The University of Tennessee Employee Reviews

Easy-going, great retail experience
Food Science Lab Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJuly 2, 2016
If helping high-end clients find the perfect outfit is what you enjoy, this would be a great job for you. Rush hour and sales can be challenging, but this job is perfect for multi-taskers.
A fantastic research and teaching institution
Teaching/Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNAugust 28, 2012
Working as a teaching and research assistant at the University of Tennessee was a rewarding intellectual experience. Sociology offers unique perspectives and frameworks for understanding ones place in this rapidly changing world. The benefits of working in this environment are immeasurable. Teaching students, grading papers, organizing class room activities, collecting research, analyzing data, theorizing change, interacting with professors and students from around the world with diverse backgrounds and variety of interests is an enriching and privileged experience. There is no separation of work and life in this context because your life is the work. An opportunity of a lifetime.
Pros
unique intellectual experience
Cons
low pay
The University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Administrative Support Assistant III (Current Employee) –  Bailey Educatin Complex 111October 6, 2015
I love working at The University of Tennessee. I love being involved with higher education and working with the students. I have taken advantage of going to school for free.
Pros
Benefits, work conditions, flexibility
Good College Job
Computer Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNFebruary 4, 2016
This job is ideal for a student attending the school and needing money. They allow you to do school work when you don't have a work related issue on your desk.
Living and working here is very comfortable.
Postdoctoral Associate/Researcher (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJuly 1, 2015
Working environment is very good. Not too much pressure from the department. The reason I work very hard is because I am in a new lab which needs a lot setting up(Biology research is always need extra hour in everywhere).

I learned how to manage time and builds a lot of skill sets in research. ORNL is national laboratory which have a lot world-top instruments and have very good collaborations to help us solving computational problems.

Here has low traffics, eating and shopping is very convenient. People don't spend too much extra hour for working. Most of the time, people here are very nice and trying to work smart rather than hard.
Pros
Lost costs, low traffic
Cons
Low pay, low competetion
Wonderful place to work. Loved my 30+ years there.
Accounting Specialist (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNDecember 3, 2014
I loved working at the University. There is so much opportunity to improve and to learn for FREE. Loved the people, the benefits and all that the university has done for me the past 30+ years. I could not have ask for a better place to work. I have retired here but work part time.
Pros
FREE education, discounts for my kids, holidays, leave time, great insurance
Cons
NONE...all is good. Love the University. Pay could be better, but oh well...
University of Tennessee
Academic Advisor (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJune 22, 2015
Seeing many students a week. Growing field, growing student body. Salaries not improving, no room for advancement. Require's Master's degree.
Fun place to work with a good culture and all-around dedication to the school
Adjunct Faculty; Graduate Teaching Associate (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNNovember 17, 2013
Teaching classes in the Physical Education Activity Program (i.e. conditioning, exercise and weight control, jogging, weight training, etc). Learned organizational and leadership skills, as well as principles of leadership and instruction. Coworkers were generally easy to work with; group work minimal. The hardest part of the job is dealing with student issues and complaints, especially concerning grades and attendance. Very fun classes to teach and good relationships formed.
Pros
use of equipment, gym and weight room. Office and computer/printer access. Insurance, monthly stipend, extra $ for teaching additional classes
Cons
Bugs/drippy pipes in the basement office
I loved working here
Down Under Recreational Employee (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMay 30, 2012
As a college student this is a great Job.
Management is great and I loved my Co workers too
I liked the fact that we were not micromanaged and were recognized for our achievements
Fun place and learning
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMarch 21, 2013
Good people around
Learning experience
Good work life balance
Challenging
Nice workplace, but lacking in some areas.
Lecture Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNNovember 20, 2013
It's hard to say, considering I worked here part time as a graduate student, but UTK seems like a nice place to work. My supervisors have been mostly competent, my coworkers are generally in good spirits, and I don't have many complaints. The only thing I know is that graduate students working in the sciences here may get paid differently based on their department. How the departments rank, however, I am not sure.
Interactive, Challenging Workplace
Research Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNAugust 10, 2012
A typical day involved a couple of hours out in the field doing research and the rest of the time was spent indoors in labs or libraries doing research. The hardest part of the job was making yourself stay focused to read through countless amounts of information. The most enjoyable part was getting to see the results of your hard work and determination.
Excellent polymer division with access to numerous instrumentation
Post-Doctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMay 14, 2014
UT has a very strong polymer program with access to almost any characterization or instrumentation available. Collaborations with Oak Ridge National Lab, allow for a unique experience in a nation lab setting. Distinguish faculty provide guidance of research groups allowing for the growth of novel ideas.
Great Place to Work
Admissions Counselor (Former Employee) –  Martin, TNDecember 3, 2011
I only worked with the University of Tennessee on a short-term basis prior to going to law school. For the few months I worked with the University, I learned a lot about working with students and different aspects of higher education. I would have continued with the school if I hadn't began school.
Pros
small town atmosphere, great people to work with.
Grad student, Teaching assistant, worked for the departsments of Chemical & Nuclear Engineering
teaching assistant (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJanuary 19, 2014
Very interesting work. Built some interesting research porjects.
Pros
Very informal and never knew what to expect
Cons
Not much pay and lots of hours, PARKING!!!!!
Great place to work at
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNNovember 11, 2014
It was great working here. It has very good infrastructure, facilities and people. I loved working with people from all around the world.
Multi Culture, Enjoy Learning
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNDecember 17, 2014
Flexible time, and huge resources of education, good professors, many projects, nice equipment.
Pros
Frindly peopole
Cons
No CPT
It depends who you work for.
R.A. /Computer Lab Manager (Former Employee) –  Knoxville,TNJune 6, 2012
Overall, it is good. But the faculty there focus on funding itself not eduction. Living cost is low.
Fun and productive time
University Center Activity Room Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Martin, TNJune 3, 2014
Flexible hours to work around college schedule
Great working envirornment
Learned how to react to different situations people bring to a facility
work study
Work Study Student (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNApril 16, 2014
I love being a work study student because it allows you to be able to complete your studies with a flexible schedule.
Pros
Extremely Flexible
Cons
only min. wage

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The University of Tennessee. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4