The University of Kansas Hospital

The University of Kansas Hospital Employee Reviews

Great place to work.
Service Desk technician (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSFebruary 5, 2016
Great place to work! Great benefits. Amazing staff and people to be around. A great environment to be in. Ive learned alot at this job. Management is great.
Great company, Dietary needs help.
Nutrition Assistant/Dietary (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJanuary 31, 2016
I love working for the University of Kansas hospital. The work environment in most departments are absolutely fantastic and the people are irreplaceable. I worked my way up to be a full-time Nutrition assistant in the dietary department. I have learned a lot about different diets that are medically necessary and why they are so important to the treatment of patients. It has been a lot of customer service training and it has helped sharpen those skills for me. The hardest part for me has been that even though I am a KU employee, the management is through Aramark. Aramark is a good company, but the management that they have to run this kitchen should have been picked a little bit better. There feels like a lack of control, and with the new application process, it is even more difficult to hire people. With the department being so short staffed, there is mandatory overtime. For me, that is great because that means I have to potential to make double the amount you could in just the full-time position. But when this happens, your 5 days a week, with every other weekend off, turns into a 10 day stretch with one day off before it happens again. This happens for both Food Service Workers and Nutrition Assistants. I absolutely love the company I work for, and I have had nothing but positive experiences in all other aspects of this hospital. Dietary has some room for improvement and is a high stress position.
Pros
Full Benefits, 401k, Room to transfer departments
Cons
High Stress, Mandatory Overtime
Friendly and hard working
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJanuary 24, 2016
All day clinic so I room and take care of patients. I take vitals, set up any procedure or any immunizations that patients may need. Fill out paperwork, scan documents, clean and restock rooms.
Management is laid back, very friendly. My coworkers give 100% into helping others, they are hard workers.
Hardest part of the job is giving bad news to the patients, most enjoyable is getting to know them.
Pros
Lunch, People, my job
Cons
Giving bad news
Great
Patient Registration Representative (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJanuary 19, 2016
A fantastic place to work with great benefits and good pay. Managers are welcoming and work well together. Learned how to handle patients and other co-workers.
Very rewarding, lots of great people and team players.
Patient Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJanuary 10, 2016
A typical day at work is interacting with patients & co-workers.

Taking care of patients. I provide care to meet the physical, emotional, and spiritual care needs of patients and families dealing with advanced-stage illnesses.

Responsibilities consist of but are not limited to collecting data (i.e. VS, weights, I&O) for initial and ongoing assessment of each patient as delegated by RN and unit protocol, document care on computer per department/unit standards, receives/relays all forms of communication accurately, promptly, courteously, and to the appropriate person, recognize care activities/procedures which need to be shared among disciplines to maximize patient-centered, efficient care, monitor patients and help determine if additional care is needed, assist with activities of daily living such as showers, getting dressed, walking, eating etc., be an advocate for the patients if they expressed a concern to me, relay any messages to the doctors or nurses, sometimes this would just mean listening to the patient talk about their diagnosis, making sure the equipment/supplies necessary to tend to each of the patients are stocked and in an orderly fashion, report maintenance issues to the appropriate area, report any concerns to management, train new staff during their 3 week orientation process. This would include teaching them unit specific information, hospital rules/regulations, monitoring their progress and instruct them if they needed additional information or guidance. Report back to the unit educator any weaknesses that I felt the new hire had to help them succeed
  more... on our unit.

I also worked in the in the OB/GYN office as a patient scheduling representative.

My responsibilities consisted of but were not limited to the following. Inbound/outbound calls, scheduling patient appointments for 15 different physicians, verification of benefits with insurance companies, making calls to outside doctor’s offices to receive additional paperwork/referrals, as well as pre-certification for procedures of upcoming patient appointments, constant contact with the physicians to make sure office staff was on the same page with procedures. I worked with the following systems, Availity, Navinet, IDX and KMAP, as well as work with several different insurance company websites to verify insurance coverage.

Management is very friendly and hands on. They help whenever needed. Very approachable.

Co-workers are also very helpful and approachable. They want everyone to succeed. Everyone's first concern is the patient and their well being.

The hardest part of the job is when a patient passes away that you have gotten to know personally.

