The University of Rhode Island Employee Reviews

Productive and Team oriented
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  South Kingstown, RIFebruary 1, 2017
It's good to work at the University of Rhode Island under the supervision of an instructor. Get familiar with advanced civil engineering technologies. The environment here is very friendly and productive.
Great interactions.
Online Education Accessibility Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kingston, RIDecember 22, 2016
My job entailed coordinating with professors and my supervisors remotely, and it was a delight interacting with most of them.
Pros
Improved my business correspondences.
Cons
N/A
Students are delightful, adjuncting is what you'd expect
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIDecember 17, 2016
You know what you're getting into, systemically, as an adjunct. Join a union, press for change. As usual, the students are the best part of the experience.
Middle manager
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Kingston, RIJuly 28, 2016
This isn't a bad place to work if you're trying to build a resume, but don't plan on advancing here unless you play golf with the boss or self promote really well.Politics is rampant and blatant.
The atmosphere in my office is cut throat and people will climb on you to look taller.
Upper management has no skills in leadership. They manage people but don't lead. The philosophy is that the beatings will continue until morale improves.
Students are treated as an afterthought. most people I know do their level best to get rid of them as quickly as possible. This is because there is no sense of being a part of an empowered team. We live in a culture of blame.
No value is placed on employees. Longevity is not valued, and in fact is punished.
There is no employee feedback system for "superiors" including the President and Provost.
Pros
Nice area to live.
Cons
Lack of leadership
Uri
Strength and Conditioning Intern (Former Employee) –  Kingston, RIDecember 3, 2016
Great university that is constantly trying to improve in all areas (academics, athletics, etc.). Small school but will continue to grow and with great staff and students.
Good University
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rhode Island, RISeptember 4, 2016
Nice work environment,Good University, fairly pay.University of Rhode Island is located in Kingston of Rhode Island. Quiet and beautiful campus. Faculty and staff are very friendly and helpful.
Really enjoy working there.
Cooks Helper (Former Employee) –  RINovember 3, 2016
very busy and have to enjoy working with people. Always have new jobs opening. Must be able to work on your feet and get along with different types of people.
Helping People
Community Nutrition Educator (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIJune 28, 2016
I love helping people and being able to teach families about Nutrition. It is great that the program takes time to train the employees on the most recent curriculum for EFNEP and schools.
Pros
perks of working at a university
Cons
crazy schedule and no advancement opportunities
Professional Attitude
Box Office Cashier (Current Employee) –  KingstonMay 8, 2016
There I learned to maintain a professional attitude at a window and over the phone. I also learned how to use "Vendini Ticket Agent." My co-workers were usually one at a time and very easy to get along with. A typical day involved selling tickets over the phone or in person through a computer agent, handling money, and filing tickets.
A learning and working environment
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Kingston, RIApril 12, 2016
Working as a student at the Language Lab at the University of Rhode Island is a great learning and working opportunity. The management understands the necessity for flexible scheduling around class-time and academic obligations. Such a positive work environment is reinforced by quality co-workers and a reassuring level of feedback from lab patrons.
Uri
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kingston, RIAugust 2, 2016
My experience at URI has been very rewarding. My advisor and other professors have been very helpful and have strengthened my ability to conduct research.
Okay place to work.
Web Developer/Programmer (Former Employee) –  Kingston, RIMay 21, 2016
This is coming from the perspective of a student. The place was okay to work at least in terms of the ITMS department. The pay is what you would expect an undergrad student to be paid and for the most part it's just a mundane place to work.
only place i have ever worked
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kingston, RIFebruary 19, 2016
I have worked for the university in multiple departments including food service, residence halls, and as a graduate teaching and research assistant. I worked part time through out both my undergrad and graduate degrees. The school is very good about working with your schedule and knows that your education comes before the job. Although the administration department is a little slow on paper work and you really have to nag them to get things done in a timely manner. overall I enjoyed working for the university and I learned many things from the various potions I have held.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
if student can only work part time
Well
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Kingston, RIApril 16, 2016
Fill a need as soon as you go in, whether it be making coffee, pizza, or smoothies, co-workers are friendly, management is good, hardest part of the job are the rush times, most enjoyable, breaks
Pros
Oppurtunity to become familiar with student body
Cons
Night Hours
Productive and Informative
Student (Former Employee) –  Kingston, RIMay 2, 2016
This was the most informative project I have been a part of. I learned many things about what has to be done when a company is looking to manufacture and distribute from a foreign company.
Entry Level Internship
Science & Engineering Fellow (Former Employee) –  Kingston, RIFebruary 2, 2016
This was my first internship, the summer after my first year in college. I gained valuable skills in grant writing, developing a curriculum for a science camp, reaching out to other individuals and deans at various colleges for funding.
Great Place to Work
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kingston, RIJanuary 26, 2016
Amazing research opportunities and gives the ability to work independently on an assigned project. Would recommend every student to apply for research opportunities if it applies to your major.
Learning and growing confident as a researcher
PhD student (Current Employee) –  Kingston, RIJanuary 18, 2016
A typical day at work consists of reading relevant research papers from peer researchers and carrying out experiments. Managing the time and coping with success and failures of experiments is key.
Adjunct
adjunct instructor (Current Employee) –  Kingston, RIDecember 19, 2015
Excellent work life balance, limited promotion, disorganized management. Very little ability to move forward due to union structure and no incentive for raises.
Pros
Work-life balance
Cons
Poor compensation and promotion
Excellent place to work with lots of opportunities
URI Biological Control Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kingston, RIJuly 30, 2015
A typical day of work consists of either lab or field work that could be for any one of numerous research projects that we are working on. The most enjoyable part of the job is definitely the feeling of really making a difference- the work we do helps control invasive plant and insect pests and has a really positive impact on the environment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The University of Rhode Island. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2