The Vitamin Shoppe Employee Reviews

Key Holder to Store Manager
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 6, 2016
Excellent company to grow with. To make it beyond store manager you must have multi-unit experience and preferably a 4-year degree. Work life balance is exceptional in all roles. Compensation is about average compared to the retail industry. Job Security is exceptional except if you make a serious violation of company policy. Management is dependent upon your immediate supervisor or district manager. I have experienced both stability and instability depending on the district I was in. Culture is exceptional. Vitamin Shoppe is a health and wellness lifestyle brand. Should company benefits include more samples to partners all would benefit.
Cons
minimal staff
Great Structure With Many Flaws
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  NJJanuary 31, 2016
As an assistant manager for a company that I have worked multiple locations of. I must say the district managers and anybody above store level does not develop a relationship with you nor do they care for your advancement, Each manager I have encountered is very self centered catering the schedule specifically to their needs and ONLY their needs. As well as leaving early and or coming late. Do as they say and not as they do is their model. The end of the day its a retail job and end of the day your just another body, if you are seeking growth look else where.
Pros
Discount, Fun if you like health
Cons
customers think you are beneath them because well...its retail, higher management could careless just get it done
Helping people live a healthy and balanced lifestyle
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Peabody, MAMarch 22, 2016
I really enjoy working for this company, I do however feel like opportunities to move up are limited at best. I always want to move up and continue to be challenged.
Pros
Great culture, Great work environment, enjoy helping people
Cons
Limited promotion oppertunities
Very passionate culture with great training
Health Enthusiast (Current Employee) –  Clifton, NJOctober 16, 2015
Working at the Vitamin Shoppe was a great experience, especially coming from GNC. Vitamin Shoppe offered a great, fast paced environment that allowed me to get the training necessary to have a strong grasp on the supplements sold.
My only drawback with the company is the low level of job advancement and compensation. Pay is below average compared to responsibility. Also advancement is weak due to the fact that upper management would rather hire from outside sources rather than promoting within.
Overall from the stores I have worked for (Cifton/Brick NJ), I can truly say that these people care about the people they talk to. They are some of the most genuine people I have ever met and they all focus on one objective; the healthy lifestyle of their valued customers.
Pros
Experience, Knowledge, Discount
Cons
Advancement, Pay
Easy job, but very poor management.
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 8, 2016
The Vitamin Shoppe is a very easy place to work. They do not require any knowledge of products when starting, you'll learn on-th-job. I really enjoy working full-time here, unfortunately the management and upper management are horrible. They don't value their health enthusiasts/ employees. They're all very good at dancing around questions and not giving anyone the raises that were promised to them (Which are only 10 cents by the way! Talk about cheap!) It's very difficult to move up in the company. Since my employment began early last year, I've seen two women passed up for both the store manager, and assistant store manager positions even though though they expressed interest and have been with the company for years. They were not even given interviews before 2 men were brought in, one just hired from outside the company. Unfortunately, because of this disregard for their employees desires to move up in the company, I've seen a very high turn over rate with ASM's, and Key Holders. My hours have recently been cut from 40 to 30, and I am looking for a new job because the manager just doesn't care that I'm not making enough now to pay my bills. The managers do not care about their employees at all! I do not recommend this job. If you value yourself, you should look for a job where your co-workers and managers value you as well. They will not value you at The Vitamin Shoppe.
Pros
Easy, train on-the-job, health benefits, merch discount.
Cons
Poor management, do not value their employees.
Okay for a summer job...
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaFebruary 9, 2016
This job was great when I first started as a college student who needed some extra cash, but after almost four years (and a few promotions due to excessive turnover) this job has become a nightmare. Management at all levels is just horrible, corporate is greatly disconnected from the actual retail stores, and there are too many "changes" happening all at once.
Pros
Employee Discount
Cons
Everything Else
Average work-life balance, good product education, easy work environment
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Greater Boston AreaFebruary 2, 2016
Vitamin Shoppes pros right now are average work-life balance, good product education and easy and fun work environment..... and thats about it.
