The Vitamin Shoppe Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Fun and relaxed workplace.
Sales Audit Analyst (Former Employee) –  North Bergen, NJSeptember 18, 2017
Everybody matters, from the customers to the employees, The company really strives to create a fun, healthy, and positive atmosphere in the workplace.
Decent place to work
Assistant Manager/ customer service (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 18, 2017
They do train you to know about the products. Easy to be promoted if your dedicated. I started as a part time sales associate and was promoted to full time in 4 months. Then trained for management in a year.
Productive and quick-paced work environment
Key Holder/Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CASeptember 11, 2017
I've enjoyed working at the Vitamin Shoppe because of my passion for the health and wellness industry. Over the years, I have learned how to be an effective manager by working with team members to meet daily sales goals. My skills in customer service have grown as well as my training of new associates in product knowledge and sales techniques. The hardest part of the job is trying to meet quarterly sales goals in what can be a challenging retail environment. The most enjoyable part of the job is collaborating with my other team members as we engage with customers in a positive and upbeat manner.
Over worked under paid
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VASeptember 11, 2017
Drastic payroll cuts. No work/life balance. Store Managers work well over 45hrs per week and are paid salary so no OT pay. Set up to fail, Increased tasks with limited payroll and task time only off store business hours. Minimal floor coverage due to payroll cuts limiting your ability to successfully assist customers and meet business adjectives. District Manager has lost 8 Store Managers in a district of 14 in less than 1 year.
The Company for those with nowhere to go.
ASM (Current Employee) –  WisconsinSeptember 7, 2017
This place is just sad. No advancement. Managers are hardly literate, the pay rivals a fast food chain and that pretty much sums it up. The company is hopefully more knowledgable than the districts that they seem far too disconnected from.
Pros
You don't have to use your brain.
Cons
Horrible pay, laughable store and district management. No growth.
na
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Jackson, TNSeptember 6, 2017
Great Company to work for, If you love helping people it's the job for you. Lots of hands on learning, extra information provided to enhance your knowledge,
Going downhill rapidly
Employee (Former Employee) –  TennesseeSeptember 5, 2017
Just check out their stock price. It's plummeted. As a former employee, I can say that the management has no idea how to connect with customers and mostly gets in the way of letting us provide our "branded customer experience" or whatever ridiculous phrasing they are using now.
Productive, learn alot
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 2, 2017
Depending on your manager its not a bad place to work. Customers can be rude and stress you out. My old manager didnt like me so did she not promote me. I prayed and she left. My new manager promoted after being there and knowing me for 72 hours.
Pros
Learn alot
Cons
Personal days, time off, cut hours, rude customers, No overtime
Work/Life Balance work environment
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCSeptember 2, 2017
- Great work environment
- Good compensation relative to similar positions in the market
- Very limited advancement due to no one wanting to leave.
- Very customer and employee centric company.
- Most enjoyable part of the job is the knowledge of supplements that the company provides for you
Pros
Discount, healthcare, compensation, work/life balance
Cons
Advancement
Fun but becoming a more aggresive sales environment.
Understand key sales metrics and how to plan (Current Employee) –  Algonquin, ILAugust 31, 2017
Health and wellness is what I love and is what the Vitamin Shoppe is all about. innovative company trying to find its way in a volatile retail environment.
Pros
Discount on supplements
productive and fun work place for health motivated individuals
Health Enthusiast (Former Employee) –  Gilroy, CAAugust 30, 2017
i would clock in for work, look at the daily dose on what the task where for the day and what exactly needed to get done. i learned alot as far as health related.
Very relaxed work environment.
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 28, 2017
Depending on where your store is located, you could either have very busy days or very slow days. The Vitamin Shoppe is a good place to work because you learn as you work. You learn about customers as well as about health. In a managerial position, it is not as stressful as a person would think. It is actually my most enjoyable job to date.
Pros
Discounts on products.
Cons
Hours aren't very flexible.
