The Village Network Employee Reviews

Productive workplace
Behavior Management Specialist (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 30, 2017
The job provides skills needed in order to understand and provide coping ideas for with kids dealing with trauma everyday of their lives. Co-workers are willing to help and management is available at all times to assist in you along your journey.
Fostercare
Foster Parent (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHOctober 29, 2017
The Village Network is the worse company to foster for. When allegations have been made against you, management will not assist you in any type of way. The black parents are treated less than while the white foster parents get preferred treatment. The Coordinator will lie and keep things from you to place children in your home. There is absolutely no support from staff at all. You are by yourself with these children in your home.Foster Parent beware of this company and go somewhere else.
Pros
helping children
Cons
Management and the lack of help
Behavioral Management Specialist (Current Employee) –  Wooster, OHSeptember 14, 2017
Working residential is stressful because it is 24/7, but I knew this going in. Other than that, the staff and leadership are super supportive.
Great culture and ethics. Top leadership really tries to improve the work and living environment for staff and youth.
Money is definitely reinvested in programs and kids.
I hope to be here a long and hope to advance.
Pros
Benefits, pay, staff, leadership
Cons
difficult kids, 24/7 residential
All depends on who you work with and who you choose to idolize
Server (Former Employee) –  OhioSeptember 5, 2017
There is an attitude that ethics and morals can be bought. There are some great people there, most go unappreciated and are used to garner praise for the top. Leadership lacks skills, understanding, vision and the ability to relate to those "below" them. Poor, poor culture for an agency that supposedly focuses on the welfare of others. Top heavy compensation structure, top down unaware decision making.
Pros
good benefit structure
Cons
BAD leadership, lack of respect for others, really outdated leadership that has very little ability to respect contributions and work of staff
A place that works hard to make changes in the lives of the youth that society has thrown away.
Youth Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Wooster, OHJuly 17, 2017
A typical day at TVN is the youth waking up in the morning, waking up, grooming, eating, then doing "details". Afterwards, the kids go to school and after that, lunch. They are given free time and then they attend therapy groups from 2p to 4p. After groups, they attend "family meetings", at which they conduct and discuss house business and/or concerns. Dinner is served between 5-530. they then do more details then meds are given between 7-730. At 8pm, the youths are given time to wind down called "quiet time" where all electronics are turned off for the evening and youths go to their rooms where they can read, play cards, etc., or they take showers or make phone calls. At 845, lights go out.

One of the many things I've learned at The Village is how to pick my battles and decipher when/where to let some things go.

The management at The Village is very thorough, making sure to keep things in compliance with state requirements and therefore promoting the safety of the youths which is their top priority and concern.

The workplace culture is excellent. The coworkers are a close knit group who always have one another covered.
Residential Care
Behavior Management Specialist (Current Employee) –  Wooster, OHJune 21, 2017
The Village Network is a great place to work. The youth have their moments as well as some staff but it is both fun and rewarding. I feel the big reason that people say negative things about it is because they did not realize the environment that they were getting into. Residential care is 24/7. It is challenging at times but when you build the relationships with the youth, and staff and supervisors everyone is in it together and I have really enjoyed it. Sure life happens and there are call offs and people cover that shift by working a double. That is all part of the life at a facility. The guys in the office care about you but you do need to offer some semblance of confidence, competence, punctuality and work ethic. The program supervisors are extremely dedicated and enjoyable. Also the pay is fair for the amount of work. If you care about the well being of youth and want to make a difference then come join us. If we can eliminate the "dead weight staff" we will be in a much better place but it is a process. It will take time I believe that it takes at least six months to really get a good grip on this job and understand the balance. If you want to dive in you can potentially work as many hours as you want.
Pros
Overtime, good people, youth that want to learn
Cons
Some days are more wonderful than others
Good at following directions
Server (Former Employee) –  Wooster, OHMay 31, 2017
I learned how to socialize with people well it was pretty hard because I'm only 16 and it was my first job but I did good. The most enjoyable part was socializing with people
Pros
Good worker can catch on the hold of things
Cons
A little hard to learn
No structure
Youth Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Wooster, OHMay 12, 2017
Bad work environment, stressful, a lot of made promises that aren't being fulfilled. Feels more of a daycare than a residential. Just there to ensure everyone is accounted for
Social work Intern (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 6, 2017
I really loved my time with the Village. The whole place is so comfortable and my supervisor really cared about what I needed for my internship. The hardest part of the job was the productivity hours.
Behavior Specialist (Current Employee) –  Wooster, OHMarch 24, 2017
TVN is a great place to work. They have reinvented themselves by expanding and changing services including their trainings.

My direct supervisor is incredible and the upper Management seems to really care about the kids and staff.
The CEO is down to earth and really in tune with the staff and kids. I truly believe he has the staff and youth best interests close to his heart. He continues to work with the staff to improve the organization.