Pros
Nice co-workers, PTO, not physicly demanding, flexible schedules, discount and product education
Cons
compensation, poor leadership, no set schedule, and growth potential
Supportive and Inspiring place to work.
Assistant Manager/Manager in Training (Current Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAFebruary 29, 2016
A typical day at the "Shoppe" is never boring. The customers are always friendly and the team is like family. Trust and dependancy is abundant and there literally is never a day that goes by that one would ever dread going to work. The product knowledge is continually progressive and endless which makes the job intriguing and increasingly more satisfying and addictive. The hardest part of the job is learning where everything is in the store, but this comes with time and patience. The most enjoyable part of the job is the daily customer interaction, employee discount, exposure to the health and wellness industry and how much the company takes care of it's employees.
Pros
Employee discount rates, benefits, product and industry exposure.
Cons
None.
An excellent place to work, Great atmosphere, enthusiastic staff
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Pompano Beach, FLAugust 2, 2016
The vitamin Shoppe was an excellent place to work I used to come in every day with a smile on my face ready to conquer the days goals with my team and help everybody to the the Fullest extent. A typical day of work consisted of helping every customer that came into the store with their needs and questions, stocking and cleaning shelves, helping the other employees, and managing the employees under me. I learned a vast amount of information when it came to the supplements and ingredients and how they interacted with your body. The most enjoyable part of working out the vitamin Shoppe was being able to come in every day and know that I am welcomed and that everybody was there to help each other and work as a team and that the atmosphere was incredible.
Pros
discounted products, meeting new people, fun and enjoyable atmosphere
Cons
corporate was very strict
Well established company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toms River, NJAugust 16, 2016
Typical day at work consisted of maintaining proper inventory and professional appearance of store front. Greeting customers with understanding and knowledgeable assistance of products to meet specific needs. Learned through training program about the products being sold and benefits products had on the human body. Management at the time was a little to be desired; however, management as a whole was fantastic. Hardest part of the job was convincing customers to purchase certain products based of benefit to their health, rather than benefit to my compensation. Most enjoyable part of the job was everything learned in time spent in career.
Pros
Knowledge of products
Cons
management
Good Starter Job
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLJuly 14, 2016
I have a very mixed feeling about Vitamin Shoppe. Starting from just part-time help to an Assistant Manager, I began to notice the typical faults of a retail company that looses site on their employees and focus on numbers. Very micro-managing from the district managers and it is less about customer service than it is selling them a product, and other small items to a make a, "full basket". Yes that is an actual quote from one of the training guides, for what you are expected to do for each customer and that is to, "fill the basket". Beyond that I also felt very under appreciated for the work I was doing as well as severely under paid.
Poor Management, Poor Company Results
Inventory Manager (Former Employee) –  Secaucus, NJAugust 10, 2016
As a former employee, I strongly urge potential applicants to reconsider hitting the 'Submit' button when completing an application for a role with The Vitamin Shoppe.

Although the company's recent financial results should speak for themselves, it cannot be understated that The Vitamin Shoppe is an organization clearly moving in a southward direction. Arrogant, underperforming executive managers need to be replaced. Top-level decision making has negatively impacted the organizational culture, and the attrition rate (especially among certain departments) is embarrassingly high.

Applicants to Marketing and Merchandising roles may be okay, as the company's new CEO is a merchant at heart and the entirety of his investment in human resources reflects this orientation. Applications to other non-customer facing roles, though, should absolutely steer clear - it's not the place to grow!
