The University of Southern MIssissippi Employee Reviews

Work environment
Student Worker -Clerical (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSOctober 19, 2015
It was a family environment. I enjoyed working with the various administrators. I wish that I could have continued working there after I graduated.
Skilled Master Level Social Worker with Doctorate in Behavioral Health
Coordinator and Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  hattiesburg, MSSeptember 11, 2015
I have been in a supervisory role for over ten years. My work day consists of collaborating with other professionals to create a service plan for children with developmental disabilities and their families. The most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with families and witnessing them finding joy over their child doing what doctors say they would never do.
Exellent Place to Work
Windows System Administrator II (Current Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSAugust 1, 2015
Overall, I love working for USM. The campus is quite nice, and so are the people. There is lots of PTO and holidays, and the site has many amenities, such as an exercise facility, dining, on-site health care, and much more. Salaries are not on the high end, but if you can live with less money, you will gain much more in other areas.
Pros
Plenty of paid leave
Cons
Low salaries
Working with professors and students
Administrative Assistant - College of Health (Former Employee) –  Gulfport, MSJune 11, 2015
Worked with Professors to enter schedules for each semester and registering students for each semester. Loved the co-workers I worked with.
Pros
Interacting with students and professors
Cons
I have no cons
Was a very good place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSJune 8, 2015
Learned a lot from each department in which I worked while there for 13 years. I worked in Athletics and then afterwards transferred to the Academic side. Both were very beneficial and crucial for my career.
Just like home
HR Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSMarch 16, 2015
Good Atmosphere. Could have better pay and benefits. Typical day is meeting with faculty, staff, and student workers. The pace is usually fast.
Comfortable laid back work area
Desk Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSMarch 13, 2015
In all of my work history, I would have to day that this has been my favorite job. It is very flexible with my class schedule. The shifts are only 2 hour shifts and you can always split the shifts. For example, I might work 2 hours in the morning and come back and work 2 hours at night. This is an advantage in case I need time to go handle other priorities and also it gives me time to go to class and come back. On a typical day, I check residents in and out of the building upon entering and exiting. I assist residents in cases such as losing their room key or misplacing their student ID or having guests in the building. The hardest part would have to be when there are big events happening on campus and so many people are in and out of the dorm constantly and I have to keep up with everyone that is coming in and leaving out. The most enjoyable part is that I can basically be at school and at work at the same time, so in case I have class after my shift, I'm already on campus.
Pros
i can bring my laptop and do my school work while sitting at the desk.
Cons
weekends are kind of boring because most of the residents are gone home.
Great Learning Experience
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSJanuary 7, 2015
This was an amazing opportunity as federal student worker. I learned the ins and outs of the lab, conducted research, assisted others, and even created the lab's first chemical inventory with safety analysis. Though this was not my first lab experience or first time working in a research lab with PhD's, Post Doctoral, or Masters's students, I learned a great deal about maximizing efficiency and adapting experiments as you go to counter mishaps and unforeseen errors in experimental design.
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSDecember 4, 2014
Everyone is helpful and encouraging, Everyone are team players. I have learned leadership skills and I love getting to interact with the students.
Great life experience
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSSeptember 22, 2014
I dealt with so many different people while I worked there. I worked on and off there for years...through high school and college and the experiences I got were priceless. Great place to work and go to school!!! SMTTT!!
This was a great place to work. Pay was frozen for entire tenure
Program Coordinator and Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, MississippiAugust 18, 2014
Advise students, teach, research
Every student is different
I had freedom to design and teach
Co-workers were friendly and supportive
No pay increases
Teaching face-to-face
Pros
great place to teach
Cons
pay was not satisfactory
Never work in MS
Head Cross Country/Assistant Track & Field (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSJuly 29, 2014
Avoid it at all costs, I've never met a group of people less motivated to do anything in all my life.
Great Position
Senior Internal Auditor, Office of Internal Audit (Current Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSApril 10, 2014
I have learn so much in audit. I have worked with USM for over 10 years. I have had great supervisors who were there for me always. They helped to let me have a work life balance
Pros
training
Cons
income
Great work environment with helpful people
IT Analyst (Current Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSMarch 19, 2014
Learned a lot. Co-workers are great. management is great. work day is pretty normal unless there are issues that are time sensitive
Its like one big family
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSJuly 26, 2013
The University of Southern Mississippi is like one big family. If you run into a situation that you need help with, you can readily find someone that is willing to take time out and help you.
Absolutely LOVED my job here!
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSJune 24, 2013
I really enjoyed working here! The ladies in the office were excellent!
Not a bad place to work
Telecom Installation and Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Hattiesburg, Ms.April 28, 2013
There are a lot of benefits (free education) but the overall environment is not the best I have worked in.
Pros
free education
Southern Miss has been through difficult days yet is a bright star in higher education
DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSFebruary 14, 2013
Regardless of internal leadership struggles at the president level, the university remains a quality place for a college education and a terrific place for a college experience that will benefit students for a lifetime.
Great Staff!
Graduate Assistant for Fraternity Housing (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSJanuary 15, 2013
Great environment to work. Good, honest, hard-working people.
Merging School with Work
WorkOut Zone Fitness Attendant (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSJanuary 7, 2013
I loved going to work everyday because I never knew who or what I might encounter. All of my co-workers worked well with each other and we were not afraid to ask for assistance. Time management was crucial in balancing school assignments with work tasks. Every employee had to communicate their time schedules of when job tasks could be accomplished.
Pros
networking within a youthful environment
Cons
can no longer be employed after graduation

4.2