The Vitamin Shoppe Employee Reviews

Fun and entertaining work experience
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Caguas, PRMarch 16, 2017
Working at the Vitamin Shoppe is a very pleasant experience each and every day. Every customer comes in with a certain necessity and even though we are trained in (Wellness and in Fitness), every case is very different. I enjoy having to do research to help customers with certain special conditions that require more information for me to assist them. Learning is something that never ends at the Vitamin Shoppe. As part of the management team, we ensure that we keep track of numbers constantly so everyone is on the same page, looking to make the goal.
Productive work place
Health Enthusiast (Current Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYMarch 1, 2017
It's an excellent job and like most, can have it's ups and downs.
Gives everyone an opportunity to grow with the company and raises are offered.
Its all about management. If your store has a good team, then you will have a good time. I don't mind my job and I do like it a majority of the time.
Sometimes there are unrealistic expectations, but always shoot for the stars. Depending on your managers, that may not be enough.
Pros
Good break times, Good location and company, Very eduational
Cons
Unrealistic expectations, belittling efforts, negativity when wrong criticism is placed
Selling Vitamins and Learning
Sales Associate Full Time (Former Employee) –  Huntington Station, NYFebruary 24, 2017
At The Vitamin Shoppe I learned much about alternative medicine.
I was able during down time to read books that we had for sale and this piqued my interest in furthering my knowledge of the nutrition industry.

The hardest part of that job for me personally was the DAILY deliveries we would get. This took me away from the customers as I had to stock shelves.
The most enjoyable part for me was interacting with the customers and learning from them as well.
Pros
Just working in the business
Cons
Not much room for advancement.
Not for long-term
ASM (Former Employee) –  OhioMarch 7, 2017
The corporate structure of the Vitamin Shoppe has gone downhill in the past few years. I have worked for this company for quite some time, and in an effort to stay relevant, corporate has instilled many new procedures that are difficult to maintain in addition to the work we already do. The hours have changed, the demands have increased, yet the pay has remained the same. I enjoy my discount and the relationships I have formed with customers over the years, but it becomes difficult for me to enjoy my job when I am being micro managed.
Amazing company with drive and purpose
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJanuary 18, 2017
Customers are The Vitamin Shoppes top priority. Regardless of task or operation customers are always taken care of. Being employed by The Vitamin Shoppe for over 12 years I have grown not only as a manager but as a person as well. Management is organized very well and follow the chain of command. Stores/Teams are very tight knit and work hard for each other. Hardest part of job is balancing giving every customer excellent customer service and maintaining all aspects of operations and tasks. By far this have been the best company i have work for.
Pros
Ability to grow in your own health and wellness journey
Unfortunate experience from the beginning
Health Enthusiast (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 20, 2017
The manager whom hired me was apparently a psycho and was on her way to being relieved of her position, the manager after this lowered my hours to the point I was unable to pay my bills, and his way of "helping me" was to relate how insufficient his own pay was, on top of this, my co-workers were two-faced and attempted to get me in trouble after giving the impression it was a relaxed environment (I know not to trust co-workers more so than I had before, now). To conclude my time there, they decide to lay me off, since the number of locations were few and no one wanted to place, so the new hire after me gets placed, and I get dropped.
Pros
customer service
Cons
untrustworthy, terrible severance procedures (snail mail), uncompensated shipping
Convenient location; excellent corporate philosphy; great team playing co-workers
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJanuary 6, 2017
Excellent corporate philosophy.Store manager was not as competent for job due to health issues and being new to The Vitamin Shoppe. Schedules had no rhythm and it was difficult to plan life around last minute job schedules even as a part time employee. Manager promised to plan schedules out 2 weeks in advance, but did not do so during my employment at The Vitamin Shoppe.
Pros
Employee Discounts
Cons
Management not up to par; assistant manager ran store
Trials and tribulations, white washing, and rude, enabled customers.
keyholder (Current Employee) –  VirginiaJanuary 5, 2017
The vitamin shoppe was at one time, a place I loved...so much so I decided to work there. Every job has its up and downs, but this company just seems to be spiraling down the toilet. between severe hour cuts and a company that cares more about the customer being right than the safety of the staff. Inexperienced upper management that are just unprofessional and crude. To only way you get favor and moved up is if your skin is of a lighter variety. The work hours are pretty good and the few friends that you pick up along the way makes it a little worth it, but I wouldn't suggest to anyone I cared about to work here.
Pros
healthcare...if you're fulltime. No Holiday hours, no black friday. closed by 9pm
Cons
everything else
Productive and fun environment to be employed at.
Customer Service /Sales (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLFebruary 4, 2017
I worked for the Vitamin Shoppe for almost 3 years and I would like to say they treated me with kindness and fairness from the very beginning. The staff was great at the location I worked at. Everyone treated everyone else with respect and showed support for our team and our customers.
Pros
Employee Discounts.
Cons
Short breaks.
The beginning of the end
IT Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  New JerseyDecember 15, 2016
Friendly people, corporate policies that benefited the employees. The company is great at communicating their plans and ideas at their quarterly meetings.