My co worker for the most part are great and a joy to be around. This has been a great learning experience and I hope to be here a long time. The hours in residential are challenging as it is a 24/7 365 day program.
Pros
Management, Staff, Youth
Cons
Residential hours
What a turnaround!!!
YCS (Current Employee) –  Wooster, OHMarch 21, 2017
The training and education that we gave received over the last two years has been incredible. I have been a YCS for 5 years and it is refreshing to see all all of the punitive staff leave. We have a bunch of workers who believe in the new treatment approaches with some really tough kids. I love what i do and and feel good about the team i work with.
Pros
Free lunch, training, always something different
Cons
Some negative co workers, schedules ...not a fan of working 2nd shift all the time
Challenging and rewarding work
Treatment Level Child Advocate/ Foster Parent (Former Employee) –  Delaware, OHMarch 15, 2017
Treatment level child foster care. One often gets 1 hour notice of placement of kids. Children come into care with severe issues and families are often very defensive. Many times case plans are not worked and often children spend many years in the system.
Pros
working with children
Cons
cambative families
Great place to work!!!
Supervisor/Manager (Current Employee) –  Wooster, OHMarch 10, 2017
This is a very innovative company that does great things for kids.
Staff benefits are great and the supervisors treat their employees well.
Upper management makes a real effort to connect with direct care staff and they are very accessible and always open to listening to staff.
Pros
management, benefits, pay
Cons
could be long hours
The Village Network
Youth Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, OHFebruary 8, 2017
This is the most mismanaged company I have ever worked for. They are supposed to be a non-profit organization but that just is not the case. They claim they are there for the clients and employees but it is not true. If you want a job and no social life this may be ok for some people. Worked four twelve hour shifts and still got mandated at least twice a week. Turn over rate is about 40%. Management would not back you most of the time. I even brought the Teamsters Union in and unionized the Youth Care Specialists which helped some but management has the right to manage even though I would not call it managing. This is the Bethesda campus I am referring to. If you have a life steer clear of this company!
Pros
Helping clients. Decent healthcare.
Cons
Long hours, low pay, horrible management.
Amazing Learning Experience
Youth Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Wooster, OHJanuary 26, 2017
This company had its moments; however, it was an amazing learning experience. Prior to my resignation, knowing that I was making an impact on female youths life by being there to support them, redirect behaviors, use teaching moments, and run group helped me realize that I chose the right field. Had the supervisor taken my concerns serious enough in regards to the severity of an unhealthy attachment to me from a youth, I would still be employed with the company.
The Village Network
Internship (Current Employee) –  Youngstown, OHDecember 13, 2016
Typical day at work, you would see me doing an assessment with the client. I encouraged youth to discuss what they have learned about being a group member. I educate the youth on how being a group member can help them in the future. The hardest part of the job is trying to help others that doesn't need my help. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to work together with my co-workers.
Pros
fun activities
Cons
short breaks
Perfect job for someone with no life.
Night Youth Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Wooster, OHMay 16, 2016
If your looking for a job which cosumes your entire life this is the job for you! Perfect for the employee with no family & friends!

Ran out of room for my cons.

Cons: no structure on night shift. If problems arise then no assistance from management and when they do arrive to help they make situations worse. 10 hour shift with no breaks. Work every weekend and holidays. Repeatedly denied vacation time. Mandatory overtime without any notice (10 hour shift then Surprise your now working 18 hours). No set schedule in what cottage your working in which makes it almost impossible to build a reporte with the youth. Repeatedly having to go to classes on your days off to learn new routines that are never followed through with. Being called every name in the book by youth. Being threatned by youth. Actually being physically attacked by youth with whatever they can get their hands on (chairs, sticks, rocks, rolling pins, silverware etc.)
Pros
Actually getting through to the youth and bonding with them.
Cons
See below.
Burnout Central
Youth Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Wooster, OHMarch 20, 2016
Very difficult environment to work in. You are a cog in a machine; too busy herding kids and enforcing rules to spend any meaningful time with them. Management treats staff much like they treat the kids. No communication, lots of head nodding and smiling if you suggest something, and really no time to even talk to management or supervisors. The labor union has a nice racket going with the $250 initiation fees. By the time the fee is paid, most people have quit.
suffocating enviroment
Resource Specialist (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHMarch 17, 2016
Typical day was long and somewhat rewarding. The clients were form the age of 10 to 17 years old. They proved to be very difficult and the management wasn't approachable at all. It was very difficult to work there.
This place could be such an amazing place but the priorities are a little muttled. You take care of your staff, you improve your treatment approach.
YCS (Former Employee) –  Wooster, OHOctober 8, 2015
This company has so much potential. Staff are not properly trained before they are expected to do their jobs plus many things that are not their jobs. Supervision is not always properly done and management spends most of their hours in meetings while those directly affected are often not appropriately heard. Due to lack of training or quality workers, kids are not always properly supervised and kept out of danger. People who get in with the right higher management move up and those who rely on hard work do not.
Pros
Free Lunch, Unlimted overtime, beautiful facilities
Cons
Communication, low staff numbers, bad supervision or lack of being properly done, kids have more rights to defend themselves than staff