The University of Michigan

The University of Michigan Employee Reviews in United States

No room for advancement
Custodian/Janitor (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIFebruary 18, 2016
Constantly covering everyone s job but your own. Management sucks. They have must have a class were they teach them to look the other way. Only place I ve seen you can go to work and sleep and its okay. I worked for building services. There is no room for advancement. Management makes money custodian s dont.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Sorry management
Overall it's job security
LPN (Former Employee) –  U of M Ann Arbor MiMarch 28, 2016
My overall experience was ok. I expected more from the U. The department I worked for was disorganized, management was terrible, high turnover rate. Had I known then what I know now. I would've turned down the job offer... The positive side is, I took care of some amazing patients. Met some good people. ..
Pros
Good benefits, great reputation
Cons
Hard to transfer to available job posting. Lengthy hiring process. 1 yr wait to be eligible for FMLA, parking
Overall, a good employer.
Stock Keeper III (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIFebruary 17, 2016
A very secure employer. A great appreciation for work/life balance. Competitive wages and fair increases. Co-workers are friends and make it enjoyable to come to work.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
excellent company to be a part of
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJanuary 9, 2016
management is there to help. benefits are great including matching 401k 2/1. room for advancement. Coworkers work together as a team. vacation and holiday pay right away
Pros
great system to be a part of
Cons
pay for LPNs lower than area standards
Small company values at a large university
Social Media Intern (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIFebruary 8, 2016
The University of Michigan is a very generous employer, and I worked for them during all four years of my college career. The departments I worked for had a very positive work culture and a supportive environment that allowed me to learn the ins and outs of my job quickly and efficiently.
Cons
Huge competition for permanent positions
good enviorment, and learning experiance
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Northville, MIFebruary 13, 2016
Going into work every day is satisfying that you take part in making people get well.

Everyday is a new challenge in what you can learn from others as well as from your patients well being.

Management is there to provide help with any difficulties, improvements in learning new ways to accomplish a better working environment.

Co-workers are a big part of your work area, that is why building respectful relationships are important.

Sometimes hearing bad news is a hard part of your job.

Knowing you gave all your best is the most enjoyable part of the job.
A great place to start
Clinical Subjects/Research Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIOctober 7, 2015
Working with the best and brightest really got my career off the ground and opened up many opportunities. I loved the day to day work but the overall compensation doesn't stack up with industry and the management is quite stifling as far as advanement opportunities.
Pros
Benefits, education
Cons
Compensation, advancement
Sr. Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJanuary 19, 2016
The University offers opportunities for advancement. Salary increase/bonus are based upon ability to perform duties. Employee appreciation is recognized!
Very good place to work
Patient Financial Counselor II (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MINovember 30, 2015
Great working environment and wonderful management team. I would recommend this employer. Great benefits and PTO. Computer training and hands on training available.
Flexible and low stress shifts with varying responsibility
Computer Consultant II (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIApril 29, 2016
Flexible shifts, allowing for full time work in the summer and part time work during the fall/winter semesters. Worked on projects as they came up, some days had minimal work others were more busy depending on the departmental schedule (usually the begging/end of semesters is the most hectic). Helped assemble and maintain EECS department servers, troubleshoot technology issues for professors and graduate students, and helped distribute university software.
Pros
Flexible schedule, fun and relaxing environment, great interaction with professors and fellow students
Cons
Some days were uneventful and dull with little work to be done
Beware of senior management
Position withheld to avoid retaliation. (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIMay 22, 2016
Senior management is not interested in having a safe work place, content employees, saving energy, saving natural resources, or innovative ideas. At least not where I work. Our unit returned budget money and worked at a much higher level of service, responsibility, and efficiency than was displayed elsewhere. Rather than rewarding employees they targeted them for doing a great job rather than just enough to fall in line with the outdated programs that were shoved from above. The worst part is the arrogance and display of superiority that upper management holds over the employees. If you dare to think anyway other than their way you get crushed by the system regardless of who is right. I strongly recommend that you do not apply to the university if you want to do good for the customer. If you don't mind being a subservient slave you will fit in. Leave your conscience at the door.
Pros
Pay and benefits are okay.
Cons
Impunity and arrogance of UPPER management.
Great environment to work in
Data Services Technician (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIMay 9, 2016
Typical day - working very independently all over campus doing inventory, updating IP addresses, cleaning equipment, reporting any kind of issues or potential issues at each location. Training new hires and teaching them the network locations across campus.

What I learned - a lot about network closet setup and maintenance.

Management - very friendly and very health and family first environment.

Hardest part of the job - knowing it was only temporary and having to leave once the job was completed.
Pros
Friendly, independent place to work
Cons
No room for advancement
Stimulating work with very smart professor
Researcher (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIMarch 2, 2016
The work done here pushed my knowledge forward as far as I wanted to take it. I was given the freedom to develop my own hypotheses and and experimentally test them at my pace as long as I progressed week to week. Each week I would present a powerpoint which displayed my progress for the past week and the work I hoped to accomplish next week. The hardest part of this job was that I had to use numerous theses to support my claims and increase my knowledge of the subject matter. I did, however, have the professor and other researchers to help understand difficult concepts.
Pros
Free lunches, research freedom
Volunteer position
Therapeutic Recreational Specialist Volunteer (Current Employee) –  University Center, MINovember 5, 2015
a typical day is checking the lunch room for patients snacks and beverages. What I have learned is I enjoy working with CVA patients. Management is wonderful and flexible to work with. I am solo the day I volunteer. The hardest part is I am only able to volunteer one day a week and I wish I could do more. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the patients and their support members.
Pros
I have freedom and the staff respect me
Cons
It is a volunteer position only
8 year employee
Patient Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIFebruary 1, 2016
I spent 8 years as an employee with U of M ER. It was a good place to work, although there were times where hard work could go unnoticed. The management during my last year could've been handled better (a lack of communication and understanding).
Large system with opportunities
REGISTERED NURSE (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJune 7, 2016
I have enjoyed working at the University of Michigan. I am only leaving to relocate to a warmer climate. The biggest negative is the parking situation. It's very costly to park, I pay over $600 a year. There are less expensive alternatives but it requires you to use the bus system and adds about 30 min to the daily commute both coming and leaving work. Staffing ratios are great and there are a lot of opportunities to become involved.
Excellent University System
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIFebruary 5, 2016
Excellent university with many options to choose in lab projects. Very well equipped and high-quality grad students to work under. Love the work load and pay compensation as a undergraduate student.
huge disappointment
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIApril 24, 2016
Huge disappointment. I can see why U of M is always hiring and can't keep new employees. The staff who trains new personnel want you to fail and management isnt any better. I'm surprised a pharmacy such as Mott wouldnt want to retain personnel since its a safety factor to have new technicians constantly training in the pharmacy.
Pros
health insurance
Cons
lousy management, poor training, high turnover of technicians, parking cost and locations riduculous
Devaluing long service employees is the new norm-showing them the door before they are retiree eligible!!
Administrative Manager (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIMarch 24, 2016
Don't waste your time here if you value yourself and want to be valued as an employee. You are a faceless number and when you begin to look too expensive on paper, the almighty pen strikes you off the roster and pushes you through the door.
Pros
Cons
everything
Get place to work
intermediate transit supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIApril 16, 2016
Review all emails, check roster for accuracy review any accidents or incidents fro previous day take customer service call.Assign overtime if necessary, adjust routes if necessary check coaches for on time performance. Fill out daily payroll, switch out down coaches if needed.Open door policy to address staff concerns.
Pros
FRIENDLY STAFF
Cons
OPERATOR SHORTAGE

4.3