The University of Manchester Employee Reviews

educational insitition
Student (Current Employee) –  studentJuly 5, 2017
support and guidance available throughout.
opportunities for training available. staff are friendly and welcoming.
Team work is very important and all of your concerns are dealt with in an effective manner.
Generally a good place to work, good colleagues, resonably good pay and secure job once you are on a permanent contract
IT Worker (Former Employee) –  IT DepartmentMay 17, 2017
I worked at the University for 17 years in the IT department; mostly decent colleagues and made some good friends, spoilt by one or two backstabbing co-workers and a bullying middle manager in my particular experience towards the end of my time there. Earlier on at the University, I really enjoyed it and had a decent manager. Took the voluntary redundancy in December 2015 along with about 68 colleagues. The top management seem to be going down a road of outsourcing/privatisation in recent years. Still a good career for me overall, the good much outweighed the bad at the University, I wouldn't want to put anyone off applying. Good pension (although the final salary scheme I am in is now closed to new starters). Generally better pay and conditions than most jobs in the 'outside world'. Management a bit too obessed with political correctness, etc. for me. Inflexible manager with compassionate leave/family caring responsibilities at one period; University says one thing, but it depends on the luck of the draw if you get an inflexible departmental manager or not. I learnt a lot over my time there about IT. Long daily commute stuck in traffic through city centre at peak times; wether travelling by bus, train or car. I made some really good friends who I still meet up with from time to time.
Pros
Reasonably good pay and conditions, generally relaxed work culture and not usually too pressurised with actual work
Cons
Management a little biased towards people with degrees, long daily commute.
Fun and flexible
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Manchester, UKApril 12, 2017
Great place to work - very sociable. Has allowed me to balance studying and earning some money on the side. It's easy as long as you are enthusiastic.
Productive,Busy, Demanding at times, well established,good vistion for 2020
Production and delivery manager (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater ManchesterMarch 5, 2017
The University is a very demanding business all year round
however this is a good thing it keeps you busy.
the down side is we are constantly changing our production range to keep up with the retail demands of Manchester City Central

Good place to work but uncertain future lots of reviews and changes in the air
Pros
Good pay, Conditions, work life balance
Cons
Unsure future at the moment lots of changes about to happen
Very productive and culturally diverse place to work
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Manchester, UKJanuary 19, 2017
The University provides the ideal environment for personal development especially for junior staff. The mentoring programme is brilliant and state-of-the-art facilities for both research and teaching.
Fantastic University
PhD student (Current Employee) –  AkzoNobel Laboratory for CorrosionDecember 14, 2016
It is great place to study materials and corrosion. Large number of people are investigating different aspects of corrosion and corrosion protection in different environments, which makes Corrosion and Protection Centre an ideal place for corrosion scientists.
Worst job experience ever
SO2 (Former Employee) –  Cancer Research UKAugust 6, 2016
Whereas the salary and benefits were good, the working environment and colleagues were awful. Back stabbing and unprofessional working culture. Very disappointed.
Pros
Holiday entitlement, flexi system
Cons
Work environment
beatuiful building
Facilities Supervisor (Former Employee) –  ManchesterJune 28, 2016
A typical day at the library always involved laughing ,whilst working there I learnt a lot about books and manuscripts. Sadly the management was very set in it's way and had very old school values, at times there was differently an upstairs downstairs culture. The co-workers there where some of the best people I have ever worked with, and the hardest part of the job was to leave. The most enjoyable was the making of life long friends within the library.
Pros
the scenary
Cons
the management
Productive and supportive workplace
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Manchester, ENGOctober 10, 2015
An ideal environment in which to pursue both research and teaching interests.
Professional supervision.
Plenty of research and teaching training opportunities.
Great university to work for
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Manchester, ENGSeptember 28, 2015
See my previous review.

In short, I think this university has great scientists who are dedicated to their research. As a results I learned a lot here.
Challenging & Fulfilling experience
8 week internship, Communications and Marketing (Former Employee) –  Manchester, ENGAugust 19, 2015
I independently produced a booklet detailing the research carried out by the University of Manchester Physics & Astronomy department. I also produced informational booklets for prospective students. This involved research, liaising with academics and using design programs to produce digital materials also suitable for printing. Juggling so many contacts was challenging but enjoyable and my communication and management skills grew
Good salary but poor future perspectives
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Manchester, ENGApril 14, 2015
Good salary and social benefits. Unfortunately most positions are only temporary so it makes the future perspectives very poor...
Summary
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester, ENGMarch 5, 2015
I learnt to be a good team player to achieve the company set goals. To also lead by example and accommodate other people's opinion.
That a good time manager will reduce unnecessary pressure at work
Productive and fun workplace
Teaching Asstistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester, ENGOctober 14, 2014
I was worked in the University of Manchester as a teaching assistant of (BlockSim 9) ReliaSoft software.

I was responsible for MSc Mechanical Engineering Students during the ReliaSoft demonstartion which took place in the University of Manchester in the Reliability & Maintainability course. I also helped students who cope with some difficulties in the exercises and coursework.

I realised how important is when one has a responsibility to complete a task. I lerned that being patient, kalm and positive are vital characteristics to work with others and understood that teaching is not as simple as it seems.

In my team there was harmony and all the members were friendly and pleased to help each other if it was asked.
University of Manchester
Domestic Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester, ENGSeptember 11, 2014
The company was an excellent company to work for.
co- workers and management were great.
the job was enjoyable friendly place to work for
friendly and inspiring working place
China-link Liaison (Current Employee) –  Manchester, ENGApril 13, 2014
A clear target is set to achieve and the leadership is efficient. The leadership is effective with explicit guidances and monitoring as well as support with quick and constructive comments.
good experince
Car park attendant (Former Employee) –  Manchester, ENGJanuary 23, 2014
it was very good experience as i gained some essential skills when dealing with customers.
A Mixed Review
Business Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Manchester, ENGJanuary 7, 2014
I worked there at the time of the merger between Manchester University & UMIST. This was handled badly and there was a lot of confusion about job roles and structures, massively wasted budgets and a lack of direction.
Pros
A regulated university environment
Cons
Lack of direction and resulting mis-management
One of the biggest university in UK/ World
Gradute Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester, ENGNovember 21, 2012
-Taught about 3 or 4 lecture depending on semester to about 100+ students.
- My co-workers were either Phd students or Phd's Professors
- The hardest part of the job was standing in front of 100+ very bright students and teaching them Mathematical economics, Macro economics. They were 1st, 2nd , 3rd and final year students. so most of them were very bright and intelligent. You had to be well prepared for the tutorials you were teaching. I had no prior experience of teaching, and it was a challenging job paying about 85/90 Dollar per hour.
I did that for about two years and loved it.
poductive
Installation Electrician (Former Employee) –  ManchesterNovember 13, 2012
enjoyable environment, long hours made more barable by pleasent co-workers
Pros
interesting and professional
Cons
long comute home in rush hour