The University of Rhode Island Employee Reviews

Great experience!
Greek Organization Event Advisor (Former Employee) –  Memorial UnionAugust 28, 2017
Great culture that fosters learning and development within the organization! Faculty is willing to work with indivudual students in order to help the studdent better themselves.
Great Place to work
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Kingston, RIAugust 2, 2017
-Fun place to work and also an accomplishing feeling when doing the job because of helping fellow Boy Scouts having fun and doing what they want to do.
Worked as a young administrator
Dir. Comp. Child Development Center (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJuly 31, 2017
I was the youngest staff member of 11 workers. I was the administrator and boss with a lot of responsibility and reported to off site campus representatives.
Pros
Working with pre-school kids
Cons
Low pay and little respect.
Great leadership and communication experience
Teachers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston, RIJuly 20, 2017
I would lead a small class recitation in order to assess and stregnthen students understanding of basic physics concepts. Every week, word problems pertaining to class discussions would be given during a separate class block. My responsibilities were to assist the students, grade their work, and report back to the professor with feedback and suggestions on how to improve the overall learning experience.
Pros
Great experience
Cons
Schedule
Graduate student
Ocean Engineer (Current Employee) –  Narragansett, RIJuly 6, 2017
I completed my PhD at URI. I was a grad student, therefore, by definition the hours were long, I didn't have much in the way of benefits/pay, but I got it done. I did really enjoy my research and my lab group/advisor.
Pros
Good smart people
Cons
Grad student salary/benefits.
If only adjuncts were paid like real teachers!!
Spanish Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Kingston, RIJune 17, 2017
I really loved working at the University of Rhode Island. The students were motivated, and I enjoyed collaborating with my fellow colleagues. Unfortunately after a temporary one-year full time position, I was offered a part-time position, paid per course - no salary, no benefits. After paying for child care, I would have worked an entire year for $5,000! I wish I could have stayed but simply could not afford it!! Adjuncts teach the majority of the undergraduates at URI, but they get paid a small pittance and have little or no job security/benefits. Furthermore there is little or no interaction between tenured faculty and adjuncts. This social and economic inequality is unacceptable for an "institute of higher learning."
Pros
Challenging/Fun environment!
Cons
No job security!
Great school with great employment oppurtunities
BioTech Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJune 7, 2017
Environment was very relaxed and easy going. Loved going into work everyday. It was a work study, so I had to part ways once I graduated. Definitely would recommend the position to anyone
Comfortable work space and environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston, RIJune 6, 2017
As an administrative assistant, I worked in the life-sciences building on campus. I answered phone calls, accepted, recorded and delivered packages to respective classrooms and labs. The work atmosphere was great!
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Tiny office space
Independent and autonomous work environment
Nursing Professor undergraduate nursing program (Current Employee) –  Kingston, RIJune 3, 2017
Independent and autonomous teaching environment with undergraduate nursing students in a clinical setting following the course guidelines utilizing personal education and experience to guide the outlined curriculum.
Pros
Student education
Sometimes Stressful, But Worth It.
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Kingston, RIMay 12, 2017
As an RA, there is no typical day at work. You could have days where you do nothing related to your job, and you can have days where you can't get away from it- and the responsibilities are many. Office hours and on-calls take up a lot of the time, and are the main reasons why it can be hard to balance a social life with the professional one, on top of academic responsibilities.

Still, the experiences at URI are worth it, as they are hugely applicable to other fields of work, and can really help one to get knowledge in event planning or emergency preparedness to name just two skills. Still, it isn't good to just take the job for the benefits- there is a huge responsibility with the position, sometimes even making sure a resident doesn't die. It can be a lot, but if you're up for it, it's an immensely experiential and satisfying job.

Management completely depends on which building you work in. Some are "chill," some are the complete opposite. It's a mixed bag, but they are all fair people, and as long as you do the work, you'll get along with any of them fine. Farther up from direct supervisors does leave something to be desired, as there is a distinct feeling of apathy towards you as an individual RA, though they are working on this.

Workplace culture is what you make it. There can be years where coworkers are your best friends, and years where the building turns into a clique filled mess.

The hardest part of the job is failing. There will be times when you don't have the power to help someone, and seeing them fail can be either demotivating or motivating. Work-Life-academic
  more... balance can also be difficult, but this is another skill that the job aids in improving.  less
Pros
Amazing experience, Networking, Free housing
Cons
Work-life-academic balance is hard, occasional management issues, difficulty of job is not consistent
Great
Academic Advisor (Current Employee) –  Kingston, RIMay 8, 2017
It is a wonderful educational employer. I recommend it as an employer and as a college.
If you are looking for a long-term employer, this is a great place to work. You really should consider it if you are looking.
Pros
Benefits if you are full time
Cons
Part-time
Fun
Head Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Kingston, RIMay 2, 2017
Room for growth and they take care of you. Getting to know a bunch of different people from different backgrounds is amazing. The new management can use some work because they just came in and started changing everything.
Teacher's assistant
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston, RIApril 18, 2017
Worked under a very insightful and helpful professor. The time I spent in the classroom was very beneficial. I was able to interact with students and assist with the grading process.
Great institution of Higher Education
Acting Director (Current Employee) –  Kingston, RIApril 16, 2017
Worked in a supportive an engaging community of educators who are dedicated to the academic success of the students. My students and colleagues are the best part of my job.
Great School
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Kingston, RIApril 12, 2017
Enjoyed my time there and worked on undergrad and Masters while there. Everyone treats you fairly and no issues at all. Give it a shot you cant go wrong
Responsible for Providing Information and Helping with Documentation
IEP Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Kingston, RIApril 12, 2017
Worked as an ambassador for the International Engineering Program providing information to the students preparing to go abroad. Attended Open House events to answer questions. Responsible for assisting students with their documentation for the program.
Pros
Ability to work with Students participating in the program you have completed
Cons
Holding meetings around multiple students schedules
Freelance work
Freelance Editor (Former Employee) –  Rhode IslandApril 6, 2017
I edited a piece to introduce the school's new MBA program. I worked on both Avid and Premiere as well as After Effects on this project. It gave me a chance to wear many hats and use all of my skill sets.
Pros
Great people. Very challenging.
Cons
None that I can think of
Very hard working culture.
Housing and Residential Life Furniture Crew (Current Employee) –  Kingston, RIApril 3, 2017
Everyone works hard to accomplish our goals for the day. Everyone gets along and its a very friendly atmosphere. Very good with making your schedule around your classes.
Pros
Scheduling is very good they work with you to make your schedule around your classes.
Cons
No benefits.
Productive and fun
Secretary/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Kingston, RIApril 2, 2017
Safe workplace with opportunity to meet all different kinds of people! Management is always there to help associates with questions and problems. Walking distance, so I do not have to drive there!
Working in the pharmacy building
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Kingston, RIMarch 14, 2017
Very laid back and relaxed setting. The people are very nice and understanding. The work I do isn't hard. I file papers, shred papers, order supplies, help set up and break down events. I enjoy working there but can only work the job i'm in until im out of school.
Pros
They understand you're in school so they'll work with you when you need time off
Cons
ends when i'm out of college

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The University of Rhode Island. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2