The University of the Arts Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Work-Life BalancePay & BenefitsJob Security & AdvancementManagementCulture
An excited learning environment for ALL
Senior Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 31, 2012
As a alumni, I found it very shocking the amount you learn, as a teacher, from your students. I looked up to many of my teachers there, and still did as their peer and it was a joy to work next to some of the most talented musicians I've known. Walking onto the 6th or 7th floor and hearing all the students practicing, ensembles rehearsing and just the talk about shows, tests in music history and things of that nature made you feel apart of something electric. There was constant learning going on, not just with a teacher in the room during class hours.
The hardest part about being in an environment like this is OVER teaching. You want to give the students so much, especially when they are getting something and understanding concepts. It's about patience and understanding that there is a certain moment of overload that you don't want your students to get to.
I learned that preparation is key. Be over prepared. Have more than you think you need. Bring more work for them than you think, JUST IN CASE!
A well equipped office accompanied with a separate, fully functioning, Wood shop environment.
Wood Shop Supervising Assistant (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 6, 2015
A typical day at work consists of me turning on all shop machines if it hasn't already been done so. The rest of my shift I am in the Tech office doing personal work until my assistance is required by either my supervisor or a student. At the end of the day clean the shop to make sure its ready for use the following day.
An enlightening inner city work experience
Sr Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 13, 2013
Hardest: University Politics
Most enjoyable: interacting with students
Pros
dept had a box at the shubert theater
Cons
no source code to colleague at this site
Great Place to work
Production Technical Director (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 30, 2014
Job responsibilities included teaching students the fundamentals of Stagecraft, bring designer's designs to life for the stage. Drafting in vector works.
Pros
great students
Cons
no chance for personal development and growth
n/a
AAP Connect Leader (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 2, 2013
AAP Connect Leader
Photographing events
Editing (Lightroom, photoshop)
Creating collages
Posting photos online

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The University of the Arts. Our community is ready to answer.

4.7