The University of Southern MIssissippi Employee Reviews

Intern
Data Analyst (Student Worker) (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSFebruary 8, 2017
This position was just an intern. However, I learned alot that I can take into my professional career. The work environment was on a college campus, but it was comfortable. I thoroughly enjoyed my time there.
good to work
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSJanuary 31, 2017
nice place to enhance your talent. Increase your network. And totally a good culture and climate. and you can have fun. easy to find graduate assistant positions here.
Salary and Advancement
Administrative Assistant/Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSJanuary 20, 2017
I had skills and experience that were not utilized by management. This caused much frustration. Also, salaries do not go up much once hired. My salary went up only a little over $1,000.00 in eight years.
Great Work Environment
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSJanuary 11, 2017
I enjoyed teach at the University of Southern Mississippi. I was a lab instructor for the Geology 101 Lecture. I had an amazing supervisor and flexible work hours. I was able to maintain my part-time position while being a full-time student. Nothing but good things to say about my time spent as a teachers assistant at USM. USMTTT!
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Part-time only
Great atmosphere
Head Lifeguard/Facilities Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSDecember 15, 2016
Working here was a great opportunity. My skills grew drastically, and I became a stronger leader. The pay was ok, but you could always offer people more money. Overall great experience.
Pros
Fun
Great faculty and staff!
Administrative Assistant/Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSDecember 8, 2016
This is an overall great place to work. The days are busy but a little different each day as you interact with students, faculty and other staff. The expectations are high for quality and accurate work as it involves the records for student academics.
N/a
Grant Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSOctober 31, 2016
The University is a great place to work but the departments/schools are ran by chair's/director's that are only concerned about themselves and moving up the ladder of success. They are not concerned about the one's that help keep the departments/schools running.
Loved this job
Administrative Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSOctober 20, 2016
I completed all clerical work. I arrived bright and early with the mail for the department. I sorted through it and issued it out. I answered phones. I learned to successfully multitask. My manager was a nice older lady that kept things in order. The most enjoyable part of my job was being trusted with the freedom to get the job done without immediate supervision.
I love my college
STUDENT WORKER (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSMay 28, 2016
My typical day at work was working in the computer lab assisting students with technical support issues and working in the front office assisting with clerical duties.
Productive Workplace that is very flexible with school hours
Grounds Crew Staff - Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSNovember 19, 2015
Assist and daily maintain the athletic fields at the university.
Management is flexible with hours as a student worker
Co workers are all friendly
hardest part of job is sometimes long continuous outdoor labor, ranking, shoveling etc..
Most enjoyable part of the job is being able to work in a flexible and easy going enviroment
Pros
Flexible, 2 separte breaks
Cons
low compensation
Work environment
Student Worker -Clerical (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSOctober 19, 2015
It was a family environment. I enjoyed working with the various administrators. I wish that I could have continued working there after I graduated.
Skilled Master Level Social Worker with Doctorate in Behavioral Health
Coordinator and Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  hattiesburg, MSSeptember 11, 2015
I have been in a supervisory role for over ten years. My work day consists of collaborating with other professionals to create a service plan for children with developmental disabilities and their families. The most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with families and witnessing them finding joy over their child doing what doctors say they would never do.
Exellent Place to Work
Windows System Administrator II (Current Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSAugust 1, 2015
Overall, I love working for USM. The campus is quite nice, and so are the people. There is lots of PTO and holidays, and the site has many amenities, such as an exercise facility, dining, on-site health care, and much more. Salaries are not on the high end, but if you can live with less money, you will gain much more in other areas.
Pros
Plenty of paid leave
Cons
Low salaries
Working with professors and students
Administrative Assistant - College of Health (Former Employee) –  Gulfport, MSJune 11, 2015
Worked with Professors to enter schedules for each semester and registering students for each semester. Loved the co-workers I worked with.
Pros
Interacting with students and professors
Cons
I have no cons
Was a very good place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSJune 8, 2015
Learned a lot from each department in which I worked while there for 13 years. I worked in Athletics and then afterwards transferred to the Academic side. Both were very beneficial and crucial for my career.
Just like home
HR Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSMarch 16, 2015
Good Atmosphere. Could have better pay and benefits. Typical day is meeting with faculty, staff, and student workers. The pace is usually fast.
Comfortable laid back work area
Desk Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSMarch 13, 2015
In all of my work history, I would have to day that this has been my favorite job. It is very flexible with my class schedule. The shifts are only 2 hour shifts and you can always split the shifts. For example, I might work 2 hours in the morning and come back and work 2 hours at night. This is an advantage in case I need time to go handle other priorities and also it gives me time to go to class and come back. On a typical day, I check residents in and out of the building upon entering and exiting. I assist residents in cases such as losing their room key or misplacing their student ID or having guests in the building. The hardest part would have to be when there are big events happening on campus and so many people are in and out of the dorm constantly and I have to keep up with everyone that is coming in and leaving out. The most enjoyable part is that I can basically be at school and at work at the same time, so in case I have class after my shift, I'm already on campus.
Pros
I can bring my laptop and do my school work while sitting at the desk.
Cons
Weekends are kind of boring because most of the residents are gone home.
Great Learning Experience
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSJanuary 7, 2015
This was an amazing opportunity as federal student worker. I learned the ins and outs of the lab, conducted research, assisted others, and even created the lab's first chemical inventory with safety analysis. Though this was not my first lab experience or first time working in a research lab with PhD's, Post Doctoral, or Masters's students, I learned a great deal about maximizing efficiency and adapting experiments as you go to counter mishaps and unforeseen errors in experimental design.
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSDecember 4, 2014
Everyone is helpful and encouraging, Everyone are team players. I have learned leadership skills and I love getting to interact with the students.
Great life experience
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSSeptember 22, 2014
I dealt with so many different people while I worked there. I worked on and off there for years...through high school and college and the experiences I got were priceless. Great place to work and go to school!!! SMTTT!!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The University of Southern MIssissippi. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2