The Valspar Corporation Employee Reviews in United States

The Paint Drop Good Idea- Bad Execution
Mobile Paint Specialist (Current Employee) –  The Paint DropOctober 29, 2015
The idea of a "mobile paint store" sounds nice on paper but the overall execution of this business model, in my opinion, was not the best. The frustration I face is trying to generate the sales of a brick-and-mortar paint store through a "food truck" sized store. Most of the business I was getting was simply touch up paint jobs, which take the most time and generate the least sales.

My opinion is Valspar should have started off with actual paint brick-and-mortar stores and presented them as factory direct paint stores such as Sherwin-Williams and PPG. The service with the mobile paint stores would have been the cherry on top of the business.

Don't get me wrong, the service it provides to the professional paint market is AWESOME, but the issue is trying to build the momentum on this when you're limited to how many painters you can service within an 8 hour shift.

I feel upper management doesn't listen to our voice as mobile paint specialists, even though we are the face of the business. The high morale and energy I once felt when I came on board soon faded and sadly I feel I am a part of a sinking ship.
Cons
No proper paint training
Work At Lowes
Territory Manager (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CaJune 19, 2013
Lowes is a very nice a friendly environment to work in. Management is nice and eager to please.

You mainly work in the paint department doing store merchandising, fill up color centers with paint sample chips, train store associates to sell Valspar. You also engage pro paint customers outside of Lowes and solicit their business.

Hardest part is balancing inside sales and outside sales. Its like you have two full time jobs.

Most enjoyable part is working inside Lowes - the stores are air conditioned and clean.
Pros
10 dollars a day for lunch
Cons
poor management style - u need to be defendable at all times
Good company for the most part
TERRITORY MANAGER, ARCHITECTURAL SALES (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 21, 2013
Entry level sales job. You work in a different store every day and the biggest part of the job is building and maintaining relationships with store associates/managers and commercial customers. A Territory Manager competes among others in your specified Region and earns a quarterly bonus of up to 30% of your quarterly salary based on sales performance.
Pros
company car, expenses
Cons
reports/paperwork
Overall diverse workplace
Quality Control Technician Resin Plant (Current Employee) –  Garland, TxJuly 8, 2012
Advancement options were limited once you have been in the company for many years.
Pros
multiple shifts
Cons
outside environment for most positions
Fun Place to work
Assistant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, PAJune 25, 2013
Always busy.
Easy commute.
This job gave me the opportunity to advance as Asst. Supervisor. I like that this place gives you the opportunity to advance from the beginning. We had a very close team.
Pros
fast advancemetn and alwasys count of free coffee at 5am
Cons
very long hours.
Good company to work for , Management was sending different messages to employees
Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  Mooresville, NCAugust 6, 2012
long days, building repore with all store personal, coworkers worked as a TEAM, misdirection from regional managers, everyday was a different challenge.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
promoted that we were the leaders but always followed competetors
Good company to work for - great fringe benefits
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Garland, TXNovember 29, 2012
The best thing about this job was the 401 k match and the option to purchase company stock. They have an excellent profit sharing plan and pay decent dividends. I was quickly able to build a significant amount in my account despite the downturn in 2008.
life balance/ ethics
Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  CTAugust 4, 2013
I strongly feel that while the company has an amazing product there ethics are poor in regards to there employees.
Daily work was enjoyable, meeting new people, obtaining new business, and always learning something new.
Pros
company fleet vehicle
Cons
un paid over time wages
Looking for growth
CUSTOMER SERVICE REP (Current Employee) –  Kankakee, ILSeptember 28, 2014
A typical day consists of entering sales orders and shipment releases.
Went from great to good.
TERRITORY MANAGER, ARCHITECTURAL SALES (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 26, 2014
Coaching and teaching is a daily but rewarding requirement.
Pros
expense account.
Cons
managment.