The Vitamin Shoppe Employee Reviews

fun
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Ontario, OHDecember 8, 2016
involvement with customers and with the day to day activities is always a great day. Helping the customer get the results they want is a satisfying feeling.
Great company, too much work though.
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCDecember 7, 2016
Great company to work for that provides full time benefits. Several positions available from part time to full time management, with room for personal growth.
Pros
benefits, job security, discounts
Cons
work alone often, highly demanding, inconsistent scheduling
Fun place, But horrible pay
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKDecember 5, 2016
If you're stuck in a rut and need some cash while gaining a tin of information about vitamins and protein, Vitamin Shoppe is a great place.

If you're a meat head that wants a good discount and learn more about what you're putting in your body, Vitamin Shoppe is a great place.
Pros
Tight Schedule, Close team
Cons
Tight Schedules
Decent Employer
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 5, 2016
This was my first time working retail. Employees are nice and helpful to customers and co-workers and management is easy to approach. I learned about supplements (health and sports), homeopathic and essential oils. The most enjoyable part of the week was processing shipment as it makes the day go by faster and assisting customers and seeing them return because we had gained their trust and business.
Pros
Good work/home life balance
Cons
Benefits and Pay
good place to work
Key holder (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALDecember 1, 2016
the environment was friendly and it was an enjoyable experience. i also enjoyed this being one of my first times being in charge with the position of key holder.
Mediocre
Health Enthusiast (Current Employee) –  East Hanover, NJNovember 25, 2016
Management can definitely use improvement. Safety as well. More security defivces needed. It's a great cooperation as a whole, just certain locations need work
A wealth of knowledge for those interested in Health
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 21, 2016
Working for the Vitamin Shoppe is very different from your standard retail environment. You're not just a sales clerk, you're a nutritionist, a health advisor, a therapist and so much more; all of which falls under the title of "Health Enthusiast". You'll be invested in the health and well-being of every customer that walks in the door, and you have a genuine opportunity to help improve the lives of your customers.

9+ hour shifts are not uncommon, managers also have to be able to cover call-outs which makes having a life outside of work very difficult.
Pros
Paid training, sales incentive programs
Cons
minimal staffing, rough hours, poor work/life balance
Co workers are ok, but sometimes there's drama, and the older people are immature
Health Enthusiast (Current Employee) –  Ashland, VANovember 21, 2016
It typical day at work... depending on how much work we have could be very long and boring
I've been doing the same thing for 2 years now, so it isn't much more to learn
Management is soso because the job is only been there for a short time so, they still more work to do
I'm cool with all of my co workers, but some of them could immature at times
The hardest part, is getting through the long 10 hour day. It's gets really boring
It's not really that enjoyable, but the work isn't really that hard
Pros
Off on weekends
Cons
Want more pay, some people are very immature
Great team with great direction and willing to change with the times
District Manager (Current Employee) –  New YorkNovember 17, 2016
Very nice company to work for. Nice sense of where they are within health and wellness. Take information from all levels. Continue to evolve and change.
Great place
Key-holder- Part Time (Current Employee) –  Voorhees, NJNovember 16, 2016
Great place to work. You just need a certain mentality and/or personality to work there. If you are a very reserved or laid back person, they tend to not want to keep you around as much. Their emphasis is customer service but their belief is that their employees need to be over the top.
Loved this job
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 14, 2016
This job was by far my favorite job, the environment was always enjoyable, my coworkers were the best, and customers were generally very friendly. Have nothing really negative to say about the store.
Fun low pressure work place
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSNovember 7, 2016
The Vitamin shoppe is a great company to work for. They are very down to earth and have a great culture that they strive for. Not a very high stress environment.
Fun laid back place to work
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDNovember 5, 2016
Good place to work although the pay could be a little higher and the scheduling makes it very difficult to balance a work and home life. But thats with all retail.
Fun workplace promoting wellness and utilizing management skills
Key Manager (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXNovember 3, 2016
I performed many of the same duties as a supply clerk in the military. Managed my team with effectiveness and also performed the duties of ordering and stocking the store on a bi weekly basis. Fun and hard working crew.
Pros
consistant pay
Cons
Fun and motivational workplace.
Sales Associate/Health Enthusiast (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 2, 2016
Alot of customers are friendly. All associates must know their products to avoid giving false information. Learned alot of information on all types of products.
Pros
Discount, get new products, friendly work environment
Cons
Pay is low. Short lunch breaks
N/a
District Manager (Former Employee) –  New JerseyOctober 31, 2016
-The culture of the company was not the right fit for me
-Overall Compensation was good and within realm of other retailers
-Learned about vitamins and supplements
Pros
N/A
Cons
N/A
Great supplement knowledge
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Baytown, TXOctober 29, 2016
The company itself is great. Manger doesn't close Friday or Saturdays. Doesn't work shipment either. If you become sick, she becomes sick too. It's annoying. The company pays half of your insurance and great benefits. Overall the company is great, working at this location I would definitely reconsider.
Benefits
Cons
Store manager
Hindrance to personal growth
Acting Manager (Former Employee) –  Happy Valley, OROctober 28, 2016
I worked at Vitamin Shoppe for three years, dedicating my entire life to the place making sure things were perfect. Only to be kicked to the curb because I had trouble being within 30 seconds of my shift start time even though I was moved to a new location against my will that was a 1 hour drive from my house.
Pros
Liked the people I worked with
Cons
They failed to recognize talent.
The company is focused upon providing health-related guidance in a compassionate and communicative manner.
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNOctober 25, 2016
The main focus is customer service and engagement. Doing so requires a strong, collaborative team built upon trust and communication. Any tasking is immediately halted when a customer walks in the store, and each customer is given our full and undivided attention. The overall goal is to provide a supportive and welcoming environment, so that customers feel safe sharing their health concerns with the staff. By responding to each customer's needs with knowledgeable understanding, we are able to connect them with the products best suited for them. Not only does this influence our sales in a positive way by reducing returns and building rapport with the community, it gives the employees validation that their hard work translates into real-world benefits for other people.
Pros
Rewarding work environment, sales-based bonus incentives, excellent benefits program.
Cons
Limited advancement opportunities.
Good starting place for those growing a career
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Mishawaka, INOctober 24, 2016
This company is one of the most well known names in the health and wellness industry. They have average retail hours so you will be working a retail schedule.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Vitamin Shoppe. Our community is ready to answer.