Pros
Free samples, Summer Friday hours, Casual dress code
Cons
Poor Company Results, Little Opportunity for Growth, Management Incompetence, Management Relationships built on Nepotism
The Vitamin Shoppe
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  NYAugust 11, 2015
Assistant Manager hired 1 1/2 years ago. Pay rate is low. One year raise at 21 cents! Learning about store product is critical and the company has learning paths that are very good at educating on product. Store manager is not qualified or effective in position. Environment is good for retail - all customers are welcomed and addressed and assisted. Customers are treated as if they are important. Staff is not. Micro-management, lack of imagination and humor as well as zero people-skills possessed by my particular store manager make the job far less enjoyable than it could be. The hardest part of the position is staying motivated while enduring low wages and bad management. The most enjoyable is making connections with customers and having the tools/information to truly help them with their needs. My co-workers are mainly young, bright people using the job as short term income. Very difficult to hire new people due to the low wage. Very difficult to retain good people due to bad management.
Pros
Customer friendly.
Cons
Low pay. Bad management.
great place to work
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Syosset, NYJanuary 7, 2016
great upper management
nurtures talent and promotes from within
good work environment
great people
feels great to help customers with their wellness needs and not have to push products the customers don't need
Pros
great benefits, excellent people
Descent place to work.
Health Enthusiast (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXAugust 23, 2016
More for the younger crowed, because of the Sports Nutrition, the Company prides themselves on and their training is
very informational and beneficial for the employees and customers. Assisting and educating the Customers with the knowledge of products regarding their health goals,was very rewarding.
Pros
They are upon the Trends regarding Health issues.
Cons
Not good time management, especially during times shipment being received.
Productive fun work place with a ping pong table and gym
Customer Care Agent (Current Employee) –  North Bergen, NJOctober 18, 2015
The Vitamin Shoppe offers an arrangement of perks from a Gym to a ping pong table. There are a lot of cliques and if you are not friends with them, do not expect advancement. The amount of nepotism going on is sickening. The CEO and heads of the company try to make it a fun place to work, but they can't micromanage everything.
Pros
Free lunches occasionally, free product, company picnic
Cons
They boast about movement within the company but then are hesitant to promote from within.
Vitamin and supplement store
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Jensen Beach, FLSeptember 26, 2016
Has good store hours and has very knowledgeable employees. They train you to have great knowledge of vitamins and supplements. YOu have to help keep the store clean, educate and greet customers, upsell products and put away inventory as per there are two product deliveries a week. Great benefits, and room for advancement with the company.
Pros
benefits and product education
Cons
working sundays
Ok job.
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Mira Loma, CAFebruary 24, 2016
The work week is Sunday to Friday, 10 hours a day, Saturday was 8 hours a day. There is little time for personal life, you work, eat, sleep, get up, and go to work. They actually take time to train you, I loved meeting new people on the job, but it personally wasn't for me because of the days and hours.
Pros
Training, Organized, Simple work, chance to meet new people.
Cons
Long hours, Work Days, almost no days off
Most enjoyable part of the job
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 15, 2015
Worked at The Vitamin Shoppe for many years and became very familiar with several locations within Manhattan. Some of the best moments came from customer interactions. I really enjoyed helping and learning from the customers. Interacting with the customers was a great way to learn about new trends within the health and wellness industry. It is a very rewarding job if you want to a have an impact on customers' lives. Besides this, TVS pays too little attention to its store managers. Store Managers are often not held accountable for their lack of organization. Many stores do not have appropriate facilities such as restrooms and meeting areas. This would lead to managers having "on the spot coaching" or berating on a sales floor. TVS would greatly improve its service to the public by keeping its prices moderate and hiring more educated employees. Overall, retail is a thankless job and VS corporate office helps to solidify this by underpaying and cutting benefits to its retail employees.
Cons
Retail burnout. Not enough days off
boring
Health Enthusiast (Current Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLSeptember 25, 2016
as a part timer, the hardest thing you have to do is learn where each product is and be ready for a weird question about a supplement. youll get the hang of it within 2 months, ive been working here about a year now without getting promoted and its tiring because ive been told to always be doing a good job.
Pros
good raises, discounts.
Cons
no advancement, boring.