The University of Mississippi Medical Center Employee Reviews

depends on your dept.
RN (Former Employee) –  clinicsNovember 2, 2015
I worked for many years in the hospital. Overall I enjoyed the job. My charge nurse and nurse manager were wonderful. But they are gone now. Moved to clinics. Different story there. There is no education for the staff except from each other. Management is not clinical which leads to awful decisions. The leaders in the clinics often are not qualified because the requirements for them are not the same as in the hospital. Overall the clinics are not team driven. My so called lead nurse lacked every quality a nurse should have and the management lacking any nursing background didn't know the difference. Its a job, but you have to swallow your pride and be willing to put up with lack of manners and training. I enjoyed the patients and physicians. But even the physicians don't have a lot of say anymore.
Pros
Patients and physician interaction
Cons
non-clinical management in clinics
Just my HONEST opinion.
pc technician (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSOctober 29, 2015
UMMC IS THE ONLY LEVEL 1 HOSPITAL. AND HOLDS SUCH A HONORABLE AND WELL RESPECTED REPUTATION, FOR HAVING A HIGH REGARD FOR THE HUMAN LIFE...HOWEVER...During my time at UMMC it really could have been better. Appreciation plays a HUGE part in life, not just work! But when you do your job and at times somebody elses, a simple thank you would be nice. The lack of staff, favoritism, laziness, sarcasism and personalities clashing was a bit much. But,the rudeness,intimidation and some of the remarks that have been towards some of the families by SOME of the staff, ( PCTs,nusre asst. LPNs, & RNs) at times, me soooo mad. That's what I had the biggest personal, heartfelt problem with. I'm only speaking for my dept. And those that I worked with. NOT EVERYONE was this way. But I can count them all on one hand.
So, I'm not here to say DON'T join the UMMC family.(KEY WORD FAMILY) If you are genuine, caring, patient, and want to make someone else feel better, your NEEDED. If your just in it for the money, or because "ITS A JOB"...Just know....WE ALL KNOW WHERE WE HAVE BEEN BUT NONE OF US KNOW WHERE WE ARE GOING, OR WHO MAY HAVE TO CARE FOR US OR SOMEONE WE LOVE!!!!!
And my advise to the "UPPER MANAGEMENT", COMMUNICATION!
Talk to your staff, ( we are bedside) talk to the families, and patients that can. Get a better perspective of things😕
Pros
Exercise, and patient appreciation
Cons
LACK OF......patient concern, staff, and "teamwork"
The Department of Radiology has been going through changes in management, some not so positive.
Education Administrator (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSJuly 1, 2015
My workday began around 7:15/7:30am and ended at 4:30pm or when the work was completed. I learned a great deal about the inner workings of a residency program. Management at the end of my tenure needed to be reassessed in my opinion. Most all of my co-workers were friendly, helpful and exhibited a willingness to work together to meet the goals of our department. The hardest part of this job was dealing with management within our department. I loved my time at the University of Mississippi Medical Center dealing with the residents and medical students. I was like the "Den Mother" as my Program Director often referred to me as.
Pros
Flexible work schedules. Vacation. Medical Leave. Retirement. Health Insurance.
Cons
Parking. Not enough administrative personnel to meet the requirements of the department.
Poor excuse for health care
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Grenada, MississippiJune 21, 2015
A typical day in critical care involved being assigned large patient loads of acutely ill patients requiring involved specialized care. Typically there would be 8-9 patients per RN with no patient care technicians or nursing assistants. They cut you loose from training as quickly as possible then you can be reassigned to another floor or unit at the drop of a hat regardless of whether or not you have experience with that type of nursing or have ever oriented to that floor. Management disregards any input or concern from nurses who raise concern about patient safety. The retirement plan is about the only good thing about the benefits and compensation, but nothing is worth jeopardizing patient safety and your career.

There are many bullies from administration down and nurses are bullied to take assignments they are uncomfortable with.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Staffing, Lack of concern for safety, Low pay, Bullying culture, poor management
Hard Work from start to finish.
lpn (Former Employee) –  jackson msJune 17, 2015
Worked at UMC first few years out of nursing school. Must say that you can learn a lot about good nursing practices, and a lot of what not-to-do. I never stopped moving from clocked in to clock out. I could only get lunch break when I pretend to be a smoker. They respect them.
Pros
good retirement plan that transfers to other state jobs and insurance
Cons
to busy. to many duties.
PASSABLE
UNFIAR AT TIMES
HAVE FAVORITISIM AMONG THEIR EMPLOEES
HAVE CLICKS
NOT ALL COWORKERS ARE CORRUPT
UMMC IS A FACILITY TO WORK FOR IF YOU COULD NOT FIND NO WHERE ELSE TO BE EMPLOYED.
Food service
Food service (Former Employee) –  MsSeptember 11, 2014
Umc food service is horrible I worked their for 6 months the biggest mistake of my life I only took the job to get my feet in the door so I could move to a different department they worked the heck out of u for little money they don't tell u in your interview how much u will make all they say is oh I'll try and get u more money they do that cause they desperate for help I had a patient to find a roach in his pudding before the silverware is filthy the directors are crazy they don't know how to talk to people they over work u they won't u to push the carts, serve the food, carp your own carts, run your own dishes threw the dish washer half of the time u didn't get a lunch break cause u still had floors to pick up they didn't care
Cons
unclean food
Anesthesia Technician (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSAugust 30, 2014
I loved this job. I learned a lot in my time here. I loved working in surgery.
Cons
extremely long hours
I beg you not to get involved with this place!!!!
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jackson, msJune 19, 2014
Umc is an organization that cares about money and money only!!! They only acknowledge the doctors, nurses and etc.... the other employees are treated like a door mat and no matter how good of a Job they do, they'll never get recognized. It's a horrible place and the vine is awful. So u must say if you're still interested. ...APPLY AT YOUR OWN RISK.
Pros
....
Cons
everything
Just Don't
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Jackson, msMay 14, 2014
Don't work here!! The years I worked here were terrible. They don't care about employees, at least not in the department I worked.
Cons

Want to know more about The University of Mississippi Medical Center?

Ask a question
n/a
nursing (Former Employee) –  jackson msNovember 16, 2013
it was ok put manager was bad and the work hours was bad my hours 6:30-4:30 but I didn't get off to 7:30 or 8
Great place to work!
Charge Nurse, RN II (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSFebruary 3, 2013
Very much enjoyed my 4 years at UMMC, and had I not relocated to another state, I would have been there for many years. The staff is patient-focused and committed to the long-term success of the instuition.
Pros
committed to education and advancement.
Cons
no cons
Productive and Relaxed Atmosphere
Administrative Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Department of SurgeryAugust 6, 2012
I thoroughly enjoyed working for this company. Would have retired from there but I moved.
benefits
Cons
i had to move