THE UNIVERSITY OF MEMPHIS Employee Reviews

Productive Workplace
Computer Operator (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNDecember 1, 2016
Lovely campus environment. Developed necessary skills for advancement. Great workplace. State Board of Regents expertise.
Student Centered
Counselor - Student Support Services-TRIO program (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMarch 5, 2013
Upper management is very involved with student development and student opportunities. This is an overall friendly place to work. Employees are encouraged to take advantage of educational opportunities. The downfall is the salary is some positions is not as competitive as other locations.
Pros
free education up to 9 credit hours per semester for full-time employees
Cons
some salaries not as competitive
Productive and very welcoming environment
Professional Development Center Assistant Intern (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 25, 2015
My typical work day was very busy and involved accessing various programs and updating various spreadsheets with student information. I learned a lot about networking with various companies and individuals and the difference that it can possibly make within ones career. Management was a blast to work with, because it was a small office everyone was hands-on with all of the office projects and business meetings. One thing that I loved about the department was that everyone was able to offer their input on all matters and we were able to make the appropriate changes if it would allow for our daily tasks to run smoother. The hardest part of my job was leaving after my internship had ended, because I had established so many relationships with other students as a result of working in this position which was one of the many thing that I enjoyed about this job.
Great place to work and learn new skills and meet new people
Administrative Associate I (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 18, 2012
Performed general administrative-related tasks.
Learned software applications such as MS Word and Excel.
Management was great, let you work independently.
Co-workers was great, very professional and knowledgeable of clients needs.
The hardest part of the job would be laying off staff when funds were cut.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with a diverse group of people.
Pros
great pay and benefits.
Cons
was a state funded, program ended when funding was cut.
Two mater degree in Finance, and almost 10 years experience in business of car manufactory
IT assistant (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNOctober 22, 2012
My background includes nine years serving as an accountant and purchaser with in both IT and car manufactory environments. Most recently, I worked as an IT assistant for the University of Memphis, where my responsibilities included administering a Maintenance Management System and providing IT services and analysis for Physical Plant.
Pros
work hard and work smart, meet the deadline.
Cons
jump two fast from one topic to another.
The University was very professional and had excellent training
Administrative Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 28, 2014
I was the Administrative Assistant to the Department of Journalism, responsible in assisting the Chair.

Everyone across campus worked as a team, training would occur quite often during the semester.

Networking with the Dean's office and business representatives was top notch. I am a fan of their benefits and the relationship with the faculty, students and management was very close.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
n/a
Productive with huge research opportunity
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 28, 2016
Typically I am assisting a professor for helping his course by grading, preparing slides, notes, hws, solutions and maximum time I am used to work on my research work.

I learned a lot by doing TA and RA work.
Work atmosphere very good and the job was very rewarding,
Employee Records Assistant, Records Department (Former Employee) –  Human Resources, Administration BuildingSeptember 13, 2014
My day started at 8 am and ended at 4:30 pm. I learned many different job duties in an ever changing atmosphere in this job. I input payroll data, produced reports, adjusted changes in employees time and leave, and many other processes necessary to do the job.
In my 24yrs on the job management changed several times, but I had the good fortune of having a very good manager for the last
15 yrs. of being there and my co-workers were good people also, the hardest part of the job was leaving before I was ready to retire and the most enjoyable part of the job was the customer service part of the job.
Pros
three free classes each semester and you get to attend one during the day.
Cons
To many managers, supervisors, lead people, a lot of areas only need one.
great school
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 15, 2015
great school to work or obtain an education.The company itself is really good, especially back in Moyock, but there is a disconnect between Moyock and Helmand Province. The project manager, site lead, ops manager are all about themselves. In fact it took HR from moyock to come down to look at the problems. It's a good ole boys network. The management is horrible actually in helmand province and they are not people oriented. The military also looks
Fun environment to work in. Great staff and management that cares about all workers.
Event Technician (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 19, 2014
Typical days include but are not limited to coordinating and tracking the progress of any advertising and promotional campaigns aimed at generating sales or the launching of new products in existing markets.Deliver lights and furnishings to all events taking place at The University and Rose Theater.Also handle and resolve customer complaints and issues.
Good benefits, not enough employee raises
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNDecember 8, 2011
The university was a good place to work because they provided their employees with good benefits. My problem was with some of the people who work in my particular department. But, as I interacted with other departments on campus, I didn't encounter any problems.
Pros
campus wide employee appreciations, good benefits
Cons
favoritism in my department
Great place to work! Co-workers are incredible!
Student Leadership (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 20, 2013
I love the U of M, but my husband is wanting to relocate. I have a paralegal bachelors degree and would like to pursue that career now.
Pros
Students make it fun!
Cons
It can be extremely busy at times because there are so many students.
A very good university with a great environment to study and work
Ph.D. Candidate and graduate research assistant (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNDecember 14, 2015
The University of Memphis has a great environment to study and work. Graduate program in this university has a high quality.
supportive
Adjunct Instructor - Zumba Fitness 1932 (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNDecember 4, 2013
Management was supportive of family responsibilities. Co-workers shared responsibility.
Pros
flexible
Cons
pay
Assistant Instructor (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMarch 25, 2013
Great work place with caring people. The school offers many connections and chances for advancement
Great place to work if you have a family.
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMarch 12, 2012
Has great benefits, and is a great place to further your education
need more jobs oppunitiny
Custodian I (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 2, 2012
not enough career advancements,everyone works hard
at their jobs.
Work environment was ver professional
ITD Helpdesk Consultant (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 9, 2012
• Interacted with staff, administrators, and faculty at all levels of computing sophistication
• Supported hardware and software, and updated end-users on policies and procedures
• Obtain accurate information about the client environment and problem
• Provide computer account services such as password resets, print quota refunds; clear TigerLAN sessions
Working as a researcher and instructor
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 6, 2013
As a doctoral student at The University of Memphis my responsibilities as a university employee and student intertwined. I was the primary instructor for General Chemistry I & II labs. I also worked as a researcher. As a researcher, I worked in an interdisciplinary area crossing chemistry, material science and biology. My research interests were primarily in the development of novel inorganic nanomaterials and their bioconjugates for applications in biology and medicine. My particular focuses were colloidal metallic nanoparticles such as iron oxide-gold core-shell nanorods for cancer detection and treatment, including molecular imaging, spectroscopic detection, photo-mediated therapy, targeted delivery, and mRNA imaging and regulation. Working in an interdisciplinary field such as nanotechnology helped me build team-working skills that I did not have prior. Because nanotechnology utilizes many areas of science I constantly had to collaborate with and trust experts from other areas. After working in industry for three years and being the go to person for many tasks, I was suddenly having to go to others for advice and to seek new insight on issues. This helped me network as well as become a more well rounded chemist.
Educational environment
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 14, 2012
The work environment was rewarding and there were lots of opportunities to grow.
Pros
educational environment
Cons
location

Ask a question about working or interviewing at THE UNIVERSITY OF MEMPHIS. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4