The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting great people (the patients) and learning about their lives and families.
Pros
Very rewarding job
Cons
Pay and long hours
Incompetent Hospital IT
IT (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSDecember 16, 2015
It has taken the hospital more than a year to merge KUPI, and they still do not have all of the work completed for the merger. The date keeps getting pushed back, and we are getting pay cuts along with more expensive benefits, and less PTO.

The parking situation is horrible. Unless you have been her more than 6 or 7 years, you will have to walk 15 minutes from a parking lot that is almost a mile from the office. You can take the shuttle but that usually takes 20 or 30 minutes to get to your office, who has that much time.
Cons
parking, benefits, management that does not appreciate the employees
Amazing place to work!
NRCMA/MTA (externship) (Current Employee) –  Lees Summit, MODecember 15, 2015
I really learned how to work an amazing flow between making the patient feel appreciated and comfortable and keeping my doctors on track and focused.
Awesome place to work
Senior Value Analysis Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Inpatient PharmacyDecember 14, 2015
KUMED really cares about their employees, and is a wonderful place to work. The most enjoyable part of my job is the interesting analysis I provide. This is also very difficult at times.
horrible
Dispatcher/Transporter (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSDecember 10, 2015
certain departments have no accountability, no teamwork, and no respect for one another. They don't address disrespect at all. The training process is not effective or orthodox!
Transportation Clerk
Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSNovember 19, 2015
Resposabiltys making sure patients in hospital were on correct diets,medicines. Interacted with Doctors and RNS. Made sure patients were correctly admited in hospital
Pros
Monthly and or Hospital parties. Gift certificates for good work performance
Cons
Cut down on hours to less than 20 hours a week

Want to know more about The University of Kansas Hospital?

Ask a question
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSNovember 13, 2015
Working at the University of Kansas Hospital has enabled me to develop good work ethics. My customer service skills have greatly improved.
Pros
Awesome benefits
Cons
Whatever I do at the hospital doesn't relate to what I studied in College
Enjoyable workplace, understaffed
Patient Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSOctober 27, 2015
I have worked on the Neuro/ENT unit for 3 years and have enjoyed my time there, although we have been heavily understaffed recently.
Great Place
Trauma/Burn Nurse Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSSeptember 30, 2015
Main campus, good people, quality care & above and beyond patient care. Big institution, lots of variety in care based on unit. I have learned a great deal of resources. The job has been one of my favorite to provide exceptional care.
Pros
Great hours, nice people
Very fun place to be employeed.
Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSSeptember 9, 2015
I am a phlebotomist who has just been hired onto the phlebotomy team here at the University of Kansas Hospital. All i have to say about the hospital and its staff is simply amazing. As a phlebotomist i have been to every department in the hospital and i have been awed by the way the hospital staff and the way they all collaborate so well together, there is no feeling of not being good enough or failing to be recognised because you dont have a super prestegious degree. Each and every employee is reminded by eachother that they matter and i cant put into words how good that feels.
Enjoyable work place but watch it
Lead Catering Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSAugust 21, 2015
Really great environment and communication with co workers. Management needing lots of improvement. It is open to improvements within certain departments.
Patient Accounting Representative I (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSAugust 8, 2015
Good benefits, discount on Royals and Chiefs tickets and the best part of the job is the yearly raises. KU takes good care of their employees and most have been there for years. I don't think I'm going to be leaving anytime soon.
Pros
no hospital bills
Cons
terrible parking
Exciting full day
Outpatient Registration Representative (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSAugust 4, 2015
Fun/full workdays. This clinic is busy/fun/and cheerful. Big company! Sometimes stressful with the size of the company. Patient's were always getting lost!!!
Ku Med
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJuly 29, 2015
Horrible place to work. No teamwork at all. Upper management was good to the staff as far as holidays always had catered food and gift cards. beautiful campus and amenities just didnt enjoy working on the units. pay wasnt well either
Patient care is paramount to all we do
Operations Capital Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJune 7, 2015
Fast-paced and demanding but worth it at the end of the day. It feels good to see the end result and know I had a hand in shaping the patient experience.
Great Place to work
Clinical Nurse I (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSMay 5, 2015
Wonderful team environment with great benefits and lots of opportunity for growth. Loved working here and would recommend it highly to anyone.

4.3