, it is even more difficult to hire people. With the department being so short staffed, there is mandatory overtime. For me, that is great because that means I have to potential to make double the amount you could in just the full-time position. But when this happens, your 5 days a week, with every other weekend off, turns into a 10 day stretch with one day off before it happens again. This happens for both Food Service Workers and Nutrition Assistants. I absolutely love the company I work for, and I have had nothing but positive experiences in all other aspects of this hospital. Dietary has some room for improvement and is a high stress position.
Pros
Full Benefits, 401k, Room to transfer departments
Cons
High Stress, Mandatory Overtime
Friendly and hard working
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJanuary 24, 2016
All day clinic so I room and take care of patients. I take vitals, set up any procedure or any immunizations that patients may need. Fill out paperwork, scan documents, clean and restock rooms.
Management is laid back, very friendly. My coworkers give 100% into helping others, they are hard workers.
Hardest part of the job is giving bad news to the patients, most enjoyable is getting to know them.
Pros
Lunch, People, my job
Cons
Giving bad news
Great
Patient Registration Representative (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJanuary 19, 2016
A fantastic place to work with great benefits and good pay. Managers are welcoming and work well together. Learned how to handle patients and other co-workers.
Very rewarding, lots of great people and team players.
Patient Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJanuary 10, 2016
A typical day at work is interacting with patients & co-workers.

Taking care of patients. I provide care to meet the physical, emotional, and spiritual care needs of patients and families dealing with advanced-stage illnesses.

Responsibilities consist of but are not limited to collecting data (i.e. VS, weights, I&O) for initial and ongoing assessment of each patient as delegated by RN and unit protocol, document care on computer per department/unit standards, receives/relays all forms of communication accurately, promptly, courteously, and to the appropriate person, recognize care activities/procedures which need to be shared among disciplines to maximize patient-centered, efficient care, monitor patients and help determine if additional care is needed, assist with activities of daily living such as showers, getting dressed, walking, eating etc., be an advocate for the patients if they expressed a concern to me, relay any messages to the doctors or nurses, sometimes this would just mean listening to the patient talk about their diagnosis, making sure the equipment/supplies necessary to tend to each of the patients are stocked and in an orderly fashion, report maintenance issues to the appropriate area, report any concerns to management, train new staff during their 3 week orientation process. This would include teaching them unit specific information, hospital rules/regulations, monitoring their progress and instruct them if they needed additional information or guidance. Report back to the unit educator any weaknesses that I felt the new hire had to help them succeed
  more... on our unit.

I also worked in the in the OB/GYN office as a patient scheduling representative.

My responsibilities consisted of but were not limited to the following. Inbound/outbound calls, scheduling patient appointments for 15 different physicians, verification of benefits with insurance companies, making calls to outside doctor’s offices to receive additional paperwork/referrals, as well as pre-certification for procedures of upcoming patient appointments, constant contact with the physicians to make sure office staff was on the same page with procedures. I worked with the following systems, Availity, Navinet, IDX and KMAP, as well as work with several different insurance company websites to verify insurance coverage.

Management is very friendly and hands on. They help whenever needed. Very approachable.

Co-workers are also very helpful and approachable. They want everyone to succeed. Everyone's first concern is the patient and their well being.

The hardest part of the job is when a patient passes away that you have gotten to know personally.

The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting great people (the patients) and learning about their lives and families.
Pros
Very rewarding job
Cons
Pay and long hours
Incompetent Hospital IT
IT (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSDecember 16, 2015
It has taken the hospital more than a year to merge KUPI, and they still do not have all of the work completed for the merger. The date keeps getting pushed back, and we are getting pay cuts along with more expensive benefits, and less PTO.

The parking situation is horrible. Unless you have been her more than 6 or 7 years, you will have to walk 15 minutes from a parking lot that is almost a mile from the office. You can take the shuttle but that usually takes 20 or 30 minutes to get to your office, who has that much time.
Cons
parking, benefits, management that does not appreciate the employees
Amazing place to work!
NRCMA/MTA (externship) (Current Employee) –  Lees Summit, MODecember 15, 2015
I really learned how to work an amazing flow between making the patient feel appreciated and comfortable and keeping my doctors on track and focused.
Awesome place to work
Senior Value Analysis Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Inpatient PharmacyDecember 14, 2015
KUMED really cares about their employees, and is a wonderful place to work. The most enjoyable part of my job is the interesting analysis I provide. This is also very difficult at times.
horrible
Dispatcher/Transporter (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSDecember 10, 2015
certain departments have no accountability, no teamwork, and no respect for one another. They don't address disrespect at all. The training process is not effective or orthodox!
Transportation Clerk
Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSNovember 19, 2015
Resposabiltys making sure patients in hospital were on correct diets,medicines. Interacted with Doctors and RNS. Made sure patients were correctly admited in hospital
Pros
Monthly and or Hospital parties. Gift certificates for good work performance
Cons
Cut down on hours to less than 20 hours a week

4.3