Health and fit life style work balence
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Astoria, NYAugust 25, 2017
Have a game plan for the day as I walk in, see ly and plan and how can i make goal. Also make goal on our branded products. We have set tasks for the day. Also built on our talent and coach a team member when needed.
Pros
We can have a set schedule, life style fits to work balence
Cons
job advances
good job if retail is your journey
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Burnsville, MNAugust 25, 2017
The manager is awesome but the other assistant is negative and snarky with customers and employees. I enjoy helping others' though learning about products is challenging unless done on your own time. The job is changing with the market which is great but asking customers 20 questions about signing up for the loyalty program, auto-delivery, and such is pressured/frustrating when the company wants success with auto delivery program. Shifts can be long but my manager does a great job of accomodating time off but the personal life/job balance is off especially when in a relationship. Training just depends from store manager to store manager but getting raises is tough even with the computer training.
Pros
breaks
Cons
discount for third party products
Good pay hard to maintain work/life balance
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  La Verne, CAAugust 25, 2017
I loved the perks of the job. Great customer interaction, competitive pay, health benefits and discounts. The downside is the long hours of work, r as a store manager you are required to work 45 inconsistent hours a week. Lots of stress of trying to hit, numbers, and company is constantly changing to keep up with the competition, driving employees harder with less focus on the customer.
Fun, educational, room for advancement
Manager (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaAugust 22, 2017
Opportunity for growth if one applies themselves. Pay and bonuses are good. Great hours for balancing work and home life. Great coworkers and upper management.
Pros
Pay, hours, education, advancement
Cons
Company had uncertainty going forward, benefits kinda pricey
Oportunity to make a difference in other's lives along with running a business.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Los Altos, CAAugust 21, 2017
Leader of the building, including: Human Resources, Operations,
Customer Service, Marketing, and Inventory Control.
Responsible for all human resources; on boarding and off boarding
of team members.
Training of team members – grooming for succession and creating
a talent bench.
Conflict resolution / corrective actions for all team members.
Implementing all marketing programs, both in store incentives and
external networking.
Inventory control practices such as zero on hand scans and cycle
counts, along with prep and execution of annual physical inventory.
Not enough pay, but pretty good overall
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 21, 2017
Vitamin Shoppe is a pretty good place to work. Working in a place where the focus is healthy things like supplements and healthy snacks draws a certain clientele and a certain kind of job applicant. Most of the colleagues and management are positive people and the same goes with the clients with the exception of a few grouchy unhealthy people who might be there by doctors orders.

The pay is a bit low. That's the biggest downside. You have a lot of responsibilities and little time to stand still, but a lot of similarly paying jobs are easier. The upside is that Vitamin Shoppe isn't nearly as stressful, and there really is a clear career track if you stay there long enough. You can definitely go from hourly to key holder to assistant, to manager within something like 5 years if you stick around.

The management know what they're doing. It isn't like other retail where some under educated dropout will be your boss telling you to do obviously detrimental things just because they want to exercise control over you. The tasks you perform help business, help keep the store clean, and help everything run smoothly. Your boss will almost certainly know more about retail management then you; and that's a good thing.
Pros
Clean, friendly, good advancement
Cons
Low Pay
Continual Learning & Positive Interaction
Sales Associate/ Health Enthusiast (Current Employee) –  Brownsville, TXAugust 18, 2017
If you enjoy the world of health and wellness, the job is enjoyable. There is much to learn because there are many, many supplements! At times is seems overwhelming because of all the different products, but good co-workers will understand and assist with the learning process. Helping people find products that will lead them towards their fitness and wellness goals is super satisfying, as that was my highlight from the job. Make good relationships with your co-health enthusiasts and time spent at The Vitamin Shoppe is fun!
Lots of Task Work
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Leominster, MAAugust 18, 2017
Standard retail setting restocking shelves, rotating products, keeping store clean, helping customers to find what they need. Task work is delegated by the store manger through out the week. Culture is fun and easy going.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Vitamin Shoppe. Our community is ready to answer.