The Village Network Employee Reviews

The Village Network
Youth Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, OHFebruary 8, 2017
This is the most mismanaged company I have ever worked for. They are supposed to be a non-profit organization but that just is not the case. They claim they are there for the clients and employees but it is not true. If you want a job and no social life this may be ok for some people. Worked four twelve hour shifts and still got mandated at least twice a week. Turn over rate is about 40%. Management would not back you most of the time. I even brought the Teamsters Union in and unionized the Youth Care Specialists which helped some but management has the right to manage even though I would not call it managing. This is the Bethesda campus I am referring to. If you have a life steer clear of this company!
Pros
Helping clients. Decent healthcare.
Cons
Long hours, low pay, horrible management.
Amazing Learning Experience
Youth Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Wooster, OHJanuary 26, 2017
This company had its moments; however, it was an amazing learning experience. Prior to my resignation, knowing that I was making an impact on female youths life by being there to support them, redirect behaviors, use teaching moments, and run group helped me realize that I chose the right field. Had the supervisor taken my concerns serious enough in regards to the severity of an unhealthy attachment to me from a youth, I would still be employed with the company.
The Village Network
Internship (Current Employee) –  Youngstown, OHDecember 13, 2016
Typical day at work, you would see me doing an assessment with the client. I encouraged youth to discuss what they have learned about being a group member. I educate the youth on how being a group member can help them in the future. The hardest part of the job is trying to help others that doesn't need my help. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to work together with my co-workers.
Pros
fun activities
Cons
short breaks
Perfect job for someone with no life.
Night Youth Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Wooster, OHMay 16, 2016
If your looking for a job which cosumes your entire life this is the job for you! Perfect for the employee with no family & friends!

Ran out of room for my cons.

Cons: no structure on night shift. If problems arise then no assistance from management and when they do arrive to help they make situations worse. 10 hour shift with no breaks. Work every weekend and holidays. Repeatedly denied vacation time. Mandatory overtime without any notice (10 hour shift then Surprise your now working 18 hours). No set schedule in what cottage your working in which makes it almost impossible to build a reporte with the youth. Repeatedly having to go to classes on your days off to learn new routines that are never followed through with. Being called every name in the book by youth. Being threatned by youth. Actually being physically attacked by youth with whatever they can get their hands on (chairs, sticks, rocks, rolling pins, silverware etc.)
Pros
Actually getting through to the youth and bonding with them.
Cons
See below.
Burnout Central
Youth Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Wooster, OHMarch 20, 2016
Very difficult environment to work in. You are a cog in a machine; too busy herding kids and enforcing rules to spend any meaningful time with them. Management treats staff much like they treat the kids. No communication, lots of head nodding and smiling if you suggest something, and really no time to even talk to management or supervisors. The labor union has a nice racket going with the $250 initiation fees. By the time the fee is paid, most people have quit.
This place could be such an amazing place but the priorities are a little muttled. You take care of your staff, you improve your treatment approach.
YCS (Former Employee) –  Wooster, OHOctober 8, 2015
This company has so much potential. Staff are not properly trained before they are expected to do their jobs plus many things that are not their jobs. Supervision is not always properly done and management spends most of their hours in meetings while those directly affected are often not appropriately heard. Due to lack of training or quality workers, kids are not always properly supervised and kept out of danger. People who get in with the right higher management move up and those who rely on hard work do not.
Pros
Free Lunch, Unlimted overtime, beautiful facilities
Cons
Communication, low staff numbers, bad supervision or lack of being properly done, kids have more rights to defend themselves than staff
Bad management poor HR
Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Wooster OhioOctober 7, 2015
If u don't mind working 60 hours a week not seeing your family on the weekend for the first two years then yes you can advance in this job.
They will make you work 18 hours straight
The union is non existent
Rumors are in abundance
The CEO made the company 15 million last year and they start you out at 11.00
The maint staff take 5 days do a work order they send the maint staff to other locations in the net work to do work orders.
They lure you in at one wsge and offer different wages
Pros
Free lunch durning the day. benefits
Cons
18 hour days HR multiple managers
summary
Resource Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, OHSeptember 25, 2015
For the most part, a good company but they as any company have room for improvement. They could use some improvement in their training of new employees.
Great place to work>
YCS (Current Employee) –  Wooster, OHMarch 24, 2015
Anyone who writes poor reviews of this company is not thinking clearly!

This is by far the best place I worked. The company cares about its employees and often asks for input and feedback to improve work conditions and programs.

TVN is implementing a whole new clinical structure which has shown incredible results so far. Its an exciting place to be. Unfortunately it is a VERY difficult job that does produce high turnover, however there are a lot of long time employees here.

Many staff struggle with high level of accountability here which includes clinical and fiscal expectations. What these people don t realize, is this is what drives the organization, produces the great clinical outcomes and funds to expand services and offer great benefits and salaries.

