The University of Texas Employee Reviews

Great Univesity
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 8, 2017
UT Austin is simply amazing, it's one the best Universities that it can be out there. Cutting edge research, great proffesors, amazing facilities, services to students.
Pros
I had some of my happiest (intellectual and at the personal level) days over there
Good place to work - awful management
Austin, ITS Help Desk - Senior Consultant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 25, 2017
The work is alright. But it's the people you work with that make the job worthwhile. Management is friendly, and certainly not malicious - but generally incompetent.
Pros
relaxed work, good culture
Cons
bad management, bad organizational structure
Friendly environment with Accounting experience
Business Center Undergraduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  College of Engineering Dean's officeJuly 23, 2017
On a typical working day I usually process about six to eight documents. One of the specialist assigns me a request and I process it, submit it and track it throughout the approval journey. I have learn to focus my attention to one task at a time and included all the required documentation in the beginning. Working in the business center has taught me that communication is an essential part of a team. The hardest part of my job is to prioritize the assignments requested in a typical day. The most enjoyable part is to build a good relationship with your co-workers.
Good first job
STUDENT EMERGENCY SERVICES (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 3, 2017
I moved to Austin for a job at UT and it is a great community. However, compared to other large, public, urban universities, pay is not competitive and its hard to move up. There are some kinds of professional development.
UTSA - come here, go not too far
San Antonio Financial Aid Officer II (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 21, 2017
UTSA is a fine place to work. It's not the best job in the world, but it certainly isn't the worst. The overall pay leaves a lot to be desired, especially for the amount of work you are asked to do, but the benefits, and paid time off are very nice.
exactly what i was sold but not quite exactly what i experienced
Program Director, NSF AGEP (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 13, 2017
i was fortunate enough to have an amazing offer from UT to get my Ph.D. - then found out it was offered to me after the first chosen person rejected it. that sort of set the tone for my time there. i was simultaneously very well supported and somewhat let to slide. i was very largely responsible for this so no hard feelings, but things could've gone a bit better.
Great workplace with felixble schedule.
Computer Lab Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edinburg, TXJune 7, 2017
A typical day consists of attending meetings to analyze and plan deployments and issues in the computer lab environment. Some days are more technical requiring work on VDI, Imaging, Group Policies, Domain Security issues, Enterprise Print Management, Papercut and such.
Pros
Great Schedule, New Technologies, low stress
Cons
Pay isn't the greatest but some of the pros make up for that.
work life balance. With half the amount of people as compared to other companies, they get the same work done.
IT Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXMay 24, 2017
1. Good on-boarding for freshers into corporate world
2. Good coordination between teams across regions
Great Austin eenvironment
Software Developer/Analyst (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 7, 2017
The University of Texas at Austin was a fun place to work. It was very community oriented, and accepting of all walks of life. IT community is fantastic.
Fun work crew that works with students schedules
Fitness Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 4, 2017
Work schedule revolves around your class schedule, can trade shifts, very easy job and supervisors are nice to talk to. Great part time job for a student at UTSA
Pros
laid back environment, works around schedule
Cons
can't work more than 19 hours per week during school year
Great work opportunities for UT Students
Peer Counselor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 24, 2017
Most the positions at UT that are not related to academics are going to be most appealing to UT students. There really isn't much upward mobility, but they will often work with a student's schedule.
Pros
Short commute for students
Cons
Management can be apathetic
Supportive and rewarding environment
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 9, 2017
I have been at U.T.S.A. as a student or faculty for 17 years and it is a kind of second home. My colleagues in the Political Science Department are supportive and the University's desire to evolve and explore new approaches to teaching and student development poses challenges that prevent a simple and repetitive environment from developing. Additionally, interaction with faculty, administration, and staff from other departments and programs provides multiple opportunities to explore new ideas and approaches to achieving the broader goals of the University.
Pros
Engaging and supportive
Cons
Adjunct Faculty salaries and benefits are meager
Human Legos
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 7, 2017
For anyone who loves Legos and happens to be an artist, whether visual or musical, working there was like being a child again. Setting up and tearing down the stages for the acts coming into town was hard work yet extremely enjoyable.
I did this moreso for the fun aspect. I had jobs at the time I worked there. This was more of an opportunity to fulfill a wish to work behind the scenes at an event. It was also a part time / on call type of job.
Pros
Getting some exercise, some extra money
Cons
The potential to get hurt.
Great place to work.
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 3, 2017
Great learning experience. Provided administrative assistance (planning and coordination) for several faculty members within the Department of Translational Molecular Pathology. Provided direction and administration of established, new and developing Seminar Series (Stem Cells and Cancer, Alpha, and the Departmental Seminar), created and formatted presentations for all seminars to include organization. Managed and provided oversight for all aspects of KRONOS time keeping for the Department. Served as back-up for the Office Manager in performing HR related duties. Assist the Research Department Administrator with special projects.
Senior Information Technology Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 30, 2017
Wonderful place to work and grow, with a highly intelligent and supportive group of people. I was able to develop my skills in a highly technical environment, while mentoring those who followed me.
Excellent place to work
Office Manager - Full Time (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 25, 2017
Great place to work, great benefits, great people. Worked here for 30 years and have a great retirement at the age of 50. Couldn't ask for a better place to work.
Great school
Engineering Student (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 1, 2017
It's small campus at Houston location but it offers plenty of classes. The tuition for this school is cheaper compare to others. The staffs are very professional and high-skilled. Class size is also small, thus the interaction between professor and student is great.
Overall, it's quite impressive. I learn a lot.
Professional and fun work environment
Peer Mentor (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 27, 2017
Would definitely work here again! I learned a lot while being employed here and made great connections with students and faculty.
Fun place for college students
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 25, 2017
It is one of the largest public universities in the nation. The student body comes from a diverse background and all over the world. The fall semester is most exciting season on campus because of college football.
Pros
diverse campus culture
Cons
There is no medical school that is associated with medicine research
Fun Place to work
Graduate Assistant - Campus Computing Services (Current Employee) –  Tyler, TXFebruary 4, 2017
Great Staff, amazing people, lovely crowd. You will learn a lot if you work with the full time staff. The management is extremely talented.