The University of Texas at San Antonio Employee Reviews in United States

Teaching is rewarding.
Director of Music Technolog (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 30, 2015
Teaching in incredibly rewarding, however, the institution could take better care of it's non tenure track instructors. The benefits were great, but the compensation is anemic at best. There was also little room for growth and little support for the discipline I am involved with. After 6 years of spinning my wheels, it was time to move on.
Pros
Peers, student interaction, health benefits
Cons
Poor compensation, little support, no room for growth, no campus life
Great health insurance, but horrible pay
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 6, 2015
Very low pay, and almost no work life balance. High positions pay extremely low when compared to other institutions. The health insurance is really good, and two weeks off for the holiday season in most departments. Good time off accrual as well.
Pros
Health Insurance Benefits
Cons
low pay, campus culture
A great learning experience and a good way to test myself.
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 17, 2015
utsa is great for all types of students. especially for those students that have their mind set and are ready to go out into the world with a profession.
Good experience
Teaching Assistant (TA) and Grader (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 31, 2015
Professional
Good work ethics
Good pay scale
Good structure
Worked 20 hours a week as Teaching Assistant
Easy to acquire leadership skills and good communication skills
Great place to start your education
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 24, 2015
University of texas at San Antonio, worked as a research assistant, supervisor was helpful. Nice place to improve your skills
it is a nice learning experience
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 2, 2015
UTSA is a very nice place to work, it is not stressful but quite challenging. i work with students which is quite challenging, different student, different approach. the professors are eager to put me through.
Office Receptionist
Campus Recreation Receptionist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 23, 2015
It was great. Lots of fun people to work with. I enjoyed my time there, but was also ready to move on. I would typically do a lot of paperwork...my job was a desk job but there are several other opportunities as well.
The University is trying to become a research oriented institution.
Teaching assistant (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 13, 2015
Very cozy, clean and modern (1960) campus. The faculty is research oriented and trying their best to find funding for the student.
Pros
very deep knowledge basis
Cons
construction work everywhere.
Thoroughly enjoyable job
Sports Announcer (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 10, 2015
Covering a UTSA athletic event, including football, basketball, volleyball and softball in a dream job. The athletic department is first-rate and goes out of its way to make your responsibilities as light as possible. The most enjoyable part of the job, aside of broadcasting the games, is the camaraderie fostered with my co-workers.
Pros
free food & refreshments
Cons
occasional inclement weather
A good place to work
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 15, 2014
The University of Texas at San Antonio is a great place to work no matter you are part-time or full-time.
They have a good management of their faculties and everyone is very kind and loves to help.
Pros
instate tuition
Productive and fun workplace with lots of friends
Graduate Research Assistant- Economics Department (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 14, 2014
The typical work for this position is to do budget planning, forecasting, cash-flow modeling, carried interest/waterfall calculations, IRR and cap-rate analyses, etc. I can learn a lot from the professors whom I was working for. The hardest part is that I have to do multiple tasks at same time since I worked for three professors. But it is also the most enjoyable part after all works being done.
Pros
flexible
Cons
health care
Ambition Not Required
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 24, 2014
Staff positions are highly sought after & difficult to get especially without internal connections; "who you know" is unfortunately a critical factor. Once "in" most employees are lifers & for good reason: great work environment & benefits in a highly stable workplace. However, for those same reasons, advancement is highly unlikely.
Pros
great work environment
Cons
advancement (raises!) highly unlikely
Referee
Referee (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 13, 2014
I was trained to referee Intramural sports at the Recreation Center for the University of Texas at San Antonio. I refereed softball, volleyball, and dodge ball. These games were meant to be noncompetitive but that was never the case, many of these participants were very competitive and argued every call. With that said I learned to stick with my calls and not second guess myself. While working as a referee I was encouraged to participate in the sports being played. During work, my teams would be scheduled to play so work consisted of both working and playing.
Nice workplace
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 4, 2014
Nice workplace. Really loved a lot. I learned a lot from here. Professor and friends are also supportive .
Pros
nice environment to work
Oversaw daily operation of Central Services
Assistant Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 16, 2013
Manage the staff of the department. Managed the accounts for the department. Train and evaluate the staff.
Pros
steady hours
Cons
pay
Great part-time job to have while working on undergraduate studies
Call Center Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 19, 2013
A typical shift lasted 3.5 hours on evenings Monday through Thursday and was filled with hard work bringing in donations for the university. As a caller I learned how to sell the product to the customers (product being donations and customers being UTSA alumni). As a supervisor I learned coaching and strategies for success to give to the callers, among other things. Management was always very flexible since workers in the call center were all students, supervisors included, but they did have expectations that we all were required to meet and did a great job expressing the expectations. Co-workers were always very pleasant. The hardest part of the job for many is meeting and improving upon the weekly statistics goals we would set for the callers, but it simultaneously was the most enjoyable part when you did meet those goals because it gives a sense of accomplishment and pride in the job.
Applies hands-on learning to the students of the class.
Teaching Assistant for Materials Engineering Class (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 4, 2013
I wake up every day of the week wanting to go to work and perform laboratory experiments with the students. This position not only displays my passion for teaching, but also sharing my knowledge and experience to the students.
Pros
excellent work environment, friendly and goal oriented staff
A productive work environment teaching adults the English language.
ESL Instructor (Specialist) (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 17, 2013
I teach three different classes of International students from all over the world. I enjoy teaching because I also learn many wonderful things about their countries. They are here to learn English and they are motivated to learn. I spent 40 % of the class time teacher centered and the other 60% student centered. By midterm the percentage of teacher centered goes down to 20 %. I enjoy doing lesson plans and I utilized many visual tools to engage the students. I use music, videos, power points and any realia to make each lesson exciting. Working for the University is an amazing experience. I love being at a four year public institution. The benefits are great. Compensation for the faculty is minimal.
Pros
the students appreciate me as their teacher.
Cons
compensation is minimal.
A good engineering school
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 24, 2012
A new building, latest technology materials, experienced and qualified professors

4.5