I hope to be here for a long time. I love this job, the kids, my co workers and my bosses.
Pros
Company that cares
Cons
Demanding job.
New Management
Resource Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, OHMarch 21, 2015
I have found the management to be more structured the second time. The staff there now work as a team and have the clients best interest.
very poor place to work
Resource Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, OHMarch 18, 2015
Management doesn't care about staff at this location. Bethesda location is run differently than Wooster ' s main campus. Alot of favoritism and corruption.
Pros
being able to help the juveniles
Cons
everything
Good job
Clinical Case Manager (Current Employee) –  wooster, ohMarch 7, 2015
I have worked here about almost 1 1/2 years. My boss is wonderful. There's is a lot of turnover here. I work nights so it is very quiet.
Pros
Pay very well
Cons
turn over
Productive and fun place with fun workers
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Wooster, OHJanuary 10, 2015
This was place is a fun place to work and teaches you a lot about life.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
On call is required
Keeping looking-find something else
Youth Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Wooster, OHOctober 14, 2014
Bad company to work for. You will not have a life outside of the Village Network. All the mandated overtime. The only one positive thing I can say is the co-workers are fabulous. Everything else stinks. They do not help the kids, all they care about is money. All I can say if you are looking for a job, continue to look, do not stop at the Village Network.
Pros
Co-Workers
Cons
Everything Else
this job is the worst.
Resource Specialist (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHSeptember 13, 2014
This place has a very high turn over, each month a class is held to training new employees. This class has 20 to 30 people in it to replace the people who have quite or been fired from the month before. When i worked there only one person had been there longer then two years.

the employees are over worked to dangerous levels avg. Week could be 50 to 70 hours. So if you have a life or family outside of the village forget it. You will often be mandated to stay for any number of reasons. (I. E. Coworker calls of, kid to the hospital/ docdoctors appointment broke up multiple fights and have paper work.weekly staff meeting, mandated training 1 to 2 times a week, kid goes to jail/ court, the list goes on) if you think you can go home after working 8 hours its rare.

Staff that can not work the long hours are often thrown under the bus by management. Management has little regard for employees because employees are replaced often.

The residents come from detention centers or phyc. Hospitals. So they are angry and have very low regard for staff and the facility. (I.e. there are a lot of holes in the walls.) On avg. 1 to 12 fights a day. And always under staffed. 2 staff to 18 to 20 kids.

If you read all the bad reviews about this place is paints a good picture of what its like. Long hours, bad management, and unsafe children.
Pros
leaving to find better employment!
Cons
saddly i can't go lower then one star for this review.
Its an exciting place to be
YCS (Current Employee) –  BV Wooster CampusSeptember 5, 2014
Overall this organization is an awesome place to be. There are always those who will disagree; however, the current management is making changes to improve the culture and increase staffing levels at main campus.
The satellite locations run very well and are well staffed.
All locations are dedicated to the kids and show great outcomes.
The new clinical model and staffing patterns on main campus are going to be great! Its very exciting. In addition a mentoring program started for new employees, which helps new hires adjust to the residential schedule and work. What other company invests in staff like this?
As a newer employee, I think its a great place to be and I really like the job..
Pros
ALLSTAFF want to do the right thing for the kids. Well ran.
Cons
residential care is 24/7 and its rough to balance; dips in staffing from time to time make it rough.
unsafe environment... horrible management... its all about money
night youth care specialist (Current Employee) –  Wooster, ohAugust 7, 2014
This company was built on the foundation of helping troubled youth...this is not the case anymore....it is all about the money..

Something bad has to happen for them to do something......

Staff are worked extreme hrs ..16-20hrs a day...due to not being able to keep staff

Anyone who disagrees with the company..is a disgruntled employee
Pros
working with a lot of caring direct care staff..working with the kids
Cons
horrible management...unsafe...extreme hrs
horrible upper management...no job security
day youth care (Current Employee) –  Wooster ohJuly 29, 2014
Upper management is horrible...their theory of keeping employees happy is, giving them more benefits. While treating them like they don't matter...under staffed all the time...unsafe enviroment ....this company can not keep staff...no job security ....working with the clients, is the easy part of the job.

The benefits are good
Pros
benefits...if you are here long enough..working with clients
Cons
everything
excellent compensation
RESIDENTIAL SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Wooster, OHJune 1, 2014
The Village Network is a great place to work if you don't have a family and you can dedicate all your time to the job! The one thing I will say about the Village Network is that you are well compensated for the job you do. The draw backs would be that things change on a regular basic including your schedule with little to no notice. excellent
Pros
compensation
Cons
managemnt, job work/life balance
Lack of Saftey for Staff and Horrible Managment.
Resource Specialist (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJanuary 24, 2014
The Clients at the facility are dangerous, not only are there gangs and hardcore thugs that live there 24/7 it is also a step down for mental institution's and detention center kids. that makes for a great combination of crazy and more crazy.
The management could care less about the staff and there safety. you will always be over worked on Avg. worked 60 to 80 hours per. week. plus was always under staffed two staff for 18 to 20 crazy kids.
Was under paid as well. A normal facility's like this have more staff and better pay.
Zero job security. in a typical day is spent breaking up fights and writing paper work about those fights.
Over all it was a horrible experience, best word of advice about this company just keep looking something safer and better will come along.
Pros
Great co-workers.
Cons
Over Worked, Under Paid, Lack of Saftey, Lack of Management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Village Network. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6