Unfortunately, the upper management has zero respect for hard work and the total lack of professionalism.
Pros
Discounts for supplements and protein.
Cons
Inconsistent hours and low pay for the amount of work that you do every day with 0 recognition.
Productive, friendly, caring, and much more!
Part Time Manager (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PAMarch 27, 2017
In my personal opinion I think the Vitamin Shoppe has been an outstanding place to work. They have taught me so many different techniques and responsibilities that I will one day use for my career. The Vitamin Shoppe works around my schedule along with the other employees who work there. We have a great connection among all the employees, and it's never an uncomfortable place to work. I have learned management skills, communication skills, the nutrition facts about supplements I never thought I would know. I have learned over 400 different products and the unique importance of each of them. The hardest part of my job is getting a customer who can simply not be satisfied. The most enjoyable part of my job is making a customer happy, and giving them a product they truly need and or can benefit from.
Pros
The people
Cons
nothing
Decent Employer
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 5, 2016
This was my first time working retail. Employees are nice and helpful to customers and co-workers and management is easy to approach. I learned about supplements (health and sports), homeopathic and essential oils. The most enjoyable part of the week was processing shipment as it makes the day go by faster and assisting customers and seeing them return because we had gained their trust and business.
Pros
Good work/home life balance
Cons
Benefits and Pay
Not a difficult job, but not worth it for the money
Picker (Former Employee) –  Ashland, VAJanuary 19, 2017
The job itself isn't necessarily difficult, it's the fact that they have no concept of work-life balance. They give you the option of 4 - 10 hour days or 5 - 8 hours days. but then they demand overtime and weekends, so everybody ends up working 58-60 hours with only one day off. It's really not worth breaking yourself for the bar minimum of $10/hr.
Fun work place awesome manager.
Health Enthusiast/Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Maplewood, MNMarch 10, 2017
All around a great place to work, manager is awesome which is a plus, not much room for advancement and schedule is never set always changing which is usually due to the retail atmosphere.
Pros
Discount supplements, fun workout place, awesome manager
Cons
schedule always changing, not much room for advancement
Used to be much better
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  NCMarch 1, 2017
When I first began the job was very enjoyable and there was not as much pressure on employees. Management was very easy to get along with and it overall was less like a job when you went to work. I progressed from part time sales associate, through key holder, and all the way to assistant store manager. I will forever be thankful to prior management who felt confident enough in me to take on these new roles with no prior experience. Now with the direction the company is going in and having a new store manager who did not start off with the company, I feel that my time with the company has ran its course. The first 3.5 years in this job will forever be the best experience in my life and it is bittersweet that it had to end.
Pros
Great discount, Great Benefits, opportunities for advancement
Cons
Pressure from above management, new policy changes, new management.
Co workers are ok, but sometimes there's drama, and the older people are immature
Health Enthusiast (Current Employee) –  Ashland, VANovember 21, 2016
It typical day at work... depending on how much work we have could be very long and boring
I've been doing the same thing for 2 years now, so it isn't much more to learn
Management is soso because the job is only been there for a short time so, they still more work to do
I'm cool with all of my co workers, but some of them could immature at times
The hardest part, is getting through the long 10 hour day. It's gets really boring
It's not really that enjoyable, but the work isn't really that hard
Pros
Off on weekends
Cons
Want more pay, some people are very immature
A wealth of knowledge for those interested in Health
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 21, 2016
Working for the Vitamin Shoppe is very different from your standard retail environment. You're not just a sales clerk, you're a nutritionist, a health advisor, a therapist and so much more; all of which falls under the title of "Health Enthusiast". You'll be invested in the health and well-being of every customer that walks in the door, and you have a genuine opportunity to help improve the lives of your customers.

9+ hour shifts are not uncommon, managers also have to be able to cover call-outs which makes having a life outside of work very difficult.
Pros
Paid training, sales incentive programs
Cons
minimal staffing, rough hours, poor work/life balance
Comfortable, fun workplace with continued learning.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAFebruary 27, 2017
I very much enjoyed working here during my time. A friend referred me for the job which got me one of my favorite jobs and a cash bonus for him. The management were friendly and helpful and facilitated my continued learning of merchandise, customer service and sales, and also scientific information on products. I never worked past 10pm and received raises each time I completed a learning block in their training program. I learned a great deal of information about things I loved and used and about things I wasn't interested in but could use to help others. The management team I worked with is no longer there, but they became like a family to me.
Pros
Comfortable workplace, non-strenuous work, discounts on merchandise, great coworkers, good hours
Cons
Somewhat low pay, limited maximum hours for part-time employees, had to cover visible tattoos (dress code)
rewarding job due to customer happiness and reviews based on our reccomendation
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Torrance, CA 90503January 20, 2017
fun and energetic staff, including a hard working and fair management. most enjoyable part of my job is the regular customers who love our help. the hardest is balancing alot of tasks for all of us although done effectively.
Fun place, But horrible pay
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKDecember 5, 2016
If you're stuck in a rut and need some cash while gaining a tin of information about vitamins and protein, Vitamin Shoppe is a great place.

If you're a meat head that wants a good discount and learn more about what you're putting in your body, Vitamin Shoppe is a great place.
Pros
Tight Schedule, Close team
Cons
Tight Schedules

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Vitamin Shoppe. Our community is ready to answer.

78%